Some More Olympic Tv Updates

SBS Australia makes public new developments toward their Olympic broadcasting plans as complimentary partner to Seven. 228 hours in total...but no schedule right now.

SBS Announces More On Its 2008 Beijing Olympic TV Plans

I'm very disturbed about what happened with TVNZ reporter Tony Veitch upon reading that he seriously assualted his partner and secretly paid her NZ$100,000 after I read ther Stuff story, and how will this affect his planned appearance in Beijing for TVNZ One. He's not going that's for sure. He knows his life and career is unraveling fast before his eyes and is very remorseful.

Televisa is sending a team of 200 staff members to Beijing reprsenting Mexico to cover the Olympics. In a press conference announcing that, Televisa will display the most advanced technology it has ever used in the network's history--28 tons of equipment from three ships and three air shipments. A production studio at the IBC will be 400 sq. m is reserved for them

with an additional 200 sq meters at the Ling Long Pagoda Tower.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

latest news from Indonesia broadcaster, it's confirmed on July 9th that there is no Indonesia's broadcaster which will broadcast the olympic :(, the reason is because the demand for Olympic in Indonesia is very low... :( they said that just badminton and maybe soccer which have a lot of audience in Indonesia, and unfortunately the broadcaster can choose to buy just two sport, they said the broadcaster must buy all of the packet and that is pretty expensive for Indonesia's broadcaster :(

latest news from Indonesia broadcaster, it's confirmed on July 9th that there is no Indonesia's broadcaster which will broadcast the olympic :(, the reason is because the demand for Olympic in Indonesia is very low... :( they said that just badminton and maybe soccer which have a lot of audience in Indonesia, and unfortunately the broadcaster can choose to buy just two sport, they said the broadcaster must buy all of the packet and that is pretty expensive for Indonesia's broadcaster :(

That's a damn shame to have that happen, but we have seen Indonesia pick up some last minute Olympic TV rights four years. Don't give up hope just yet; it'll be scandalous to see Indonesia end up being the largest nation in the world not having its own domestic TV broadcasting to the Olympics when even smaller nations can get theirs even if its shared and collaborated like in the case of AUB/SABC.

With NBC operating the most hours in broadcasting, and in comparison to the 4000 hours BOB will produce, what events will get omitted from NBC's showing is ponderous. I still like to think NBC will show everything, even on-demand and the scheduling is preliminary. But we'll see and figure out soon enough. Perhaps those 400 planned missing hours may just end up being needless intermissions and studio interviews and features.

Since there's little going on right now until surely in a day or two, I'm making a list of all the known international TV networks that are broadcasting the Olympics in terms of hours as to how they stack up with each other. We have yet to see many other nations to release their plans and there will be corrections or edits to this:

NBC--3600+ hours (1400 hours on NBC, USA, MSNBC, CNBC, Oxygen, Telemundo, NBC HD, USA HD, and UniversalHD, 2200 hours live online, additional hours on NBC Olympic Basketball Channel, NBC Olympic Soccer Channel, and on Chinese (Mandarin) and Korean language channels)

Terra--3300 hours online throughout Latin America

BBC--2750+ hours (300 hours on BBC1 and BBC2, 2450 hours on Freeview/online)

CCTV--2500 hours (CCTV-1, CCTV-2, CCTV-5, CCTV-7, CCTV News, CCTV-HD, pay per view channels for soccer and tennis)

France TV/Canal+--1200 hours (400 hours on France TV, 800 hours on Canal +)

RTVE/Teledeporte--1100(?) hours

ARD/ZDF--900 hours (300 hours on both ARD and ZDF with additional hours on EinsPlus, EinsFestival, ZDFinfokanal, and ZDFdocukanal)

7/SBS--800+ hours (228 hours on SBS)

TVNZ--800 hours (assembled on TVNZ ONE, TVNZ Sport, two online channels)

SVT--700 hours (assembled all on SVT1, SVT24, and Peking + on SVT Play)

Solar Entertainment/RPN-9--800+ hours (assembled all on Solar Sports, RPN-9, BasketballTV, C/S, ETC., Jack TV, 2nd Ave.)

TVP--700-1000(?) hours (on TVP1, TVP2, TVP Sport, TVP HD, and www.iTVP.pl)

RTP--500 hours

Eurosport--400 hours

M1/M2--400 hours

ETV--400 hours (bulk will appear on ETV1, ETV2 will have supplemental coverage)

RAI Due--360 hours

Channel 2 (Russia)--360(?) hours

DR--335 hours (285 hours on DR1, 55 hours on DR2)

SF--300 hours

RTE--260-300 (?) hours

YLE--225(?) hours

TSN--125 hours

AUB--126 hours

RTE Olympic Games 2008 will have Bill O'Herlihy, Darragh Maloney, Peter Collins, Michael Lyster, Tracey Piggott, and Joanne Cartwell all serve as anchors for RTE's Beijing Olympic coverage. Up to 16 hours of coverage a day will be on RTE Sport.

