Vancouver's New Subway: Canada Line

mr.x

Thanks Mayor X........We all know you are so wrong.....Why then don't they take care the poor and elderly???

Read the paper Mr X..more in it today..... Highest taxed and more coming!!!!

Where do you think the money comes from...HEAVEN??? :lol:

If I'm "so wrong", then explain to me how exactly those numbers I posted above are incorrect?

most locals here - that actually know what is going on - know I'm right. ;) Not only that but all you have to do is look at the numbers, it's not quite hard. It's pure logic.

And with regards to that Vancouver Sun article, that was about the Canada Revenue Agency - the federal government, not Victoria.

With regards to the poor and elderly, the province is spending millions to open up 24/7 shelters and recently bought and announced funding to build/renovate dozens of existing and new social housing units.

The list below only lists some of the projects....and not included in the list below is the province's plan to open as many as 4,000 social housing units at Riverview.

shousingkg7.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm "so wrong", then explain to me how exactly those numbers I posted above are incorrect?

most locals here - that actually know what is going on - know I'm right. ;) Not only that but all you have to do is look at the numbers, it's not quite hard. It's pure logic.

And with regards to that Vancouver Sun article, that was about the Canada Revenue Agency - the federal government, not Victoria.

With regards to the poor and elderly, the province is spending millions to open up 24/7 shelters and recently bought and announced funding to build/renovate dozens of existing and new social housing units.

The list below only lists some of the projects....and not included in the list below is the province's plan to open as many as 4,000 social housing units at Riverview.

shousingkg7.jpg

That's the point Mr/Mrs X !!! Here you go , copy and pasting long copied posts or editorials, BUT KNOCK ANYONE ELSE THAT DOES it...like earseyeswideopen...and on other threads.

He has the facts, all from newspaper too or editorials, but you knock it down.

So who do I beleve!!! You can put all you want up, but you still don't get it.!!!!

This argument will go on and on, because you have no expertice with people..ONLY YOUR WAY ,AND BETTER BELIEVE IT.

Halloween will be over Nov.1st , take the mask off.... This is not about Olympics on this thread, for sure.

That's the point Mr/Mrs X !!! Here you go , copy and pasting long copied posts or editorials, BUT KNOCK ANYONE ELSE THAT DOES it...like earseyeswideopen...and on other threads.

He has the facts, all from newspaper too or editorials, but you knock it down.

So who do I beleve!!! You can put all you want up, but you still don't get it.!!!!

This argument will go on and on, because you have no expertice with people..ONLY YOUR WAY ,AND BETTER BELIEVE IT.

Halloween will be over Nov.1st , take the mask off.... This is not about Olympics on this thread, for sure.

How old are you? Seriously? You need to grow up. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when you start insulting people, then your argument and credibility is thrown out the door. I came on this website because I am interested in seeing Vancouver transform into an Olympic City. This site is for people who are interested in that kind of thing and yes, people do debate; however, you seem to be the only one that needs to result in throwing insults and being very immature.

How old are you? Seriously? You need to grow up. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when you start insulting people, then your argument and credibility is thrown out the door. I came on this website because I am interested in seeing Vancouver transform into an Olympic City. This site is for people who are interested in that kind of thing and yes, people do debate; however, you seem to be the only one that needs to result in throwing insults and being very immature.

Well Spikey, seems I am a man, what is your excuse. I have grown, but you have not

.Read back on the posts in all the Forums and see who is running who down, never seen you on these forums before.

We all were for the Olympics I thought ,till people started throwing their comments towards me.or others. My Son's are Olympics,,,,,, so read back and see whats happening in Olympic City,Vancouver... The city got the Olympics , by hook and crook....wait and see...NOW WE ARE PAYING FOR IT.. All in the newspapers, all on these Forums..

will show you that..Globe, Vancouver Sun...even Googleing brings the rift raft up..

Thanks for your comments and post, did help me to post..

yawn.gif

Anyhow....

