Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stevie

2011 Irb Rugby World Cup

Tight game in North Harbour, Japan holding France back within a converted try so far...Actually its going off!!

France has beaten Japan 47-21 <_< But I think it's been a tight game until the last 10 minutes.

日本!!! :lol: :lol:

England win, that's what's important, but need to improve. Argentina looked like they wanted that more than us, but England's fitness told in the end.

Horrible kicking in that match from both teams.

Sounded pretty awful from what I was hearing but, as the Scots were saying after their game in Invercargill overnight, a win is a win. Romania were tremendous, by the way.

All the teams that were expected to win today have done so, but at cost.

The England v Argentina match a case in point.

At the moment we are still in Carnival mode as more matches are played out.

I'm just wondering if we really are going to see an upset...We have come so close tonight.

Tomorrow is '9/11' in NZ so the USA v Ireland match will be watched closely.

The top eight are saving themselves at least for the next two weeks anyway.

Being in the US in school and watching the games is difficult, but I have made time to watch all 5 matches so far. Here's my take:

New Zealand-Tonga -New Zealand started out strong, winning at the breakdown and being able to spin it wide. The three backs that really stood out to me that game for the All Blacks were Sonny Bill Williams, Richard Kahui, and Israel Dagg. Williams as usual making great offloads, Kahui scoring tries, and Israel Dagg showing his attacking flair from the fullback spot. Late in the first half and in the second half though Tonga was taking it to the Kiwis and was playing almost as every bit as physical as the All Blacks. Though there were a lot of good things for the All Blacks, they committed too many handling errors and conceded a lot of penalties. Sloppy, but still my favorites to win.

Scotland-Romania -Only got to saw part of the match but from what I saw Romania was absolutely impressive to me, which was a complete shocker while Scotland just did not look good. Tiberius Dimofte did his part by knocking in all his kicks at goal and kept Romania relatively close until Simon Danielli saved embarrassment. Chris Paterson's kicking was also forgettable but conditions weren't the best. This match was the one I saw the least of.

Fiji-Namibia -Awesome game to watch. Fiji started out so strong then Namibia picked up their game and started to give the Flying Fijians a run for their money. Fijian winger Vereniki Goneva is the first Fijian to bag more than 2 tries in a WC match. The two players for Namibia that stood out were captain looseforward Jacques Berger and fly-half Theuns Kotze. Kotze's boot kept Namibia close in the first half landing 2 penalties and 3 drop goals. Namibia in the second half though got understandably desperate and tried to run from anywhere and everywhere which is not their usual MO. This led to many mistakes and the team fatigued quickly. At times it looked as if the teams were playing their opponents gameplan as Fiji at one point were on the defensive and were just content with kicking the ball away or keeping around the fringe. Impressive performance from Namibia, inconsistent performance from the Fijians.

France-Japan -France came out the gates hot taking the game right to Japan and getting the first points. Japan's flyhalf and man of the match James Arlidge missed an easy penalty from almost straight shot at the posts when the deficit was 14. But Arlidge was phenomenal in organizing the back-line attack. Amazing second half though Japan proved everyone wrong in that they weren't physical. Played solid defense for most of the game (with the exception of the last 10 or so minutes where France scored 3 tries). Japan's brand of running rugby is a direct correlation to coach John Kirwan's philosophies and Japan's strengths. France just looked awful for most of the second half. Shota Horie, though not scoring any points, in my opinion was the best Japanese player that game. His physicality in the loose while securing ball in scrums and running the ball was just a sight to see. He even made a solid tactical kick in the second half to pin the French back in their own 22. Japan has been a team on the rise, and this game is just the start of possibly something great.

