Some More Olympic Tv Updates

Is there any word on when NBC will release its complete schedule?

Don't know how official or accurate this is, but it looks like someone posted most of the cable schedule on NBCOlympics.com ...

http://universalsports.nbcsports.com/blogs/post/921

Looks like USA has long form coverage from 2am until Noon ET most days.

MSNBC is long form coverage from 5am until 5pm ET

CNBC is on from Midnight to 2am, 2am to 4:30am (I'd bet the farm that's all boxing) and 5pm to 8pm (probably also boxing)

Oxygen, as we know, is weeknights from 6pm to 8pm.

Telemundo is a little scattered

And nothing there on NBC yet

Again, don't know how accurate this all is, but it's nice to see a potential picture of NBC's coverage plans.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be better for the third world countries to take hold of this chance and let IOC know of their interest in the Olympic media.

Every now and then some big tv names continue to dominate the air with Olympic events reaching only a fraction of the rich in poor African countries, that's those who are capable enough to afford DSTV.

Frantically, I personally want to see the gap well bridged between the poor(with are the true audience) and the rich which are very few in numbers.

Don't know how official or accurate this is, but it looks like someone posted most of the cable schedule on NBCOlympics.com ...

http://universalsports.nbcsports.com/blogs/post/921

Looks like USA has long form coverage from 2am until Noon ET most days.

MSNBC is long form coverage from 5am until 5pm ET

CNBC is on from Midnight to 2am, 2am to 4:30am (I'd bet the farm that's all boxing) and 5pm to 8pm (probably also boxing)

Oxygen, as we know, is weeknights from 6pm to 8pm.

Telemundo is a little scattered

And nothing there on NBC yet

Again, don't know how accurate this all is, but it's nice to see a potential picture of NBC's coverage plans.

More info, direct from 1 of NBC's websites...

Coverage of the Olympic Games on the networks of NBC Universal, beginning 8.8.08:

* NBC - 150+ hours of Games coverage

* USA Network - 175+ hours

* MSNBC - 150+ hours

* CNBC - 100+ hours

* Oxygen - 20 hours

* Telemundo - 150+ hours of programming in Spanish

* NBC HD - 150+ hours simulcast of NBC

* Universal HD* - 345+ hours of the best coverage of events from MSNBC and CNBC

* USA HD* - 175+ hours simulcast of USA

* CNBC HD+* - 100+ hours simulcast of CNBC

* Broadband* - 2,200 hours of live streaming of events, profiles, interviews, news

* Video On Demand* - Pre-Games clips, in-Games general and sport specific daily highlights and event rewinds, select content available in HD

* Interactivity* - Mosaics, one-screen overlays, two-screen applications

* *DEAL CONTINGENT CONTENT. AVAILABILITY BASED ON DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENT.

NBCU is committed to helping you achieve your LAS and Marketing goals and have developed fully integrated plans to help you close deals!

Thanks for all of the latest updates pertaining to NBC's Olympic TV plans in the last two days! I was planning to tabulate how many hours each of the networks were going to air them and how many in total. But thanks to newbie Quaker2001 (welcome!), I didn't need to do much of the dirty work since I was away much due to my work at Busch Stadium lately, though I did already.

I just noticed there's a modified look to NBCOlympics.com at this time too. Plus, it's announced on its press release there will 3500 hours in total--100 more than originally planned. The TV times may not be final but, given the past Olympic schedules, it should be close to accurate. As expected, MSNBC will air preliminary Team USA soccer games with the time in question of course for final scheduling by the BOCOG organizers. I figured UniversalHD will air a large portion of its coverage from MSNBC and CNBC (more from MSNBC) since the other networks have HD simulcasts; I also take it the network will air all preliminary men's and women's soccer games.

I spotted too that Telemundo and UniversalHD will not air Olympics on 8/8. I was hoping the former will offer the Opening and Closing Ceremonies for Spanish speakers, unless NBC plans to offer SAP audio for them, which would be only right. I can why the others aren't going to.

It would be better for the third world countries to take hold of this chance and let IOC know of their interest in the Olympic media.

Every now and then some big tv names continue to dominate the air with Olympic events reaching only a fraction of the rich in poor African countries, that's those who are capable enough to afford DSTV.

