2011 Irb Rugby World Cup

Nice one Auckland <_< Once again leading the way in ruining NZ's reputation as a major events host - this time taking advantage of accomodation, or lack of it. One B&B is charging $1600 a night admittingly within view of Eden Park. Hotels have also bumped up tarifs much to a chargen of the ACC and Tourisim Ministry...Shades of Atlanta '96?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Japan have secured their place at next year's World Cup in New Zealand by hammering Hong Kong 94-5.

The emphatic victory secured top spot in the Asian Five Nations and means they will progress to Pool A of the 2011 tournament along with the hosts, Canada, Tonga and France.

Japan, who will play in their seventh straight World Cup in 2011, never looked troubled against Hong Kong as they surged into a 45-0 lead by half-time.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12337_6167288,00.html

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:angry: Jeeeez you're an embarrasment Auckland!!! :angry:

It's bad enough that you've dicked around with Stadium NZ....And now with the so called 'Party Central'.

Who's dumb idea is it to retain one of the old dilapidated sheds refurbished into an events centre AS WELL AS the NZ Government's structure, oh yes the Auckland Regional Council!!!

As far as I'm concerned, Auckland has ruined the RWC already...This city just cannot work it's self out, shades of the build up to the 1990 CWGs. (And John Banks wants Auckland to host the Olympics in 2020??). It's a very bad omen when the sports minister Murray McCully says "It's hard to do business in this city". The PM needs to slam the brakes on now and get the Government to completely take over this whole kerfuffle.

As for CEO Martin Sneddon...I would never want you to be the head of any other major NZ event, you are just too negative in your outlook, you insular self absorbed pro Auckland moron...

Volunteer for the RWC? Not bloody likely!! :angry:

:D Ahhh...I feel soooo much better! :)

I think Sneds has done a pretty good job so far. To be fair, these few problems are more about the internal politics of Akl, and the ARC making one last pathetic stand. If anything its an endorsement of the Supercity's worth.

I too just want those sheds sscrapped, but ultimately, RWC preparations in terms of the tournament seems too be running well, the IRB is constantly echoing this.

Shame for AKL though.

I was at the Eden park game between the All Blacks and Springboks on Saturday night (All Blacks won 32-12!). I sat in the new part of the stadium. I was impressed by the stadium itself, but was concerned by the transport getting in and out of the stadium. There was only 22,000 tickets for the game and the infrastructure didnt seem enough.

I still feel we needed the waterfront stadium.

• 4 weeks later...

I was at the Eden park game between the All Blacks and Springboks on Saturday night (All Blacks won 32-12!). I sat in the new part of the stadium. I was impressed by the stadium itself, but was concerned by the transport getting in and out of the stadium. There was only 22,000 tickets for the game and the infrastructure didnt seem enough.

<_< yeah...ha.ha and now Auckland has to fork out $40mil for Eden Park's funding shortfall, no sympathy..

I still feel we needed the waterfront stadium.

Oh yes...But this will be built by the Super City, and will be a pointless monstrosity untill NZ hosts the CWGs or if Banksy gets his way, the Olympics!

Glasgow is similar, hampden park is in the middle of an residential area, just like eden park in Aukland and is served with the one train station. However we have a very good transport service here.

And the waterfront, we all know party central is going there, well if it ever happens. Wellingtons is nearly finished though and looks good. Im looking forward to going to Scotlands quarter final games at the Westpac :P

The Auckland City Council has just opened tender for a creative director and production company to stage an opening party celebration on the day of the Opening Ceremony/match at Eden Park.

The budget is expected to be just below $2m and the event will encompas Viaduct Harbour, Te Wero Island, Quay Street, surrounding water space, and potentially Queens Wharf. They are also expected to tie in with the Fan Central on the Wharf.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

They also make the point that this is entirely independent of the official Opening Ceremony staged by Rugby New Zealand 2011.

I just received an email. My tickets for the world cup have been confimed. I will be attending all the pool games in Wellington and 2 of the quarter finals in Wellington. I am in the ballot for semi-final and final tickets.

The games I will be attending are:

Sun Sept 11 South Africa v Wales Wellington

Sat Sept 17 South Africa v Fiji Wellington

Fri Sept 23 Australia v USA Wellington

Sat Oct 1 France v Tonga Wellington

Sun Oct 2 New Zealand v Canada Wellington

Sat Oct 8 QF1: W Pool C v RU Pool D Wellington

Sun Oct 9 QF3: W Pool D v RU Pool C Wellington

:) I got all my Hamilton games!!!

...probibly because I went for the top seats, will cost me $500, but once in a lifetime so worth it! :D

Also put my name in for all Semifinals, 3rd/4th and final.

• 4 weeks later...

Auckland has unveiled its 1 year to go countdown clock, must say, Im very impressed. Very different from most countdown clocks we see at various sports events.

The concept is *think standard digital alarm clock, deconstructed, on a totally unfamiliar scale, in unexpected surroundings*

3328_rugby-world-cup-2011-countdown-clock.jpg

Enjoy the year to go bro's across the ditch...I'd say by WC2011 the four year All Black last hurdle syndrome will rear it's head again and the Wallabies will have a few more lessons on keeping a lead :P

Be sure if you can to get to some minnows games. Had a great time at Georgia Vs Uruguay in 2003 and whilst they might not think it Scotland and Fiji turned on a belter for two lesser rugby nations...