Argentina-England -Argentina kept to their plan of keeping possession away from England, trying to force England into committing penalties, and playing solid defense. They were pretty successful, allowing only 1 try and getting plenty of kicks at goal, but they just couldn't convert. One may say Argentina should have won because they missed 6 kicks at goal. But Jonny Wilkinson also had trouble last night, missing 5 shots at goal. I don't know why Conteponi was switched out from penalties after he hit the first one. Argentina did give away a lot of penalties but made 95% of their tackles. England just stayed composed all game and took advantage of what was given to them. With three teams fighting for two quarterfinal spots, England no doubt put themselves in the driver seat with this win.

Australia 32: Italy 6

Well, a bit too tight for comfort in the first half, but the second was more like what we wanted to get us started off with. First blood to Oz!

Go Wallabies!

Help!

Does Ireland have a 'National Anthem'?

I know that Ireland never plays anyone elses at events like this.

However at the anthem playing momentthey announced the 'Ireland team anthem'.

Help!

Does Ireland have a 'National Anthem'?

I know that Ireland never plays anyone elses at events like this.

However at the anthem playing momentthey announced the 'Ireland team anthem'.

Interesting. From Wikipedia:

The Irish rugby union team is one of a few national sporting teams on the island that draws widespread support in both Northern Ireland and the Republic, and from both nationalist and unionist communities. As Ireland represents players from different sovereign territories, there has been controversy over the flags and anthems. When Irish internationals were played alternately in Belfast and Dublin, the British national anthem "God Save the Queen" was played for matches in Belfast and the national anthem of the Republic of Ireland "Amhrán na bhFiann" was played for matches in Dublin. No anthem was played at away games.

Since April 1995, a specially composed anthem, "Ireland's Call" has been used by the Irish team in away games.[14] This has prompted some players and supporters from the Republic to complain that "Amhrán na bhFiann" should be played.[15] At games played in Dublin "Ireland's Call" is always used alongside "Amhrán na bhFiann".[16] This use of "Amhrán na bhFiann" has caused similar complaints from players and supporters from Northern Ireland.[citation needed] With Ireland's friendly game against Italy in the run up to the 2007 Rugby World Cup scheduled to be held in Belfast, there were calls for "God Save the Queen" to be used alongside "Ireland's Call" but this was turned down by the IRFU[17] with the explanation given that it was not a 'home' match because the team would be playing "outside Ireland".[18]

Similarly, the Irish tricolour, the official flag of the Republic of Ireland, is flown only when playing in the Republic. A flag with symbols representing the four provinces of Ireland is flown alongside the Irish tricolour in Dublin, and is used exclusively when playing elsewhere.[citation needed] At some matches, the standard of the island's rugby union governing body, the Irish Rugby Football Union, is displayed on the field during pre-match ceremonies.

Wikipedia

Thanks Rols. :)

They always used to play the national anthem of the Republic of Ireland and Ireland's Call before internationals at Lansdowne Road. I'm not aware that has changed.

Why are Nicholas or Alridge allowed to play for Japan?

found an article that can explain it:

With the Rugby World Cup kicking off in New Zealand on Sept. 9, many foreign members of the Japanese national team have obtained Japanese nationality ahead of the tournament, a move which can sometimes complicate things back in their native countries.

Former New Zealanders Ryan Nicholas and Shaun Webb, as well as former Tonga national Sione Vatuvei, obtained Japanese citizenship in July. The three players come from different nations but share the same values. They have all said they want to play at the Rugby World Cup as Japanese nationals.

Unlike in soccer, international rugby allows players to represent the nations in which they play their club rugby. For this reason, rugby players can represent a country after living in the target nation for more than three years, even without obtaining nationality. Nicholas, Webb and Vatuvei decided to change their citizenship anyway.

Of course, there are advantages to foreign players switching to Japanese nationality. As contract employees with the nation's top league teams hired specifically to play rugby, they can participate in more games once they are released from the restrictions placed on foreign players.

But there are disadvantages, too. Some players claim they have lost the right to inherit their parent's property and other assets in their native countries.