Frantically, I personally want to see the gap well bridged between the poor(with are the true audience) and the rich which are very few in numbers.

It will take decades and generations for Third World nations to, assuming the domestic economies improve in quantam leaps, earn clout in the eyes of the world (read: the West) as respective complete international sports powers. Not going to happen anytime soon. Some so-called Third World nations are more prepared than others like Brazil. My advice to you is await for South Africa, the most industrialized, advanced in transportation and communication, and economicaly nation in all of Africa, to develop more clout and enjoy the immense coverage offered through Supersport, which does get shown in Nigeria, among all African nations. Admittedly, it will only reach a minority of Nigerian who can afford it.

Thanks for all of the latest updates pertaining to NBC's Olympic TV plans in the last two days! I was planning to tabulate how many hours each of the networks were going to air them and how many in total. But thanks to newbie Quaker2001 (welcome!), I didn't need to do much of the dirty work since I was away much due to my work at Busch Stadium lately, though I did already.

I just noticed there's a modified look to NBCOlympics.com at this time too. Plus, it's announced on its press release there will 3500 hours in total--100 more than originally planned. The TV times may not be final but, given the past Olympic schedules, it should be close to accurate. As expected, MSNBC will air preliminary Team USA soccer games with the time in question of course for final scheduling by the BOCOG organizers. I figured UniversalHD will air a large portion of its coverage from MSNBC and CNBC (more from MSNBC) since the other networks have HD simulcasts; I also take it the network will air all preliminary men's and women's soccer games.

I spotted too that Telemundo and UniversalHD will not air Olympics on 8/8. I was hoping the former will offer the Opening and Closing Ceremonies for Spanish speakers, unless NBC plans to offer SAP audio for them, which would be only right. I can why the others aren't going to.

In further breaking down the schedule, here's a few more bits of info I've managed to put together...

It seems like CNBC and MSNBC rarely have their coverage overlap, so it stands to reason that Universal HD can take a live simulcast of whichever one is on the air at the time. Also, that 5am start time makes a lot of sense.. that's when the 1st of the soccer matches is each day during the preliminary rounds, so that's what MSNBC probably comes on the air with (wouldn't surprise me in the least for the US men and women to be schedule in that earlier slot most days, as opposed to playing in an 8am ET game).

I need to go over the lists to see how much overlap there is between the five networks in my efforts to make "the complete record" of the Games. I nearly killed myself with Athens and that was with three TVs and FIVE VCRs! Hoping NBC doesn't overlap too much as I'd like to just coast through a games like I did in Atlanta. I know, fat chance, but a guy can dream.

I need to go over the lists to see how much overlap there is between the five networks in my efforts to make "the complete record" of the Games. I nearly killed myself with Athens and that was with three TVs and FIVE VCRs! Hoping NBC doesn't overlap too much as I'd like to just coast through a games like I did in Atlanta. I know, fat chance, but a guy can dream.

How did we ever survive on only 160-170 hours of coverage.

How did we ever survive on only 160-170 hours of coverage.

It's amazing thinking back to Sydney and how NBC was promoting that as "The Complete Olympics" because they added a website and a few hours of cable coverage each day. If that was 'complete', how do they classify what this is. For anyone who saw Costas Now this week, Norman Chad describe sports fans as crack addicts. Well, as the Olympics prove, this is what you get when they keep feeding us more crack.

matt.. glad to know I'm not the only person who is insane like that. I did the same thing for Athens (as well as every Olympics since Albertville). I think I wound up borrowing 3 cable boxes from family and friends, hopefully I can pull that off again this time. Do you have everything from Athens? Because I messed up on a few things and would like to plug those holes in my collection if at all possible.

It's amazing thinking back to Sydney and how NBC was promoting that as "The Complete Olympics" because they added a website and a few hours of cable coverage each day. If that was 'complete', how do they classify what this is. For anyone who saw Costas Now this week, Norman Chad describe sports fans as crack addicts. Well, as the Olympics prove, this is what you get when they keep feeding us more crack.

matt.. glad to know I'm not the only person who is insane like that. I did the same thing for Athens (as well as every Olympics since Albertville). I think I wound up borrowing 3 cable boxes from family and friends, hopefully I can pull that off again this time. Do you have everything from Athens? Because I messed up on a few things and would like to plug those holes in my collection if at all possible.

