2011 Irb Rugby World Cup

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's going to be tight, but the Dunedin stadium is on track to be finished in time for RWC.

I've been keeping tabs on a number of forums in regards to the 2011 RWC and I am somewhat surprised as some peoples negative views about NZs capability of hosting the event. I hear people really very upset at our smaller stadium capacity and at our main stadium, saying that the IRB will have to ensure that in the future the event is only hosted by nations who can provide bigger arena - bollocks.

NZ has been organising and hosting well run tournaments and events for years, while certain other countries have still been trying to get their sh1t in order. The stadiums will be of an appropriate size for our country and even though I would have loved to see a waterfront stadium, Eden Park is a sensible option.

It may not be the prettiest looking stadium (though in saying that, I think everyone is nicely surprised at how the redevelopment has turned out), but it will be a technically excellent stadium. It will have rugby players at its heart, provide an excellent experience for spectators and media, and provide a good playing pitch (for all the money that went into giving Delhi a fancy fancy redevelopment..... what a shocking turf).

Not to mention that, the history of stepping out of that ground , host to the 1987 final and so many rugby legends over the last century - really does add something to the whole tournament.

On a purely technical note, the IRB has constantly given the organisers a thumbs up for their progress,

Can't wait till next year.

Eden Park is not the sensible option. Its the safe option. Residential 60,000 seat stadia are not sensible at all.

As for capacities, the RWC has grown. Its not the same tournament it was many years ago. The venue capacities are not good enough, and have missed the mark in terms of what is reasonable. Outside of Eden Park the capacities are not good enough for a major event, and I am in no way suggesting they should be near to FIFA's requirements, but there is a small gap between reasonable venue capacities and what NZ is presenting.

Not a huge gap, but its there.

The problem with New Zealand is that the sporting stadia and arenas are perfect domestically, the country does not need vast stadiums as they will not be filled. Internationally after 2011 it will be very difficult to compete with other nations to host events. The major rugby nations already have high capacity stadia and excellent transport infrastructure. Yes New Zealand has hosted many world class events but these were all in an earlier time, today thousands of people would be visiting the country. I have noticed since being here that when big scale or ambitious plans are published, public reaction goes towards doing the job smaller and cheaper, whilst roads still have massive priority over public transport.

I do think that RWC 2011 will be a success, mainly due to the Kiwi's love of rugby. The way the country is at the moment an Olympic Games is a fantasy, another Rugby World Cup wouldn't be in my life time. I think that a Commonwealth Games would be ideal and World Championship sports such as Rowing and Sailing, even Athletics champs in Auckland

At the end of the day it would be irresponsible for New Zealand to implement stadiums around the country that were far too big for the population. The truth is, NZ has a population of just under 4.5million, Auckland has a population of around 1.3m with the likes of Wellington and Christchurch hovering around the 200/250,000 mark.

The stadiums those cities have, have capacities that are completely appropriate to their size. 60,000 is the biggest capacity Auckland could manage for a stadium. The stadiums that are there, are spectator and player friendly.

I guess it comes down to - is NZ too small for a World Cup? Well, I say no. The organisation looks to be fantastic, they have done almost everything right so far. I have no doubt that this will be a world cup where it will be rugby focused to the extreme. It seems like touchy feely bs, but it will be the tournament when an Argentinian player will be lectured by a 70year old granny about his lazy ruck play.

The IRB needs to watch they don't fall into the same trap as the Com Games, a culture where huge arena and stadiums are the must. We are finally coming to a point where we are saying that a 35,000 seat athletics stadium is ok, and you dont have to have a gymnastics venue that seats 12,000.

I would certainly far prefer to see a capacity crowd of 30,000 at Rotorua International Stadium, than a mainly empty Murrayfield.

I just don't see the logic in countries building an 80,000 seat stadium in each city for one tournament - money can be better spent elsewhere.

I agree with you Matt regarding the stadia. It is the public transport that worries me more than anything, having regularly caught the train in and out of Wellington, there has been many train delays, breakdowns and sometimes you can be waiting for a long time with no announcement of delays. I know there are some real improvements being made, but there is a real need for a 21st century public transport system.

