Some More Olympic Tv Updates

I'm very happy for you Tanaka that will offically have the Beijing Olympics on Indonesian TV! :) Though it isn't much compared to what your neighbors Malaysia, The Philippines, and Singapore will ultimately get. But it's still something. I wish it was still more like having First Media supplying supplemental and comprehensive coverage to keep things consistent with them.

Pacey, I don't think this available to those without DVR. I'll check the press release again.

Matter of fact, I'm thinking of starting a new splinter thread from this one regarding about recording the Olympics. I'll do that tomorrow. :)

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be "Why is it at 900 hours?' on my second-to-last post.

SBS just posted it Olympic TV schedule as the junior partner to 7. Scroll down to the end of the following weblink and click on the dates. Olympic sports and news are part of the daily schedule not on its own.

Beijing 2008 Coverage On SBS Australia.

Here's also SBS' Road To Beijing From SBS World News Australia that presents the Olympics from a multicultural Australian perspective. Something that I like to see the United States do more of after Beijing. What it's got now with the Chinese, Spanish, and Korean language coverage is just a first step.

Canal Plus France's revamped Jeux Olympics website: Canal + France Beijing 2008

Isn't it interesting that a few of the networks are utilizing former track Olympians that aren't native to the nation they're working for to cover the sport for them? CBC has David Moorcroft. Seven Australia's got Steve Ovett, and now NBC will have Ato Bolden on their roster. What is it. Surely they all bright and insightful, and I'm sure they all will do their jobs right.

Speaking of NBC, does anyone know how to get a copy of their insider's guide? I found one on eBay (I'll post the link below) but with the coupons and everything like that in it, I would think they could be obtained free somewhere. Anybody have a tip?

eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/BEIJING-2008-OLYMPIC-G...1QQcmdZViewItem

Interesting. I have a few of NBC's past viewer guides (including some I purchased off of eBay). This one says it's only 12 pages, the ones they've had in the past are full magazine size, upwards of 100 pages. That said, if there's coupons involved, maybe it's not such a bad thing after all.

Speaking of NBC, does anyone know how to get a copy of their insider's guide? I found one on eBay (I'll post the link below) but with the coupons and everything like that in it, I would think they could be obtained free somewhere. Anybody have a tip?

eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/BEIJING-2008-OLYMPIC-G...1QQcmdZViewItem

I found one taped to a roasted chicken that I bought from Safeway (all right, the container not the actual bird). I wouldn't recommend paying for one. And just in case you might care, the chicken was quite delicious.

We're about two weeks away from the start of the Games. And I'm still trying to get stuff from various nations on their TV plans. I'll get more into it as I get more time.

Right now though...

Brazil's SporTV from the huge Globo TV media empire down there has plans for five of its channels to air the Beijing 2008 Olympics 24 hours a day. SporTV is the main anchor channel with special focus on the Brazillian Olympians and news. The others are SporTV2, SporTV3, SporTV4, and the specific SporTV+, that last one is what Brazillians will need to have consult their cable or satelitte operator to have like in Athens, will serve as the interactive channel with stats, info, medal count, etc. All of the channels will broadcast live. Everything will start on August 1.

Terra will actually have Portuguese language service. If you noticed on ESPN Brasil's website, Terra is linked with the Portuguese arm "Worldwide Leader of Sports".

I have yet to see more info on what Argentina, Belgium, Serbia, Uruguay, Japan, South Korea, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Malta, Switzerland's French and Italian realms, Iceland, Norway, Bolivia, northern Africa, among many.

This animated sequence, based on the classical Chinese novel, "Journey to the West", has been produced by Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett, the men behind virtual band Gorillaz.

It will feature on TV, radio, web and mobile, introducing coverage of the Games on BBC Sport - the Olympic broadcaster in the UK:

Watch it here

This animated sequence, based on the classical Chinese novel, "Journey to the West", has been produced by Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett, the men behind virtual band Gorillaz.

It will feature on TV, radio, web and mobile, introducing coverage of the Games on BBC Sport - the Olympic broadcaster in the UK:

Watch it here

very cool - very different - will appeal to kids and adults alike. such a departure from the normal bbc idents for the olympics - not sure it is rousing enough a la athens and barcelona but will have to wait and see how it is on the night!

