Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stevie

2011 Irb Rugby World Cup

Well Alex, it would appear the mention of it in the newspaper and being discussed on panel rugby shows such as Re-Union does suggest it being a discussable topic does it not?

Video footage is there to make your own mind up. Certainly not a done and dusted matter either which way you happen to lean.

True nothing has been reported , but would you really bother about such things if you had just won the Rugby World Cup?

ps: just starting to see a few articles coming out from Chris Rat... in regards to this esentially still being somewhat of a lucky disaster campaign from the All Blacks. I guess next time we will have to try better than an undefeated record whilst using our 4th string flyhalf.

I would really be interested to see what Murray McCully and co are thinking now in regards to missed opportunities for Auckland's 2018 Commonwealth Games bid. Kicking themselves maybe, a possible hosting win just before the election.

^^^

Yeah, I think you've got that right. Blown opportunity. If Auckland had said yes, the GC would have held back, and I reckon NZ would have been a shoe-in for 2018. And what a great final platform the RWC would have been to climax the bid with.

^^^

Yeah, I think you've got that right. Blown opportunity. If Auckland had said yes, the GC would have held back, and I reckon NZ would have been a shoe-in for 2018. And what a great final platform the RWC would have been to climax the bid with.

:angry: Oh yeah...Too late BUT remember at the time the Global and NZ economy was NOT in a great position, still you know that the Government are feeling smug about this...2026 is a long way away.

:unsure: But of course there is a Winter Olympics to think about...

:)

Well...The last Victory Parade is over, Wellington putting on the Best Show naturally. As the country lurches into yet another crisis (a leaking major gas line shutting down most of the NI) I thought I'd sum up my conclusions to the Rugby World Cup 2011 hosting, so here goes....

THE GOOD

* The Opening Ceremony - short and simple, yet breathtakingly spectacular (even the IOC was impressed).

* The Volunteers - where would we be without them.

* Pool Match enthusisim - The provincial centres going ALL OUT to welcome the minnows, the fun part of the cup!

* Well behaved tourists who accepted losses with dignity and victories with good grace.

* THE COLOURS OF THE WORLD AND THE HAPPY FACES. :)

* The Welcoming on of all the teams at the start of every match, the easy to sing national anthems with no over the top warbling.

* The Stadiums, well done to those provincial unions for dressing up your grounds (Invercargill, Nelson, New Plymouth, Napier, Whangarei).

* Palmerston North - I don't think Romania and Georgia knew what hit them!! Go the Manawatu rugby fans!!!(you're suppose to be the most boring city in NZ?)

* The minnows that really went all out to impress (USA, USA, USA!, gooo Japan!, Canada, Canada, get'em Georgia! et al)and a couple who have now barged into the second tier.

* The cart tippers, Ireland and Tonga! - Way to go! Four more years Australia, Four more years!

* New Zealand in general - what a year guy and gals, at least we got to have fun for six weeks of it.

* The All Blacks - Now it's sinking in, what an effort and a culmination of eight years of planning.

* France - you're our Nemisis! You share Alpha spot with us. You will get your revenge AND we will accept that. We now have a relationship that even Aus and SA can't touch - see you in four years time.

THE NOT SO GOOD

* Auckland totally underestimating its self on opening night - lessions learned AND work to be done - and will be done

* Christchurch - we'll never know and can only imagine what it would've felt like. :(

* No 'Round of Sixteen'.

* Albany - too embarrased to use your name on the halfway banner and goal post crash pads?

* Rotorua's 'International Stadium' - what a dump! Pretty much as it was in 1987!!! (even Invercargill's Rugby Park looked good!)

* The drag of time from Quarter Finals onwards.

* The tight turnarounds for the minor teams - but that's the way it should be.

* England - who do you think you are! Showing up in Black jerseys so you could offend just about everyone you made contact with On and Off the field, we even gave you a roof over your heads and that still wasn't ghood enough?...typical colonialisim! (Oh and Johnny Wilkenson, that stupid prep style to kick a goal is sooo eight years ago AND clearly dosen't work anymore!)

* Australia! What the heck happened! You were suppose to meet us in the Final...You were considered the dark favorites. Four more Years!

* Samoa - Just because you didn't play your best and you feel bad about it doesn't mean everyone else is racist towards you!

* Wales! - Kick the ball over the cross bar between the two really tall sticks, and you might just win!

* South Africa - were you here? didn't notice you...

