2011 Irb Rugby World Cup

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the IRB tinkers with the idea of a minnows plate and bowl final, just to keep them there for the duration. It's always a shame when the pool matches finish and the tournament empties out of all the colourfull teams! ie Portugal.

New developments wif the Eden Park issue.

Seems now almost all parties involved are preferring to move away from the budget Eden Park design of 197m, and instead move towards a 270m legacy option. The design is apparently a modified version of the previously released legacy option.

All seem to be keen on funding, including the government stumping up. Surprisingly , the one stuborn tosspot in it is yet again the ARC chairman Mike Lee. I wish someone would just shove a muzzle on her and hide him away in a North Head underground tunnel for 4 years. He is just trying to guzump everything.

So, what do the Kiwis think of Robbie Deans taking the helm of the Wallabies as we strive to grasp the Webb Ellis Trophy in Auckland in 2011?

Think its great, the next time the AB’s lose to Oz (god how long it;s been since that lol), atlest we can say: “Well with a kiwi coaching them how can they not of won?” :P

Robbie Deans is going to be great for Australian rugby but I’m still 100% behind the NZRU, I want to see Graham Henry take the AB’s to 2011. I guess we will just have to wait and see, Deans has an excellent track record with the Crusaders and that is a great credit to him but also remember just how many AB’s play for Canterbury in the Super 14.

As far as I’m concerned, the ¼ final loss to France doesn’t erase the success we have had over past 4 years. Each time the AB's have failed at the the World Cup the coach at the time has been axed but that clearly hasn't worked so what have we got to lose? Let try something different and keep Henry on!

Graham Henry is clearly the best choice for New Zealand...without a doubt. He's picked the best time too. Although a wallaby victory would be fantastic in 2011 i really cant see any team getting past the all blacks at home...then again i thought the same in 2007!

With Robbie Deans officially installed as Australian coach an interesting 2011 final could be on our hands...unless the bokkies want to spoil the party again!

btw, what is the ebst source to keep me updated on the 2011 World Cup as it starts to get off the ground?

Depends wot aspect of the Cup you wanna be kept up to date with. If it's the organisation, infrastructure upgrades, stadia upgrades etc etc, then the best place is probably the Kiwi forums over at Skyscraper City. There is already alot of discussion over there about Eden Park, and no doubt updates about the AMI Stadium redevelopment which has now underway.

New developments wif the Eden Park issue.

Seems now almost all parties involved are preferring to move away from the budget Eden Park design of 197m, and instead move towards a 270m legacy option. The design is apparently a modified version of the previously released legacy option.

All seem to be keen on funding, including the government stumping up. Surprisingly , the one stuborn tosspot in it is yet again the ARC chairman Mike Lee. I wish someone would just shove a muzzle on her and hide him away in a North Head underground tunnel for 4 years. He is just trying to guzump everything.

:angry: The ARC are a bunch of Jackarses!!! That's why the Government is trying to create a mega city council, just to get ride of them.

As for the full legacy option rebuilding, Auckland had better move it if it is to be ready by Super14 2011! I suppose its the best we can do of a totally STUPID situation! :angry:

:DYes! We're away!...

The $240million option is the chosen one...A much better looking stadium. Still need to find an extra $23million but Mayor John Banks said that's little more than a formality in finding corporate sposorship.

The huge hydraulic demolition claws will start chewing their way through the Panasonic stand and Number One stand litterally days after the last Bledisloe Cup match in August '08 with the site cleared and construction starting in December. All ready in time for the 2011 Super14 season.

:)

• 2 months later...

So, it's going to be an all-Auckland affair from the semi-finals onwards:

WELLINGTON, Feb 22 NZPA - Auckland's Eden Park will host both semi-finals and the final of the 2011 Rugby World Cup, it was confirmed today.

Rugby New Zealand 2011 Ltd chief executive Martin Snedden said logistical and financial considerations meant it was just not feasible for semi-final matches to be played in Christchurch or Wellington.

With organisers expecting a loss of at least $NZ30 million ($A26.11 million) for staging the tournament -- and with ticket sales the only source of revenue to offset anticipated running costs of $310 million -- Eden Park's superior capacity clearly outweighs the claims of Wellington and Christchurch, a fact both cities appear to have acknowledged.

Once Eden Park's $190 million refurbishment is complete, the stadium will seat 62,000 spectators, about 20,000 more than Westpac Stadium in Wellington while Christchurch's AMI Stadium may squeeze in 45,000 after its redevelopment.

