Vancouver's New Subway: Canada Line

mr.x

Construction started in late-2005. The new line is on-time, and on-budget and will be in revenue operation by November 29, 2009. It runs from Downtown Vancouver to the airport and to Downtown Richmond (location of Olympic Oval).

This is a unique line and a first for Canada: it will be a privately operated line (for the next 35 years) with the corporate sector contributing $700 million to this $2 billion project. The private operator, which is designing and building the line, is responsible for all cost overruns. The line will carry 100,000 passengers daily in 2010, and 140,000 by 2021.

It has 16 stations, is 19 kms long, and half of it is underground while the other half is mostly elevated.

The trains are the same model that were ordered for the Athens Metro, leading up to the 2004 Olympics. The Canada Line trains are manufactured by Rotem/Hyundai in South Korea.

Canada_Line_Route_Map13452.gif

1573.JPG

1564.JPG

1572.JPG

1571.JPG

1565.JPG

1569.JPG

1568.JPG

1566.JPG

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richmond

Aberdeen Station

KICX1701.jpg

Bridgeport Station/track switches

1078.JPG

Operations & Maintenance Centre

KICX1636.jpg

North Arm Bridge

1600.JPG

1496.JPG

Sea Island Centre Station at airport

KICX1134.jpg

YVR-Airport Station - terminus

KICX1320.jpg

Templeton Station at airport

KICX1163.jpg

Middle Arm Bridge

KICX0922.jpg

I haven't rode Sky Train in years. What's the current ticket price from Surry all the way to Canada Place including the Seabus? Do they know what the ticket price will be for the Canada Line yet?

I haven't rode Sky Train in years. What's the current ticket price from Surry all the way to Canada Place including the Seabus? Do they know what the ticket price will be for the Canada Line yet?

Well, the tickets last for 90 minutes as you know. That's three zones so it's $4.50 from Surrey to all the way to North Vancouver, which isn't that bad considering fuel prices and parking costs.

The Canada Line will use the same fare pricing as Translink. It's tied into the existing fare zone prices. It's free traveling within Sea Island. Within Vancouver, that's just one zone for $2.25. From Vancouver to Sea Island or Richmond to Sea Island, it's two zones thus $3.25.

Weekdays after 6:30pm and all day Sat/Sun/Holidays, it's the price of one zone at all times ($2.25).

I take it that the new trains will have some sort of 2010 wrap advertisement on them like the new ferries?

Perhaps.

I can tell you though the new trains for the Canada Line will only be partially painted. The head of the trains will be painted with a blue design, but the remainder of the body will be stainless steel grey.

:rolleyes: Thanks MR X ,

You did awesome work on the maps and the pictures....putting it all there for us.. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, agenthuggles, Mr. X did not "put it all there for us" . . . . he left out the rest of the story - the human tragedy of this government make work project as he spun his pr thread.

I lay in bed last night listening to the headline news on the late radio news as the announcer sadly relayed the bankruptcies of the majority of small business owners along Cambie Street that have been driven out of business - with no government compensation for their losses. There is a class action lawsuit in the works. Downtown Vancouver has been turned into a war zone.

This mega pet project dates back to Mr. Dobell's vision, the former Premier's aide while he was Mayor, later his Deputy Minister & now his high paid consultant with a private desk in the Premier's Office - the same fellow who headed up the Trade & Convention Centre sinking in red ink (still on the Board of Dir.) now replaced by the Premier's other associate, David Podmore, President of Concert Properties; of course the same Jack Poole's Concert Properties, CEO of Vanoc, leading Vanoc down multi avenues of inside deals - even having the gall to bid on one of the athletes villages in Downtown Vancouver, until they were caught in a conflict of interest - plain to all but Concert Properties, Vanoc & the Govt circles. :blink:

Bad dreams indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
Great pictures! It's really starting to come together. My wife has an office on Cambie - can't wait for the street to be restored there. The target for restoration is November 30th for the Cambie Village area.

It won't be happening unfortunately. The Canada Line officials promised it during the summer that it would be done and repaved before Christmas, but repaving was suppose to be done during the summer and early fall. The city is responsible for repaving the roads but they weren't expecting a strike, and now we're into wet and cold weather. In order to pave roads, you need dry and warm weather.....they have to wait until April, thanks to the city's workers. IMO, we should've pulled a Regan and fired them all.

Ah yes - I forgot about the weather required for paving. Just last week Canada Line stepped things up and started working overnight to reach the target. If they can't pave it anyway, I wonder what the rush is? At least the trench will be filled back in.

Oh puleez! Sam Sullivan (mayor disappointment) gets most of the blame. Within hours of saying a 5 year deal wasn't possible, other municipalities started agreeing to 5 year deals. Then his stoopid pride prevented any sort of mea culpa. He decided early on he'd win the battle for public opinion in the media.

He didn't.

However, after so many weeks, both sides look bad. We need binding arbitration here in BC

It won't be happening unfortunately. The Canada Line officials promised it during the summer that it would be done and repaved before Christmas, but repaving was suppose to be done during the summer and early fall. The city is responsible for repaving the roads but they weren't expecting a strike, and now we're into wet and cold weather. In order to pave roads, you need dry and warm weather.....they have to wait until April, thanks to the city's workers. IMO, we should've pulled a Regan and fired them all.