I just received an email. My tickets for the world cup have been confimed. I will be attending all the pool games in Wellington and 2 of the quarter finals in Wellington. I am in the ballot for semi-final and final tickets.

The games I will be attending are:

Sun Sept 11 South Africa v Wales Wellington

Sat Sept 17 South Africa v Fiji Wellington

Fri Sept 23 Australia v USA Wellington

Sat Oct 1 France v Tonga Wellington

Sun Oct 2 New Zealand v Canada Wellington

Sat Oct 8 QF1: W Pool C v RU Pool D Wellington

Sun Oct 9 QF3: W Pool D v RU Pool C Wellington

Ohh... New Zealand vs. Canada. Hopefully the Canadians can keep it respectable.

Ohh... New Zealand vs. Canada. Hopefully the Canadians can keep it respectable.

What's happened to Canadian rugby? There was a time it was certainly above the standard of the Americans and creeping up closer to the Italians and Pacific islanders?

Perhaps there needs to be a Northern Pacific Five Nations (Canada, Japan, USA, Korea, Russia) to help develop the game...or an Americas 5 nations (Canada, US, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay)

• 4 weeks later...

Eden Park had its official Open Day today. Gotta say, even though I would have preferred a new waterfront stadium - the Park looks awesome. I think it's a good mix of a World Class facility which still keeps alot of history which will be the unique Point of Difference about this World Cup.

5066242937_9b6f8fa99f_o.jpg

5066858186_c8e972ecba_o.jpg

5066865516_8262176ca9_o.jpg

5066307629_0bf3d14704_o.jpg

And a few pics of AMI Stadium in Christchurch

md406594.jpg

md406592.jpg

What's happened to Canadian rugby? There was a time it was certainly above the standard of the Americans and creeping up closer to the Italians and Pacific islanders?

Perhaps there needs to be a Northern Pacific Five Nations (Canada, Japan, USA, Korea, Russia) to help develop the game...or an Americas 5 nations (Canada, US, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay)

Its hard, because rugby is a popular participation sport, but there isn't a future in it for most Canadians. The leagues in Europe, South Africa and the Pacific are kinda nationalistic exclusive. So its hard for Canadian players to travel overseas to play. That being said, Wales and Canada have signed accords that will allow Canadians to play in Wales and be developed in Wales along with Welsh juniors. So that is certainly a step in the right direction.

Also the lack of competitive rugby is an issue. In reality Canada plays 2 competitive games between World Cups, both against the United States and both usually wins. Rugby Canada was certainly bouyed by the inclusion of rugby into the Olympics, but the government and the COC wants the 7's and union funding to be seperate and the COC/government money will only go to developing the 7's game and not the union game. There just isn't enough money to go around.

Canada's goal in New Zealand is to finish 3rd in their group and that would require wins against Tongo and Japan. Both achievable.

And yes I think a annual competition between Canada-Argentina-USA-Uruguay would be ideal to grow rugby in the Americas. If there was a fifth Brazil is a better choice than Chile.

:) Great picks of Eden Park...I believe this ground will probibly exist for another thirty years before it will finally succome to the wrecking ball...sadly as you can see, it's just in the wrong place.

With Auckland Council now a reality, they will be definitly looking to reduce the duplicity of mediocre sports facilities, and finally consolidate on one very large and two medium sized stadia...I think we'll be going back to the waterfront in the 20's.

• 2 weeks later...

Was up in Auckland for a few days and did the whole Western Line train journey to Kingsland to kill abit of time, the train journey spectators will be able to use to get to Eden Park come RWC time, I was reasonably impressed at the facilities there - just need to do abit of work on the underpass tunnel, but they are still working on the stations. From the little glimpses I could get the Park looked awesome up close too - and then of course I had to have the beverage or two at the Kingslander, the chosen watering hole of many a rugby punter come 2011 Im sure.

Still not entirely sure the logistics of the *rugby walk* which was touted - between the cbd and Eden Park, what track does that actually take?

Oh, the countdown clock looks awesome too, especially at night with the backdrop of the Britomart.

:) That Countdown Clock is really cool to look at...

:angry: Pity there isn't one in Wellys or Chch as well...bloody Auckland! :angry: (and you can pay for your own rail network as well..I'm not!)

:mellow: Today is one year out from the day after the final, so what will be next for NZ? (apart from the pointless Cricket WC in '15)...a new topic me thinks.

The plans for the Queens Wharf Fanzone have been released today in Auckland, they have settled on the *cloud* structure, aswell as retaining one of the old sheds (to be refurbished) and outdoor landscaping.

4270148_600x400.jpg

:) That Countdown Clock is really cool to look at...

:angry: Pity there isn't one in Wellys or Chch as well...bloody Auckland! :angry: (and you can pay for your own rail network as well..I'm not!)

:mellow: Today is one year out from the day after the final, so what will be next for NZ? (apart from the pointless Cricket WC in '15)...a new topic me thinks.

Nothing left for New Zealand. They have about 4-5 million people! What are they gonna do, bid Auckland for the Olympics?

Excuse me? Auckland only represents 1/3 of the population but contributes more than half of NZTA’s funding. State funding of the rail system DOES mean Aucklanders are paying for their own infrastructure. Auckland is propping up the rest of the county’s infrastructural development, not the other way around.

Archived