Heiberg: Preparations For 2010 Are Going So Well, It's Boring!

mr.x

ROD MICKLEBURGH

Globe & Mail

September 28, 2007

Vancouver, which spent about $33-million on its successful bid, is the largest city to host the Winter Games so far.

Mr. Heiberg said Vancouver will have to work hard to envelop such a large urban area, with little likelihood of snow, in the Olympic spirit.

"But I feel there is a lot of support for the Games here. If there are enough billboards and things like that, and a positive atmosphere, people will be cheering and happy ... I hope it will not rain."

In a candid admission, Mr. Heiberg said he was not a fan of the decision to hold the opening and closing ceremonies inside for the first time in Olympic history at cavernous, domed B.C. Place.

"I had difficulty digesting that. It's the Winter Games. The opening and closing ceremonies should be outdoors," he said. "But [Vancouver Organizing Committee head] John Furlong and others convinced me that it was the best thing to do. So I have to accept that."

He said smaller Whistler, where skiing and sliding events will take place, will have an easier time establishing an intimate, Winter Games atmosphere, surrounded as it is by snow-capped mountains.

"Callaghan Valley [site of cross-country and biathlon events] is fantastic. It fits so well into nature, I was amazed." In fact, preparations for the 2010 Games are progressing so well, it's boring, Mr. Heiberg said with a wry smile. "We'd like there to be some challenges, so we [the IOC] could shout at them."

He smiled again at the mention of the only current controversy surrounding the Games, the furor over provocative remarks about immigrants made by music promoter Bruce Allen, a member of the Olympics creative team.

IOC likes highway expansion

By BOB MACKIN -- Sun Media

The man whose criticism of the Sea to Sky Highway prompted the $670 million pre-Olympic widening likes what he sees.

"You're getting a fantastic road," said Gerhard Heiberg, who led the International Olympic Committee's evaluation commission in 2003. "It's not too far, it's a little far."

Heiberg caused controversy at the time when he said travel time between Vancouver and Whistler was the bid's biggest hurdle. Construction began shortly before the IOC chose Vancouver over bids from PyeongChang, South Korea, and Salzburg, Austria.

Heiberg, president of the 1994 Winter Games in Lillehammer, Norway, now heads the IOC's marketing commission. He spoke yesterday to the Richmond Chamber of Commerce after touring the $178- million Richmond Speedskating Oval construction site.

He applauded plans to convert the building into a multisport facility after the Games. By comparison, "We do not have enough sports to fill [Lillehammer's oval] afterwards, we had a lot of different activities, like antique shows, horse shows, even have car rallies in there."

Heiberg said the IOC's biggest challenge is next year's Summer Games in Beijing. China sought the Games to spur national unity and "become an international citizen." He acknowledged China faces criticism for its human rights record, but rejects calls for an international boycott. The Olympics, he said, are "the best medicine for the time being."

Another toast to VANOC! :lol:

Heads up everyone:

Check out the Callaghan Valley Nordic Scandal Part II thread re: what was discovered about who specifically, was blocked by the Vancouver/Whistler Bid Committee from sharing critical evidence with the Mr. Heiberg & his associates during his visit in 2003 while he heading the IOC Technical Team prior to the Prague Bid selection - now directly linked to an active RCMP Commercial Crime file now in play!!!!

It's an eye popper. :unsure:

Who knew what folks????? Stinky poo poo . . .

Heads up everyone:

Check out the Callaghan Valley Nordic Scandal Part II thread re: what was discovered about who specifically, was blocked by the Vancouver/Whistler Bid Committee from sharing critical evidence with the Mr. Heiberg & his associates during his visit in 2003 while he heading the IOC Technical Team prior to the Prague Bid selection - now directly linked to an active RCMP Commercial Crime file now in play!!!!

It's an eye popper. :unsure:

Who knew what folks????? Stinky poo poo . . .

Even I am NOT interested in your posts, dear. Try changing tactics or subjects.

Listen up, boys:

For the record, here's a special message just for you two twits:

image0111111.jpg

Now go back to your sandbox & babble on to each other. . .I have conditioned myself to tuning out your twittering :rolleyes:

P.S. 'Xey' - actually . . . your pic tickled me - just the wrong gender

HINT: Try anger management, my friend - it might help LOL :rolleyes:

So Ears... As has been been kindly pointed out before, can you stay on topic. This article has nothing to do with Mr.X's original post, other then a brief reference to the progress in the Callaghan Valley.

Stop 'spamming' your article because you have no new information to post.

Heads up everyone: