2011 Irb Rugby World Cup

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whooaaaa.

Well, Im pretty excited for September. hahaha.

Ohhh, Im a bar manager too, working in the hospo industry, but there ya go.

mattygs, you better be getting paid above $20 an hour!

haha, not quite. But in saying that, the pay rate of hospo workers in New Zealand has been one that has been a struggle for years, well before the rugby world cup was coming to our shores.

I've managed to crawl my way up the pay scale slooowly.

:( Feel for you...annoying when Gov't wants this industry to ramp up it's game, yet unwilling to lift wage rates. It's a sh#tty hard slog industry to climb, well done to you for getting to were you are without moving to Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

:( Sad news for Christchurch and Canterbury, AMI Stadium assessment...It looks like it's going to be a write-off. :(

There is sooo much history in this ground AKA Lancaster Park. The Government has withdrawn it's $4million repair fund and AMI will not re-insure the ground although it is insured for $110million if it is declared a write-off now.

Yeah, I just read something to that affect. Apprantly they are awaiting a report which will determine if the two main stands can be salvaged.

Just can't really imagine a stadium like AMI not being there. Obviously we have had grand old (and decripid) stadiums like Athletic Park and Carisbook being bowled over, but AMI was one that actually looked pretty good (especially considering it was also a mish mash of stands around a patch of grass).

If it is fully made a lost cause, what then for Christchurch stadia? They *HAVE* to build again of the same size. Granted, it doesnt seem a priority in the context of the Chrristchurch building effort, but it will have to happen.

Fingers crossed for AMI.

:huh: Jeez Mattygs, if they do that...They'll kill two birds with one stone and bowl both AMI Lancaster and QEII Park over and build a super oval, with a swimming complex, on top of the Showgrounds stadium. This would create a more managable sports precinct with the Arena nearby and right next door to Addington racecourse.

Surprised to see that the Canterbury RU is going to use dear old Rugby Park as a home base for the near future. Both NPC and (f##king boring) Super Rugby being played there. :mellow: This could be home for the next ten to twenty years!

• 3 weeks later...
:huh: Interesting...England will appear at this year's world cup wear a Black jersey. If they encounter the All Blacks, they will revert to a white jersey.

Even I have to say, this is priceless!

:wacko:

Samoa stun Aus 32-23 in rugby Test

SYDNEY — Samoa claimed their greatest ever victory with a stunning 32-23 upset of Australia at the Sydney Olympic stadium on Sunday on a humiliating afternoon for the two-time World Cup winners.

Rugby's second-ranked team were outplayed by the big-hearted Samoans just a week away from the Wallabies' Tri-Nations opener with South Africa and only months before the World Cup in New Zealand.

The Samoans swarmed all over the hosts, outscoring them four tries to two for their first win over Australia in five meetings.

Tenth-ranked Samoa ambushed the Australians with a 17-0 lead inside the opening half-hour and although the Wallabies pulled back to trail 17-13 minutes after half-time, that was as close as they got.

Samoa got off to a flyer when Leicester Tigers winger Alesana Tuilaga raced 70 metres to score off a turnover.

The powerful Tuilaga beat off Matt Giteau's tackle to score in the 11th minute and crowned his runaway try with an extravagant swan dive in-goal.

Tusi Pisi added the conversion to his earlier penalty goal to give the Pacific Islanders a 10-0 lead. Australia were shell-shocked.

The Wallabies passed up a possible 12 points by electing to run the ball from four penalties in the opening 20 minutes, but Giteau was forced to take a 45m penalty attempt, which he missed.

The Samoans continued to pressure the home side and were rewarded when debutant scrumhalf Nick Phipps had his clearing kick charged down for fullback Paul Williams to score in the 29th minute.

Pisi's conversion gave Samoa a stunning 17-0 lead.

South African referee Marius Jonker lost patience with Samoa and lock Daniel Leo was yellow carded for hands in the ruck.

The Wallabies used their superior numbers in the scrum to position winger Digby Ioane to score a converted try two minutes before halftime.

Giteau reduced the deficit to seven points with a penalty on the half-time siren for the Wallabies to trail 17-10.

The Australians edged closer just after the resumption with Giteau's second penalty, but Samoa again rocked the home side with their third try minutes later.

Samoa kept the ball alive and number eight George Stowers sent lock Kane Thompson charging over wide out for a 22-13 lead.

The Wallabies fell further behind when Phipps and Adam Ashley-Cooper fumbled Tuilagi's kick for centre George Pisi to ground the ball over the try-line under a mass of bodies.

Brother Tusi converted to extend the lead to 29-13 as concerned Wallabies' coach Robbie Deans sent on star backs Will Genia and Kurtley Beale as reinforcements with the game heading into the last quarter.

Tusi Pisi kept Samoa in control with a 66th-minute penalty before Giteau gave the Australians some hope with a try out wide after a kick and regather from replacement forward Scott Higginbotham.

But the hard-working Samoans held on in the rain and rejoiced wildly as the full-time siren sounded to register their biggest rugby achievement.

The Wallabies had a desperately fought 9-3 win over Samoa in their first meeting at the 1991 World Cup in Pontypool, but won more comfortably in their other three Tests, including 73-3 in 1994 and 74-7 in 2005, both in Sydney.

AFP

Even I have to say, this is priceless!

:wacko:

:unsure: Yeah I'm not saying anything because we're taking on Fiji this weekend...And anyway, why waste effort on non-essential matches two months out from the World Cup.

