Will You Be Going To The Vancouver Olympics?

dave199

Well the prices for the Vancouver games were announced today. It got me really thinking that these games are fast approaching.

I'm wondering who will be in Vancouver for the 2010 games??

I think I might make it out to Vancouver. I never visited this city before and there wouldn't be a better time to finally visit then February 2010.

I'm just wondering if the tickets to the Opening Ceremony will sell out really fast.

I can see the prices of hotels getting jacked up, even out in Surrey - any hotels in the vicinity of SkyTrain. But, even though I'm an out of towner, at least I got friends living in the lower mainland I could stay with. Even if I don't get to see any sporting events, there will be plenty of other stuff going on around downtown Vancouver so I'll probably be there for pin trading.

I have family just over the border in Washington - so I will see if it is practical to attend while staying there. However the events I'd most like to see are the downhill, aerial freestyle, bobsleigh and short track - necisitating a longish stay in Whistler predominantly. Honestly, I am not too enthused about attending the opening ceremony. Maybe its the venue, maybe its Canada - but I just dont know what David Aitkens will be able to do to really floor me. I think he set such a high benchmark with Doha's ceremonies that he may not be able to top it with Vancouver. I hope I am wrong. The closing intregues me more - I am interested in what Sochi has planned and since Nettwerk are involved I hope for a closing party with sarah McLachlan, the Barenaked Ladies and Avril. Maybe Fefe too :)

i'm hoping to attend the opening ceremony, an ice hockey game, luge, and some snowboarding events. i'm quite satisfied with the prices, they're almost identical to SLC's too.

the hockey finals price are huge....identical to the Closing Ceremonies.

i'm hoping to attend the opening ceremony, an ice hockey game, luge, and some snowboarding events. i'm quite satisfied with the prices, they're almost identical to SLC's too.

the hockey finals price are huge....identical to the Closing Ceremonies.

Yeah, look at these outrageous prices for the Hockey Final

A

$775

B

$550

C

$350

compare that to the Women's Final..lol

A

$325

B

$200

C

$125

What a difference!!!

Mind you the Chinese are doing everything humanly possible to stop those international tickets going to international buyers :rolleyes:

The hockey final prices seem way out of proportion.

According to VANOC, if it weren't for their increase in sponsorship revenues the tickets would be much more expensive. They said for starters, the curling prices would be a lot higher.

Interesting to note that the opening ceremony price is lower than SLC and Torino.

olympic-ticket-prices.gif

At $775 for the mens hockey final, they must be really banking on that Team Canada will be part of that last game. It'll be hard to pull off another Salt Lake City final.

I'm happy with the ticket prices. Rather affordable when you compare to other events of that calibre.

I agree, it allows more of a wider demographic to get tickets, I remember pricing how much the tickets I would want in Torino and it was something like 600 euros, with Vancouver is only about 300 dollars. That is a huge difference and makes things a little more affordable. Combined with savings on airfare flying out of Toronto instead of inter-continental, I may actually be able to afford going for a couple of days.

Mind you the Chinese are doing everything humanly possible to stop those international tickets going to international buyers :rolleyes:

The hockey final prices seem way out of proportion.

Puppy that is pretty much what you would pay for a Stanley Cup finals ticket, so not really. Prices at SLC were 550, so its not far off from previous North American hostings.

Of course, the real cost of these ticket prices depend on how the Canadian dollar does on International market in the next year or so. Already, these prices are about 20% higher than Americans would have paid last year at currency rates. Even internationally the CDN$ is edging up making the tickets seem more expensive.

I wonder if this might hurt VANOC in the long term (through no fault of their own, of course).

Everything is beating up on the American Dollar, when the Canadian Dollar is compared to other major currencies the gains are merely marginal. The dollar is now flirting with 1.03 today. As for events for me, depends really were I'm working (whether or not I'm in Canada or some other country). I do plan on throwing my name in for both ceremonies, short track speed skating, Aerials and Moguls, and maybe a hockey game or two.....

I hope to see the opening ceremonies, as much short-track as possible, some Long Track Speed Skating (especially the Team Pursuit finals), and Snowboard/Ski cross. The rest I will see.

Yes, I plan to go to a few events in Vancouver. Nearly all the events at Whistler are better watched on TV.

Events I hope to attend ...

1. Figure Skating (Category B) ... these tickets will be in very heavy demand (hence the high prices), so they will most likely be distributed by lottery. I will be happy just to get to 1 final ... any more would be a dream come true!

2. Short Track Speed Skating (Category A) ... I love sport and hope to attend as many finals as possible since tickets prices are very reasonable!

3. Curling (Category A) ... again the ticket prices are very reasonable so hope to attend a few events.

The rest I will watch on television.