2011 Irb Rugby World Cup

Just find a way through the scaffolding or just stand on the roof of one of the nearby homes.

haha thats how my dad, brother and I used to watch the cricket ODI's in my home town when I was younger. from our roof you could look straight into seddon park.

You know what Mo Rush...Shut up! I'm sick of you snide comments about the 2011 RWC. Your country isn't exactly a shining example to mankind either!

Don't even bother alex. he's kinda got a point, we all know Eden Park is a hunk of crap and come 2011 is still guna look like a hunk of crap.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
haha thats how my dad, brother and I used to watch the cricket ODI's in my home town when I was younger. from our roof you could look straight into seddon park.

You must've lived up around Lake Road to get a view like that! If not Seddon Road its'self... ;)

Anyhow the IRB is satisfied with Eden Park as is whats being built...(the main gripe for me is Auckland taking the premium matches). Pity the Resource Management Act wasn't amended sooner then we would've got the 'Twickenham' of the South Pacific like it was supposed to be!! - But then again we did have a snotty sports minister at the time (oops there I go bagging the former Labour Government again...). :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

<_< Venues for 2011 - games in brackets.

Whangarei (1)

North Habour (2)

Eden Park (all the good ones)

Hamilton (3)

Rotorua (2)

Napier (1)

Palmerston North (2)

New Plymouth (2)

Wanganui (1)

Wellington (7)

Nelson (2)

Christchurch (7)

Dunedin (3)

Invercargill (2)

A fair spread.

As expected these venues are well lit grounds as most games will have a 9.30pm start time to catch Europe's breakfast

audiences. All cities have excellent airports and/or road access and with the exception of Nelson and Rotorua, connected by rail.

Already ructions have started from those cities that missed out - The obvious being Tauranga and then the likes of Whakatane, Gisborne, Timaru and Queenstown...

Too many venues

:mellow: True!

I thought ten venues at the VERY most. Still some of the minnow games will be farmed out to the 'provinces'

I would have added Tauranga, dropped Whangarei (given to Hamilton), Wanganui (to New Plymouth), Palmerston North (1 to Napier, 1 to Tauranga), Nelson (1 to Tauranga, 1 to Dunedin).

If you've got the grounds, I don't reckon the venue mix is overkills.

One of he probs of the last few cups has been the minnow games and totally uneven matches - it's good to see a few pool games be spread out a bit to the reach of most kiwis.

Sorry, but your venues & number of matches are wrong.

Here are the official numbers from the IRB:

Venues for 2011 - games in brackets.

Whangarei ( 2 )

North Habour ( 3 )

Eden Park (all the good ones: 9 )

Hamilton (3)

Rotorua ( 3 )

Napier ( 2 )

Palmerston North (2)

New Plymouth ( 3 )

Wellington (7)

Nelson (2)

Christchurch (7)

Dunedin (3)

Invercargill (2)

Official schedule by dates, venues, pools and teams (pdf file from IRB website)

<_< Venues for 2011 - games in brackets.

Whangarei (1)

North Habour (2)

Eden Park (all the good ones)

Hamilton (3)

Rotorua (2)

Napier (1)

Palmerston North (2)

New Plymouth (2)

Wanganui (1)

Wellington (7)

Nelson (2)

Christchurch (7)

Dunedin (3)

Invercargill (2)

A fair spread.

As expected these venues are well lit grounds as most games will have a 9.30pm start time to catch Europe's breakfast

audiences. All cities have excellent airports and/or road access and with the exception of Nelson and Rotorua, connected by rail.

Already ructions have started from those cities that missed out - The obvious being Tauranga and then the likes of Whakatane, Gisborne, Timaru and Queenstown...

And what about the opening match ? !!! NZ / TONGA !!!

I would have loved to see a NZ / France....

nah tonga is by far a better choice given the size of Aucklands urban polynesian population. the tongan team will have a fair bit of crowd support.

nah tonga is by far a better choice given the size of Aucklands urban polynesian population. the tongan team will have a fair bit of crowd support.

France could have also a great support of its polynesian population... New Caledonia is not fare from NZ ! :rolleyes:

and its good if the host actually wins the first match

Thanks, that's true that France could be dangerous..... for NZ !