Asahi

They always used to play the national anthem of the Republic of Ireland and Ireland's Call before internationals at Lansdowne Road. I'm not aware that has changed.

I can remember Ireland not playing anyone elses national anthem and Australia getting them back years ago by playing Advance Australia and then kicking off leaving the Irish team confounded waiting in line for their anthem.

But there are disadvantages, too. Some players claim they have lost the right to inherit their parent's property and other assets in their native countries.

I can't believe that - I doubt that e.g. New Zealand can prevent that parents give their property to their children, who got the japanese nationality...

YEAH - we won!!! Go BOKKE!!!

With thanks for one dodgy penalty decision according to our cousins from across the Severn, I hear.

Australia 32: Italy 6

Well, a bit too tight for comfort in the first half, but the second was more like what we wanted to get us started off with. First blood to Oz!

Go Wallabies!

Ouch. I have no idea what 32-6 means in rugby, but if it's anything like American football, that's pretty bad.

Ouch. I have no idea what 32-6 means in rugby, but if it's anything like American football, that's pretty bad.

They're not a bad team. Just their misfortune to hit the Wallabies first up. And even then, they sure did a good job of shutting Oz down in the first half. Ireland should be a good test for them of the remainder pool games now (Italy should account for the rest easily enough). It'll be either them or the Irish who make it through after Oz to the knock-out stages.

Ouch! for Wales, though. Unlucky for them.

Today I saw something rugby related in Germany - which is quite unusual!!!

I stood at the bus stop and looked around - waiting for the bus.

Suddenly I saw a flagpole with a huge flag - I am addicted to flags and therewith I had no problem to identify the flag - I suppose most of the people in Germany dont't know that flag, since it is from a country in Oceania - it was from West Samoa!!!

I was drunk after 300 Fosters to celebrate the EPIC win of Australia over Italy!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Got ok only today to come here and joke the Italians around! Go fix the Colosseum, Italians!!!

In Rugby Australia is the one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it was soccer, it would be a major kickass victory, since it's Rugby I have no idea! Anyway, big score over the pizzaiolos!!!

AUSTRALIA! AUSTRALIA! OY OY OY!!!

Let's honour the Brazilian colours! (What? Did I said that loud?) :lol:

I know, I know, green-yellow are the colours of Australian national flower...

Tonga is sitting 11 of their starters tonight against Canada. Hopefully Canada can take full advantage.

I was drunk after 300 Fosters to celebrate the EPIC win of Australia over Italy!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Got ok only today to come here and joke the Italians around! Go fix the Colosseum, Italians!!!

In Rugby Australia is the one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it was soccer, it would be a major kickass victory, since it's Rugby I have no idea!

Italy are the weakest of the big European nations. A score like that for Australia would be pretty much expected.

Might be too early to draw these conclusions firmly, but the opening matches certainly suggest the overall standard of world rugby has improved markedly. Encouraging.

Agree!

The so called second tier teams are giving it their all and the 3rd tier 'minnows have shown the most improvement...Even from four years ago.

It will be great to see the map of Rugby in 2019 even after the Olympics, and watch the likes of USA topple a premium side. :rolleyes:

Might be too early to draw these conclusions firmly, but the opening matches certainly suggest the overall standard of world rugby has improved markedly. Encouraging.

Yeah, no enormous blowouts ... yet. And some great close matches - Argentina-England, South Africa-Wales. Hope it keeps up. And (though not wanting to jinx anything), wonder when we'll see the first upset - we've had some close calls already.

Looking forward to getting back to some matches today. Tonga-Canada will be the one I'll be following most closely. Samoa-Namibia and Scotland-Georgia should be sure wins for the bigger Rugby powers in those match-ups.

My picks for today:

Samoa

Canada

Scotland

I hope you are right. The coverage of this world cup is unprecedanted for Canada. I have followed two previous tournaments and had to use the BBC and ABC to get articles and information, now its splashed everywhere.