* Quade bashing...yeah OK for a week, but for a month? He was used to focuss all our emotions about our WC history with Australia. Even I felt awfull when he suddenly pulled up and stalled in the Bronze final with an ACI injury (I've had one myself)and had to be helped off the park...Sometime NZ, we go too far. He will never forget the way we treated him - even though he probibly instigated it to a point.

* Price gouging pubs, bars, and accomodation providers - ha ha ha no sympathy when Kiwis took gilted visitors into their own homes instead!!

* IRB - morons! I mean c'mon, the wrong mouth guard? the wrong ball? A popular advance on the Haka that didn't offend anyone - even the ABs? Great was to make a quick buck and insure derision as always.

* Emarites Airways - the symbol of IRB decadance.

* AND FINALLY - NZ has to wait another 24 years to do it all again!

:D SEE YOU ALL IN 2035!!! :D

I think I'd probably agree with pretty much all of those you listed there.

From my point of view, I'd also put as a more trainspotting good, would be how New Zealand seems to have come out of it's sometimes naive way of hosting certain sporting event. Of course in the past they have been full of warm enthusiastic experiences, but this one seems to have given the small detailed touch of class moments and some real unique quirky selling points which were a real plus.

As I've mentioned before, the whole sports presentation of the matches, but event things right down to the whole look of the tournament which would hold its own on the international stage I think.

Loved our national anthem too, it was strong and powerful for a change.

And yes, how Rotorua constantly gets these big matches is beyond me, the *stadium* is pure trash and needs to be rectified.

The only thing that would have made this tournament more perfect would have been to have Christchurch in on the act, of course not possible, but still.

I ahvent been on gamesbids for a while. Been busy with the world cup and now the election campaign in New Zealand. I attended 11 of the games including 2 Quarter Finals, both semi-finals and the final. What an amazing tournament. New Zealand got the result we wanted with the victory. Even though it was only 1 point... A win is a win! I was hugely impressed with how all New Zeladners embraced the tournament with the flag flying. The organisation of the tournament was perfect!

Best of all kiwi rugby supporters found their voice and learnt how to cheer!

I had a great time to follow some of the matches during the RWC in New Zealand - the final was so great to watch (it was shown live on German Digital Pay TV)!!!

I want to go to England in 2015 and watch some of the matches!

I ahvent been on gamesbids for a while. Been busy with the world cup and now the election campaign in New Zealand. I attended 11 of the games including 2 Quarter Finals, both semi-finals and the final. What an amazing tournament. New Zealand got the result we wanted with the victory. Even though it was only 1 point... A win is a win! I was hugely impressed with how all New Zeladners embraced the tournament with the flag flying. The organisation of the tournament was perfect!

Best of all kiwi rugby supporters found their voice and learnt how to cheer!

:rolleyes: Glad you enjoyed yourself Micheal - now you have to WORK!!! Considering you've the most bellweather of seats to defend!

As for a legacy of this event...What I wish 'Our' generation and younger should set in the ground is the Acorn of a successful 2040 Olympic bid as NZ's next really big thing. A foward thinking, far looking, Think Tank needs to be created. This group should have NO 'babyboomer' representatives as they have had their turn, and IMO have failed us over and over again!...whaddya think?

<_< The aftermath of England's miserable World Cup performance sees manager Martin Johnson dumped today...A very kneejerk reaction, England may live to regret it leading up to 2015.

A sad and final conclusion to the 2011RWC today with the death of Michael James "Jock" Hobbs...

He had been fighting a battle with Leukeamia first diagnosed in 2008.

Jock was instumental in securing funding in 2003 for a bid attempt to host the (now successful 2011) event during one of the lowest times in NZ Rugby history. NZ had been dumped as a co-host to the 2003 event the year before.

He participated in the tournament as best he could but family members said it was a struggle.

Last week he slipped into a coma as family members gathered around...He was pronounced dead at 4:15pm today.

RIP.

New Zealand makes healthy profit from hosting 2011 Rugby World Cup

The New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU) has reported a profit of NZ$9.6 million (£5 million/$£7.9 million/€6 million) from hosting last year's World Cup.

The figure helped the NZRU post a NZ$13.4 million (£6.9 million/$11 million/€8.4 million) overall profit, and wiped out the previous year's losses of NZ$9.4 million (£4.9 million/$7.7 million/€5.9 million).

It confirmed a highly successful tournament, both on and off the field, for the Kiwis, whose All Blacks team ended years of near misses at the World Cup by lifting the coveted Webb Ellis trophy last October

http://www.insidethe...rugby-world-cup