Sad statistic: I taped so much, I'm not even sure WHAT I have from Athens. I'm pretty sure my main NBC coverage is more or less complete, but pretty sure I messed up on CNBC's boxing coverage. Past that? Not sure.

As for my records? Keep in mind, is ABC, CBS and NBC.

Some of the last day and the entire Closing Ceremony from Calgary

A wrap up of the Seoul Olympics.

About 70 percent of Albertville.

All primetime coverage from Barcelona, probably about 75% of the morning and evening programing, say about 80% weekend coverage.

Lillehammer is virtually complete.

Aside from the beginning of the Women's Marathon, Atlanta is complete.

Nagano is complete.

Sydney... hard to say. I THINK I got about 85-90% of everything. Honestly, haven't had time to check it all.

SLC... except for the Men's Hockey final, I think I got everything. I've just mislaid that tape somewhere.

Athens we've discussed.

Torino... about 95%. Messed up on one day of taping and missed the primetime.

Yes, it IS like a drug. My dream of trying to get a complete Olympics recorded lived on because I can always nitpick about missing JUST a minute before a fade out of something. ;)

Sad statistic: I taped so much, I'm not even sure WHAT I have from Athens. I'm pretty sure my main NBC coverage is more or less complete, but pretty sure I messed up on CNBC's boxing coverage. Past that? Not sure.

As for my records? Keep in mind, is ABC, CBS and NBC.

Some of the last day and the entire Closing Ceremony from Calgary

A wrap up of the Seoul Olympics.

About 70 percent of Albertville.

All primetime coverage from Barcelona, probably about 75% of the morning and evening programing, say about 80% weekend coverage.

Lillehammer is virtually complete.

Aside from the beginning of the Women's Marathon, Atlanta is complete.

Nagano is complete.

Sydney... hard to say. I THINK I got about 85-90% of everything. Honestly, haven't had time to check it all.

SLC... except for the Men's Hockey final, I think I got everything. I've just mislaid that tape somewhere.

Athens we've discussed.

Torino... about 95%. Messed up on one day of taping and missed the primetime.

Yes, it IS like a drug. My dream of trying to get a complete Olympics recorded lived on because I can always nitpick about missing JUST a minute before a fade out of something. ;)

Wow! :)

Norman Chad pleaded in a 1992 Sports Illustrated column during the Barcelona Games for those watching the ill-fated Olympic Triplecast and of the Olympic coverage in turn to "please seek counseling as soon as the Games end." I laugh every time I think about it since. And I'm proud to be one big Olympic crackhead (and of sports in general)...it's REAL GOOD crack!!! :) But I must admit to undergoing withdrawals afterwards and nitpicking about missing stuff like you.

Have you ever considered of converting them all onto DVDs? Maybe we could help you unless you either figured it out or went to a place for it. Better yet, there are those of us on these boards who would like to replenish or expand their Olympic TV coverage collection (myself included) and possibly complete your own. If you like I can send you a private message and explain my situation even further at least. This time with we don't necessarily have the issue of missing out on stuff because 3000+ hours of it will be on-demand at the NBCOlympics.com website, but there's something about getting situations live that you can't always get on-demand. I'm hoping someone from Greece did likewise from ERT from Athens (complete pre-Opening ceremony stuff too). Plus for LA's ABC 180 hour telecast.

I tried sending this via PM, but will post here. Isn't a 3 message limit incredible?

I'm already communicating with someone about filling holes in my collection and am working on transfering my tapes to DVD (Albertville is already complete, working on Barcelona and Lillehammer this summer before Beijing gets going.). That being said, I'm the proverbial giving tree. If you need some help covering some holes in your collection or if you could help me, by all means, let us open negotiations.

It is darn good crack, isn't it? And yes, like you said, there is something about capturing events in the moment. YouTube and NBCOlympics.com may be great, but there's something about having a hard copy in your hands that you can go to any time you wish... I like that. It's why I do it.

