Some More Olympic Tv Updates

Yeah, I saw that too. I'm not sure what the deal is. And the local 30-minute special that precedes the primetime show was advertised as starting 7 PM. I'm not completely sure that they haven't changed their schedule in the past. Looking back at the Athens schedule, it says each weeknight broadcast was scheduled to start at 8 PM, but I could've sworn there were nights when they went on the air at 7:30. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Straight from the mouth of Bob Costas. Coverage of the Opening Ceremony will begin at 7:30 PM ET/PT. Would have been nice for NBC to update any of their websites with this info, but now it's very much official. Don't know what that will do to The Olympic Zone, although it looks like that now moves up to 7:00 PM.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the NBC Beijing set:

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/9538/ey...pshot215ml6.jpg

The smog perfectly matches the set!

I meant to watch the halftime show of the football game hoping they would show the studio. Thanks a lot for that. I really would have preferred for it to start at 8, since it would still be the whole 08.08.08 theme for the east coast.

I would have expected the studio to be closer to the national stadium since that is where the BBC studios is.

I meant to watch the halftime show of the football game hoping they would show the studio. Thanks a lot for that. I really would have preferred for it to start at 8, since it would still be the whole 08.08.08 theme for the east coast.

I would have expected the studio to be closer to the national stadium since that is where the BBC studios is.

Looks like I was right. They are just trying to get you to watch the Olympic Zone. NBC.com has updated it's listings.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv_and_online_l...ncrement=162266

I was watching the game too, and I saw a brief snippet of a commercial for the Olympic Zone show coming on in my area. I'm outside the New Orleans area, I was not at the time of the Torino Games, so I don't know if this is the first time that my NBC station is showing the Olympic Zone show, but it is going to be shown before Olympic coverage in my area.

Thanks Lamptern for your translation of CCTV's broadcast schedule. If you be so kind, could you please do likewise for ATV, TVB, and i-CABLE if possible? :)

As some of us have already know NBC's Today show team will make their way to Beijing and China starting next week to do their show. Lester Holt, who I like a lot, from the weekend portion was already at the beautiful Pagoda Tower in Beijing. NBC has already unleashed a torrent of promos relating to the Olympics in the past few weeks. I'll get to those and link them next week.

Sporza's coverage will be limited of sorts with soccer leading the way at the begining. But I haven't seen exactly where the coverage begins and ends. I'll check on that next week. For the French version at RTBF, La Deux will air swimming, tennis, soccer, track and field, gymnastics, and field hockey. Its broadcast, like VRT's Sporza, will start with Belgium's "Little Devils" taking on Brazil on August 7. It's also reairing the Venues doc on RTBF Sat and La Trois.

I'll get to more of my thoughts and more stuff as we get to the homestretch to the Opening ceremonies with a lot of goodies I'll bring then! :) Hopefully more things will emerge.

I checked the schedule page on ATV and found too much pain to translate. The content are not editable and in weird format. It is not likely to be finished in time. I have to give up. Sorry about that. :P

Now NBCOlympics.com has update it's schedule again. Now Olympic Zone starts at 7/6c & Opening Ceremony at 7:30/6:30c. Whenever a breakdown of the ratings comes in, 7:30/6:30c I think will be significantly lower then the other half hours.

My NBC station is still using all the wrong times. I saw an ad for The Olympic Zone that wasn't the national version, but was done my local affilliate. It still says it starts at 7:30 (ET) just before the opening ceremony. Then I just saw a promo for the website & it said "the opening ceremony at 8.8.08 at 8pm on channel 8" (I don't think my station is going to be too happy about losing all the 8s now.)

My NBC station is still using all the wrong times. I saw an ad for The Olympic Zone that wasn't the national version, but was done my local affilliate. It still says it starts at 7:30 (ET) just before the opening ceremony. Then I just saw a promo for the website & it said "the opening ceremony at 8.8.08 at 8pm on channel 8" (I don't think my station is going to be too happy about losing all the 8s now.)

The 8:08 thing is a 'Chinese thing.' That's just happening live. Everywhere else where it will be broadcast tape-delayed -- what do you think they are going to have the first 8 minutes of nothing? Of course not. That's wasted advertising time.

Even though it starts at 8:08 LIVE Beijing time, they will remove that 'dead air' of 8 minutes and braodcast the show at whatever time they say they will...6:00 pm or 6:30 or 7:30, etc.

If you want that thrill of 8 minutes w/ nothing happening, maybe you can sit in front of your TV for 8 minutes w/ the thing turned off -- so you can get psyched for the show.

The 8:08 thing is a 'Chinese thing.' That's just happening live. Everywhere else where it will be broadcast tape-delayed -- what do you think they are going to have the first 8 minutes of nothing? Of course not. That's wasted advertising time.