Also, RTE Sport is airing (also online to Irish residents only) a five-part TV series in cooperative production with the Olympic Council of Ireland and the Irish Sports Council. The TV series features in-depth interviews with top Irish athletes and international experts across a wide range of sports like Derval O'Rourke, David Gillick, Eileen O'Keeffe, Kenny Egan, Paul Hession, Joanne Cuddihy, and Alistair Cragg.

It's true, there's only one price for all the sports. Can you not receive a broadcaster from a country next to Indonesia?

I thought about asking that question myself but there likely will be territorial restrictions and blackouts for Indonesian. Perhaps the cable service should strike a deal with ASTRO for this for Indonesian customers could customize their options.

NOS--400 hours (Nederland 1--and including online?) forgot about that

Wait a minute, I must correct my statement on NBC's 3600 hours. A couple of CNN pieces report NBC will archive up to 4000 hours of coverage--practically everything--from their Beijing broadcast and BOB. I'll link them tomorrow. Moreover, I just checked over at NBC Olympics and their TV and local listings section is now updated with a programming grid and more details to what channel to watch it on by selection. No online listings though.

How many broadcasters around the world will still do the jump on their coverage. That is, go from one sport in progress to one with seemingly greater priority and interest?

I wish Seven and SBS, given I know how much Australians are mad about sports like the Olympics, were more comprehensive with the Olympic coverage like Nine and FOXTEL were with the 2006 Commonwealth Games and surely will starting with Vancouver.

Chunghwa Telecom in Taiwan won the rights to the exclusive Taiwanese digital and new media coverage in mid-November on the Internet, cell phones, and IPTV on its Multimedia On Demand service, that will bring forth more consumers and promote IPTV and next gen network services. Four Taiwanese broadcasters including China Television Co. already own the Taiwan broadcast rights for traditional pay-TV platforms like cable. I'll Google for more details tomorrow.

Anixe HD in Deutschland will broadcast select Olympic events in HD, but curiously not counting the Opening Ceremony to German viewers. It vows to involve showing sailing, archery, cycling, and a few other. Though several could be secured up until early August.

Wait a minute, I must correct my statement on NBC's 3600 hours. A couple of CNN pieces report NBC will archive up to 4000 hours of coverage--practically everything--from their Beijing broadcast and BOB. I'll link them tomorrow. Moreover, I just checked over at NBC Olympics and their TV and local listings section is now updated with a programming grid and more details to what channel to watch it on by selection. No online listings though.

I saw that article and practically cheered. I start back to college halfway through the Games, so having the online coverage of practically everything archived is really great. I can catch what I miss and what I can't DVR online. Hopefully, they'll keep the coverage online sometime after the end of the games. Then, I can extend the Olympics out for a while and catch tons of stuff! :) And, yes, I'm eagerly anticipating the online grid on NBCOlympics.com as well. I wonder when the really detailed competition schedule (who plays who in the tennis matches for example) will be released...thanks for the info, Durban! :)

It's true, there's only one price for all the sports. Can you not receive a broadcaster from a country next to Indonesia?

I think we can receive some broadcaster from aboard :) CCTV will be my first option :), other than that, we still have cable TV like ESPN, eurosport, StarSport, etc :), like durban said, I hope there will be last minute tv channel in Indonesia which will buy the right, I hope at least TVRI (the goverment own channel) can buy the right :)

With NBC operating the most hours in broadcasting, and in comparison to the 4000 hours BOB will produce, what events will get omitted from NBC's showing is ponderous. I still like to think NBC will show everything, even on-demand and the scheduling is preliminary. But we'll see and figure out soon enough. Perhaps those 400 planned missing hours may just end up being needless intermissions and studio interviews and features.

First off, here's the link to the CNN article Durban and Infinite mentioned, it's an interview with Perkins Miller, NBC's senior VP of digital media for sports and Olympics...