Richmond Seeks Feedback on Guideway Lighting

http://www.richmond.ca/news/city/canadalin...dewaylights.htm

31 October 2007

For the restoration of No. 3 Road, the City of Richmond is nearing completion of Detailed Design for the northern section from Cambie Road to Bridgeport Road. As part of the design process, the City is investigating streetscape improvements, which include special effect lighting of selected sections of the Canada Line guideway, and would like the public’s input.

As a test, the City is demonstrating night time special lighting effects on the Canada Line guideway on No. 3 Road immediately north of Leslie Road from November 1 to 5. This test will light the west side of the Canada Line guideway between two columns and will include programmed coloured light changes.

The public is welcome to share their input of special effect lighting treatments with the City by sending comments to citylights@richmond.ca or by completing and submitting the feedback form available at www.richmond.ca > Canada Line > Public Participation. (click here)

Please note, the decision to incorporate special effect lighting will depend on factors such as safety, cost, funding, visual impact, public and Council assessment. Therefore, the public’s comments regarding this special effect lighting test would be appreciated.

Detailed Design for the remainder of No. 3 Road is currently scheduled to be complete by the summer of 2008. The City anticipates that restoration of No. 3 Road will begin in 2008.

spikeyt> well said.

huggles> it would be super awesome terrific if you could allow topics to stay on topic. Whether you like it or not, these Olympics are happening. The Canada Line is happening. The convention centre is being built. You get the picture.

As I've said before, I am here not 'cheering' on these projects, but am here because they are of great interest to me personally. I love sport and the games, I have an avid interest in architecture and city development and urban land use. I also am a born and raised Vancouverite which makes everything even that much more cool.

You want to talk about your displeasure with the games - find another audience. If you can't find a way to have a constructive conversation with an audience that obviously doesn't share your point of view you need to give your head a shake. But seeing that you don't change and keep bashing everyone that objects to you - your intentions are not to have a dialogue. But of course I don't need to tell you that. What's more funny is I rarely contributed before, so now you just have one more voice in the crowd against you.

So let this topic stay on topic mmm'kay. Interesting idea on the lighting in North Richmond.....

Well Spikey, seems I am a man, what is your excuse. I have grown, but you have not

.Read back on the posts in all the Forums and see who is running who down, never seen you on these forums before.

We all were for the Olympics I thought ,till people started throwing their comments towards me.or others. My Son's are Olympics,,,,,, so read back and see whats happening in Olympic City,Vancouver... The city got the Olympics , by hook and crook....wait and see...NOW WE ARE PAYING FOR IT.. All in the newspapers, all on these Forums..

will show you that..Globe, Vancouver Sun...even Googleing brings the rift raft up..

Thanks for your comments and post, did help me to post..

Perhaps you should think about what it is you want to say and get across before you type it because that response made absolutely no sense.

Transit is putting an end to the cheaters on Skytrain by installing turnstiles. Marked farecards that can be undated and filled on the internet will also be introduced. They will also be installing more security cameras at all stations.

Crackdown on transit crime

Transportation minister plans transit security measures to deter cheaters

John Bermingham, With a file by John Colebourn, The Province

Published: Friday, November 09, 2007

The B.C. government wants to take the crime train out of SkyTrain.

Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon unveiled ideas yesterday to radically overhaul the transit system to make it a safer ride -- and to stop fare evaders in their tracks.

His sweeping plans include:

- Installing electronic turnstiles at every SkyTrain and Canada Line station before the 2010 Olympics, along with more closed-circuit cameras.

- Launching a smart-card system to be used on trains and buses, which can be recharged at vending machines or on the Internet.

- Pursuing fare evaders with criminal prosecutions and on-the-spot fines.

- Boosting security outside SkyTrain stations.

- Improving safety for bus drivers.

Falcon said he was impressed by the London Underground and the Dutch Metro system in Rotterdam during a trip to Europe in September.

After talking with senior security officials in London, he became convinced SkyTrain needs to install turnstiles and more closed-circuit TV.

"The personal safety of commuters improves dramatically in a closed system," he told The Province.

