The Best 2016 Logo So Far

What is your favorite 2016 bid logo so far?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Of the 5 so far...

• Chicago
    • Doha
    • Madrid
    • Prague
    • Tokyo

IMO, theres nothing special in Chicago's logo... too predictable for an american city.

baku - boring looks like logo from corel draw

madrid - add more originality please, looks like a kindergarten art project

doha - you can see the originality and culture of the host country, something unique not the usual olympic colors

rio - like the use of brazilian colors of green and yellow

prague - like baku, too boring

tokyo - like the japanese concept in it.

so my choice would be - tokyo, doha and rio

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am still saying it here Chicago really need to impress me as an American(USA) city but it's not doing that yet!

I hate to say it, but why are you holding Chicago to a different standard? It shouldn't have to impress you more just because it's an American city. It should just have you impress you at all. If Chicago were not an American city, would you like the bid more?

Chicago is not creative enough.. can't any US city get rid of the star in their logos?

To answer your question, SLC did not have a star, in neither its bid nor games logo.

This comes up way too often. But I don't think I've heard the same for Russian/USSR bids. Moscow 1980 had a star in it. Sochi 2014 had a star in it. As baron pointed out, NYC2012 did not have a star and lost. So did Moscow 2012. But it only seems to be an American problem?

I think Chicago had a fantastic original logo. It had so many elements that worked will for its message, "Stir the soul," as well as represent the city's culture (art deco, the great fire, parks, lake michigan, dramatic skyline.) What I think Chicago did that was great was be proactive in changing the logo in accordance with new IOC guidelines. The end result is still a great logo. Not only did it retain elements of the original logo, but it now includes a direct image associated with the city, the 6-point star. To equate this to other American bids isn't exactly correct as this style of star is specific to Chicago.

SLC did not have a star, in neither its bid nor games logo.

Nor did Lake Placid 1980 nor Anchorage 1992 (which lost BTW).

Or why does the Red Sun appear on Japanese bids also? Tokyo 1964; Sapporo 1972.

Besides, the present Chicago 2016 star-logo was JUST 'forced' on them by the capricious rules of the IOC. Chicago had that brilliant torch logo which the IOC said 'infringed' on one of the IOC's symbols, as its initial logo. Absolute baloney because a torch has long been on the USOC's emblem (as they called them before 'logo' became fashionable). Chicago just complied rather than confront the IOC.

There are enduring national symbols: the Japanese have the Rising Sun; the Nazis had the swastika; the Israelis the Star of David; the Russians and the Americans have a basic star -- Red for the Russians, and whatever for the Yanks. The Canadians the maple leaf; the French always use their tri-color scheme in varying ways; the Aussies either the Southern Cross or the 'roos.

I hate to say it, but why are you holding Chicago to a different standard? It shouldn't have to impress you more just because it's an American city. It should just have you impress you at all. If Chicago were not an American city, would you like the bid more?

Yes! Am not impressed! Or are you trying to tell me here that it's not the USA, United States of America we all know to be the wonder making country's city that is presenting the logo? Again, am not impressed at all cos RIO is doing it better.

Yes! Am not impressed! Or are you trying to tell me here that it's not the USA, United States of America we all know to be the wonder making country's city that is presenting the logo? Again, am not impressed at all cos RIO is doing it better.

Are you answering yes to my question? So you say you would like all that Chicago has to offer, but just don't like that it's an American city?

If you like Rio's logo, that's fine. But it's difficult to value your opinion when you're holding another city to a different standard just because it's American.

Are you answering yes to my question? So you say you would like all that Chicago has to offer, but just don't like that it's an American city?

If you like Rio's logo, that's fine. But it's difficult to value your opinion when you're holding another city to a different standard just because it's American.

Don't even try to rationalize with him. He operates by a totally different set of marbles.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived