Some More Olympic Tv Updates

The first medal event to end will most likely be the women's 10m Air Rifle final, which is scheduled to end 10:50 am Beijing time, which corresponds to 10:50 pm ET, as ddrapayo rightly said.

I thought that I when it is scheduled to begin?

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possible they could have some sort of live report after the Opening Ceremony is over (which is on tape anyway, of course) before NBC goes off the air at Midnight. The only problem that creates then is that it's a pretty short turnaround for Costas and the rest of the Primetime crew after having just covered the OC. Granted it's going to be a relatively odd transition anyway from covering a nightime event to being on air at 8am for 2 weeks, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Gymnastics & swimming are indoors. Not sure what they are going to do about the Beach Volleyball & BMX though, unless is BMX indoors?

Also Women's 10m Air Rifle Final does start at 10:30. It is set to end at 11:20 and weight lifting Women’s 48 KG Group A is set to end at 11:40.

I have a question though. In Athens, wasn't the NBC late night session mainly only used for medal ceremonies?

Gymnastics & swimming are indoors. Not sure what they are going to do about the Beach Volleyball & BMX though, unless is BMX indoors?

Also Women's 10m Air Rifle Final does start at 10:30. It is set to end at 11:20 and weight lifting Women’s 48 KG Group A is set to end at 11:40.

I have a question though. In Athens, wasn't the NBC late night session mainly only used for medal ceremonies?

I meant more in terms of the crew having to go from working until Midnight 1 night and then having to turn around and potentially be ready early the next morning to cover events and/or late breaking news. The day/night factor I don't think is a big issue, especially when it's known that a lot of coverage will be live. After all, if you're presenting an event on the other side of the world, it should be daytime there when it's night here and vice versa. So unlike most past NBC Olympics where they've used some sort of fake background scenics that progressively got darker to make it seem like that's what it actually was outside.. this time they can show live shots from outside and it'll be the daytime, similar to Bryant Gumbel's post in Seoul.

And as for late night.. they showed some coverage there, especially during the 2nd week where they showed finals of a lot of the less important track & field events. They'll show medal ceremonies, but I think this time around it'll be more about live coverage and showing the sights and sounds from around Beijing.

I meant more in terms of the crew having to go from working until Midnight 1 night and then having to turn around and potentially be ready early the next morning to cover events and/or late breaking news. The day/night factor I don't think is a big issue, especially when it's known that a lot of coverage will be live. After all, if you're presenting an event on the other side of the world, it should be daytime there when it's night here and vice versa. So unlike most past NBC Olympics where they've used some sort of fake background scenics that progressively got darker to make it seem like that's what it actually was outside.. this time they can show live shots from outside and it'll be the daytime, similar to Bryant Gumbel's post in Seoul.

And as for late night.. they showed some coverage there, especially during the 2nd week where they showed finals of a lot of the less important track & field events. They'll show medal ceremonies, but I think this time around it'll be more about live coverage and showing the sights and sounds from around Beijing.

So how soon after the events do you think they will show the medal ceremonies.

Watch Olympic Games on YouTube - For Viewers in India, Korea, Middle East..

While NBC has exclusive rights to broadcast Olympic Games live on the Internet, Google’s YouTube will now stream Olympic videos in countries where the rights haven’t been sold.

These include places like South Korea, India, Iraq, Nigeria, etc where sports fans will get to enjoy three hours of daily highlights on YouTube from the Beijing Olympics without having to turn on their television sets.

There’s a new channel on YouTube dedicated to Olympic videos. Unlike NBC, YouTube will only stream video recordings and highlights made available through the International Olympic Committee. CNN, Bloomberg and WSJ has more on the Google - Olympic deal.

Also, the Olympic videos on YouTube will not be available to Internet users in countries (including US) where the rights have already been sold to other broadcast networks though there are workarounds.

http://www.labnol.org/internet/watch-olymp...e-youtube/4120/

oh such a shame that a massive country like India won't broadcast the Games on TV , the IOC sure is not happy with this . Also I'm surprised that South Korea that always is well represented on the Olympics and hosted in 88 also has the same problem .

Watch Olympic Games on YouTube - For Viewers in India, Korea, Middle East..

While NBC has exclusive rights to broadcast Olympic Games live on the Internet, Google’s YouTube will now stream Olympic videos in countries where the rights haven’t been sold.

These include places like South Korea, India, Iraq, Nigeria, etc where sports fans will get to enjoy three hours of daily highlights on YouTube from the Beijing Olympics without having to turn on their television sets.

There’s a new channel on YouTube dedicated to Olympic videos. Unlike NBC, YouTube will only stream video recordings and highlights made available through the International Olympic Committee. CNN, Bloomberg and WSJ has more on the Google - Olympic deal.

Also, the Olympic videos on YouTube will not be available to Internet users in countries (including US) where the rights have already been sold to other broadcast networks though there are workarounds.

http://www.labnol.org/internet/watch-olymp...e-youtube/4120/

oh such a shame that a massive country like India won't broadcast the Games on TV , the IOC sure is not happy with this . Also I'm surprised that South Korea that always is well represented on the Olympics and hosted in 88 also has the same problem .

SBS the channel that leaked all the info about the opening ceremony is the broadcaster in South Korea. I read another article on this & it sounded that it was only the countries that didn't have any online broadcaster.

Bob Costas, along with the Today Show's Matt Laurer, will host NBC's broadcast of the Opening Ceremony on Friday night. Laurer mentioned this morning that NBC's China affairs analyst will also be present.

And NBC has begun running promos for the Opening Ceremony. I noticed they're using clips of the Asian 'float' from "The Arrivals" segment of Sydney's OC.

Since KL hosted the 1998 Commonwealth Games, ASTRO has provided us with impressive multisports coverage over their interactive channels. We had the best coverage for the 2000 Olympics, 2002 CGs and Asian Games, 2004 Olympics, 2006 CGs and Asian Games, and this year's Olympics.

Here's the cool STADIUM ASTRO's Beijing 2008 promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0h3b2rHaHA

Most Malaysians are bilingual... many are trilingual with 2 of the languages being Malay and English.. the other would be either Mandarin or Tamil/Hindi.. English is a compulsory subject in schools from kindergarten onwards. In Malaysian schools, Science and Math are taught in English.

STADIUM ASTRO has this "Super Sapiens" concept for their promotions.. they have similar ones for the Euro 2008 coverage and their regular shows as well.. the promo was 100% done by Malaysians in Malaysia.

Edited by theone

On the online front, NBCOlympics.com will be live streaming gymnastics practice starting tonight:

"NBCOlympics.com will stream the U.S. men's session LIVE here tonight (midnight ET) and the U.S. women LIVE on Thursday (1:30a ET). The coverage will be archived for viewing on-demand."

And, they also have a link from their front page indicating that all six Women's Soccer preliminaries will be streamed starting at 5:00am Eastern Time tomorrow!

More Olympic TV goodies coming right now! :)

Been meaning to do this for a few days but I got busy and time constraints. Anyway, TVP Pekin's website is now in business for several days. In addition to TVP1, TVP2, TVP Sport, and TVP HD, there will be five live Olympic videostreams including one solely devoted to tennis and badminton. The streams are Kozykowicka, Kolarstwo, Pitka Nozna, Sporty Walki, and Badminton/Tenis. TVP Sport starts it all with women's world champs Germany having a revenge match with Brazil live at 11 Poland time, then USA versus Norway 13:45, and Japan-New Zealand and China-Sweden. At the same time the Germany-Brazil starts, Kozykowicka starts the Internet streaming with Canada-Argentina and then USA-Norway. The next day, the the outlets will do likewise for men's soccer. TVP1 won't start their portion of the Olympic coverage until the Opening Ceremony which according to the scheduling, won't air until the PRECISE start of the show (13:38 Polish time) but TVP Sport will simulcast it, but it will start 38 minutes earlier with a couple of men's soccer games before hand. TVP2 actually will have a brief daily show at 23:35 well after the Ceremony. Then everything gets jumping live at approximately 2:50 in all channels and Internet streams early Saturday morning. If only there was a more printable way to view the schedule...