Well, it's certainly given Samoa a big double shot of confidence:

Samoa can win World Cup, says PM

Samoa's stunning Test victory over Australia showed the national side was capable of winning this year's Rugby World Cup, Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi said.

Tuilaepa said he was "over the moon" after Sunday's 32-23 victory over the Wallabies in Sydney, a win he said "warmed the heart" of the Pacific island nation.

"No one actually thought that Australia would lose," he told reporters.

"I myself knew we would be competitive, as the way we played in the Northern Hemisphere tour showed we can compete.

"But defeating Australia, which is the second ranked team and is twice world champions, shows Samoa can win the World Cup."

Former Samoa captain Pat Lam, who now coaches the Auckland Blues Super 15 team, said the win ranked alongside the team's shock 16-13 victory over Wales at the 1991 World Cup as the country's best sporting result.

"It's massive, right up there," he told Radio New Zealand. "Australia's number two in the world currently... (we) had no chance, according to the Aussie media and that's probably the worst thing you can say to a Samoan.

"They had a real belief and determination and their preparation has been very good.

"The real key is they didn't just beat them, they out-fought them, out-muscled them and out-played them completely. It was a great win".

Lam rejected the argument that Australia lost because they had not fielded a full strength team, saying Samoa also had key players missing.

"At the end of the day, they put out what they believed was their best Test team and Samoa put out what they had available and they absolutely hammered them," he said.

He said Samoa faced a difficult task at the World Cup in New Zealand starting in September as they were in the so-called "pool of death" with South Africa, Wales, Fiji and Namibia.

But he was confident the Samoans could reach the quarter-finals.

"South Africa, they'll be tough, Wales always has an issue with Samoa at World Cup time, and there's Fiji," he said.

"So it's certainly a winnable pool, but it'll be a tough pool."

NineMSN

Speaking of which, is it time to start making our WC predictions yet?

I'll bite the bullet and say, that at home, it surely would have to be the All Blacks. The alternative would be too, too cruel, even for me!

<_< Pffft...I'm not counting on it.

World Cups are full of surprises. There are six teams that have an all equal chance to win it.

Still, Hamilton is hosting what will now be a prime match up - Wales v Samoa! B)

:unsure: Yeah I'm not saying anything because we're taking on Fiji this weekend...And anyway, why waste effort on non-essential matches two months out from the World Cup.

yes Fiji will be a physical clash for the All Blacks first up. Congrats to Samoa though. I always enjoy watching those Pacific nations playing!

:huh: I wonder what ever happened to that Pacifica side concept that played the All Blacks ten years ago...

Still it's great that the nation that provides both Australia and New Zealand with a ready supply of talent finally gets one back.

Go for it Samoa!

Just found this , part of the failed proposal of Hegan Entertainment for the World Cup ceremonies tender.

Thank God we got David Aktins, while the start is promising, I could do far better than this.

:mellow: A tight budget and a tight time frame, I suppose you shouldn't be expecting a CWG opening extravaganza.

Surprisingly, ticket sales are still light for the pool matches, but at least all the Samoan matches are now sold out :)

Martin Sneddon is still using his 'glass half empty' attitude by commenting about the sluggish ticket sales saying the world will think 'NZ isn't that rugby mad after all' - Guess what Martin, you're right...Football is NZs most widely played sport.

Guess what Martin, you're right...Football is NZs most widely played sport.

So it is apparently in Oz and the US - based mainly on the vast junior and girls ranks playing. But nobody would call us "football/soccer nations". The proof's in the TV ratings what really gets sports fans enthusiasm up.

:mellow: Sloppy match by the All Blacks this evening, 60 - 14 against Fiji.

Fiji played well and considering they are in the toughest of WC Pools, very formidable...Good work.

Pretty good score for a sloppy effort though. I think both sides were equal in the sense that they were in many ways two second string teams.

As for ticket sales, Im actually reasonably impressed so far. The sales have picked up since the last batch were put on sale. Unfortunately, when you have an event that esentially destroys the core of your second largest city, that populous really do have more pressing issues than getting tickets for the World Cup. I don't think those events can be underestimated when looking at ticket sales to date.

For the above ceremonies proposal, I was just waiting for Frankie Stevens, Ben Lummis, Candy Lane, Jason Gunn and a drugged up Emma Paki to be introduced to perform an all singing/dancing rendition of World in Union.

For the above ceremonies proposal, I was just waiting for...a drugged up Emma Paki to be introduced to perform an all singing/dancing rendition of World in Union.

:lol::blink: Ahh Haa noooo no no no! Unless you want her to sing Advance Australia Fare backwards again! :D

My God that was a shocker wasn't it. Poor girl given a chance and had to go get trollied the ......afternoon before. A Shame, System Virtue has been one of my favourite travelling songs on the ol' ipod while I've been away.

Gareth Farr is a gooden for writing music for the ceremonies though.

:mellow: Sloppy match by the All Blacks this evening, 60 - 14 against Fiji.

Fiji played well and considering they are in the toughest of WC Pools, very formidable...Good work.

A typical first up match from the All Blacks. We will only improve from here.

:unsure: Amazing what a week can do...Australia 39 - South Africa 20.

:mellow: This is ominous, Australia are odds on favorite to easly make it to the final of RWC. Next weekend it's Bledesloe Cup time and the Wallabies are determined to end their 11 match losing streak in NZ and 25 year losing streak on Eden Park.

The All Blacks will really need to lift their match technique, which they will. Deans v Henry 2011 begins :)

Archived