Even though it starts at 8:08 LIVE Beijing time, they will remove that 'dead air' of 8 minutes and braodcast the show at whatever time they say they will...6:00 pm or 6:30 or 7:30, etc.

If you want that thrill of 8 minutes w/ nothing happening, maybe you can sit in front of your TV for 8 minutes w/ the thing turned off -- so you can get psyched for the show.

Actually yes lol. A lot of times, even though it says opening ceremony, NBC doesn't usually begin with the opening ceremony. They usually air some Americans practicing. For instance in 2006, it started with Bob Costas in the studios & he showed some videos of time trials of I believe alpine skiing. Then they went to the ceremony.

In Malaysia, ASTRO is providing non-stop LIVE coverage over 11 interactive channels. It has started showing Olympic documentaries since last week over 10 channels. Women's soccer is supposed to start this Wednesday.

RTM is providing extensive coverage maybe over 1 or 2 channels once the game officially opens.

Thanks The One--and welcome back! :) Told you I got some major Olympic TV developments to share with you nowas we get closer to our little Christmas Day! This will be the first batch today.

In keeping with the Malaysian subject going, ASTRO is airing the Chinese Olympic documentary Chinese Athletes: Super Hero, one of the 10 docs he was talking about on Jiayu. In this one, Chinese Olympic gold medalists discuss their euphoria and nadirs in competeing en route to gold, their daily lives, and the stories behind the story. My Olympic Heros, another doc, airs on ASTRO Mai Lai Toh. Looks as though ASTRO will do the complete coverage, ceremonies and all, when compared to the national RTM channels. I just viewed the TV schedules from RTM, and only RTM2, the more English language channel of the two, is doing something with the Olympics. But what they'll offer is twice-daily two hour program called Olympic Reports and a half an hour show called Golden Moments.

More news on France TV's Olympic plans: France 2-4 will present 15 live streams of the Olympics on France TV's website to supplement the channels' coverage.

Over in Hungary, I mentioned of course that MTV will do the Olympics. M2 will offer the more representative coverage of the two channels' 400 hours, and it will be on HD FTA and on the Hungarian service Hotbird.

Finally, Austria's ORF has made their special Olympic website. No specific Olympic TV schedule on the website yet but will be: ORF Peking Spiele 2008

SuoerSport South Africa now has its new Olympic website up for a few days now.. Thing is though, we actually don't have the full SuperSport Olympic TV schedule, which can be used for the rest of sub-Saharan Africa as of yet. Is the SuperSport people still discussing with DSTV about adding those two channels specifically for the Olympics? It's getting very close to the (unofficial) start of ther Games with the preliminary soccer games. I saw from the TV schedules of the SuperSport channels that SuperSport Maximo and CSN is on board. You can check out the TV schedule that will include SABC2, but that TV scheduling only focuses on the South African Olympians in Beijing to SAers to follow and root for. And here's the still-incomplete SABC Sport daily Olympic TV schedule involving the Beijing-bound South Africans.

TV2 and TV2 Sputnik will broadcast the following events: Opening Ceremony, badminton, baseball, basketball, table tennis, road race cycling, soccer, gymnastics, judo, handball, field hockey, canoeing/kayaking, mountain bike racing, modern Pentathlon, swimming, water polo, volleyball, weightlifting, archery, and shooting. The rest of the Olympic events and the closing ceremony will air on DR. Compared to Athens, TV2 isn't going to be showing as much basketball as it did back then as I first noticed the schedule a couple of weekes ago. Is DR doing the preliminary basketball games?

Ipeurabana, is ESPN Brasil's coverage of the Olympics on their two channels running 24 hours a day? I'm wondering about the Olympic TV schedules from not just ESPN Brasil, but SporTV, TV Globo, Band TV, and Band Sports/ In the case of ESPN Brasil, I had difficulty actually getting the whole thing; I had to click on a specific sport and then the date in August for it. Brazil is unique in the sense that rival media entities are actually sharing the Olympic coverage in the sense they still bring their own team of reporters and technical crews to Beijing but will have coverage seemingly simulcasted but their own announcer calling the events. I'm still looking into the networks for the coverage.

Like Maryjane, where is the Russian TV Olympic coverage news? Likewise, what about Japan and South Korea? Like the TV schedules? I haven't found anything online dealing with Malta's, like TVM, as of yet. Still trying.

