2011 Irb Rugby World Cup

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...Oh yeah, some Australian sports writers are wondering why Kiwis seem to support any team that is playing the Wallabies (and the sheer animosity towards Quade Cooper)...It's simple, Kiwis hold sports grudges forever...just ask Australia Cricket. In this case, it's George Greegan's 2003 Semi-final taunts that riles us up.

OMG that has really p1ssed me off since I've been back in the country.

Due to the supposed actions of a few dooshbags, the Aussie media has now plastered the whole country with a *they hate us* tag and now we have all sorts of people coming out over there disecing the supposed issue on why people are being nasty to the Aussies.

First of all, the extreme action is only a couple of people who every country has, countless stories have come from the other side of the ditch aswell, I know of people who have been urinated on by Aussie cricket fans at the MCG.

Then we hear a few Aussie supporters whinging that they were called pooftas by the light hearted sectors of the crowd, hullo, Kiwis have had to put up with the sheepfuka jabs for donkeys - seems to me some can't handle it in the other direction.

At the end of the day, 99 percent of people see that it for the most part is good natured rivaly , a few in the Australian media seems to have taken it a step too far. Not sure if it's driven by the whole media v rugby world cup limited thing which has soured the tournament for many news organisations in Australia.

It just seems to be getting silly, now the concept of Kiwis dressing up and supporting different teams is seen as being a new low in hatred towards Australia

I dont think alot of people realise how taken to this tournament the public has become, it really has taken on that carnival atmosphere.

The notion that Kiwis hate Australia is just bafoonery. I remember back to the 2000 Americas Cup in Auckland when Australia sent a rather raw young and underfunded team - Young Australia with James Spithall at the healm. They had no money and the Auckland public really did make them their darlings. They were given free bikes by businesses, brought cakes and bag fulls of groceries every day by business and families alike.

That's the kind of stuff that shows the real feeling in the relationship.

Just another story which is ditracting from the event, I sit it along side the ongoing bs that is the Mike and Zara affair.

Loving seeing a full Eden Park for the Fiji/Samoa match, really does show why the World Cup in NZ is a good thing. The carnival atmosphere, even at the rather tense All Blacks France encounter was fantastic- at times ya had to blink and remember you weren't at the Wellington 7s.

Also quite impressed at the sports presentations. Liking the fanfare music/pukaea/anthems at the start of each match.

<_< Gee Mattygs...Better late than never, nice of you to show up. You've missed some really good games! :rolleyes:

As for the Aussies thinking they're being picked on...Stiff S##t. They do it to us all the time.

...Oh and Matty, since Tauranga is home, why was Baypark not chosen as a WC venue? They've never really explained that one. (have to admit Rotorua's stadium is the grottiest looking of all host grounds)

haha, true that, I was in New York last week, surprisingly hard to get the rugby on tv. Arrived back home Thursday, so been in rugby overload. try make the most of it until it's back to work I go.

To be honest Im not sure why Baypark wasn't given the go, agreed about Rotorua International Stadium. Baypark is a good enough arena, though Im really not down with the dirt track, and it does literally look like Bob Clarkson built the thing by hand with hammer and nails. Still, they've got a pretty good sports and events facility there now with the indoor arena too.

There were brief discussions when Crikers was ruled out, but ultimately it was decided only existing venues would be considered.

I know a few teams have used the Mt as a base for the past few weeks, alot was promised in terms of benefits for the city - but talking to my boss, they haven't seen any of it and it seems like all the other bars and cafes in the town have been the same.

Oh, and how good was it to see Jock and Richie last night.

5679474.jpg

:( I hope Jock Hobbs makes it through to next month...He really is that sick.

Yeah I've heard non-hosting towns missing out on 'residual' dollars, even with based teams as 'live in hosts'. There IS the debate out there that we had far too many hosting cities but since the whole country is hosting...

As for presentation of the venues...even the smallest, Invercargill, looked a million bucks compared to Rotorua's so called International Stadium, which incidentally looks like it did when it was done up for the 1987 WC and hosted the infamous Bronze final.

Yeah, I was quite shocked to see how bad he had got.

So instrumental in getting us this World Cup, a great rugby man.

:( And now rugby legend Jonah Lomu has been rushed to hospital with serious complications involving his kidney...Watch this space.

Scotland vs. Argentina live on German Digital Sports TV

I just wonder about the rules what is allowed and not allowed during a scrum - when does the referree to stop and repeat the scrum?

ohh my god there are some very hot Scottish players... :D

I never saw that a match goes on when one injured players is treated on the field...

... that will become tough for Scotland - I htink Argentina is playeing very good - but now SCOTLAND!!!

That "No 2" from Argentina - like a bulldozer...

Is there a statistic how many players were injured during a match and that injury was so hard, that the couldn't play rugby at all anymore?

Wow that match is really entertaining - of course I am not really used to watch rugby - but that match is really fun to watch

@scotguy - who is No. 2 or No. 9 from the Scots?

The only scenario in which England would go out is if both Argentina and Scotland win next week with bonus points and we don't get a losing bonus point. Apparently there was some controversy about the Argentinian try.

:( And now rugby legend Jonah Lomu has been rushed to hospital with serious complications involving his kidney...Watch this space.

Sad to hear that this morning. Wish the great man well.

So you should be there in 2015 then.

Just realised (or read, rather) - last time Japan and Canada met in the WC they drew as well (12-all). Jeez, starting a tradition, eh?

though the flows of the game were different. in 2007 Canada should have won, this time Japan should have won.

Archived