Network opens its online Olympic coverage

Second.. Durban, I think you're still a little confused with the numbers NBC is throwing out at you. The 3,600 hours of coverage they're providing (and according to NBC's release, that doesn't even include the 4 Olympic specialty channels) is not a subset of the 4,000 BOB is providing. That 3,600 is the sum of the 1,400 hours of television coverage plus the 2,200 of online coverage. The online coverage can be considered a subset of BOB's since it's assumed that will be mostly, if not entirely, video provided by BOB. The 1,400 TV hours doesn't come directly from BOB, especially since NBC will likely be producing, at least in part, many events on their own. And of course, that number isn't 1,400 hours of event coverage, although that would have been tremendously cool. So the notion that NBC is taking all but 400 hours from BOB's total is simply not correct.

Here's my question though.. now that we know that NBC will have 4,000 hours worth of archived video, I'm curious as to where that's coming from. Obviously anything they show live online (with or without commentary) is easy enough to put back online. The remaining hours can't all come from TV since that wouldn't reach the total of 4,000. And then what happens with sports like swimming or gymnastics which NBC will cover extensively (but certainly not in their entirety) on TV but not online.

Clearly many questions remain about NBC's online coverage. We know pretty much all the details about NBC's TV schedules save for an exact breakdown of the hour-by-hour programming (which we know will certainly come in time). But the online information remains very spotty. Durban.. you've been a great source of information thus far. If you see anything else, be sure to keep us posted. Likewise, I'll do the same.

First off, here's the link to the CNN article Durban and Infinite mentioned, it's an interview with Perkins Miller, NBC's senior VP of digital media for sports and Olympics...

Network opens its online Olympic coverage

Second.. Durban, I think you're still a little confused with the numbers NBC is throwing out at you. The 3,600 hours of coverage they're providing (and according to NBC's release, that doesn't even include the 4 Olympic specialty channels) is not a subset of the 4,000 BOB is providing. That 3,600 is the sum of the 1,400 hours of television coverage plus the 2,200 of online coverage. The online coverage can be considered a subset of BOB's since it's assumed that will be mostly, if not entirely, video provided by BOB. The 1,400 TV hours doesn't come directly from BOB, especially since NBC will likely be producing, at least in part, many events on their own. And of course, that number isn't 1,400 hours of event coverage, although that would have been tremendously cool. So the notion that NBC is taking all but 400 hours from BOB's total is simply not correct.

Here's my question though.. now that we know that NBC will have 4,000 hours worth of archived video, I'm curious as to where that's coming from. Obviously anything they show live online (with or without commentary) is easy enough to put back online. The remaining hours can't all come from TV since that wouldn't reach the total of 4,000. And then what happens with sports like swimming or gymnastics which NBC will cover extensively (but certainly not in their entirety) on TV but not online.

Clearly many questions remain about NBC's online coverage. We know pretty much all the details about NBC's TV schedules save for an exact breakdown of the hour-by-hour programming (which we know will certainly come in time). But the online information remains very spotty. Durban.. you've been a great source of information thus far. If you see anything else, be sure to keep us posted. Likewise, I'll do the same.

Thanks Quaker2001 for the compliment. :)

Admittedly, I am a little confused with the numbers NBC brings forth. With the money NBC shelved out for Beijing, you're right in saying what NBC is supplying on television is entirely their productions without the need for BOB, which will complimentary online. I acknowledge just less than half of the 1400 hours is actually the HD simulcast. I have a feeling we'll see footage exclusively online of events that aren't televised or wasn't already promoted to be online now. There's still NBC Olympic online info that needs coming out publicly.

Speaking of the NBC online Olympic coverage, for those living north of border (or anywhere else outside of the US, even US ex-patriates) who are envious of the bountiful Olympic NBC is bringing and are trying to get a taste, tough. This was already in the plans to restrict by the IOC and the need to prohibit the potential going into other nations, no matter how comprehensive or not the coverage is in other lands in order to maximize the revenue. It's a creepy-looking image and a voiceover. CBC has yet to determine the scope of their online Olympic package. Maybe CBC and TSN will do that all at once.

Digital Home: NO NBC Olympic Coverage Available to Canadians (or Anybody Else Outside of the US For That Matter)!

Hold on about that! We now just got word from the CBC regarding their Beijing 2008 plans, their final Olympics broadcast until at least 2014, announced today in Toronto! Really good stuff! All you Canadians here like Fox and Chateau listen up! The CBC, CBC Newsworld, SRC, CBC digital channel bold, TSN, and RDS will air over 2436+ hours to bring home Beijing 2008: The Summer Olympic Games to Canadians. The breakdown will be over 2000 hours in English with the CBC will air 282 hours, CBC Newsworld 145 hours, bold broadcasting 250, and TSN offering 150 hours. CBCSports.ca will present 1500 hours of Olympic event content online, nine, uninterrupted channels daily throughout the games, all of it live in addition to on-demand features, interviews, highlights, and cultural content with CBC news regional reports and CBC Radio clips! For the Francophones, Radio-Canada will show 263 hours of content with TSN's French language sports network RDS bringing in 206.

