2011 Irb Rugby World Cup

stevie

Rugby World Cup 2011 has also just revealed a series of art designs by Kiwi artist Dick Frizzell , which will feature on merchandise.

Including this one which I love and to be honest, I think it would look awesome used as a Rugby World Cup Urban landmark - similar to the rwc logo on the Sydney Harbour Bridge or the Tower in Paris.

For those who can't pick it, it's the rugby world cup logo - turned into a Maori tiki.

tiki%20logo.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This month i should find out whether i have been successful in becoming a volunteer for RWC 2011, i have my fingers crossed

Good luck and hope if it happens the experience is a bottler :)

By the way any word on how the commitment to volunteering may impact upon attendance at the RWC games? And what role(s) are you looking at?

Im only volunteering for Wellington, so i guess if i wanted to go to any other games i could, I was put down for marshalling at the stadium, city information etc, plus i have first aid skills. To be apart of it would just be awesome though

Im only volunteering for Wellington, so i guess if i wanted to go to any other games i could, I was put down for marshalling at the stadium, city information etc, plus i have first aid skills. To be apart of it would just be awesome though

Cool...as I said enjoy and crossing fingers legs and eyes for ya :P

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the first time Russia has played in a RWC? I also notice that Argentina qualified for Group B ahead of England. That must also be the first time England hasn't been the "top" nation in their group (though I do remember them playing South Africa in the group stages of 2003).

Is this the first time Russia has played in a RWC? I also notice that Argentina qualified for Group B ahead of England. That must also be the first time England hasn't been the "top" nation in their group (though I do remember them playing South Africa in the group stages of 2003).

Yep, first time that Russia has made the grade. And looking forward to their appearance (back in the dim dark days of amateur RU the USSR had a semi-decent side that was almost of a standard to Rumania and Japan). The Soviets/Russians have had a fairly ambiguous and unsuccessful approach to the game they play in heaven thanks to the old Communist antipathy to the sport followed by some stuff ups involving South Africans playing for the Russian teamn illegally.

Hopefully (for world rugby and the IRB) the likes of Russia (as well as Italy, Japan, USA and Argentina) can continue to develop; imagine an IRB scenario when they could be looking at sending the RWC to Russia and get all those Putin-Gazprom rubles rolling into the IRB coffers. Throw in China and the IRB would be wetting their knickers in excitement.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Key will be praying the All-Blacks hold aloft the Web Ellis Trophy come poll time ...

New Zealand Leader Sets Election After World Cup

WELLINGTON—New Zealand's Prime Minister John Key on Wednesday called a general election for Nov. 26, seeking to avoid letting the outcome of the rugby World Cup get in the way of politics in a country where the game is a national obsession.

"It's important to remember how big the rugby World Cup will be for New Zealand this year," Mr. Key told reporters as he announced the date of the vote, when he hopes to secure a second term in office. "New Zealand is hosting the largest event it ever has, and we need to make sure New Zealanders prosper out of it and I don't think there is a place for politics in that."

But by holding the election after the tournament, which New Zealand hosts in September, Mr. Key is gambling on the success of the country's famed All Blacks national team boosting his popular support. In 1987—when New Zealand last won the event—the Labour government of David Lange, unpopular and lagging in the polls, gained re-election. In 1999, following New Zealand's defeat in the semi-final of the tournament, the National government led by Jenny Shipley lost power.

Wall St Journal

Uniforms revealed today at the North Shore Rugby team, featuring the Prime Minister modelling them off. They consist of a polo, hat, pants, and a rugby jersey. The design is of the look and feel of the tournament, the mangopare/koru hammerhead design.

4614916.jpg

4614915.jpg

The NBR did mention that it was shades of the ep of Corrie street where Norris models his Manchester 2002 uniform for everyone, haha. But yeah, its not too bad. I really like the design that they have adopted for NZ2011, they've made the best of the pretty limited artistic license that the IRB allows for its RWC branding.

Bit more Rugby World Cup ceremonies news.

It seems to be confirmed that there are no New Zealand companies in the running to be the ceremonies producer.

Joe Bleakley (who came up with the concept of the Auckland 1990 Com Games ceremonies) has confirmed that his proposal was rejected. Tanemahuta Grey, Mike Mizrahi of Inside out Productions, and Logan Brewers (the producer of the Auckland 1990 ceremonies) have also confirmed that their proposals were rejected.

There is only one bidder who has confirmed they are still in the running - David Atkins Enterprises.