TVP's Beijing 2008 Website

TVP's Pekin 2008 TV/Internet Tranmission Programming

Austria update: it will just be ORF1 that will 250 hours of the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I'm rather disappointed that ORF Sport Plus will not get involved since there's plenty of airtime that channel will give to it. Still it's an increase from Athens. Anyway actually, there is a digital interactive Olympia program that I mentioned pages ago, where you choose your Olympic coverage through four Olympia feeds. We need to see the scheduling.

ORF1--The Austrian Olympic Sports Channel With 250 Hours and HD Quality

(just try not get distracted with the nude British Olympians doing that for Coca-Cola UK) :P

I certainly can't read this, but I'll present this to you anyway. The following is from Georgian Public Broadcasting, and it still hasn't finished up the English language version. A more detailed press release of its Olympic TV coverage can be found in this document.

Benelux time--NOS' Olympic website had a makeover last week, and it looks great. I just took a look at the scheduling and noticed there's going to be around 12 Internet live channels to watch sports that Nederland 1 won't cover on television for the Dutch. Belgium's Flemish Olympic programming--forget what I mentioned about the small Olympic TV programming for those two weeks--but instead focus on this EEN Olympic TV programming guide, which is far more complete that will be a part of the Sporza department. On the French side, La Deux and La Trois will get involved with RTBF Sat and HD. More details that I was bringing up since Saturday will be brought by me tomorrow.

Slovakia's STV Trojka's arrival coincides with the official start of the Beijing Olympics as I said sometime ago on these boards. STV 3, the new all-sports channel, will broadcast almost all of the Slovakian Olympic TV coverage beginning with the transmission on 14:00 Bratislava time, and I'm sure there will be live streamings; its Olympic coverage starts with men's soccer. More stuff can be found here. STV2, Dvojka, actually telecast the Opening Ceremony and a Beijing Studio show several hours after the Opening Ceremonies. After that, for the channel it will be nothing but Olympic studio news and daily highlights shows. CT2 and CT4 SPORT have their own Olympic website now. Plus, Ceska Televize will offer 10 live Internet streams of 24 hours of Olympic coverage 24 hours a day. I'll get more into it later.

DR1's and DR2's OL2008 TV Schedule More of my thoughts on Denmark later.

Romania'sTVR now has its Beijing Olympic website with programming shared with TVR1 (having the bulk of the TV coverage), TVR2, and TVR HD.

On the online front, NBCOlympics.com will be live streaming gymnastics practice starting tonight:

"NBCOlympics.com will stream the U.S. men's session LIVE here tonight (midnight ET) and the U.S. women LIVE on Thursday (1:30a ET). The coverage will be archived for viewing on-demand."

And, they also have a link from their front page indicating that all six Women's Soccer preliminaries will be streamed starting at 5:00am Eastern Time tomorrow!

Thanks for the heads up, I'm taking a quick look at it right now!

Malaysia's ASTRO is currently showing the REPEATS of all 6 football matches it showed live earlier starting with the first 3 matches on channels 819, 820 and 821. I think they're gonna keep on repeating these 6 matches till tomorrow.

More Olympic TV news are on its way right now as we're getting a flurry of stuff leading up to the official start on Friday...

By now, we likely have seen the first look of the BOB logo promo thanks to having women's soccer being the first event in the Olympics to kick off...

Hans Gronqvist, YLE FST5's sports director, announced that FST5 will air the Beijing Olympics for up to 450 hours on TV and on the web, which is not bad for the first time that the Swedish minority makes its Olympic TV debut in Finland. Or is that 450 combined with YLE's TV2, not counting the live Olympic webstreams, which will be at least four?