Very brave of the BBC not going for the obvious clips of city, clips of atheletes, clips of children laughing. Showing the characters running, diving, pole vaulting gets across the sports element, it is a tad scary in places, but bravo BBC for doing something different. What they gonna do for 2012!!!!

Very brave of the BBC not going for the obvious clips of city, clips of atheletes, clips of children laughing. Showing the characters running, diving, pole vaulting gets across the sports element, it is a tad scary in places, but bravo BBC for doing something different. What they gonna do for 2012!!!!

vicky pollard - pole vaulting over a council tower block - hurdling over burnt out cars etc etc. i haven't the foggeist to be honest - never thought the beeb would go the animation route for beijing!

I've just seen it properly on tele for the first time and that little Flash movie doesn't do it justice. A masterstroke from the Beeb; it looks really different; very striking indeed. Classy and very polished.

Edited by Rob ♪

I just looked at Switzerland's French language network, TSR, for its Olympic plans that just came out. With at least 82 athletes repping for Switzerland (or Suisse in French). TSR aims for 12 daily hours of live broadcast through TSR2 with a team of 28 to Beijing, starting with live coverage of the Openiong Ceremony. Coverage is from 6-18. Daily news of the Olympic day will come on 22:30 Swiss time every night and with Olympic Express from 12:30-18. An additional 17 hours, entirely live and simulcasted with bonus stuff, will appear on Suisse HD, TSR's HD channel. You can check this out as this is a little sidebar underneath the list of the Beijing's Swiss athletes. TSR Switzerland Olympic Games (Jeux Olympiques) 2008 Section

Perdita Felicien may not compete in Beijing, but she will be there regardless as the CBC announces her addition to the CBC Beijing Olympic broadcast team today.

Armenian 1 TV, known as the The First Channel for Armenian Public Television, will showcase the Olympics. Nothing to see yet from them as of this writing.

Belarus' First Channel has a programm called "Olympic Visa: On The Way To Beijing"

Wikipedia may have dropped RTBF from the list of international broadcasters. But it surely does appear that it will broadcast them with the second channel, La Deux, which covers sports and may get Le Trois involved. In this case, IOC will appear on a show on that channel presenting the venues of the Beijing Olympics to be aired Sunday. We shall see.

STV had a little contest for Slovaks in which they text message a trivia answer to the following questions: Where will the next summer Olympics will air and What year will it be hosted (A. 2010 B. 2012) Winners, I think, will earn tickets to the Games of the next Olympiad. There was a commercial, that was since taken off because the contest is over, with footage of the Athens Opening Ceremony.

SporTV+ will have actually Olympic coverage along with the stats and info.

BBC One has been airing a TV series featuring Team GB Olympic hopefuls as they discuss their dreams and hopes in the Olympics called appropriately enough Olympic Dreams. There viewers can follow the progress of them and see video and photos. Next airing is on Tuesday on 22:35 GST on BBC One.

Israel's Olympic TV representation will actually be made with not just Channel 1 but Sport 5 and Sport5+.

Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation's Olympic 2008 website with streams of its Olympic show featuring Cyprus Olympians. It would be nice if there was some English since it is a Commonwealth nation. The site will include live streaming from Beijing. The show is aired on PIK2, which will air the Games. Cyprus Broadcasting Olympics (in Greek)

NRK and TV2 have both made fully detailed Olympic schdules. NRK, unlike TV2, starts their coverage with preliminary soccer on August 6 since Norway's women have qualified for it, but it actually starts with Japan vs. New Zealand. What's more, Viasat SportN will do HD (more on that on my next post). TV2 starts theirs on August 7 with Made in China.

NRK Sport OL 2008 Schedule

TV2 Denmark 2008 Olympic TV Schedule (OL Sendeplan)

Georgia Public Broadcasting has their Olympic website up, but the English language one is still under construction.

I'll actually post the press release for CBC/TSN's 2008 coverage next time with some personal thoughts.

More Olympic TV news is fast approaching us as we speak and as I write this. Let's get on with it!

Radio Televizioni Shqiptar (Albania Public Radio and Television) is going to be involved with the Olympics for Albania. But the promo says nothing regarding the hours of coverage. But that will come soon. Its website does say it will be the exclusive transmitter for the Olympics on Albanian TV.

For your Canadians, don't forget that tomorrow the CBC will air Beijing: Opening The Gates of The East on 1pm Canada/US CT.