"Women, in particular, feel safer and are safer. It's a controlled area and criminals generally stay out."

Falcon said turnstiles weed out the hang-arounds and reduce the chance of an act of terrorism.

The head of the Dutch transit system told Falcon that prior to installing its gated system, 60 per cent of all violence and assaults were caused by people who didn't pay fares.

After the turnstiles went in, fare evasion fell from 20 per cent to two per cent and ridership rose by almost 30 per cent.

Turnstiles have been priced at $100 million plus, but Falcon hopes to find a private partner to build and operate the system on a revenue-sharing basis.

A smart-card system would allow passengers to pay as they go by touching their card on an electronic reader. The card automatically debits the fare and can be topped up at stations or on the Internet.

"It's very easy to use," said Falcon. "It actually grows your ridership dramatically. It's really convenient."

Falcon called current fare-evasion enforcement in B.C. "a joke," with evaders giving bogus names and refusing to pay $173 fines.

Transit cops in London criminally charge evaders if they give wrong names and levy on-the-spot fines. Falcon wants a similar system here.

"Your fare-evasion figures drop to single figures overnight," he said. "The fact is, it's too easy for people not to pay today. It has a corrosive effect on the honest people."

Fare-evaders cost TransLink up to $7 million a year.

Falcon said he's also relying on municipalities to increase police presence around SkyTrain stations.

TransLink chairman Malcolm Brodie welcomed the turnstiles, smart-card system and toughening the fare-evasion regimen.

"I believe it's a matter of safety and security," he said. "And the perception and the reality of security will increase with the gated system."

Brodie said smart cards are "inevitable."

"Not only will the smart-card system support the turnstile system, I believe it will result in greater fare collection, and it will result in greater convenience to the public."

Meanwhile, commuters at the Waterfront SkyTrain station yesterday said the proposals make sense.

"I think turnstiles are a good idea," said SkyTrain rider Sharon Farrar, 50, of Port Coquitlam.

"Too many people are getting a free ride," she added.

Farrar also said more security cameras and more transit cops are welcome.

"There's no problem with more security if you aren't doing anything wrong," she said.

Jason Beck, 26, uses the SkyTrain regularly and wonders if fare cheats will be stopped by turnstiles.

"I think a lot of people will jump over the turnstiles," he said.

And he said he has more safety concerns when on buses.

"I think buses are worse than SkyTrains," he said.

"The stations are secure and most of the attacks are happening outside of the SkyTrain stations," he pointed out.

Summerland resident Krista Plomish, 35, in Vancouver on business, said she prefers to use the SkyTrain rather than her car.

She likes the system but knows ugly incidents happen.

"I have concerns about taking the SkyTrain at certain hours. More security is a good idea."

Falcon said he doesn't know the final cost of the security measures but will make sure TransLink gets the money to pull it off.

- Falcon also said he is thinking of starting random checks of vehicles and passengers prior to boarding B.C. Ferries to thwart terrorists.

"You can't check every vehicle and car," he said. "But there are random checks that could be undertaken. There are different ways you could approach it, that create real nervousness amongst people that have nefarious intentions."

jbermingham@png.canwest.com

• 4 weeks later...

37293240wz5.jpg

60266842ma4.jpg

17660134ac2.jpg

clinetrainrt9.jpg

The train.

insidexh3.jpg

The interior.

seatlo7.jpg

The seats.

mapra7.jpg

The map of the line. We can't quite see downtown though, so we will have to wait a little longer to see how it illustrates the connection to the existing SkyTrain lines. You can see the twinned Expo and Millennium SkyTrain lines on the bottom right of the map. The new map does not show the #99 B-Line BRT route along Broadway, which is a surprising and unfortunate omission considering its importance.

happycamperkj3.jpg

Transport Minister Kevin Falcon looks like he is a happy camper. Who wouldn't enjoy unveiling new trains?

mr x,

would you mind to explain some of the meanings of the used words in this context?

what is a "bored tunnel", "elevated", "at grade"?

