2011 Irb Rugby World Cup

Of course Rols, you would rather it be Tokyo...nah not letting that one go. :P

Doesn't bother me. Tokyo will get it - eight years late, but at least the IRB saw sense finally. I'll still stand by the fact that Japan should have won the nod for this one, but actually, in hindsight, maybe South Africa would have been the better option this year - they're the only ones who haven't had to contend with post-quake problems this year.

I'm quite happy now to enjoy the tournament across our ditch - it's gonna make it all the more absorbing to see if the All Blacks can conquer their demons, or whether the pressure of performing at home proves too much. As far as how you Kiwis judge the event to be a success or not, it will rest so much on the backs of the ABs.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have no idea how much pressure is on the ABs!

The media is already predicting a post apocalyptic rugby era if NZ fails...Dejection and realisation, and financial ruin for the game in NZ.

Tonga fans have outdone all other fan support so far with an impressive welcome at Auckland Airport.

They are the most vocal of all with at least 2000 showing up at the arrivals area.

Tonga has the potential to cause a major upset in the dreaded Pool A.

[quote name='Alexjc88' timestamp='1314556715' post='316358'

All teams will receive a traditional Maori welcome with the exception of Team USA, after they offened Local Maori elders when team management refused a Waka voyage.

Team USA has apologised for offending the locals and have taken a ride down the Whanganui River on a Waka.

USA officials said it was all a misunderstanding and the team was thrilled to participate.

Meanwhile, Australia arrived today...But did they have to bring Their prime minister with them?

She may not have her job when she gets back.

The atmosphere is definately building. Here in ellington teh city has the official banners up and loads of places have flags and banners up.

The city is visibly busier and more alive Walking down the street today i noticed the official Welsh team coach parked outside some appartments.

On Thursday i am going to the World of Wearable Arts show, then i am planning to enjoy the atmosphere and events being staged in the capital

Yeah, have to admit a buzz has started to gather in Hamilton with flags and bunting appearing...Also Waikato Stadium is nearly all primped and preened for its games, including the anticipated Wales v Samoa!

Apparantly the tower will be lit green and blue throughout the tournament, honouring the colours of rugby world cup.

During All Blacks matches however, it will be reverting to the All Black theme.

When it comes time for the finals phases (quarter finals on I think) the top half of the tower will change colour depending on who is winning the match, when the lead changes, the lights will change.

Pretty cool I reckon.

No doubt the colours of the winning team will light it up come finals night.

:unsure: Well here we are on the last day Before Rugby World Cup 2011.

I wonder what NZ will host next? (Apart from Cricket WC with Aus in '15 )

Won't be a CWGs, thank goodness...Prehaps an IAAF World Track& Field Champs? Or the FIFA Womans World Cup?...Watch this space I suppose.

The Skytower looks awfull! Should've had a silver fern projected onto the tower.

Wow it feels like unreal! Last time it felt like this was way back in January 24th 1990 the night before the Auckland CWGs...

For Mattygs, Stevie and Micheal...This is your CWGs moment.

:rolleyes: Here we go guys!

Haha, I guess there are only so many ways you can black out a building, heh.

I was too young to remember too many details about the 1990 Com Games (though my hidden shame is that as a 6 year old I was seen reproducing the erupting volcano sequence using a picnic rug and my swingball set, I sh1t you not).

Opening Ceremony sounds good, the IRB were very pleased and apparantly it's quite an ambitious production.

Just checked in to our apartment in Paris and I have located the RWC broadcast, Success.

Hope everyone back in NZ enjoys the opening day.

Kiwi influence in Rugby World Cup teams

WELLINGTON, New Zealand —

More than 40 New Zealanders will play for national teams other than the All Blacks at the Rugby World Cup, highlighting the fact that rugby has become a sport without borders since it became professional.

Apart from the 30 All Blacks who carry New Zealand’s hopes of a second World Cup victory 24 years since their first, ex-pat Kiwi players feature in nine of the 20 competing teams. In addition, four teams other the All Blacks have New Zealand-born head coaches, even its fiercest rival, Australia.

Rugby’s cosmopolitan nature is also underscored by the selection of players such as Samoa-born Manu Tuilagi for England, Tonga-born Toby Faletau for Wales or Fiji-born Radike Samo for Australia.

The lines of national allegiance blur most notably around the Pacific Islands which furnish both a large number of players to other teams—notably New Zealand and Australia—but at the same time include many players born in New Zealand.

Samoa’s 30-man World Cup squad includes 17 New Zealand-born players, among them Paul Williams—the son of former All Blacks winger Bryan Williams, who is also the current chairman of the New Zealand Rugby Union—and James So’oialo, the younger brother of former All Blacks No. 8 Rodney So’oialo.

The Fiji team is captained by New Zealand-born prop Deacon Manu, who has both Maori and Fiji parentage, and includes flyhalf Nicky Little, playing at his fourth World Cup, who was born in the North Island town of Tokoroa, as was Australian flyhalf Quade Cooper and Ireland fullback Isaac Boss.

Fiji winger Michael Tagicakibau was born in Auckland as was his brother Sailosi, who plays for Samoa. The Samoan team includes among its New Zealand-born contingent scrumhalves Kahn Fotual’i and Junior Poluleuligaga, centers Johnny Leota and Tasesa Lavea and locks Filipo Levi, Daniel Leo and Kane Thompson.

Tonga has Tukulua Lokotui, Kurt Morath, Ephraim Taukafa, Thomas Palu, Andrew Ma’ilei, William Helu and Siale Piutau who are all New Zealand-born and Joseph Tuineau who was born in Fiji.

New Zealanders Ryan Nicholas, James Arlidge, Luke Thompson, Justin Ives and Murray Williams have been named along with Tonga-born Sione Vatuvei and Samoa-born Alisi Tupuailei among 10 imports in the Japan squad.

England’s squad includes New Zealand-born wing Shontayne Hapi, who played rugby league for the Auckland-based New Zealand Warriors before switching to rugby union, as well as Tuilaga, whose brothers have played for Samoa.

New Zealand furnishes the head coaches of Japan (John Kirwan), Wales (Warren Gatland), Canada (Kieran Crowley) and Australia (Robbie Deans), all of whom are former All Blacks. At the same time, many teams have Kiwi assistant coaches, among them Steve McDowell, a technical adviser to Romania, who was a member of the New Zealand team which won the first World Cup in 1987.

Japan Today

Archived