Sign in to follow this  
Durban Sandshark

Some More Olympic Tv Updates

NBC's broadcast of the OC sucked big balls.

Ugh. <_<

I'm watching it right now, halfway through the parade of nations and i can tell you it's a ton better than what CBC did.

Williams and Lauer are amazing this year, and NBC's coverage hardly cuts anything and it keeps the same flow the ceremonies had.

CBC completely butchered the opening this year.

I'm watching it right now, halfway through the parade of nations and i can tell you it's a ton better than what CBC did.

Williams and Lauer are amazing this year, and NBC's coverage hardly cuts anything and it keeps the same flow the ceremonies had.

CBC completely butchered the opening this year.

Were you watching the same NBC coverage that I watched? It was HORRIBLE! Bob Costas is a fucking asshole! Matt Lauer is a fucking dick! He starts the broadcast saying "Let's leave the politics out of this". Five minutes later, he and Costas are talking politics.

In NBCs coverage the Olympic flag didn't go around the track. They broke away for a commercial about every 7 minutes. It seemed as though Costas and Lauer wanted the audience to boo certain countries during the Parade of Nations. Instead of talking about the athletes from the different countries, Matt Lauer would talk about his experiences in that country. Who fucking cares!? This isn't "Where in the World is Matt Lauer"!

The only time the coverage was good was when Costas and Lauer kept their mouths shut.

The NBC commentators were absolute shyte. I wish I could've muted them.

"To a Western audience, looking at a bunch of Chinese guys doing karate around a bunch of schoolchildren may seem confusing, but the message here is very clear."

That just about sums it up.

Where'd you see that? I've been trying to find info on the Olympic Update show (which according to the NBC media guide is going to happen), but haven't seen it in any program listings. And now when I do a google search for it, the only relevant thing I get is from this thread.. which I posted.

I was watching MSNBC yesterday to see what they would have to say about the ceremonies. There will be four anchors it appears. One of them, will be one of the guys from Morning Joe (Not Joe Scarbroe, sp?). I didn't really recognize any of the other three.

Were you watching the same NBC coverage that I watched? It was HORRIBLE! Bob Costas is a fucking asshole! Matt Lauer is a fucking dick! He starts the broadcast saying "Let's leave the politics out of this". Five minutes later, he and Costas are talking politics.

In NBCs coverage the Olympic flag didn't go around the track. They broke away for a commercial about every 7 minutes. It seemed as though Costas and Lauer wanted the audience to boo certain countries during the Parade of Nations. Instead of talking about the athletes from the different countries, Matt Lauer would talk about his experiences in that country. Who fucking cares!? This isn't "Where in the World is Matt Lauer"!

The only time the coverage was good was when Costas and Lauer kept their mouths shut.

I think I'll take back what I said yesterday. The footage NBC showed for everything up to the parade of nations was better than what CBC showed. Though the NBC commentators did make some ridiculously ignorant and arrogant comments, at least they told you what was going on.....with CBC, I had no idea. Our commentators didn't seem to know what was going on at all, and the long and painful commercials really disrupted the flow and transition between segments. You had no idea what was going on.

NBC's coverage of the protocol segment (everything after the parade of nations) was terrible....cutting out on the flag's circle around the stadium (they didn't even mention who was marching the flag in) and completely cutting out the official oath's. NBC also showed only half of the fireworks segment after the cauldron was lit.

I wonder if NBC's coverage for Vancouver 2010 will be any better. For a change, the ceremonies will be broadcasted live primetime in America. 6 pm to 9 pm Pacific Time for the opening and 5:30 pm to 8 pm for the closing.

I only caught the last half of the OC last night but once again I was not impressed with Bob Costas and as far as the coverage....meh, not bad not awesome either.

My biggest complaint so far that I am so mad about is when they break to commercial and show the clips of Beijing and China with the Olympic fanfare playing. In the past this has been something that NBC has done really well and that I absolutely love. In the past we've seen beautiful clips of places in Italy, Greece, Utah, Australia, etc. Now....when they show the clip you can't see anything because they pretty much have a gold box with a huge sponsor logo taking up almost half the screen! What's the point of showing a clip of the forbidden city or the Great wall when you can't even see all of it? I think in Torino they showed a small little logo in the bottom corner but it was barely noticeable. I've also noticed they don't do it during each break like they have done in the past, now its every few breaks.