Come to think of it, we may end up establishing a series of safety nets for Beijing in case someone's recorder fails! Not a bad thing either.

Norman Chad pleaded in a 1992 Sports Illustrated column during the Barcelona Games for those watching the ill-fated Olympic Triplecast and of the Olympic coverage in turn to "please seek counseling as soon as the Games end." I laugh every time I think about it since. And I'm proud to be one big Olympic crackhead (and of sports in general)...it's REAL GOOD crack!!! :) But I must admit to undergoing withdrawals afterwards and nitpicking about missing stuff like you.

Have you ever considered of converting them all onto DVDs? Maybe we could help you unless you either figured it out or went to a place for it. Better yet, there are those of us on these boards who would like to replenish or expand their Olympic TV coverage collection (myself included) and possibly complete your own. If you like I can send you a private message and explain my situation even further at least. This time with we don't necessarily have the issue of missing out on stuff because 3000+ hours of it will be on-demand at the NBCOlympics.com website, but there's something about getting situations live that you can't always get on-demand. I'm hoping someone from Greece did likewise from ERT from Athens (complete pre-Opening ceremony stuff too). Plus for LA's ABC 180 hour telecast.

I'm seeing a conflict on the first day. The OC will be broadcast on NBC on tape delay (of course) at 8pm EDT, which is an hour and a half after the competition day has started Saturday in Beijing (actually Hong Kong, the dressage portion of the equestrian eventing competition starts at 6:30). While I'm not that interested in dressage, there are other sports going on shortly thereafter. The conflict lies in being able to watch the competition online without the website spoiling the details of the ceremony before I have the opportunity to see it for myself. I hope you don't have to go to the main page at NBCOlympics.com to access the online feed.

By the way, I guess I qualify as a crackhead too. And proud of it.

Durban.. I tried PM'ing you as well, that 3 message limit is just really annoying. I'm the guy on the other end of the transaction with mattperiolat. As I told him, I have easy access to my whole collection and like that it is now finally serving some purpose other than sitting in a closet. Send me a reply/PM and let me know what Olympics video you have, maybe there's something we can trade as well.

I'm seeing a conflict on the first day. The OC will be broadcast on NBC on tape delay (of course) at 8pm EDT, which is an hour and a half after the competition day has started Saturday in Beijing (actually Hong Kong, the dressage portion of the equestrian eventing competition starts at 6:30). While I'm not that interested in dressage, there are other sports going on shortly thereafter. The conflict lies in being able to watch the competition online without the website spoiling the details of the ceremony before I have the opportunity to see it for myself. I hope you don't have to go to the main page at NBCOlympics.com to access the online feed.

By the way, I guess I qualify as a crackhead too. And proud of it.

I'll be interested to see how NBC handles coverage on August 8th. Obviously their primetime show will be live starting the following night, but do they do the primetime show on the 8th live with all the taped coverage from the Opening Ceremony. Seems to me they almost have to in case there's any breaking news they need to cover. And why not get Costas and the whole crew used to coming on the air at 8am anyway.

I'll get to cleaning my pathetically small PM account very soon. Just not right away. In fact there's another poster here, Pacey, who is interested as well in this and we exchanged emails pertaining this. Anyway there are several missing events I'd like to reclaim and will mention them. I don't even mind the commercials. :)

Radio e Televisao Portugal returns to the Olympic TV biz. I expect both RTP1 and RTP2 will air them. Will a Portuguese sports TV channel air supplemental coverage? Will there be online footage? Is it going to have some emphasis on Brazillian, Angolan, and Mozambiquan athletes (and the rest of the Portuguese diaspora)?

I'm sure TRT will will air lots of wrestling, weightlifting, soccer, basketball, and (even though the Turks failed to qualify in this too with basketball--too bad) volleyball as well as the anchor sports of swimming, gymnastics, and track and field.

Expect an increase in the number of Olympic TV hours with each nation. I'll speak more on this very soon.

Thanks Mattygs for the TVNZ One promo! One of the better ones out there. Wish there was a brief footage of the Tall Ferns.

Thailand comes in with Bangkok Broadcasting TV Channel 7 and Modern Nine Media.

