2011 Irb Rugby World Cup

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only if they get past the Springboks first in the quarter-final.

Somehow rather I don't think they will on the form they are playing now...

But saying that, NEVER write the Wallabies off untill the final whistle has been blown! You'd be a fool to count them out of this tournament NOW.

Again, despite some disparities in the final scores, a pretty good showing by the "minnows" this week. In nearly every match, it was pretty tight up to half time. The difference seems mainly to have been match fitness to get the traditional powers over the top at the end (all except the Wallabies, who must have been starting to believe their own glowing press coverage from back home).

Again, despite some disparities in the final scores, a pretty good showing by the "minnows" this week. In nearly every match, it was pretty tight up to half time. The difference seems mainly to have been match fitness to get the traditional powers over the top at the end (all except the Wallabies, who must have been starting to believe their own glowing press coverage from back home).

But Ireland are hardly minnows.

True. But we were still expected to win.

I'm still just sore - all my fevered football fantasies came crashing down in ruins this weekend.

<_< It's allright Rol-ando, you've still got the Pumas and the Swans!

:angry: A result of the Aus v Ire match is that first tier teams are now working out if it's worth throwing a game to position a better Quarter Final placing.

France and South Africa are contemplating throwing a game and France has openly stated it will make no real effort on Saturday to defend it's winning streak at World Cups with New Zealand.

This is taking the limelight off the 'carnival' half of the World Cup, which has been magnificent... :)

...Oh yeah, some Australian sports writers are wondering why Kiwis seem to support any team that is playing the Wallabies (and the sheer animosity towards Quade Cooper)...It's simple, Kiwis hold sports grudges forever...just ask Australia Cricket. In this case, it's George Greegan's 2003 Semi-final taunts that riles us up.

I do wonder if we are at risk of taking this whole "throwing games" claim a little bit far. What Ireland did in beating Australia is no different to Argentina ripping the form book up against France on opening night four years ago. It seems to me that it is only because Australia's defeat means that, as things stand, the chances of an all southern hemisphere final are very slim that this has become such a big talking point.

Some interesting comments from the Scotland team doctor James Robson, voicing concern over the short turnround period many teams, including Scotland, have had between games.

JAMES ROBSON UNHAPPY AT SCHEDULE

This is a guy who has been around international rugby for many, many years (I know he was on the successful Lions tour of South Africa in 1997), so the powers that be should certainly be listening. Ultimately, though, it boils down to an issue with the structure of the tournament having four pools of five. I wonder if the time hasn't come to either go to 24 teams in the finals.

Either that or reduce the main tournament to 16 nations and have a second-tier tournament run alongside the main event. Any thoughts?

Go Australia!!! I want to drink more Forsters, eat more blooming onions!!!

Well, I can do it if Argentina loses again!!! :lol: :lol: Nothing personal, Rolando!

You don't want Fosters - the British owvn it now! And onions? Vegemite would be more fitting ...

I recommend a bottle of Coopers and a spoonful of Vegemite for every point scored. That's 67 tonight.

Cheers, Danny!

Yet New Zealand have 7 days between their games

All the major teams have good gaps between their games with the exception of South Africa which had 4 days between Fiji and Namibia.

I think it should be just 5 groups of 4 and the 3 best 2nd place finishers go into the quarterfinals.

Preview: New Zealand vs France

September 24: Eden Park, Auckland

All Blacks:

15 Israel Dagg, 14 Cory Jane, 13 Conrad Smith, 12 Ma'a Nonu, 11 Richard Kahui, 10 Daniel Carter, 9 Piri Weepu, 8 Adam Thomson, 7 Richie McCaw ©, 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Sam Whitelock, 4 Brad Thorn, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Keven Mealamu, 1 Tony Woodcock.

Replacements: 16 Andrew Hore, 17 Ben Franks, 18 Ali Williams, 19 Anthony Boric, 20 Andy Ellis, 21 Colin Slade, 22 Sonny Bill Williams.

Les Blues:

15 Damien Traille, 14 Vincent Clerc, 13 Aurélien Rougerie, 12 Maxime Mermoz, 11 Maxime Médard, 10 Morgan Parra, 9 Dimitri Yachvili, 8 Louis Picamoles, 7 Julien Bonnaire, 6 Thierry Dusautoir ©, 5 Pascale Papé, 4 Lionel Nallet, 3 Luc Ducalcon, 2 Dimitri Szarzewski, 1 Jean-Baptiste Poux.

Replacements: 16 William Servat, 17 Fabien Barcella, 18 Julien Pierre, 19 Imanol Harinordoquy, 20 Francois Trinh-Duc, 21 Fabrice Estebanez, 22 Cédric Heymans.

Referee: Alain Rolland (Ireland)

Reasonable enough solution, but I think the big advantage of going to 24 teams is that you can then have a round of 16 and make a lot more of the pool matches meaningful.

:(

They thought of this five years ago but agreed that it would be a strain on NZ resources...At the time.

In hinsight, a good idea...It would be difficult to pull off without Christchurch any way.

I wouldn't be surprised if England RWC15 actually adds the Round of Sixteen in' I like the idea very much.

Archived