NBC really has bowed down to the corporate sponsors on this one.....I imagine we won't see any clips of British Columbia in 2010 with the way they are going at this rate.

BTW, great to be back everyone! :)

Being aired live in primetime in the same North American timezone, I would think that NBC's ratings for the 2010 opening will be high, similar to what they saw with Beijing's opening, but not quite as high as Salt Lake's ratings.

August 9, 2008, 12:12 pm

NBC Gets Record Rating for Tape-Delayed Opening Ceremony

By Richard Sandomir

The tape-delayed opening ceremony of the Beijing Games attracted an average of 34.2 million viewers Friday night, nine million more than the figure for the Athens Olympics on the comparable night in 2004.

At 34.2 million, it is the most on record for an Olympics televised in the United States from a foreign country. Before Athens, the average viewership for the 2000 Sydney Games was 27.3 million, for Barcelona in 1992 it was 21.6 million, and for Seoul in 1988 it was 22.7 million.

The Beijing figure fell 5.6 million viewers short of the 39.8 million who watched the live broadcast of the 1996 opening ceremony from Atlanta. And NBC’s opening-night viewership nosed out the 33.8 million who watched the 1994 Lillihammer Winter Games on CBS.

More recently, the opening ceremony of the 2002 Winter Games from Salt Lake City, which was carried live, averaged 45.6 million viewers.

Although Nielsen Media does not post Olympic ratings data earlier than 1972, NBC said that the 18.6 national rating from Beijing was the highest-rated Summer Games opening ceremony since CBS generated an 18.1 at the Rome Olympics in 1960, which were hosted by Jim McKay.

NBC’s performance Friday offered tangible evidence that it had not been hurt by those who watched live, unauthorized online streaming feeds of the opening ceremony on Web sites like the ARD German TV network’s.

NBC’s Web site, NBCOlympics.com, generated 70 million page views on Friday, nearly 10 times the traffic on the comparable day in Athens four years ago, and 4.2 million unique users, an increase of about six times.

CANADIAN RATINGS FOR TORINO OPENING CEREMONY: In Toronto, William Houston reports the CBC drew a total audience of 974,000 viewers for live coverage of the Opening Ceremony and 1.876 million for the primetime replay. That is down from 2.925 million for live primetime coverage in ’02. The CBC drew an average audience of 1.7 million viewers during Saturday afternoon coverage, but that figure dropped to 1.42 million in primetime. The net had 1.8 million viewers in the same time period in ’02 when programming was live (Toronto GLOBE & MAIL, 2/13).

I would think CBC's ratings for Beijing were quite high as well.....and I'm sure CTV's coverage of 2010 will be at record levels for this nation, but would never beat the record 25 million Canadians who watched the Salt Lake ice hockey final between Canada and the U.S. That's right in 2002, five in six Canadians were watching the same hockey game on tv.

I'm in love with NBC's coverage, especially online.

The lack of commentation makes you feel like you're there. It's great.

Hasn't NBC only shown 4 medal events live so far? Not that I care since I watch everything online, but I thought MSNBC/USA would be showing more live events.

Being aired live in primetime in the same North American timezone, I would think that NBC's ratings for the 2010 opening will be high, similar to what they saw with Beijing's opening, but not quite as high as Salt Lake's ratings.

I'm not sure it'll be that high, just because of how high profile Beijing was. I would say around Torino levels?

I'm not sure it'll be that high, just because of how high profile Beijing was. I would say around Torino levels?

I think it'll be a little higher just because of the live aspect. Obviously there won't be the same kind of hype surrounding those Olympics that we had for these, but that it's at least in North America and the promise of lots of live primetime coverage should help matters.

Hasn't NBC only shown 4 medal events live so far? Not that I care since I watch everything online, but I thought MSNBC/USA would be showing more live events.

I'm pretty sure swimming has been the only medal events they have aired live so far. The cable channels will start to air live medal events, once more medals are up for grabs.

I'm pretty sure it'll be much higher than Torino's ratings, those were a huge disappointment for NBC. Being in the same North American timezone with live events broadcasted helps quite a bit.

Been away for the weekend becuase of my massive work committments. Now I have an off-day for the first time in 13 days, which was why I didn't get too comprehensive as I would've liked.

Another Opening Ceremony. Another botched coverage from NBC.