I too noticed some TV scheduling conflicts with NBC's coverage starting with the Opening Ceremony. But of course we know that's the apex for many viewers, so it's going to be on primetime here when the competition will actually be underway, surely a lot of it online and live with the issue of spoilers. Yeah, it'll be intersting how NBC handles this. We'll obviously get details on how NBC will deal with this as we approach the start. I checked again the not-complete Telemundo TV schedule, and there might be the possibility of a Spanish languagecasting of the Opening Ceremony if done live, but I doubt it.

Durban.. I tried PM'ing you as well, that 3 message limit is just really annoying. I'm the guy on the other end of the transaction with mattperiolat. As I told him, I have easy access to my whole collection and like that it is now finally serving some purpose other than sitting in a closet. Send me a reply/PM and let me know what Olympics video you have, maybe there's something we can trade as well.

Well, as the girl said as she took off her unmentionables... that lets me out. ;)

Just kidding, we're all one family, there's no reason to be possessive. And like I said, maybe the three of us can mutually cover Beijing for each other in case someone messes up.

As for the tape delay between Opening Ceremonies and the start of actual competition, correct me if I'm wrong, but did not the same thing happen in Athens? I remember having MSNBC taping rowing while watching (and taping!) NBC with Opening Ceremonies.

This will be the standard I think even in London.

Well, as the girl said as she took off her unmentionables... that lets me out. ;)

Just kidding, we're all one family, there's no reason to be possessive. And like I said, maybe the three of us can mutually cover Beijing for each other in case someone messes up.

As for the tape delay between Opening Ceremonies and the start of actual competition, correct me if I'm wrong, but did not the same thing happen in Athens? I remember having MSNBC taping rowing while watching (and taping!) NBC with Opening Ceremonies.

This will be the standard I think even in London.

I don't think that was the case in Athens. Since the time difference is 7 hours, when it hit Midnight in the US, that made it 7am in Athens, too early for any events to have started (ditto for London which is 5 hours from the East Coast of the US). Now if you're in Calfornia or somewhere out West, then it's a different story since MSNBC and CNBC don't have separate East and West coast feeds. So the coverage you were watching was live, but you saw your primetime show 3 hours later than on the East coast. The drawback with that for Beijing is that we won't see any live coverage of the next day's events until Midnight ET (Noon in Beijing) or even possibly 2am ET if they want to hold back stuff until after NBC does the late night show. The formula will work much better for London where live competition can start around 2am or 3am ET at the earliest (similar to Athens) and Midnight in London is 7pm in the US, so there can be live events almost right up until primetime. Of course, if any of you are like me (and clearly you are), we'll love playing this guessing game up until NBC makes the official announcement. Fun to speculate until then, as we will continue doing.

Yeah, being a West Coaster had it's advanatages. Getting full coverage of the Olympic Park Bombing live (my local news had a booth right under the stage, so they were on the air posthaste) and actually getting the news about Michelle Kwan withdrawing from Tornino LIVE while most everyone else on the Right Coast was in dream land.

Ah, those were the good old days.

Selfishly, I'm really hoping Chicago gets 2016 as that will make things loads easier for broadcasts and decent bedtimes. Rio would be the same though.

Anyway, really kind of surprised NBC doesn't really know yet what the plan is. You'd think by now!

I don't think that was the case in Athens. Since the time difference is 7 hours, when it hit Midnight in the US, that made it 7am in Athens, too early for any events to have started (ditto for London which is 5 hours from the East Coast of the US). Now if you're in Calfornia or somewhere out West, then it's a different story since MSNBC and CNBC don't have separate East and West coast feeds. So the coverage you were watching was live, but you saw your primetime show 3 hours later than on the East coast. The drawback with that for Beijing is that we won't see any live coverage of the next day's events until Midnight ET (Noon in Beijing) or even possibly 2am ET if they want to hold back stuff until after NBC does the late night show. The formula will work much better for London where live competition can start around 2am or 3am ET at the earliest (similar to Athens) and Midnight in London is 7pm in the US, so there can be live events almost right up until primetime. Of course, if any of you are like me (and clearly you are), we'll love playing this guessing game up until NBC makes the official announcement. Fun to speculate until then, as we will continue doing.