In Wellington, the new mayor, Celia Wade Brown wants a light rail system from the city centre to the airport, but prob's wont happen as the majority of the people want more roads

Auckland will quite obviously now have a far better go at implementing any project with the advent of the Supercity, aswell as having someone like Len Brown as the Mayor (at least in relation to public transport).

For those not in NZ, his 3 big transport plans he wants to see are

- an underground rapid rail link around the Auckland CBD

- extending the rail network over to the North Shore

- a rail link from the city to the Airport.

We are already seeing the double tracking of lines and the electrification of the network. Real work has been done in recent times on public transport in Auckland, even with the Northern busline over to the Shore. I dont know about Wellington, but Auckland's pt plans for the World Cup look pretty decent.

These transport improvements in Auckland are great but the main problem about getting them completed is money. The Government has just spent heaps on bailing out South Cantabury Finance and helping Christchurch during the recent earthquake, also with the 3 year government cycle it makes it real difficult to have plans seen through to the end. These plans for Auckland may not be fully completed for another 50 years.

When it comes to electrification and double tracking, these things have already been completed in most countries so this makes other bidding cities for events look more desirable.

How is adding temporary seats at venues as in South Africa a major requirement? You put them up and remove them after the RWC. NZ has venues with the right capacity for its needs but the RWC is not about its needs but about demand for tickets.

The addition of scaffold seating was not an issue in Cape Town or Durban, which boosted those capacities by 13,000+

• 2 weeks later...

I seen on the news today that there was a bit of a mess at Eden Park at the final of the 4 nations.

It said that fans were throwing bottles into the crowd and onto the pitch, with many people getting hit. There was also concerns that there were not enough security. Many fans were reported as being very drunk and disorderly.

There was also reports that there was very long waits to get money from ATM'S and that the card reading machines broke down

I hop that this does not happen next ear at RWC

There are reports here in New Zealand that David Atkins Enterprises is set to be awarded the Ceremonies contract for RWC 2011, it has been denied by RugbyNZ 2011, saying that the final decision won't be made till next month - however they haven't denied they are the leading contender, and they have indeed made a pitch to be the supplier.

Of course the opposition rugby world cup spokesman has come out saying it should be awarded to a Kiwi company. Ironic though, we praise the efforts of the likes of Michael Mizrahi for heading around the world presenting international events, but not so welcoming of internationals in for our event.

I would be thrilled to see DAE come over and present our ceremonies.

I myself , would be keen on DAE producing and the likes of Mike MIzrahi acting as artistic director.

The ceremonies contract is apparantly worth $8m

I am going into the city centre tomorrow, for an interview for the volunteering programme at RWC 2011, should i wear my Scotland top or not? :P

Nah, wear a kilt. People might mistake you for the manners mall bagpipper.

Royal rugby honeymoon 'fantastic' idea: Snedden

prince_williams-420x0.jpg

WELLINGTON: While it may not be Kate Middleton's dream honeymoon, Rugby World Cup organisers said yesterday it would be "fantastic" if Prince William and his new bride attended next year's event in New Zealand.

The prince, a keen rugby union fan, cheered on England at the last two World Cups and his wedding, slated for next year's northern hemisphere spring or summer, may fall just before the tournament's kickoff in September.

Rugby NZ 2011 chief executive Martin Snedden said a visit from the royal couple would add lustre to the game's showcase tournament, which will be the largest sporting event ever hosted in New Zealand.

Advertisement: Story continues below

"It would be fantastic if Prince William and his bride came," he said.

"We would obviously warmly welcome any member of the royal family to the tournament.

"We know Prince William and Prince Harry are keen rugby fans -- they have been to previous tournaments and should they be keen to come to RWC 2011, we are sure they would add to what will be a wonderful occasion for NZ."

Prince William, whose grandmother Queen Elizabeth II remains the official head of state in New Zealand, reportedly expressed an interest in attending the World Cup when he visited the former British colony in January.

His fiancee's views on spending her honeymoon watching the All Blacks perform the haka and England fans belt out boozy renditions of Swing Low Sweet Chariot are not known.

Sydney Morning Herald

• 2 weeks later...

Archived