2011 Irb Rugby World Cup

He is indeed. He also did the ferry building light show, this is it, and the 2 Americas cup events. He is behind the nz2011 rugby ball so does hav a connection with the event.

Check out his ferry building show, amazing.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They can't ditch World in Union!!!

The "look" of the tournament doesn't make too much difference really considering the tournament's main logo is the usual (though tweaked) IRB RWC logo. I don't see though why the main logo can't be used in association with tournament specific logos rather than in place of.

I fully agree on both counts.

Rumour this morning is that the official song will be "right here,right now" , covered by kiwi band the feelers

Apparantly the song won't replace world in union, but will be more of a stadium anthem and marketing tool.

It was confirmed that the Feelers cover of Right Here Right Now is the official marketing song of RWC2011.

The short clip can be found here

RWC Promo

And here is a clip about that hammerhead design look of the World Cup

It was confirmed that the Feelers cover of Right Here Right Now is the official marketing song of RWC2011.

I like this version...This will be used for ticketing purposes from 27 April. Martin Sneddon has aready weathered controversy over it already...He did say the video clip will change as time moves forward to RWC2011.

As for World in Union, this song will be twenty years old next year so IMO it may be time for a change, then again you seldom heard it in France.

I like it too, fits its purpose. Unfoortunately misguided people dont understand that purpose and would prefer a plastered Jordan Luck or manwhored Dane Rumble to be the face of the event. Maybe abit of Sativa would get Mr Roberts of Remmers wanting to buy tickets

I still think World in Union is an amazing theme. I loved Christopher Gordons reworked version in 2003.

Id be keen on a Jason Kerrison/Hollie Smith duet version for 2011.

Rugby World Cup CEO defends song choice

The British song chosen for the 2011 Rugby World Cup advertising campaign is "about selling tickets", and is not the tournament's official song, Rugby World Cup chief executive Martin Snedden says.

A cover of the Jesus Jones' song Right Here, Right Now had been recorded by New Zealand band The Feelers.

The Christchurch band's version of the song will be heard on ads for World Cup tickets, the first of which goes on sale on April 27.

But entertainer and poet Gary McCormick is angered by the choice and on Wednesday announced he was launching a campaign to change the song to a New Zealand one.

"The people of New Zealand are stumping up a couple of hundred million dollars so far and rising towards this World Cup and it's being held in New Zealand, the very least we can do is have a New Zealand song for the anthem for the World Cup," he told NZPA.

Mr Snedden said the song was not the official anthem, and was only chosen to appear in advertisements, to be played in New Zealand and overseas.

World in Union was the official Rugby World Cup song, and has been the theme of the past five world cups, he said, adding that NZ music would feature extensively during the tournament.

"There will be a heap of opportunities throughout the tournament and throughout the festival ... for New Zealand artists to be showcased," he said.

The song, originally released in 1990, was inspired by events that led to the end of the Cold War, including the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Lyrics include: "I was alive and I waited for this, Right here, right now, there is no other place I want to be."

Mr McCormick told NZPA the song choice "reeks of all that colonialism again".

"It's been sort of foisted upon us. It's not ours, and the very least we're entitled to hear is our song," he said, suggesting instead Loyal by Dave Dobbyn.

Loyal was used in NZ's 2002 America's Cup campaign, and was chosen as the country's greatest song ever in a 2006 survey.

But Prime Minister John Key has no qualms about an overseas song, saying it was a catchy tune.

"It's an international event and sometimes using an international song that's so well known makes a lot of sense," he said

http://news.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/rugby-world-cup-ceo-defends-song-choice-20100331-rc4l.html

World in Union is to be re-recorded for next year as it is the IRB's official anthem. As for Right Here Right Now - it sure as HELL beats Dave Dobbyn's Loyal...Gosh that song is soooo dreary. No wonder Rugby fans look so depressed at All Black matches. AND Loyal does stand for Look Our Yacht's A Lemon after the disasterous 2003 regatta. Not the best legacy for a song.

Prehaps the NZRU needs to look over the fence at Football NZ's 'One Shot Of Glory' anthem that was used to push NZ all the way to this years FIFA WC. :huh:

Be fair to say that this is 2011's equiv to australia using a kasey chambers cover of true colours as the promo song of that 2003 rwc.

Yeah...Good point.

Just saw the prices for Waikato Stadium's three pool matches - not bad for premium seating and am seriously considering purchasing seats for all three! Cost a respectable $560.00 for a package deal. :)

:) Don't know why everyone is moaning about prices...Pretty reasonable I believe. And we have all had time to save up for tickets. I intend to get to as many matches as possible...Definitely taking Annuals over the event. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: I knew it, I knew it, I knew it... :lol:

The so called Party Central event area to be based on Queens walve as now been downgraded to a large tented area. If your visiting Auckland for the rugby everyone - don't even bother going down there.

<_< Nice One Auckland...Once again you have proved to the nation that you can do it - completely stuff up a good thing that is!! <_<

To be honest, I'm not all that bummed out that decision.

Of course I am still frustrated with the stuff that came before this, the fact that unlike other places a sporting event would be the catylyst for building something impressive - whereas here it's a case of saying we don't need to rush something for the sake of an event.

In theory that is a good concept, but the fact that the event was awarded some time ago - it wouldn't have been a rush job.

But that all aside, I think we have got a good option. The red fence will be removed (in concept), and Aucklanders will have that extra access to the Waitemata.

Not to mention the fact that all going well, those sheds will be removed. There *has* to be something built there post Cup, be it a cruise ship terminal or some other public space.

As for a tent. It's safe to say its not going to be a party hire job, haha. It is a propper architecturally designed piece of event overlay. And I am confident that with the help of some awesome design minds, enter the likes of Michael Mizrahi again - it would be quite an eyecatching venue. Keep in mind we do already have the Viaduct Basin and the new Viaduct events centre, to also work as a party hub. Add to that the Edge and Aotea Square, where hopefully we will still be getting that big screen where the skycity cinemas are .

:mellow: What's annoying is the continual back and forthing in Auckland. We've gone from a first class stadium, right down to a tent!! Why does this happen everytime Auckland gets something big. I dread what the facilities will be like for the Volvo Round the World race when it arrives in 2012.

We also have presidence in the other direction though. Perhaps due to the single minded determination of one man, but we came up with something the world has never seen before, in the form of the Viaduct Americas Cup Village. A concept of an entertainment precinct where all the syndicates were based in one area open to the public.

That was an example of an event having the ultimate regeniration affect in Auckland.

Strange how the opposite has happened for this.

We also have presidence in the other direction though. Perhaps due to the single minded determination of one man, but we came up with something the world has never seen before, in the form of the Viaduct Americas Cup Village. A concept of an entertainment precinct where all the syndicates were based in one area open to the public.

That was an example of an event having the ultimate regeniration affect in Auckland.

Strange how the opposite has happened for this.

<_< err..Local body politics!!!! and its Auckland!

The artists impression revealed today of Queens Wharf Party Central.

3600904.jpg

It will be temporary, made of steele, glass and stadia quality pvc materials. Will hav cruise berth capabilities, tv studios etc.

Work has also just started on the Viaduct Events Centre at the Viaduct Basin, another planned celebration area

compositesix650.jpg

Aotea Square work continues, big screen planned for here

527287.jpg

The artists impression revealed today of Queens Wharf Party Central.

3600904.jpg

It will be temporary, made of steele, glass and stadia quality pvc materials. Will hav cruise berth capabilities, tv studios etc.

Not too bad, better than nothing I suppose. It's nice to see the waterfront slowly being opened up to development, it truely is this city's greatest asset.

photography_aerial_auckland_lg.jpg

It is.

We just have to hope now that we don't have the resident wanks trying to keep the sheds due to them being old. I would be well upset if that was the case. It does look ok at this stage though, the trust has said they are disappointed but will work with the developers to ensure other historic aspects of the wharf are incorporated into furture designs.

Love that photo you posted there, what an awesome sight it will be as the other wharves are gradually redeveloped, it's just gonna take a hell of a long time.

The concept of having a boulevard of trees and dotted parkland connecting up Victoria Park to the tip of the tankfarm with a greenspace is a real winner.

:) Great picture, gives everyone a view of why Auckland misses out! Tank farm is the biggest eyesore, really need something that stands out there. Also the tunnel is suppose to pass under it. As for the 'tree lined boulevard' sorry guys, you will be walking your grandchildren along it when they finally get it done! Thats Auckland for you!

:) Great picture, gives everyone a view of why Auckland misses out! Tank farm is the biggest eyesore, really need something that stands out there. Also the tunnel is suppose to pass under it. As for the 'tree lined boulevard' sorry guys, you will be walking your grandchildren along it when they finally get it done! Thats Auckland for you!

Dunno if that would apply to me and Stevie. lololol

<_< I was using a generalisation - and there is such a thing as adoption...no such thing as barriers like that anymore. :)

As for the "temporary" structure, who wants to lay a bet that it's still there in 2050? Just like in 1965 how the airfreight shed at the then new Auckland Airport was to be a temporary passenger terminal 'till 1970 - and it's still the domestic terminal today!

Archived