Beijing Qualifying Schedule

Rei

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The New Zealand Mens Hockey team has qualified for the Olympic Games today after winning the olympic hockey qualifing tournament in Auckland. New Zealand beat Argentina 3-2 in extra time in the final

Final ranking:

1. New Zealand

2. Argentina

3. France

4. Ireland

5. Trinidad and Tobago

6. United States of America

All three teams that won there ranking match (New Zealand, France and T&T) had lost to the team they faced in there ranking match during the pool stage of the tournament (Argentina 3 - 1 New Zealand, Ireland 4 - 0 France and USA 4 - 2 T&T).

Final ranking:

1. New Zealand

2. Argentina

3. France

4. Ireland

5. Trinidad and Tobago

6. United States of America

All three teams that won there ranking match (New Zealand, France and T&T) had lost to the team they faced in there ranking match during the pool stage of the tournament (Argentina 3 - 1 New Zealand, Ireland 4 - 0 France and USA 4 - 2 T&T).

Wow thats and interesting statistic!

To be totally honest I am a little bit surprised, I expected Argentina to win. So, now who will win the last two tournaments?

Austria, Chile, Great Britain, India, Mexico and Russia will face off in Santiago while Germany, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Poland and Switzerland will battle for the very last Olympic spot in Kakamigahara. Anyone up for some predictions? Here are mine:

Tournament II:

1. India

2. Great Britain

3. Chile

4. Austria

5. Russia

6. Mexico

Tournament III:

1. Germany

2. Japan

3. Malaysia

4. Poland

5. Switzerland

6. Italy

Today start the Women's Water Polo qualification tournament in Italy

Only four spots for Beijing available (12 teams in the tournament).

Note that 4 countries are allready qualified (China, USA, Netherlands and Australia0

Good chance for Canada to grab a ticket for Beijing.

3 games now finished :

Germany beat Brazil

Greece beat Puerto Rico

Spain beat Kazakhstan

3 more games to be play later today

You can follow the results on this site : http://www.waterpolo-world.com/o.red.c/news.php?auswahl=1529

To be totally honest I am a little bit surprised, I expected Argentina to win. So, now who will win the last two tournaments?

Austria, Chile, Great Britain, India, Mexico and Russia will face off in Santiago while Germany, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Poland and Switzerland will battle for the very last Olympic spot in Kakamigahara. Anyone up for some predictions? Here are mine:

Tournament II:

1. India

2. Great Britain

3. Chile

4. Austria

5. Russia

6. Mexico

Tournament III:

1. Germany

2. Japan

3. Malaysia

4. Poland

5. Switzerland

6. Italy

yes i agree with you. After Argentina beat us in the pool matches i expected we would lose the final. It was a fantastic game in the final! Very excitingh. I think Germany and Great Britain will go through from the other two tournaments.

Today start the Women's Water Polo qualification tournament in Italy

Only four spots for Beijing available (12 teams in the tournament).

Note that 4 countries are allready qualified (China, USA, Netherlands and Australia0

Good chance for Canada to grab a ticket for Beijing.

3 games now finished :

Germany beat Brazil

Greece beat Puerto Rico

Spain beat Kazakhstan

3 more games to be play later today

You can follow the results on this site : http://www.waterpolo-world.com/o.red.c/news.php?auswahl=1529

There is only 8 teams in the women's tournament.

You're right. My mistake.

Yesterday, I wrote that I made a mistake without taking time to verify.

Today, wanting to know Canada's result for today game and how they rank in their group, I realized that I was right in the first place. There's 12 teams in the women's olympic qualification tournament

Group A : Greece, Russia, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Puerto Rico.

Group B: Hungary, Spain, Canada, Kazakhstan, Cuba, Czech Republic.

But I agree that in the Olympic Tournament in august there will be only eight team

Sorry for the confusion

Edited by Chateau Petrus

Any news on the men's African water polo Olympic qualification? Has South Africa officially got the invite?

Eight teams allready got their ticket for Beijing Olympics :

Croatia – 2007 FINA World Championships

Hungary – 2007 FINA World Championships

Spain – 2007 FINA World Championships

Serbia – 2007 FINA League

China – hosting nation and continental representative Asia

USA – continental representative Americas

Montenegro – continental representative Europe

Australia – continental representative Oceania

The four others spots for the olympic will be determined at qualification tournament wich will be held from 1 to 9 of march in Romania (in Oredia)

Here's the twelve teams who will compete in that tournament :

Group A

Romania

Russia

Brazil

Greece

Kazakhstan

(America)

Group B

Mexico

Germany

Iran

Italy

Canada

Macedonia

It seems that South Africa will not be there. I'm disapointed for them because at the 2005 FINA World Championship (where I was involved as a volunteer at the Water Polo tournament), it was the team I had the most fun with. They were the most friendly and I remembered having lot of long and nice convesation with some of the players.

Edited by Chateau Petrus

Waterpolo, Women's WQT

Russia and Hungary already qualified being first at their respective groups. Within few hours, the quarter finals Italy-Spain and Canada-Greece decide the last two spots for Beijing.

So happy Canada avoided Italy and Spain in the quarters. I really hope Canada wins and qualifies there have been already a lot of disappointments in qualifying, volleyball and basketball especially.

Durban - Africa has been stripped of their qualifying spots.