Rugby World Cup 2011 has said they have identified their preferred producer and are now finalising the process,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any word on how the recent earthquake will affect the World Cup?

I posted this on the quake thread the other day. Haven't heard much since, though I think I did read AMI Stadium had sustained damage. I think the focus is still on the immediate rescue and recovery operations before the organisers start thinking further ahead:

Christchurch quake: World Cup games in doubt

Five World Cup games and two quarterfinals scheduled for Christchurch are in jeopardy after yesterday's big quake.

The seven matches are due to be played at AMI Stadium in September and early October, but officials may have to reallocate them because of the damage to hotels, restaurants, roads and other infrastructure throughout the Christchurch area.

The Wallabies and their Christchurch-born coach, Robbie Deans, are due to be based in the city where they will play pool games against Italy and Russia.

England and Argentina are both scheduled to play two games at the stadium.

Christchurch is also due to host two quarterfinals on the weekend of October 8, with the All Blacks set to play on the Sunday if they finish top of their pool against Tonga, Japan, Canada and France.

Cup organisers said yesterday that it was too soon to consider the implications for the tournament.

"It is way too early to be thinking about what this means for the World Cup," said Mike Jaspers, communications manager for the event.

"We are just thinking about friends, relatives and all the people who have been affected by this."

Hospitality Association of New Zealand chief executive Bruce Robertson said it was far too early for speculation less than 24 hours after the quake struck. "It is not even on anyone's horizon yet."

The New Zealand Rugby Union had difficulty contacting officials at the Canterbury Rugby Union or Crusaders staff and said they had no reports of any problems with the city's rugby stadium.

The rejuvenated AMI stadium opened in January last year. It was playing host to the US-NZ 2011 Partnership Forum when the quake struck. All delegates were reported safe.

A US group of 43 government, business and community leaders was attending the forum, which began on Monday and was due to end last night.

A Rugby World Cup fan zone has been planned for Cathedral Square.

* A transtasman netball league match between the Canterbury Tactix and Northern Mystics that was scheduled to be played at Christchurch on Sunday has been postponed.

League organisers and Netball New Zealand will now work through arrangements to reschedule the game for a later date.

NZ Herald

It seems that the stadium by and large came away in a structural sense with little damage, where the problem is , is heavy liquifaction of the pitch (which is the problem everywhere in Crikers at the moment), damage to fittings of the stadium, aswell as the surrounding streets.

To be honest, if it is just a question of stadium, then they should be fine.

I'd say the bit question mark will be over accommodation, we really need to wait to get a stocktake of what is left when recovery does begin - we obviously will be without the Grand Chancelor.

There is a overwhelming want for the games to stay in Christchurch, from both rugby new zealand 2011 and the PM - but we'll just have to wait and see. Again, other priorities at the moment.

It has been confirmed though that all matches will remain in New Zealand.

It seems that the stadium by and large came away in a structural sense with little damage, where the problem is , is heavy liquifaction of the pitch (which is the problem everywhere in Crikers at the moment), damage to fittings of the stadium, aswell as the surrounding streets.

To be honest, if it is just a question of stadium, then they should be fine.

I'd say the bit question mark will be over accommodation, we really need to wait to get a stocktake of what is left when recovery does begin - we obviously will be without the Grand Chancelor.

There is a overwhelming want for the games to stay in Christchurch, from both rugby new zealand 2011 and the PM - but we'll just have to wait and see. Again, other priorities at the moment.

It has been confirmed though that all matches will remain in New Zealand.

Good point. Is the notion of chartering cruise liners a possibility?

It will surely be a challenge, but I'm confident you Kiwis will move heaven and earth to ensure the matches in Christchurch go on. For the morale of the city and the nation, it's important.

Kia Ora!

Yeah, Im pretty sure that cruise ships were part of the Canterbury world cup accom plans anyway, so I guess the possibility is that they could be ramped up. The ironic thing is Lyttelton is where the epicenter of the quake was located.

Cruise ships were comming anyway, it really depends on how Lyttleton can cope. The port facilities got away with minor damage but the town is destroyed.

Losing the Grand Chancellor is a setback but nothing compared to the loss of most of the CBD. I'd expect it would be a fly in - fly out operation to other main centres on game days that would be the plan now.

The main weekly TV sport show in France (Stade 2) announced this sunday evening, that the Games in Christchurch would probably dispatched on the other stadiums !

Any confirmation in NZ ?

Archived