Medal(s) For Your Country

Hmm... Beijing 2008 will start in about 10 months again, so from what sport your country can collect the medals, and how much ? For the start, for Indonesia, I thought we can get medals from badminton and also weightlifting. A little prediction about medals from Indonesia

Badminton

Mixed double (at least we can get silver)

Mens double (hoping can get the gold, at least silver)

Mens single(at least silver, Lin Dan vs Taufik Hidayat at final ;) )

Weightlifting (umh... maybe at least we can get 2/3 bronze)

a bit early out yet for concrete predictions as the teams have not been selected in new zealand. But going on performances new zealand should shine in rowing, valerie vili in the womens shot, maybe a sailing medal or two and triathlon medal...

Too early to tell yet!

Our chances for 2008 are much better than for any other Olympics, as the result of an early-planned, well-thought Olympic preparation project.

My predictions for Portugal (in decreasing order of certainty):

* Athletics (our best sport)

* Triathlon

* Judo

* Sailing (not so sure)

* Canoeing (even less sure)

Spain doesn't have all the athletes qualified yet, but I think we can win:

- Athletics (20 km walk race, sure ;) and something more)

- Basketball (the men's national team is the world Champion, women have to qualify thorugh the Olympic Qualifying Tournament, both teams are great)

- Canoeing (our great David Cal)

- Cycling (I hope, but I'm not sure)

- Gymnastics (both artistic and rhythmic, our teams had great perfomances in the World Championships)

- Handball (we were World Champions until Germany stole us the title...)

- Hockey (both men and women)

- Judo (at least one medal)

- Sailing (we were 49er Olympic Champions in Athens 2004)

- Synchronized Swimming (Gemma Mengual, Paola Tirados...)

- Tennis (if Rafa Nadal wants to go to Beijing)

- Triathlon (good luck to Javier Gómez)

- Volleyball (this year our men's team won the European League and the European Champs., but they haven't qualify yet)

- Water polo (because the men's team won the bronze medal in the World Championships)

:blink: Wow! I think we were worse! :)

Possibility of medals for Canada :

2 in Track in Field (but not gold) with Perditia Felicien and Tyler Christopher

3 or 4 in Swimming (but not gold), mostly in relay. Big improvment in the last two years since the arrival of the new head coach

1 in Gymnastic (possibility of gold), Kyle Shewfelt will be back

3 or 4 in Diving (possibilty of gold), two for Alexandre Despatie and the rest in women synchro (because china can not have more than one team)

2 or 3 in Wrestling (possibility of 3 gold), with the women team

1 in Mountain Bike (possibility of gold) with the return of Marie-Hélene Premont

4 to 5 in rowing (possibility of 3 gold), including of course the 8-men who won recently the World Championship

2 or 3 in Canoe Flat Water (possibilty of one gold), as every summer games

1 in Baseball (but no gold) if we qualified of course

1 or 2 in Trampoline (possibility of gold), as Athens

All the others sports : NONE

It will be a very big surprise if a medal is won in another sport.

Possibility of medals for Canada :

2 in Track in Field (but not gold) with Perditia Felicien and Tyler Christopher

3 or 4 in Swimming (but not gold), mostly in relay. Big improvment in the last two years since the arrival of the new head coach

1 in Gymnastic (possibility of gold), Kyle Shewfelt will be back

3 or 4 in Diving (possibilty of gold), two for Alexandre Despatie and the rest in women synchro (because china can not have more than one team)

2 or 3 in Wrestling (possibility of 3 gold), with the women team

1 in Mountain Bike (possibility of gold) with the return of Marie-Hélene Premont

4 to 5 in rowing (possibility of 3 gold), including of course the 8-men who won recently the World Championship

2 or 3 in Canoe Flat Water (possibilty of one gold), as every summer games

1 in Baseball (but no gold) if we qualified of course

1 or 2 in Trampoline (possibility of gold), as Athens

All the others sports : NONE

It will be a very big surprise if a medal is won in another sport.

The thing with the Canadian team is they have the skill to win around 20 medals at the Olympics but a good chunk of our athletes always choke when they reach this big stage. I think Canada will probably match the amount they got in Athens, which was like 12 I believe. I'll be happy with 15 medals.

BTW, how could I know about the qualifier for Beijing 2008 for each sport ? I mean is there any list consist of the qualifier for each sport for Beijing 2008 ? thank you

Wikipedia! :lol:

On the Beijing 2008 Official Website (http://en.beijing2008.cn/) there is a list of the qualifiers in some sports. Anyway, you can see the lists on the different sport federations websites, but the best website is Wikipedia.

The qualifiers for the Paralympics are on the International Paralympic Committee official website (http://www.paralympic.org) but this is just a list of the qualifying events without the qualified teams. Wikipedia hasn't got the Paralympic Qualifying Events :unsure:

I disagree a bit whit you, Dave. We could easily win a medal in Triathlon and in Taekwondo. Also, Boxing is always quite a wild-card and we could win a medal in women's trap.

Oh, and we could win more that two medals in track and field (and we might get a gold), and don't froget that we do have a world champion in swimming.

Wikipedia! :lol:

Actually, the Beijing 2008 section is surprisingly accurate.

I disagree a bit whit you, Dave. We could easily win a medal in Triathlon and in Taekwondo. Also, Boxing is always quite a wild-card and we could win a medal in women's trap.

Oh, and we could win more that two medals in track and field (and we might get a gold), and don't froget that we do have a world champion in swimming.

What do you disagree with? That our athletes will choke once again?

Do you think we'll win more than 15 medals in Beijing?

Mexico will not win a lot of medals, maybe 3 or 4 like last time. Still I expect that in Beijing they can catch a gold. The sports in which the country can obtain medals are:

Tae Kwon Do (1 or 2, gold, silver or bronze)

Diving (1 or 2, silver or bronze)

Athletics (1 or 2, silver or bronze)

Canoeing (1 bronze)

Cycling (1 bronze)

Archery (1 bronze)

Sailing (1 bronze)

Football (if they qualify)

Spain doesn't have all the athletes qualified yet, but I think we can win:

- Athletics (20 km walk race, sure ;) and something more)

Don't be too sure about that. Jefferson Perez, Eder Sanchez and the Russians have the skills to stop Paquillo. Plus you can't dismiss the local athletes, who are starting to give surprises on this event.

Don't be too sure about that. Jefferson Perez, Eder Sanchez and the Russians have the skills to stop Paquillo. Plus you can't dismiss the local athletes, who are starting to give surprises on this event.

Of course, Jefferson Perez is the one Paquillo has to beat. But we all (and Paquillo) want his first gold medal at an international competition. And what about María Vasco? She won a bronze medal at the World Championships in Women's 20 km Race Walk.

The other bronze medal we had at the World Championships in Athletics was in Women's 800 m by Mayte Martínez. They're the three people we hope a medal in athletics.

And maybe another one of the triple jumper Carlota Castrejana and the high jumper Ruth Beitia.