5. COQT - Africa

6. COQT - Asia *

7. Russia - Europe

8. Cuba - Norceca

9. Venezuela - South America

10. WOQT - Japan *

11. WOQT - Japan *

12. WOQT - Japan *

Russia joins the likes of Brazil, Usa and Venezuela qualifying both Men's and Women's teams.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish volleyball would get more coverage in Canada, its good to watch but since Canada doesn't have a team they don't show much of it. But CBC does co-opt some US teams to show coverage because of the US audience they get.

Actually, chances are you will se some Volleyball on CBC this year, since Canada has been invited to the 2008 World League. I remember seeing two or three World League games on CBC that involved Canada last year (out of eight).

Actually, chances are you will se some Volleyball on CBC this year, since Canada has been invited to the 2008 World League. I remember seeing two or three World League games on CBC that involved Canada last year (out of eight).

Canada withdrew from the World League because funding to volleyball has been severely cut.

CBC

Canada withdrew from the World League because funding to volleyball has been severely cut

That's not good news.

And I heard that Montreal will probably loss his Swatch-FIVB Beach Volleyball Tournament (held in july at Jarry Park) because of the same money problem.

Canada withdrew from the World League because funding to volleyball has been severely cut.

CBC

Talk about bullshit... Thats the kind of things you would expect from a country like Ethiopia, not Canada...

Volleyball is a beautiful game. I slightly favor the (indoor) women's game over the men's because their game is a beautiful combination of both power AND grace. Whereas the men's game is just pure power; it's all kill- kill- kill; very little guile in the men's game. (I played the sport for like 22 years.)

By the way, shocker in the women's African Olympic Qualification Tournament: Algeria wins in Blida and they will send there Women's Indoor Volleyball team to the Olympics for the first time ever.

Canada Volleyball sure could use the money in the World League if it went further. If a western nation can't afford to take part any longer, you know there are serious problems in that organization. Fox334, I'm with you on this: Ethiopia I can expect, but not the Canadians.

I recommend Australia to replace Canada.

The South African women are performing disappointingly. Great to see Algeria playing so well in qualifying for the Olympics as hosts in the African qualifying.

Waterpolo| World Qualifying Torunaments: Africa withdraws. One more place available.

Men's WQT, scheduled on 2-9 March in Oradea (Romania)

group A: Brazil, Kazakistan, Portorico, Romania, Russia

group B: Canada, Germany, Iran, Italy, Macedonia, Messsico

Women's WQT, scheduled on 19-24 February in Imperia (Italy)

group A: Brazil, Germany, Greece, Italy, Portorico, Russia

group B: Canada, Czech Rep., Cuba, Hungary, Kazakistan, Spain

Men's qualified teams

1. China

2. Croatia (1st WC),

3. Hungary (2nd WC),

4. Spagna (3rd WC),

5. USA (PanamericaQT),

6. Serbia (1st World League),

7. Australia (Oceania series),

8. Montenegro (EuropeQT).

Women's qualified teams

1. China

2. USA (PanamericaQT),

3. Australia (Oceania series),

4. Netherlands (EuropeQT).

Thanks to Coni for the infos.

That's not good news.

And I heard that Montreal will probably loss his Swatch-FIVB Beach Volleyball Tournament (held in july at Jarry Park) because of the same money problem.

It's now official

F I V B FEDERATION INTERNATIONALE DE VOLLEYBALL

PRESS RELEASE 29.01.2008

MONTREAL CANCELLED

The Montreal Open, scheduled in the calendar from 8 to 13 July, has been cancelled due to financial problems faced by Volleyball Canada, which forced this National Federation to also withdraw from the 2008 World League. At this stage, the CEV Championship Final scheduled on 10-13 July in Hamburg (included in the Olympic Games qualification system) will be held without any clashes with the World Tour as it was in 2007.

February:

Sailing (Yngling), WCs

08.02.2008 / 15.02.2008

Miami

Waterpolo (Women), WQT

17.02.2008 / 24.02.2008

Imperia

Diving, WQT

19.02.2008 / 24.02.2008

Beijing

Boxing, EQT

24.02.2008 / 02.03.2008

Roseto degli Abruzzi

It's now official

F I V B FEDERATION INTERNATIONALE DE VOLLEYBALL

PRESS RELEASE 29.01.2008

MONTREAL CANCELLED

The Montreal Open, scheduled in the calendar from 8 to 13 July, has been cancelled due to financial problems faced by Volleyball Canada, which forced this National Federation to also withdraw from the 2008 World League. At this stage, the CEV Championship Final scheduled on 10-13 July in Hamburg (included in the Olympic Games qualification system) will be held without any clashes with the World Tour as it was in 2007.

Olympic Qualification will be over in April.

Talk about bullshit... Thats the kind of things you would expect from a country like Ethiopia, not Canada...

What has Ethiopia done to Canadia that bullshit is to be expected from it?

What has Ethiopia done to Canadia that bullshit is to be expected from it?

Its a reference to the fact that Ethiopia whitdrew of both the men's and the women's Olympic football qualification after reaching the final stage of qualification (the final 12 for the mens and the final 4 for the womens).

Its nothing personal, its just that while I was not overly shocked from seeing a country that is relatively poor whitdrawing from a major sporting event for financial reasons, but the fact that Canada, a relatively rich country, whitdrew from a major sport competition do to lack of funds did surprise me. Thats all.

Its nothing personal, its just that while I was not overly shocked from seeing a country that is relatively poor whitdrawing from a major sporting event for financial reasons, but the fact that Canada, a relatively rich country, whitdrew from a major sport competition do to lack of funds did surprise me. Thats all.

I remembered I read in the news few months ago that Canada will cut a lot in the subvention for summer's sports federation to be able to give more for the winter's one because they said it's more important to win medals in 2010 than 2008.

I don't necessarelly agree with that.

Volleyball is maybe the first sport to be affected by that decision and unfortunelly we may see other sad story like that.

It's OK to try to win the most medals as the host country. But at what price ?

I remembered I read in the news few months ago that Canada will cut a lot in the subvention for summer's sports federation to be able to give more for the winter's one because they said it's more important to win medals in 2010 than 2008.

Volleyball is maybe the first sport to be affected by that decision and unfortunelly we may see other sad story like that.

Something needs to be done about the Canadian amatuer sports scene in regards to what are considered summer sports get a bigger financial package comparable to the winter ones. What we're seeing is the consequence of a downward slide for Canada when it comes to the summer Olympics, which seemingly happens every now and then.

Congrats to the Algerian women! Hopefully they'll become a perrenial power out of Africa just like the men were for a time.

Countries tend to gravitate attention to the season they perform better in. Plus, domestic OG success is ALWAYS a better factor than foreign OG success. Not only that but 2010 is aiming to be the glorified year when Canada breaks its own olympic curse: not having won ANY olympic gold medals on home soil EVER.

Countries tend to gravitate attention to the season they perform better in. Plus, domestic OG success is ALWAYS a better factor than foreign OG success. Not only that but 2010 is aiming to be the glorified year when Canada breaks its own olympic curse: not having won ANY olympic gold medals on home soil EVER.

Its not like we are the only one.