Oh puleez! Sam Sullivan (mayor disappointment) gets most of the blame. Within hours of saying a 5 year deal wasn't possible, other municipalities started agreeing to 5 year deals. Then his stoopid pride prevented any sort of mea culpa. He decided early on he'd win the battle for public opinion in the media.

He didn't.

However, after so many weeks, both sides look bad. We need binding arbitration here in BC

The deal the union wanted included that no member could be fired - no matter what. The fact is public sector workers shouldn't be complaining, they're already a lot better of with wages, work hours, vacation, benefits, etc. than most who work with the private sector.

Who do you want for mayor? Jim Sinclair?

The deal the union wanted included that no member could be fired - no matter what. The fact is public sector workers shouldn't be complaining, they're already a lot better of with wages, work hours, vacation, benefits, etc. than most who work with the private sector.

Who do you want for mayor? Jim Sinclair?

Just make Mr X Mayor. :lol: .he seems to have all the answers, all the pictures, and thinks he knows everthing.

No concern over us taxpayers....he must be the goverments right hand man... This is Olympics for the one's participating, not a free show.. enough money, and way over budget is going ---going===and gone.

The pictures are using up our space on the forums...

The pictures are using up our space on the forums...

And your posts quoting quotes back and forth really provide alot of useful information... throwing stones when you live in glass houses isn't really wise.

No pictures in a thread that is dedicated to the construction of the canada line would be rather ridiculous don't you?

And your posts quoting quotes back and forth really provide alot of useful information... throwing stones when you live in glass houses isn't really wise.

No pictures in a thread that is dedicated to the construction of the canada line would be rather ridiculous don't you?

"If the shoe fits wear it" If you live there you see it in real, and you do. It has caused so much hassele, and then blaming the union.

Seems only select few are allowed to do what they want. I have seen pictures of the buses,stadium, and so on. So if I comment on all, and believe me, I have seen the other Forums .

All this here is showing me and the viewers is 'THE MONEY AND TAXES" How many business's and homes have been shoved out? Are you aware of that?? No pictures of that... streets being torn up, and still.

All Vancouver is in the red, and going deeper... for what? For the Olympics?? We will be paying forever on this.

I have to get back to my work....not even worth answering any of these.

If things don't go your way or MrX way or others , you down my words...Life is too short, but I will keep these going..Viewers have to know I am against the taxes...and how our Goverment is running this.

"If the shoe fits wear it" If you live there you see it in real, and you do. It has caused so much hassele, and then blaming the union.

Seems only select few are allowed to do what they want. I have seen pictures of the buses,stadium, and so on. So if I comment on all, and believe me, I have seen the other Forums .

All this here is showing me and the viewers is 'THE MONEY AND TAXES" How many business's and homes have been shoved out? Are you aware of that?? No pictures of that... streets being torn up, and still.

All Vancouver is in the red, and going deeper... for what? For the Olympics?? We will be paying forever on this.

I have to get back to my work....not even worth answering any of these.

If things don't go your way or MrX way or others , you down my words...Life is too short, but I will keep these going..Viewers have to know I am against the taxes...and how our Goverment is running this.

Was there not a referendum to see if people wanted the Olympics? Yes, there was and by a majority vote, people said they were in favour of Vancouver hosting the games. Get over it. This is obviously what the people want.

^ not only that but what taxes have been increased to pay for the Olympic and related infrastructure projects? None.

The province can currently handle a lot more on its tab with multi-billion surpluses in the past few years. This year, the province has a surplus of $4 BILLION.

Even the province is going ahead with other projects that cost a lot more than all of the Olympic projects combined....namely, the $3 billion Gateway highway expansion project. Though the Canada Line will cost $2 billion, the province is responsible for only $400 million and the private contractor/operator is responsible for all construction overruns - which have so far amounted to $300 million. And with regards to provincial Olympic costs, the province has a tab of around $700 million.

The only way we would be paying for it "forever" is if $700 million turned out to be $7 billion, which it isn't. Most of these expenditures are capital infrastructure projects that will benefit everyone for decades to come after the Olympics are over.

^ not only that but what taxes have been increased to pay for the Olympic and related infrastructure projects? None.

The province can currently handle a lot more on its tab with multi-billion surpluses in the past few years. This year, the province has a surplus of $4 BILLION.

Even the province is going ahead with other projects that cost a lot more than all of the Olympic projects combined....namely, the $3 billion Gateway highway expansion project. Though the Canada Line will cost $2 billion, the province is responsible for only $400 million and the private contractor/operator is responsible for all construction overruns - which have so far amounted to $300 million. And with regards to provincial Olympic costs, the province has a tab of around $700 million.

The only way we would be paying for it "forever" is if $700 million turned out to be $7 billion, which it isn't. Most of these expenditures are capital infrastructure projects that will benefit everyone for decades to come after the Olympics are over.

Thanks Mayor X........We all know you are so wrong.....Why then don't they take care the poor and elderly???

Read the paper Mr X..more in it today..... Highest taxed and more coming!!!!

Where do you think the money comes from...HEAVEN??? :lol: