2016 Bookmakers Odds

The first odds for 2016 seem to have been posted overnight _ online-betting in the Uk didn't have a book open yesterday, but checking there today, I see the following market:

Chicago _ 1.72

Rio _ 3.25

Tokyo _ 7.5

Madrid _ 12

Qatar (Doha) _ 16

Baku _ 29

Interesting to see that Prague wasn't quoted (maybe its odds are even further out than Baku's)

Interesting, but a bit early perhaps ahead of the IOC questionaire

Online-Betting Guide

Actually, I saw that yesterday when I posted the other link. Now, you're going to throw all the Rio-istas into another frenzy.

When I clicked on your link yesterday, it had the Rio story, but the 2016 market had something like "Market not open yet". It was only today I noticed the quotes there.

Just wait till the anglo conspiracy theories start!

Actually, I saw that yesterday when I posted the other link. Now, you're going to throw all the Rio-istas into another frenzy.

Baron...

We "Rio-istas" are not surprised Rio is well-quoted...

I wonder if the bookmakers have any clue. The 2012 Rio assessment was devastating - just because they hosted a relatively successful PanAms since that bid cycle will not improve the cities score in the areas of transport/accommodation/security etc...

If Rio shortlists this time I will be very wary of the IOC's intentions. It will smack of nothing but geopolitics.

By saying that I may have a flutter on Tokyo as they odds are going to shorten immensely come January.

• 4 weeks later...
I wonder if the bookmakers have any clue. The 2012 Rio assessment was devastating - just because they hosted a relatively successful PanAms since that bid cycle will not improve the cities score in the areas of transport/accommodation/security etc...

If Rio shortlists this time I will be very wary of the IOC's intentions. It will smack of nothing but geopolitics.

By saying that I may have a flutter on Tokyo as they odds are going to shorten immensely come January.

I spoke frequently with the oddsmaker for centerbet.com (based in Australia) who handicapped the 2012 race. He took the bid fundamentals into consideration somewhat early in the race - but the rest was driven by the betting and the money coming in - just like in most other handicapping. In the hours leading up to the 2012 election he said a lot of money was coming in for NYC which improved its odds significantly. We all know how that turned out.

For 2016 Rio is in a strong second. I guess that means a lot of bets are coming in for Rio from the general public. Chicago is first, perhaps where it should be but I would also imagine that the United States makes up a large portion of the online gamblers, and Americans would be naturally biased towards Chicago.

So to answer your question, the bookmakers probably do have a clue, it's the betters who may not.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting article from the Chicago Trib. Note the bookmakers odds they give at the end:

IOC: World Cup would help Rio's Olympic bid

By Philip Hersh | Tribune Olympic sports reporter

December 12, 2007

LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Having the soccer World Cup in 2014 will help rather than hurt Rio de Janeiro's chances to be chosen 2016 Summer Games host, International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge said Wednesday.

Rio is among Chicago's six rivals in the 2016 competition. The IOC members will choose the winner Oct. 2, 2009.

Rogge clearly disagrees with those who think Brazil, and especially Rio, may lack the capacity to handle the world's two biggest sporting events in a two-year period.

``Rio 2016 would benefit from the investment made by the FIFA World Cup,'' Rogge said. ``There will be better roads, new stadiums, more facilities, more infrastructure. There will be also a big pool of volunteers which Rio 2016 will be able to tap should they be given the right to organize the Games.

``I don't think that the IOC members will link a potential vote in 2016 to something that has happened in 2014. They are two different electorates. I don't think one will impede on the other.''

FIFA awarded the 2014 World Cup to Brazil in October. It was the only candidate for the month-long tournament.

Mexico (1968-70), Germany (1972-74) and the United States (1992-94) have staged the Olympics and World Cup in a two-year period, but both events are nearly twice as large as they were in Mexico and Germany.

The growth involves not only numbers of teams and athletes but numbers of media, sponsors and guests the country must accommodate. There also are significant challenges in finding enough national sponsorship money to bankroll both in such a short span.

Two British internet gambling sites make Chicago the 2016 favorite and Rio the top challenger.

One site, www.betbrain.com, lists Chicago at 1.7-1, Rio at 3.3-1 and Tokyo third at 7.7-1. The other, bet365.com, has Chicago at 1.72-1, Rio at 3.25-1 and Tokyo at 8-1.

Both oddsmakers surprisingly put Doha, Qatar in fourth, ahead of Madrid. Prague and Baku, Azerbaijan, the other two candidates, are far back.

As I said, interesting to see them put Doha ahead of Madrid. Realistically, that's probably quite correct (though i would say madrid is a cert for the short list).

Archived