CBC digital channel (digital but not HD) bold will serve as the EXCLUSIVE AND DAILY home for Equestrian and Sailing events for BEIJING 2008: THE OLYMPIC GAMES, which will include at least 150 hours of shared footage as part of the 250 in total. CBC NEWSWORLD will work closely with up-to-the-minute news and information of the athletic competition and performance. CBC Newsworld will cover news and stories beyond the venues with special interviews and features under the BEIJING TODAY banner, airing every hour on the half-hour from 5am to 12:30pm ET. CBC Newsworld will mostly BEIJING TODAY and both the Opening and Closing Ceremonies--about 60 and 18 hours respectively on those combined events. That's half of their Olympic programming right there. TSN2 could obviously deal with the issue of HD not observed by bold (formerly CBC Country Canada) and CBC Newsworld. CBC's press release mentions the Games will be entirely covereed in HD for Canadians, but that's inaccurate.

CBC's Beijing coverage starts on August 6 at 3:45am with the Canadian women's soccer team taking on Argentina in a preliminary match. On Thursday, August 7 at 9pm local time, the CBC preps Canadians for the Games with a BEIJING 2008 Preview (also on CBCSports.ca at 7pm CT) followed by the Opening Ceremony at the Beijing National Stadium (aka the Bird's Nest) at 6am on Friday, August 8.

About time we're getting stuff now from the Middle East promoting Olympics TV coverage worldwide. Wikipedia added Israel's public broadcaster Channel 1 and its Channel 1 Sports Channel to its roster. I tried to see any confirmation from the website but there's nothing. No news on what sports it'll cover and the ceremonies, let alone how many hours in total. Also, the United Arab Emirates will show it through Dubai Sports, but I can't read in Arabic. I don't know much about the channel and how far does it get transmitted. I saw that it goes to Saudi Arabia. No details on IRIB Channel 3 from Iran I can read. Nothing about North Africa.

SBS Australia makes public new developments toward their Olympic broadcasting plans as complimentary partner to Seven. 228 hours in total...but no schedule right now.

SBS Announces More On Its 2008 Beijing Olympic TV Plans

I'm very disturbed about what happened with TVNZ reporter Tony Veitch upon reading that he seriously assualted his partner and secretly paid her NZ$100,000 after I read ther Stuff story, and how will this affect his planned appearance in Beijing for TVNZ One. He's not going that's for sure. He knows his life and career is unraveling fast before his eyes and is very remorseful.

Televisa is sending a team of 200 staff members to Beijing reprsenting Mexico to cover the Olympics. In a press conference announcing that, Televisa will display the most advanced technology it has ever used in the network's history--28 tons of equipment from three ships and three air shipments. A production studio at the IBC will be 400 sq. m is reserved for them

with an additional 200 sq meters at the Ling Long Pagoda Tower.

Peter Williams is replacing Tony Veitch at the games as our prime time anchor at the games covering the night time competition!

Here's one of the articles that I'm referring to regarding the deeply shameful act Tony Veitch committed.

Stuff: Tony Veitch's New Sexual Assault Allegations

Some preliminary discussion occured between Doordorshan and ESPN Star and Zee Sports to share the Indian Beijing 2008 feed with DD Sports, which holds exclusive rights to for India, in June. But talks were informal and no formal pleas were set up at the time. Also, no news channel were approached for footage access with the going rate originally high but later revised to $5000 hours for five hours of Olympic footage and $4000 from five hours to 25, and $3000 for than 25 hours. Neo may have talked too as of this writing.

In Sri Lanka, SL TV networks Rupavahini and Channel Eye/Netra TV could hold the coverage this year. Last time in Athens it was Sirasa telecasting the Games.

More TSN Olympic 2008 Details

With TSN schedule: http://ctvmedia.ca/tsn/releases/releases.a...0&yyyy=2008

Durban,

I got your message but now I can't reply to you because your inbox is full again. I need your help on something, I just got a bunch of coverage from 1992 in Barcelona and I don't have the opening ceremony. Please let me know if you know anyone who may have this.

the bbc olympic titles have been announced on their website - artwork by the genius behind the gorillaz - see link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/olympics/2008/0...ney_begins.html

I only just came across this blog post. Sounds pretty cool actually; certainly make a change from the usual.

So all the BBC's opening and closing sequences, promos, adverts etc are going to feautre these crazy characters.

monkey1.jpg

_44837860_monkey2_466x260.jpg

Link

Anyone seen them in use yet????