A bored tunnel is basically a drilled tunnel, just like the Chunnel between France and England. Here in Vancouver it was bored under False Creek - there's actually going to be two tunnels. Bored tunnel comes from the name of the boring machine which is pretty much a big drill the digs out the tunnel.

Elevated means that it is up high on concrete pillars - like the Expo and Millenium line of Skytrain. However, for some reason, the Canada Line utilizes different propulsion technology from the Skytrain lines. I guess this was a cost saving factor. Maybe mr x can enlighten us.

"At Grade" means that it is on the ground. A good example are the tracks in the yard at the servicing facility.

A bored tunnel is basically a drilled tunnel, just like the Chunnel between France and England. Here in Vancouver it was bored under False Creek - there's actually going to be two tunnels. Bored tunnel comes from the name of the boring machine which is pretty much a big drill the digs out the tunnel.

Elevated means that it is up high on concrete pillars - like the Expo and Millenium line of Skytrain. However, for some reason, the Canada Line utilizes different propulsion technology from the Skytrain lines. I guess this was a cost saving factor. Maybe mr x can enlighten us.

"At Grade" means that it is on the ground. A good example are the tracks in the yard at the servicing facility.

ahh - o.k. - thanks for your help

To further add, the tunnel boring pit is also the site of Olympic Village Station and currently, the tunnel boring machine is just south of Vancouver City Centre Station and should be passing through the station anytime soon. The entire tunnel boring process should be done early-2008, in which the boring machine could be transferred to another subway extension project in the region - Broadway M-Line extension.

Here's the tunnel boring machine, Sweet Leilani, before it did its first pass about a year ago...this is also Olympic Village Station:

188.JPG

1084.jpg

The Canada Line uses the standard third rail propulsion system rather than the much more complex linear propulsion system SkyTrain uses...and considering SkyTrain requires extreme precision because of the magnet plate on the track. And for one thing, it's a lot cheaper....the SNC-Lavalin bid was $1.7 billion compared to Bombardier's $2.5 billion SkyTrain. They also decided to use larger trains, trains that are nearly a metre wider than SkyTrain's, so it wouldn't have been compatible anyway....and any track switch between the SkyTrain lines and the Canada Line would have to be an underground connection in downtown, which would have been extremely expensive.

The reason why there's an at-grade/ground level guideway at the airport is because YVR is planning to build an elevated taxiway overpass over the road and rail line to the airport, that would connect the north and south runways so planes don't have to go all around to get to the other side.

• 1 month later...

From Global BC:

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/bc/story.ht...8d7&k=44115

Man dies in crane collapse along Canada Line

Darah Hansen, Vancouver Sun

VANCOUVER / A 22-year-old man is dead after the crane he was operating along the Canada Line tipped over, pinning him underneath.

“It’s just a horrible day,” said Steve Crombie, spokesman for InTransitBC, the company contracted to design and construct the new rapid-transit line.

"A guy who came to work this morning and expected to go home tonight, isn’t going home. Nothing is worth that,” he said.

The accident happened around noon today.

The crane, located midway along the bridge deck on North Arm span between Richmond and Vancouver, was being used to deliver a bucket of material from off the main deck to a pedestrian walkway being contructed below.

Somehow, said Crombie, “the crane lost its centre of gravity. It tipped over and he [the crane operator] was trapped in the cab and crushed.”

All work been temporarily stopped along the construction line as several investigations into what went wrong get underway.

Police and fire crews are currently on scene, as are officials with Worksafe BC and the coroner’s service.

Crombie said InTransitBC will also launch its own internal investigation into the situation.

It is the first fatality during the Canada Line construction.

The name of the accident victim has not yet been released.

Crombie said the man was a certified crane operator. He had worked on the Canada Line for the past five months.

Terrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go to his/her family, friends, and co-workers.

I remember hearing about one fatality during the Millennium Line construction as well, a worker fell off the guideway. But it's just how construction business is...i have a friend who works part-time as a tradesman, and he was told by his boss that he has a 1 in 20 chance of being killed.

• 4 weeks later...