Beijing Qualifying Schedule

Rei

Swimming trials for Beijing :

(lots of new world record to predict between June 29 and July 6 with the new LZR Racer)

Australia - March 22-29

New Zealand - March 25-30

Great Britain - March 31-April 6

Canada - April 1-6

South Africa - April 1-6

Poland - April 3--6

Switzerland - April 3-6

Germany - April 14-19

Japan - April 15-20

Greece - May 16-18

Netherlands - June 5-8

USA - June 29-July 6

Ukraine - July 1-5

Denmark - July 1-6

Sweden - July 16-20

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Germany doesn't qualify for field hockey it would be shocking.

Germany qualified this morning. So the men hockey tournament is complete.

The drawing is next month after all women qualification tournaments, according to Sportsworld, the official ticket agent of Great Brittain.

The first women's qualification tournament is taking place, Azerbaijan, Spain and Ukraine are all 2-0.

Yes! Kenya, Chile and Belarus are 0-2...

I think the final match will be Azerbaijan-Spain, and it'll be perfect if Spain wins and qualifies :lol:

Yes! Kenya, Chile and Belarus are 0-2...

I think the final match will be Azerbaijan-Spain, and it'll be perfect if Spain wins and qualifies :lol:

I don't see any other outcome then Spain winning and going to the Olympics.

I don't see any other outcome then Spain winning and going to the Olympics.

Well, Azerbaijan did draw against Spain at the last EuroHockey, so it would not be inconceivable for them to win the tournament, altought it is true that Spain has to be the favourite.

Well, Azerbaijan did draw against Spain at the last EuroHockey, so it would not be inconceivable for them to win the tournament, altought it is true that Spain has to be the favourite.

Wow! :blink:

Spain incredibly defeated Azerbaijan 4-0 on Wednesday. So Spain will be in the final as well as the winner of the Azerbaijan-Ukraine match tomorrow. If they draw, then Azerbaijan will play in the final match with Spain.

Start in two days

Synchro Swimming Olympic Qualification Tournament

All the details in their website :

http://www.synchroswim2008.org.cn/en/

(Canada should grab one of the available spot)

By the moment, Spain, Japan and Canada are the best three teams at the tournament. Spain and Japan are favourites. The third spot will be between Canada and Italy ;)

Good luck!

Wow! :blink:

Spain incredibly defeated Azerbaijan 4-0 on Wednesday. So Spain will be in the final as well as the winner of the Azerbaijan-Ukraine match tomorrow. If they draw, then Azerbaijan will play in the final match with Spain.

By the moment, Spain, Japan and Canada are the best three teams at the tournament. Spain and Japan are favourites. The third spot will be between Canada and Italy ;)

Good luck!

Canada consistently beats Italy in competition standings so hopefully that trend continues.

Well, some qualification news:

Synchronized Swimming

Qualified for team event: Spain, Japan and Canada (joins China, Russia, the USA, Egypt and Australia)

Qualified for the duet event: Italy, Ukraine, Greece, Netherlands, Switzerland, Brazil, France, Israel, North Korea, Kazakhstan, Mexico and Great Britain (New-Zealand and every NOC qualified for the team event are already qualified for the duet. Three other quota places are TBD).

Taekwondo

Invitational quotas:

men's -58kg: Belize

men's -68kg: Afghanistan

women's -57kg: Nigeria

women's -67kg: United Arab Emirates

Triathlon

Invitational quotas:

Men's: Omar Tayara (Syria)

Women's: Flora Duffy (Bermuda)

Glad Canada went in. But I feel a little bad for Australia, the defending silver medalists, not qualifying... :(

It sucks big time being it could be the last tme we see this sport at the Olympics. Thats the price we pay for having our best player in Asia and not being able to get clerances from the Asian team to play for Australia aganst Asian teams.

Women's field hockey qualifications are ongoing in the other one and started today.

The United States, India, Netherlands Antilles were all winners in Kazan, Russia over respectively, Belguim, Russia, and France. France replaces Chinese Taipei and Uruguay does the same for Cuba in the qualifier. The winner goes through and I think the US has a very good shot; the American women needed that win over the Belgians. France's next.

The draw for Football has been completed.

Men's

Group A:

Côte d'Ivoire

Argentina

Australia

Serbia

Group B:

Netherlands

Nigeria

Japan

United States of America

(Probably the group of death)

Group C:

China PR

New Zealand

Brazil

Belgium

(China gets a relatively king group, except for Brazil).

Group D:

Korea Republic

Cameroon

Honduras

Italy

Women's

Group E:

China PR

Sweden

Argentina

Canada

Group F:

Korea DPR

Nigeria

Germany

Brazil

(THE group of death, and hands down the most interesting group in the men's or the women's tournament)

Group G:

Norway

United States of America

Japan

New Zealand

The draw for Football has been completed.

Men's

Group A:

Côte d'Ivoire

Argentina

Australia

Serbia

Group B:

Netherlands

Nigeria

Japan

United States of America

(Probably the group of death)

Group C:

China PR

New Zealand

Brazil

Belgium

(China gets a relatively king group, except for Brazil).

