New Olympic Tv Network?

Remember all that talk about a possible Olympic TV network last year? If the USOC and COO Norm Bellingham has its way, we Americans could get it perhaps sooner rather than later. Really intrigued how they will do this and what would its first programming would be. In addition I think an international sports channel, say an ESPN International USA/Canada, would be great as well to cover international sports events that are under the radar (and aren't already covered on other cable networks and PPV) in the North American sports scene.

USA Today: USOC Olympic TV Network? (scroll down for it)

Remember all that talk about a possible Olympic TV network last year? If the USOC and COO Norm Bellingham has its way, we Americans could get it perhaps sooner rather than later. Really intrigued how they will do this and what would its first programming would be. In addition I think an international sports channel, say an ESPN International USA/Canada, would be great as well to cover international sports events that are under the radar (and aren't already covered on other cable networks and PPV) in the North American sports scene.

USA Today: USOC Olympic TV Network? (scroll down for it)

Naaah. Ain't gonna get the numbers to succeed. I mean, in between Olympics, there are probably less than 250 people in the conitguous 48 (OK, bring it up to 400 including Canada) who would care about and be glued to old footage, etc., until the next Games come around. They sort of tried this already and it didn't go anywhere.

Naaah. Ain't gonna get the numbers to succeed. I mean, in between Olympics, there are probably less than 250 people in the conitguous 48 (OK, bring it up to 400 including Canada) who would care about and be glued to old footage, etc., until the next Games come around. They sort of tried this already and it didn't go anywhere.

thats true. But it would be great to be able to look back on old footage on a dedicated channel. The channel could have nightly news updates tracking the progress of olympic sties and other news. Would be a great idea

What was that network called exactly and what it featured?

This new incarnation may not eventually have the numbers to justify it. But I think it could go the NBATV (Raptors TV in Canada), Tennis Channel, NFL Network, and the NHL Channel in Canada route if done right. The potential is there. I can see the Olympiad series (which I know Baron-Pierre does not like), the Bud Greenspan-produced stuff like 16 Days of Glory, and maybe Goodwill Games footage to go along with archival Olympic footage from the past and original presentations of up-and-coming US Olympians. Seeing all of the old footage again and stuff that we didn't see on US TV (like the 1980 Moscow Olympics and classification stuff) would be great as it provides a another option as a dedicated channel. It could also broadcast live sporting events involving US Olympic like what Superstation WTBS used to with US Olympic Gold in the late 80s and early 90s on Saturdays and carry international events. Big question is will it be a basic cable network or commercial PPV for digital satelitte?

Archived