Snedden today said the additional revenue from those extra seats, coupled with the logistical challenges of moving 30,000 people around the country in the space of a day, made Eden Park the ``obvious venue''.

``Once you get further into project and you realise some of the logistical and financial challenges, it becomes pretty clear that as long as the redevelopment of Eden Park goes ahead on time, it's the obvious venue to host both the final and the semi-finals,'' Snedden told Radio New Zealand today.

He said the semi-finals would be played on consecutive days, with approximately 35,000 overseas fans holding tickets to both matches.

``We've been through the logistical exercise -- you just can't possibly shift that number of people around and be sure they'd make it.

``The risk is too high and you just can't take risks in this type of project,'' Snedden said.

He said more tickets would be available for New Zealanders if the semi-finals and final were held at Eden Park.

``The bigger the stadium you play in, the more tickets there are available to New Zealanders, so that's a pretty compelling reason as well.''

However, Snedden acknowledged that ticket prices at the business end of the tournament would be pricey.

``We're probably a year away from setting prices, but if you look at France as a guide, tickets there started at 100 Euros ($A160) and went up as high as maybe 800 Euros ($A1,285) .

``I don't know if we'll end up that high, but I do know they're going to be far more expensive than what we've seen previously.''

Bryan Pearson, chief executive of AMI Stadium administrator Vbase, said they had now set their sights on landing two quarter-finals and a pool match for AMI Stadium, which is undergoing a $60 million revamp.

NZPA

Thank God for that.

Of course the rugby purists around the country will be doing a fair bit of Jafa Bashing with this decision, but it is the only logical decision that could have been made by NZ Rugby 2011 Ltd.

Should be also noted that the IRB after having a round of comprehensive meetings with the NZ Govt, NZ2011 and the NZRU have given an A+ rating to the organisation up to this point for the 2011 World Cup.

Martin Sneddon is an extremely competent person to be leading this tournament's planning.

• 4 weeks later...
Martin Sneddon is an extremely competent person to be leading this tournament's planning.

Good pedigree as chief exec of New Zealand Cricket if I remember rightly?

On the decision to stage the semis and final at Eden Park, it seems logical enough to me. Australia and France both went down that road and I suspect England would probably follow suit if they throw their hat into the 2015 ring. I guess the quarter-finals will now be split between Christchurch and Wellington, will they?

Good pedigree as chief exec of New Zealand Cricket if I remember rightly?

Bloody good cricket player too.

On the decision to stage the semis and final at Eden Park, it seems logical enough to me. Australia and France both went down that road and I suspect England would probably follow suit if they throw their hat into the 2015 ring. I guess the quarter-finals will now be split between Christchurch and Wellington, will they?

Most likley, but don't count on Christchurch staying quiet about passing over a semi. If built, Dunedin would want a quarter final as well. Or that matter Hamilton. The four "other" main centers catered for.

I Think its next year when the roster is set in place, so not long to go now.

Reports have it that the Dunedin City Council have voted 12-2 in favour of building the new covered stadium in Dunedin, which they say, will be built in time for RWC.

It will be built in partnership with the University of Otago.

The Dunedin City Council will contribute $91m to the $188m stadium. RWC capacity will be around 30k.

stadium_aerial.jpg

stadium_allblacks.jpg

So, it's going to be an all-Auckland affair from the semi-finals onwards:

Tough brake for Christchurch! Redoveloped stadium and massive following in the Super15's...big rugby city. that'd be like snubbing Brisbane in an Australia RWC...oh wait we did that...BASTARDS!

:) Well done to Dunedin! Although the stadium went through, funding by rate payers will only be $60 million but it will be easy to raise the other $45 million short fall.

One thing that has bugged many is the fact that the ORFU and NZRU are not helping out with funding. Those two organisations believe that "their" contribution will be first class matches over the next century.

With cricket now firmly established at University Oval, the final pieces are now in place.

Well done Dunedin! :) Auckland, Take Note! :angry:

Both southern cities have now lead by example!

Surely too small for a quarter-final, isn't it?

:mellow: Naa not really, probibly line up one of the lesser quarter finalist pairs, also got to remember that TV coverage pretty much pays for it, and the fact that there won't be hords of travellers "pouring accross the channel" so to speak.

Semi's will be where your bigger stadia will come in and then you will only have two choices.

Archived