Belarus TV First and LAD updated their Olympic broadcasting details with some new photos of the press release of their Olympic TV plans, which now includes a link to Olympic TV schedule and a First TV sports report on Belarus' Olympic history from the legendary gymnast Vitaly Scherbo competing for the Unified Team in Barcelona to Athens 100m champ Yulia Nesterenko with a bit of prognostication of how will Belarus will perform in Beijing. An additional video of the Belarussian Olympians arriving at the village is also on that former page. Best about it is the scheduling is in English.

As a little reminder, ORF1 will have its Olympic broadcasts, including the ORF Olympia Channels 1-4, all simulcasted on ORF1 HD.

Been meaning to have the ARD/ZDF Olympic programming guide mentioned on board for this. But now I finally got it in. One reason I delayed in doing this is because of the fact that I was looking exactly for the one including the four digital channels from both ZDF and ARD (ZDFinfokanal, ZDFdocukanal, EinsPlus, and EinsFestival--all as Peking 1-4). Last time in Athens, all six channels totalled together in the 1200 hours plateau, but not this time. It will above 900 hours. Part of this is because none of the channels are interested in having replays of events that actually made a sizeable percent of the coverage. One ploblem of ZDF that I have is the manner how that channel's Olympic coverage on their days of the Olympics clusters in the programming guides all under one timeslot instead of the exact time those events start like Das Erste does. This may be a problem when the German men's basketball, flagbearer Dirk Nowitzki and Co., get ready to play their games and the interest in them is sky high. I'll actually get that tomorrow.

EinsPlus: Equestrian, Volleyball, Artistic Gymnastics, Triathlon, Sailing

EinsFestival: Basketball, Cycling, Beach Volleyball, Field Hockey, Ringen

ZDFdocukanal: Women's Soccer, Badminton, Women's Handball, Diving

ZDFdocukanal: Men's Handball, Rowing, Soccer, Table Tennis, Fencing, Judo

And I think there will be, if I read it on Digitalfernsehen.de's forums right, 3 live streams online will be present (daily program + ZDFinfokanal and EinsFestival footage)

Supersport South Africa's Olympic TV schedule is now has been found. I just needed to make a more specific selection in chossing it. Convincing DSTV to add two addition channels solely for the Olympics was no mean feat for Supersport. And we now got those two channels to boost the coverage: Supersport Xtra2 and Supersport Maximo 2. So now we have eight Supersport channels doing this: SS5, SS6, SS7, SS10 (simulcasting what SS7 does), Supersport Maximo, Supersport Xtra, Supersport Maximo 2, and Supersport Xtra 2. Part of the reason it was done was the attempt to accomodate all of the socer games in the Olympics, both men's and women's. Everything in the Olympics unfortunately will not get aired from Beijing on Supersport like the women's preliminary basketball game between Australia and Belarus, given how massive you would think the coverage would be. Nor are some sports in it as much like shooting. Why wasn't Supersport Maximo mentioned more in the press releases? There will be seemingly more simulcastings with the Maximo channels and the regular Supersport channels. Did the Supersport people considered an Afrikaans language channel? With Maximo, it will naturally focus on the athletes from the Portuguese (and Spanish) diaspora. Swimming, soccer, and track will be the mainstays on the Maximos. Who will make up the team? Is it those announcers imported from Brazil, Angola, and Portuguese?

CBC Sports.ca will have nine live streams of Olympic coverage that will add up to 1500+ hours. Will there be an option for French audio for them? I worry that the TSN coverage will not be as complete with the way how the time slots are, and it may not agree with some sports, unless the network decides not to air them in their entirties and package some sports into storylines. CBC Sports now posts its Olympic TV/Bell Canada CBC Sports live streaming schedule. I'm still awaiting what the scheduling will be for SRC and RDS. Not bad at all for the CBC in terms of Internet coverage, but its comparable to what a lot of other nations are doing. CBC's Beijing opening should be really nice.