A follow-up on Latvia LTV7's Olympic coverage, when you pay a visit to the channel's website homepage, you'll see some of LTV7's personalites individually taking part in Olympic promos that deal with known aspects of Chinese culture like the triangular hats, swordsmanship, and banging on the pots. Also, the LTV7 Olympic schedule is now here (going up to August 10): LTV7 Olympic TV Schedule

Another follow-up out of the Baltics, this one dealing with the Lativians' southern neighbors in Lithuania, Lietuvos Televizija now has their special Beijing 2008 website operating. Lietuvos Televizija 1 and 2 are going to share the broadcast coverage, but like with LTV7 I'm still trying to find out how many hours in total the Olympics will be aired. If click on the dates of the Olympic TV programming, you'll find out what sports and how long their daily coverage Lietuvos Televizija 1 and 2 will show like basketball. LTV 1 starts with the Opening Ceremony live at 15.00 and then Pekino Studio.

And now Iceland's Olympic TV schedule from RUV that goes to August 17 with badminton, handball, basketball, judo, beach volleyball, swimming, equestrian, track and field, and gymnastics: RUV's Olympic TV Schedule

Montenegro's TVCG, Televizija Crne Gore, will start its Olympic TV coverage over at TVCG 2 with a one hour preview show at 21:00 and then a men's soccer game between The Netherlands and Nigeria live and then some Olympic news and updates, all on August 7. The next day, it will air the Opening Ceremony live. So apparently, TVCG 2 will air all of Montenegro's Olympic coverage.

ERT's special Olympic channels won't hit until August 7 when ERT Olympics 1 start with women's soccer at noon Greek time with Japan facing against Team USA and then after an hour break hosts China takes on New Zealand's All-Whites in men's soccer action. ERT Olympics 2-5 won't start airing until August 9.

That's all from me for now, I'll get even more goodies tomorrow.

I wonder if they'll cut from the OC tape to show the first medal ceremony around 10:50 PM Eastern Time. They usually show the first ceremony, but it doesn't usually conflict with the tape delayed Opening Ceremonies.

I thought the first medal event (cycling right?) didn't start until 2am ET of something.

TV2 and TV2 Sputnik will broadcast the following events: Opening Ceremony, badminton, baseball, basketball, table tennis, road race cycling, soccer, gymnastics, judo, handball, field hockey, canoeing/kayaking, mountain bike racing, modern Pentathlon, swimming, water polo, volleyball, weightlifting, archery, and shooting. The rest of the Olympic events and the closing ceremony will air on DR. Compared to Athens, TV2 isn't going to be showing as much basketball as it did back then as I first noticed the schedule a couple of weekes ago. Is DR doing the preliminary basketball games?

No, actually as I said in an earlier post, TV2 Sport has the exclusive rights to the basketball tournament. At that time, I thought they would also broadcast other sports, but that will not be the case. So there'll be no live basketball on other Danish channels than TV2 Sport even though they don't broadcast anything else Olympic.

You're right about the fact that TV2 will broadcast a lot of those sports and TV2 Sputnik (a webcast service) will add to that. But there's interesting news about the DR/Telenor co-operation I mentioned in my earlier post about the Danish TV situation. I thought that Telenor wouldn't use their rights in any way, but no: They are going to stream on three channels for free at http://www.cybercity.dk/produkter/privat/ol_webtv/. There's no detailed schedule out yet but I'm waiting in excitement to see what they have to offer.

Regarding TV2, it seems that TV2 Zulu also is going to have a bit of coverage from the men's football tournament. It is on that channel the Danish Olympic coverage starts Thursday with the game between Brazil and Belgium.

I thought the first medal event (cycling right?) didn't start until 2am ET of something.

The first medal event to end will most likely be the women's 10m Air Rifle final, which is scheduled to end 10:50 am Beijing time, which corresponds to 10:50 pm ET, as ddrapayo rightly said.

The first medal event to end will most likely be the women's 10m Air Rifle final, which is scheduled to end 10:50 am Beijing time, which corresponds to 10:50 pm ET, as ddrapayo rightly said.

I don't think they would. It would be odd to go from 10:30pm China time (since it's airing on a 12 hour delay) to suddenly go to 10:30am China time & then back to 10:30pm. It would be nice if they did though. I will check on the events during the commercials & have NBCOlympics.com up.

I don't think they would. It would be odd to go from 10:30pm China time (since it's airing on a 12 hour delay) to suddenly go to 10:30am China time & then back to 10:30pm. It would be nice if they did though. I will check on the events during the commercials & have NBCOlympics.com up.

It's possible they could have some sort of live report after the Opening Ceremony is over (which is on tape anyway, of course) before NBC goes off the air at Midnight. The only problem that creates then is that it's a pretty short turnaround for Costas and the rest of the Primetime crew after having just covered the OC. Granted it's going to be a relatively odd transition anyway from covering a nightime event to being on air at 8am for 2 weeks, but we'll just have to wait and see.