In some ways, it was worse than what they did to Athens. I shouldn't be too surprised with that. I had the chance to see the late night encore presentation after my work Friday night. Yes, it did say that it was previously recorded, so you know NBC would omit bits out of it. I had to find out on these boards what coverage was missing like the puppets. What made things worse for me was I noticed several significant nations omitted from the Parade of Nations or gave them short shrift than they did in the past. Yeah, I expected NBC to eliminate some of the Olympic protocol, which was bad enough; I coluldn't get a chance to ID the women who carried the Olympic flag when they entered with it.

Nations that I recall getting omitted (or shortchanged than when they appeared in the past) from NBC's broadcast: Argentina, Montenegro (a new nation), Sweden, South Africa, Switzerland, New Zealand, Swaziland, Estonia, Costa Rica, Phillipines, Singapore, Portugal, Vietnam, Ireland, Netherlands Antilles, Panama, BOTH Koreas (they marched separately this time), Syria, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Vanuatu, Kiribati, Chile, Colombia, Botswana, Mozambique, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Sierra Leone, Burundi, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Venezuela, Bangladesh, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Trinidad & Tobago, Grenada (may be some others that suffered this fate but that's all I can recall at this time)

This is very wrong as we all know, scandalous even in the case of a few nations, and it loses major points in that. And this was the worst that I've seen happen with NBC since Barcelona. Would it make make much more sense to pre-empt the interruptions and omissions by having like what Coca-Cola is doing with like NBC's Team USA Olympic basketball coverage by having it with limited or no commercial interruptions? I don't know if the OC is actually on-demand with everything intact with footage not seen on the original broadcast fusing it like a world feed (it should) with a more complete Parade of Nations since I don't have any Microsoft Vista capabilities with the shared computers I use. Here's hoping it happened that way, becuase if it is not, we will all be incredibly disappointed, if not angered, with the network on that account. We know that a 2-DVD set of the Opening Ceremony is coming very soon, ready to be sold on eBay with both Chinese and English language capabilities.

The Games have begun but there's still some new info I finally got with some thanks to Wikipedia:

Finally some Pakistan Olympic TV updates: Geo Super Sport is airing the Olympics with lots of field hockey coverage since Pakistan is in that and not India for the first time in 80 years, and that network is the first all-24 hours sports channel for Pakistan.

I found out the other day that in Finland, YLE's TV1 and Urheilukanava are also participating in the Olympic broadcast too. With HD simulcasting through YLE Peking HD and Saunalahti. Urheilukanava, the Finnish sports channel, already aired some Olympic soccer games.

Israel has of course Channel 1 and Sport 5. But that's not all from them: this includes Sport 5+, Sport 5+ Gold, Sport 5+ Live, and webcasting over at www.sport5.co.il with Orange, Pelephone, and Cellcom all engaged to the cell phone Olympic coverage. I checked out the websites for them, particularly Sport 5, but I surely had trouble with the reading. Channel 1 for the first time will another channel sharing the coverage and will broadcast them on weekends. Sport 5 HD deals with the high-definition.

LTV1 will only get involved with the Beijing Olympics through airing the ceremonies for Latvia.

UBS will air the 2008 Beijing Olympics in Mongolia with UBS doing the OC and UBS 2 dealing with the actual competition.

We may not have the TV schedules from Russia, but we do know this: VGTRK (aka Channel 2) is broadcasting the Olympics through its two channels Russia (which I presume will focus on the Russian Olmypians judging from the name) and Channel 2 Sport. NTV Plus and its multiple channels are involved and in HD. Yes, Channel One does get into this telecast.

This is similar with Japan, but we do know of NHK Hi-Vision making the Olympicasting having NHK G and BS-Hi doing the hi-def honors.

TV Azteca also does diving, shown on Canal 13. It also does a late night show called Luna Peking. I'll get a link to that tomorrow. Both TV Azteca and Televisa are doing high-definition through TV Azteca 25HD and Televisa HD, respectively.

Venevision, TVes, and Meridiano all should have their Olympic TV plans and programming up.

Dubai Sports Channel teams up with Abu Dhabi Sports Channel providing coverage for the Olympics. I can't really tell exactly what they're showing, unless there's an English translation for its programming.

NBC's promoting something like 56 million viewers for Saturday's primetime coverage and 81 million for Sunday's.