And that's true it's better to win the first match.... In 2007, France lost again Argentina for its first match..... and also for its last one.....

And because of its lost, France did not play a quarter final (vs The Blacks) at home but in Cardiff...

Thanks, that's true that France could be dangerous..... for NZ !

Well regardless of who we play in the opening match, we are going to go into the tournament as favorites. Wouldn't matter if the match was against Tonga, France, South Africa, Australia etc. people expect the All Blacks to win. Whether we actually do is a different story. The fact is that the All Blacks are the superstars of international rugby and in the build up to 2011 every sports media outlet and rugby fan will start talking them up and it will not be coming from the NZ media or NZders, kiwis don't tend to openly talk up the All Blacks, even though we put them on such a high pedestal.

Great to see three games in New Plymouth my old home town! Its great that 13 venues will be hosting the 2011 world cup! I cant wait

:lol: My old hometown, Invercargill, got two. One up from last time! and some good teams too (Scotland and Argentina). The 13 venues chosen are testament to those cities that took the initiative to refit their grounds with lights and better facilities for the patrons and players, also if you noticed, the Lions Tour back in 2005 was the dry run for these cities. Even though NZ wasn't chosen at the time...Still, Tauranga...I wonder what went wrong? :(

Hopefully the ticket prices are more reasonable that what was charged for France. Tickets to major group games were as much as quadruple the price of tickets for the World Cup in Germany.

I don't know where you bought your tickets.... Quadruple ????????

Here are the Prices for the Rugby World Cup 2007

Pool match (exept opening match) from 10 euros to 165 euros

Final match from 101 euros to 498 euros

Here are the Prices for the Football World Cup 2006

Pool match from 35 euros to 120 euros

Final match from 120 euros to 600 euros

And for information for the Football World Cup 2010 prices will be from 16 euros to 710 euros.

And in France 2007, even with those prices that you found too high, they manage to get 92% of attendance during all the tournament....

Invercargill...talk about a village feel for world cup. this venue is a shocker.

its all a few steps down from France 2007.

:angry: You probibly don't even know where Invercargill is Mo Rush! - At least it's not in Africa! Troll!

Alex why do you let yourself get so riled up by Mo? Yes he comes across as somewhat facetious with his snarky little comments but there is truth in what he’s saying. I mean have you seen Rugby Park Stadium lately. It’s a hunk of crap. It’s been very clear from the outset that NZ2011 won’t be on as grand scale as France 2007 or even Australia 2003, but that was never part of the plan. The reason why NZ won the rights to host 2011 is what we have to offer the event. For those 6 week of match play all this country will be watching, thinking, talking, breathing is rugby, rugby, RUGBY! You would be hard pressed to find another nation on this planet what would be able to recreate the kind of atmosphere there is going to be in NZ for the world cup THAT is whats going to make this world cup magic. Not the stadia.

Alex why do you let yourself get so riled up by Mo? Yes he comes across as somewhat facetious with his snarky little comments but there is truth in what he’s saying. I mean have you seen Rugby Park Stadium lately. It’s a hunk of crap. It’s been very clear from the outset that NZ2011 won’t be on as grand scale as France 2007 or even Australia 2003, but that was never part of the plan. The reason why NZ won the rights to host 2011 is what we have to offer the event. For those 6 week of match play all this country will be watching, thinking, talking, breathing is rugby, rugby, RUGBY! You would be hard pressed to find another nation on this planet what would be able to recreate the kind of atmosphere there is going to be in NZ for the world cup THAT is whats going to make this world cup magic. Not the stadia.

:( It's alright for you to say it Stevie - just not him, he seems to have a hang up about anything NZ if the history of this thread goes by. As you said the idea is to give everyone in NZ a taste of 2011, admitingly I believe ten venues would have been great, (I'd be happy to drop Invercargill, Nelson, Palmy and Whangarei with Tauranga in) and why no Tauranga beats me. NZ may not have the best stadia in the world BUT AT LEAST Health, Education, Employment and Welfare for all come first BEFORE grandious white elephants that are going to or seem to be left behind after major events around the world. Look at Abuja as an example!

Archived