Keeping up with the streaming, all you Brits on these boards like Rob, Scotsguy, Arwebb, do any of you have the BBC live streaming that goes up to nine interactive channels with some really interesting Olympic programming like The Ring Within The Rings, Moscow Olympics of 1980: Cold War, Olympic Memories, Bann To Beijing, and Olympics 2008. Maybe we ought to include them in our Olympic recording as special features! :) Problem is, it's very hard for me to print the entire BBC Olympic schedule unless there's a PDF document out there.

Yes, there will Indian Olympic coverage. DD1, the National Channel, and DD Sports will exclusively air the Games starting with live discussion and anchoring from 5:30 India time that preceeds the Opening Ceremony that will be shown live. DD Sports will air all of India's Olympians participating in their sports with customized commentary. It also broadcast them round the clock both live and tape delayed. DD1 will have India at the Beijing Games.

DD 1/DD Sports India Olympic TV Schedule I'm not having success looking for Pakistan and Bangledesh's Olympic TV plans.

We got another Channel 7 covering the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. This one's from Argentina--Canal 7. I still don't know how many hours, but I know it won't be what TyC Sports and TyC Sports Max will air (more on them later). Canal 7 will still be decent in its coverage, and the Olympic TV schedule is there to prove it, starting with the women's soccer today between the Argentine women and Canada. Tyc Sports right now is airing an hourly daily show called Beijing co-hosted by Gonzalo Bonadero and Milagros Lay Gonzalez. TyC actually did air the Argentina-Canada soccer match. I think together TyC Sports and Canal 7 will air more than 666 hours that they did in Athens, more 750 this time around.

At last, go ahead and click on what La Deux has in store for the Beijing Olympics for French Belgians. The web addresses for what I saw were way too long, so I'll let you look at them at Sport through La Deux's website. What's Luxembourg going to air and from whom?

In addition to the 12 live daily hours of Olympics coverage on TSR 2, the French Swiss network channel will also have 2000 hours of video in store to go with their Olympic TV plans. Still nothing out for the Italian Swiss channels RTSI.

Cyprus' two public channels will air the Olympics, but I'm still unsure who will do the Opening Ceremony since I can't read the Greek alphabet. NET will air the Opening Ceremony live and repeated later on Friday. Both NET and ET3 are airing the women's preliminary soccer games today. ET1 won't yet take part in the broadcasting until at least Saturday.

More Olympic coverage in Malaysia for subscribers of Digi Mobile TV.

KUALA LUMPUR: Fresh from sealing a deal in the Middle East, Qtelmedia Group Ltd is all geared up to provide unlimited live coverage of the Beijing Olympics for DiGi mobile TV subscribers.

Qtelmedia is a content provider that has signed an agreement with DiGi to provide live footage of the Olympics on mobile handsets.

DiGi subscribers need pay just RM6 to get that value-added service from now till the end of the month.

Chief executive officer Sinead O’Sullivan claims that the uniqueness of Qtelmedia’s content offering is that it can reach over 800 handset types.

More news: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?fil...mp;sec=Olympics

Did anyone catch CBC's live coverage? It was really annoying that some of the segments weren't shown because of commercial breaks. Will the encore presentation show the performances in their entirety?

I did online, but I'm in the USA (since NBC won't be airing it until 7:30pm). I was a bit annoyed about the commercial breaks during the parade of nations, not showing the USA contingent finish up, not showing American Samoa, not showing Afghanistan, & that they kept talking to the Canadians, but if I was in Canada, I know that I would have liked that, so that was a just a complaint since I'm American.

NBC Olympics.com has also released more detailed schedules for the cable channels.

Also, the wrap up show will return to MSNBC from 5pm ET-7pm ET.

Where'd you see that? I've been trying to find info on the Olympic Update show (which according to the NBC media guide is going to happen), but haven't seen it in any program listings. And now when I do a google search for it, the only relevant thing I get is from this thread.. which I posted.