Hi all, I have been in Jakarta for 2 weeks, so I can't check this forum, news update for Indonesia TV broadcaster, Aora TV, the newest cable TV in Indonesia have 4 channels to btroadcast the beijing 2008, beside TVRI whose always broadcast from 09.00-12.00 then 15.00-19.00 :)

NBC's primetime coverage (8pm ET-11pmET) averaged 25.06 million on Saturday. On Sunday, it averaged 32.63 million. NBC also said that through the NBC Universal channels that 114 million had tuned in for five minutes (Atlanta had the most before with 110 million).

Plus, networks usually say people who have tuned in through out the show's run, not the average of the program. For instance, America's Got Talents, is being advertised as seen by "over 70 million", but it only averages about 14 million each week.

Hi all, I have been in Jakarta for 2 weeks, so I can't check this forum, news update for Indonesia TV broadcaster, Aora TV, the newest cable TV in Indonesia have 4 channels to btroadcast the beijing 2008, beside TVRI whose always broadcast from 09.00-12.00 then 15.00-19.00 :)

That's great to hear that you Indonesians, if at least in Jakarta, are enjoying more comprehensive TV coverage after all through Aora TV's Arena channels! :) I just checked the website for them, but I was unable to download the TV schedule from the Arena channels.

Turns out that it isn't just TV Romania airing the Olympics. Telesport Romania is doing that too with the likes of volleyball getting love.

Did CCTV televise the Pre-Opening Ceremony at the Bird's Nest, if there was such like there was in Athens when ET1 did it?

From Qatar, yes Al-Jazeera Sport is airing the Olympics, it can be confirmed, it will doen through three of its sports channels: Al-Jazeera Sport, Al-Jazeera Sport 2, and Al-Jazeera Sport +3 with Al-Jazeera Sport HD doing the HD honors. If you can read Arabic, feel free to have a look at it.

It seems as though with VTV, all of the Olympic sports are at VTV 3, the sports channel, under two three to four hour blocks with a daily late night review show. VTV 2 broadcasted live the Opening Ceremony at 19:00.

I tried looking some additional details from the Caribbean Media Corporation about their Olympic broadcasting plans, but there was nothing except clicking onto this little display still mentioning it as an upcoming project without an update.

As you would expect from Pakistan's Geo Sport, it will air field hockey but also daily doses of soccer, equestrian, volleyball, basketball, swimming, gymnastics, track and field, and tennis. More from Geo Super TV.

Turns out that Mongolia has other broadcasters like Brazil and Taiwan (more on that nation tomorrow) in sending multiple networks to Beijing. Wikipedia mentions MNB, Channel 25, TV5, TV9, and NTV all taking part in it too.

Additional info about Russia's Olympic plans: Olympic news info is on Vesti.

Television Suisse Romande, the French Swiss channels, already have their Olympic site up for several days now . Interestingly, HD Suisse has simulcasted language coverage in German, French, Italian, and an International one (presumably English). I'll get to that tomorrow.

i have a question i need some one to answer RE: NBC's coverage.

I live in PST, and at night all the coverage (well, not all) say LIVE in the top corner of the screen. But is it only really live for EST and delayed three hours for my time zone or what?

i have a question i need some one to answer RE: NBC's coverage.

I live in PST, and at night all the coverage (well, not all) say LIVE in the top corner of the screen. But is it only really live for EST and delayed three hours for my time zone or what?

That's correct, everything you're seeing on the West Coast is in fact delayed, despite the Live bug that NBC has kept on screen throughout most of events (which is why they throw in ET or CT to that every once in a while0. Yes, NBC is cheating a bit by leaving up the word Live all the time.

TVNZ coverage of the mens 200m butterfly final where he finished 4th blacked out moments before the race. Very annoying and tvnz stated it was a technical fault in the Auckland studio!

I thought TVNZ had done a good job up until now!

That's great to hear that you Indonesians, if at least in Jakarta, are enjoying more comprehensive TV coverage after all through Aora TV's Arena channels! :) I just checked the website for them, but I was unable to download the TV schedule from the Arena channels.

durban, AORA TV is not only available in Jakarta, they area coverage is already wide, based on their website they already cover 8 cities, they are airing Beijing 2008 from 4 channels, in 1bout 1200 hours, for this time, AORA's price is too high for us, you must pay 300000 rupiahs just to get 10 channels ?? :(, if you compared to another cable TV provider, you can get a lower price with more channel :)

who is next to take over NBC's coverage? I know NBC covered the olympics (since '88 summer olympics) I know ABC covered the games for a long time (last being '88 winter olympics) i say ABC will get back the games

Sign in to follow this