Greek TV finally comes with Olympic plans that I saw. I checked this out at a German digital TV forum: a poster notifies that Nova, the Greek pay-TV service, will have 6 channels of Olympic fun and action. Nova has yet to promote this on their website, and I've been checking for a while now. But that will get mention. Yes, ERT is going to be a part of it.

Austria is stepping into the future of television with digital interactive Olympic television on ORF1. Upon digital subscription, Austrian viewers will have up to five Olympia channels including ORF1 through aonTV under ORF1Interaktiv. Four iof those channels are parallel and free. ORF/Telekom Austria/AonTV's ORF1 Interaktiv Olympia 2008

The press release giving greater detail to CBC Newsworld, Samsung cellphone and CBC Radio coverage.

CBC Announces Key Details For Beijing 2008:The Olympic Games

Al-Jazeera Sport is going to broadcast the Olympics for the Middle East and North Africa. Even on Al-Jazeera HD.

For France TV, here's a summary of what's to come from those channels:

--France 2 will air the Opening Ceremony

--daily broadcasts starting at 3:00 France time on France 2, France 3, France 4

--17:30-18:45 daily Olympic summary show with interviews, highlights, etc.

--all of the soccer games will be on France 4

--Closing Ceremony on France 3

France TV Olympic 2008 Details (in French)

Actually SuperSport Maximo will take part in the broadcasting of the Olympics for South Africa and the rest of the continent. I looked at the daily regular schedule before writing this, and it does contain the preliminary soccer games, both men and women, before the Opening Ceremony on August 6 and 7 live that will also be live on SuperSport 6.

ARD's Beijing 2008 website has a new look and it looks much cleaner and crisper with a details of scheduling on TV and radio.

Peking 2008 ARD

TV Azteca is joining Televisa for the Olympic Games for Mexican broadcast. Channel 13 will air the Opening Ceremony with Channel 7 taking over for swimming, basketball, and boxing the next day starting at 8am.

Azteca Deportes Beijing 2008

I think I found the TV programming guide from Argentina's TyC Sports for its Olympic coverage, at least for the the first few days. I could be wrong on that, but I'll verify in a matter of days. Surely, there's another Argentinian TV broadcaster for this that I know I'll find out.

Chile's Canal 13 Olympic Website

Televisa Deportes Mexico announces it will broadcast over 300 hours of Olympic TV broadcasting fun in their primary portion in their partnership with TV Azteca for the 2008 Beijing Olympics to Mexicans. Not yet known how many hours the latter will air, but it'll come to light. It's very interesting that Olympic legends Carl Lewis and Nadia Comeneci will be on hand in a group of to offer their insights of the Games. I do know that Lewis does speak Spanish.

Televisa Deportes Is The Primary Olympic Broadcaster (in Spanish)

Judging from what I just read about India, talks between DD Sports and cable sports networks like ESPN Star and Zee Sports didn't materialize further than informal. So, it's just DD Sports doing the whole thing. It will be beamed on DD1 and DD Sports with most events starting at 11:30 India Standard Time. Broadcasts will start with daily highlight capsules from the previous day with summaries on weekends. Rest of the schedule is still being finalized.

Norway's NRK Sport apparently is going to have at least four live Internet streams of Olympic complimentary footage in various sports to go along with NRK1 and NRK2 OL TV plans. Meanwhile, Finland's YLE surely will have Internet straming of the Olympics in various sports like they did before, but I don't know for sure how many for Finns--even to its Swedish minority. FST5, YLE's Swedish language digital channel, will have 187 hours of the Beijing Olympics in that language. Swedish commentary will be offered online with the news and video as well. Anyway, here's YLE's Swedish language Olympic Games 2008 website (OS i Pekin 2008).

MediaCorp is going for the full glory for the Singaporeans with an unprecendented 2000 hours combined on Channel 5, Channel U, Channel 5HD, www.mediacorptv.sg, NewsAsia, and TV Mobile. Channel 5 will carry up to 18 hours a day among them. For more info, click here to its press release..

Got some info on Ukraine's First National Channel for the Olympics. But I can't tell how many hours it'll air, if it's mentioned at all, since it's all in Cyrillic and don't a lot of the numbers. Ukraine First National Channel Olympics

Arab States Broadcasting Union is in its final Olympics broadcast under its current contract.