Edited by Rob ♪

I only just came across this blog post. Sounds pretty cool actually; certainly make a change from the usual.

So all the BBCs opening and closing sequences, promos, adverts etc are going to feautre these crazy characters.

monkey1.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/7410444.stm

Anyone seen them in use yet????

first air would be 27th July

A snip of the promo

_44837860_monkey2_466x260.jpg

Im very impressed with the BBC, looks like they will be using the characters created by Gorillaz creator Jamie Hewlett for the Beijing Olympics. The characters are from an Opera of the Monkey story being performed at the Royal Opera House London. Im very excited hes a great illustrator, meet the characters here, they are going to be the faces of the games on the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/7410444.stm

And u can download your own monkey to ya pooters to keep u updated

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/monkey/7479984.stm

Cant wait to see it on my TV screen

TVP's Olympic website, www.pekin.tvp.pl, will be up and running in about over a week.

Looks as though Australia will less Olympic programming hours than what I thought it was going to have through 7 and SBS. Together those two networks will air over 600 hours and not the 800 hours I was expecting from them. It was hyped as having the most coverage for Australia since Sydney's 1200 hours. But the only thing that make it so is the fact that the time zone hours are more favorable for Australians than it was during Athens. Also, Seven's got AFL coverage coming in on weekends as a brief intermission from the Games, so that interferes with it. Meanwhile New Zealand's going to have over 800 hours through TVNZ ONE, TVNZ Sport, and its two Internet streams. What does it say to Australians when they see their fierce Kiwi rivals, if you know anything about their sporting rivalry, having more Olympic stuff to consume? And Australia is a much bigger market than what the New Zealanders have. I know Aussies are sports-mad, but this amount of coverage could do them a disservice. If Seven and SBS were smart in their Beijing negotiations, those two would've hammereed out some Internet hours plans to take care of sports that'll get neglected or not involving Aussies (or have pay-TV channels specifically for the Olympics). :( Something tells me that South Africa's SuperSport will earn more hours than 7/SBS.

Speaking of SuperSport, new Olympic TV programming leading up to Beijing include "Africa To Beijing", "Beijing, Are You Ready?", "Olympic Spirit" and "Opening The Gates Of The East". With that, new details emerged about SuperSport's plans: from what I saw from its website (but I hope sincerely I am proven wrong) there won't be any plans for preliminary soccer games before the Opening Ceremony, which will be simulcasted on SuperSport 5, 6, and 7/10--I don't know why the last is called 7/10. Maybe Mo Rush could explain. SuperSport 6 is the 24 hour channel with all of the live action of the popular gold medal events. SuperSport 5 and SuperSport 7/10 will feature live action events when clashes with event times ensues. There will also be two overflow channels with channel 198 on DStv shown all over the African continent and channel 199 just broadcasting to South Africa only. Don't forget about SuperSport HD, which will take from SuperSport 6. Yes, there will be a daily two-hour magazine show lasting from 19:30-21:30 (South Africa time) with interviews with athletes and the day's event highlights. I wish that SuperSport Maximo was involved in this to give the Portuguese speakers something to follow with with Angola in on basketball and perhaps add an Afrikaans SuperSport for it too. Surely, African Olympians will get covered with SuperSport as it stands.

NBC partners with DIRECTV with hours of Beijing VOD goodies with the aid of a HD DVR or a R22 DVR and go to either channel 1000 or 1008. NBC is producing 10 titles of on-demand each week up until the end of the Games that will total to 500. Service will be available on both standard and HD. Maybe several of our would-be recorders would think about this too. Verizon Wireless will operate on-demand footage, news, highlights, Internet streaming, stats/results, and the two high-definition channels solely devoted to basketball and soccer. AT&T will provide live streaming through its Uverse and mobile customers will get 24 hour access service on AT&T's new MediaFLO service called NBC Olympics2GO.

Aside from Great Britain, Spain, and France, I don't understand why a lot of European nations are going to have their Beijing Olympic coverage not in the thousands as I expect it would. There are several nations that have yet to publicly announce their amount of coverage. Some nations just can't cover that many. Germany surely seems capabale. But why is it still at 900 hours.

Here's some detail of olympic in TVRI :

- TVRI is choosen because their coverage area is the largest in Indonesia, they reach all the region in Indonesia with out exception :)

- TVRI will air all of the sport where Indonesian athletes take a part :)

- TVRI will air 123 hours of Olympic in 4 channels :)

- TVRI will send 5 crew to the Beijing and they will start air the Beijing 2008 from the opening ceremony on august 8th 19.00 Indonesian West Time :)