I take it that the team is eliminated for qualifying now??

Yup, all four semi-finalist qualified, and Canada just lost its quarterfinal...

So, the final line-up for the women's is China, the Netherlands, the USA, Australia, Hungary, Russia, Italy and Greece.

So happy Canada avoided Italy and Spain in the quarters. I really hope Canada wins and qualifies there have been already a lot of disappointments in qualifying, volleyball and basketball especially.

Dissapointments happened in Spain too :unsure:

For exemple:

- 4th at the European Hockey Championships (3 teams qualified)

- 2nd at the European Volleyball QT (the winner [sRB] qualified)

- 2nd at the EuroBasket Women (the winner [RUS] qualified)

- We did terrible handball qualifying tournaments

- And now, lost to Italy at the WP QT (anyway, congratulations Italy)

So now I'm looking forward to the Baseball Qualifying Tournament in Taiwan (7-14 March), 8 teams (RSA, AUS, MEX, CAN, ESP, GER, KOR & TPE) will fight for 3 spots.

Hey, Canadians, do you have a good baseball team? :rolleyes: I think Spain is capable to win the matches against Germany and possibly South Africa, I'm almost sure they'll lose to Korea and Chinese Taipei, but I don't know what will happen with Mexico, Canada or Australia.

Dissapointments happened in Spain too :unsure:

For exemple:

- 4th at the European Hockey Championships (3 teams qualified)

- 2nd at the European Volleyball QT (the winner [sRB] qualified)

- 2nd at the EuroBasket Women (the winner [RUS] qualified)

- We did terrible handball qualifying tournaments

- And now, lost to Italy at the WP QT (anyway, congratulations Italy)

So now I'm looking forward to the Baseball Qualifying Tournament in Taiwan (7-14 March), 8 teams (RSA, AUS, MEX, CAN, ESP, GER, KOR & TPE) will fight for 3 spots.

Hey, Canadians, do you have a good baseball team? :rolleyes: I think Spain is capable to win the matches against Germany and possibly South Africa, I'm almost sure they'll lose to Korea and Chinese Taipei, but I don't know what will happen with Mexico, Canada or Australia.

Well the top 4 in Athens were Cuba-Australia-Japan-Canada.

Canada has a decent chance to come in third, I would say Taiwan, Australia and Canada could be the final three but you never know.

Well the top 4 in Athens were Cuba-Australia-Japan-Canada.

Canada has a decent chance to come in third, I would say Taiwan, Australia and Canada could be the final three but you never know.

Wikipedia has a lot of information and I found that the teams that were in Athens and will play the qualifying tournament on March are Canada, Australia and Chinese Taipei so they can qualify again ;)

Anyway I want Spain to qualify for the second time in history (the first time we qualified was Barcelona 1992 because we were the host nation...) but I think we'll come in 5th or 6th :unsure: Well, as you said, you never know!

Men's Volley

WORLD OLYMPIC QUALIFICATION TOURNAMENTS

Tournaments in Germany, Portugal, Japan

• May 23-25, Dusseldorf, Germany 4 teams: Germany + 3 teams decided by drawing of lots

• May 30 - June 1, Espinho, Portugal 4 teams: Portugal + 3 teams decided by drawing of lots

• May 31 - June 8, Tokyo, Japan 8 teams: Japan + 4 Asian teams best ranked in the Asian Continental Championship (Australia, Korea, Iran, Thailand) + 3 teams decided by drawing of lots.

Drawing of lots: 3 best ranked teams from Europe (Poland, Spain, Italy), 2 from Norceca (Puerto Rico, Cuba), 1 from South America (Argentina), 1 from Africa (Algeria), 2 from Asia (Indonesia, Chinese Taipei). The drawing of lots will be conducted in Tokyo, 3 March 2008

fivb.org

Its sickening to see a drawing of the lot having such bearing on who qualifies for Beijing in Volleyball...

Honestly, the way qualifications are organised for indoor volleyball are total crap...

Sorry for the lateness in this. But I gotta say it just isn't fair to me that South Africa, or any nation in Africa for that matter, will not get to qualify in water polo simply because of the fact that Africa was stripped of its qualification spots for water polo. Almost all of the other team sports have spots for Africa. Are the IOC and FINA organizers afraid that South Africa or maybe Egypt would be ill-equipped to maintain the talent level so that the scores won't get run up? Surely South Africa is capable to be competitive and would be thrilled to participate in Beijing regardless, especially with plans are underway to create the Samsung National Water Polo League in South Africa possibly being the tonic it needs to deepen its national talent base globally in international play. Perhaps we can blame this on the lack of water polo in the All-Africa Games last year in Algiers, but the African teams need big-time competition even in the qualifications. Had they failed to qualify for Beijing in a tournament, that's OK in my mind.

Keeping it in water polo, I need to express my disappointment that the Canadian women will not get to make its third consecutive Olympic water polo appearance. But that may be chalked up to how other nations, the non-powers, have gotten better in the sport in four years time since Athens. I do wish that the field was expanded to 10 teams, but of course there arises concerns of gigantism. But you have to feel for the young ladies for they were unlucky in the draw and in the playoff format. And that's one less team sport Canada will engage in Beijing, which is not good. I don't have much faith in the men right now to be honest even with their win over Iran today...