Group D:

Korea Republic

Cameroon

Honduras

Italy

Women's

Group E:

China PR

Sweden

Argentina

Canada

Group F:

Korea DPR

Nigeria

Germany

Brazil

(THE group of death, and hands down the most interesting group in the men's or the women's tournament)

Group G:

Norway

United States of America

Japan

New Zealand

That is going to be a tough time for New Zealand

April 22

United States 7 France 0

Belgium 3 India 2

Netherlands Antilles 3 Russia 1

With such a massive goal differential the United States have, the ticket to Beijing can just about be punched to them. If they can defeat or tie the Netherlands Antilles (ten American goals ahead of them in the standings) before the first place game, they can come into that with loads of confidence. Tiffany Snow enjoyed a hat trick in the Americans' game against Russia. Remember they narrowly missed qualifying for Sydney and Athens, finishing sixth in the latter's qualifying tournament behind South Korea but ahead 2012 hosts Great Britain.

I should've Russia's next on my Saturday post

France and Russia lack the immense international experience. Actually I'm a bit disappointed with the Russian women in their performance as hosts. On the other hand, the Russians lack a recent Olympic history in field hockey (but so do the Americans except for as hosts in 1996). India's situation is like that of the men: imagine how worse the saga is for the women with the issue of a lack of artificial grass fields, for one.

Over in the women's soccer field, I think Germany and Brazil, the 2007 WWC finalists in China, will be fine and will finish 1-2 out of their group. Though DPR Korea will give them their all, I wish the Matildas qualified instead.

I feel bad for the SWANZ: another international pounding for them awaits. One of the consequences of (Soccer Australia, I prefer this former name over FFA) didn't leave OFC for the AFC, but the OFC's president recommended and supported the move.

I agree.

Thursday, April 24--Women's Field Hockey Olympic Qualification Tournament #2

Belgium 3 Netherlands Antilles 2

United States 4 India 0

Russia 5 France 2

Now the Americans have 13-goal margin ahead of the second place Belgians in their group, leading all teams with 19. I thought that on the 26th, the final match in group play versus the Netherlands Antilles would set the stage for the Final and a trip to Beijing. That has changed for the time being though. Unless the host Russians play spoiler, they will face a tough against the Belgians in their final group game with the possibility of facing France to stay away from last place.

April 26 will start the third and final women's field hockey Olympic qualifier in Victoria, BC. The teams:

Canada

Ireland

Italy

South Korea

Malaysia

Ururguay (replaces Cuba)

Tournament ends May 4, and I'm sure the Canadians' progress will be tracked here on these boards. I believe South Korea will win this.

In the first women's qualifier, the Kenyan women withdrew due to the political turmoil in their country but eventually came back to play finishing sixth after losing to Belarus.

The American women are going back to the Olympics in field hockey for the first time as hosts in 1996 andf their first offshore Olympics since 1988 in a eight-team field. Rachel Dawson was name the Olympic Qualifier Tournament MVP and Tiffany Snow was the top scorer of the tournament with her six goals. They held a +15 goal differential up to the end. They defeated Belgium once again in the final in Kazan, Russia 3-1 to have their tickets punched to Beijing! :)

April 26

United States 3 Netherlands Antilles 1

India 7 France 0

Russia 0 Belgium 0

April 27

Russia 1 France 0--Fifth place game

Netherlands Antilles 2 India 1--Third place game

United States 3 Belgium 1--Final

Rani Devi of India was named the Most Promising Young Player of the Tournament. Belgium's Elizabeth Achten was voted Best Goalteander.

Women's Field Hockey Beijing 2008 Draw is set with the field complete:

POOL A

The Netherlands

Australia

Spain

South Korea

South Africa

China

POOL B

USA

Argentina

Germany

Japan

New Zealand

Great Britain

Pool A is really dangerous, and I'm glad the Americans aren't in it because they'll get swallowed alive by the Hockeyroos, the Dutch, South Korea, and Spain. The only big threats in their group are the defending gold medalists from Germany, New Zealand (Black Stix?), and Argentina. Don't know much about Great Britian--likely the Brits are dress rehearsing for 2012. I think the American women could get out into the medal round and perhaps surprise since they were oh so close in qualifying for both 2000 and 2004, got themselves an Australian medalist for a coach--Lee Bodimeade, a 2006 Coach of the Year, and therefore got more competitive. We'll see how things turn out in the end. It's going to be fun!

April 26

South Korea 10 Uruguay 0

Italy 2 Canada 1

Ireland 3 Malaysia 0

April 27

Italy 4 Uruguay 0

Ireland 2 Canada 0

South Korea 5 Malaysia 0

April 29

Ireland 1 Uruguay 0

South Korea 5 Italy 0

Canada 1 Malaysia 0

May 1

South Korea 5 Italy 1

Italy 0 Malaysia 0

Canada 5 Uruguay 0

May 3

Malaysia 3 Uruguay 0

South Korea 4 Canada 0

Italy 2 Ireland 0

May 4

Malaysia 2 Uruguay 2 (Malaysia wins 3-2 in penalty shots)--fifth place

Ireland 2 Canada 1--third place

South Korea 5 Italy 0--Final

MVP and Top Scorer--Park Mi-Hyun (South Korea)

Best Goaltender--Sarah Forbes (Canada)

Fair Play--Italy

Uruguay couldn't have done it any worse than the Cubans had the latter made the trip in my view, having been scoreless up until the fifth place game. They were just happy to score a goal.