Sochi's "russsia-shaped" Island

Sir Rols

Looks like Sochi is going to do a Dubai and build an artificial island in the shape of Russia:

SOCHI, Russia, Sept 22, 2007 (AFP) - Russian developers outlined plans on Saturday for a 350-hectare artificial island in the shape of Russia to be built off the Black Sea coast near the future Olympic venue Sochi.

Federation Island is expected to house around 25,000 people in apartments and villas and is to be completed in time for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, said its designer, Dutch architect Erick van Egeraat.

It will have two marinas, three religious centres, roads, parkland and artificial rivers, the latter designed to mimic some of the major rivers of Russia.

``Building something in existing houses, within existing agreements is harder than building something new,'' van Egeraat said as he outlined the project on the sidelines of a weekend economic forum.

The project will cost around 6.2 billion dollars (4.4 billion euros) and is to be located along the coastline near to where many Olympic complexes are also planned.

Construction is due to start next year and developers M-Industry, based in Saint Petersburg, said the project had all the funding in place.

An official from the Krasnodar regional administration where Sochi is located, Yury Rysin, described it as ``a unique project for our country.''

``It's a great idea that will hopefully be built,'' he said.

The Russian state has undertaken to spend billions of dollars (euros) in upgrading the region's ageing Soviet-era infrastructure, including new roads and telecommunications.

Property prices in Sochi have already risen by up to 40 percent since the city won the right earlier this year to host the Winter Olympics, while the region is attracting interest from international developers and hoteliers.

Hmmm _ wonder if they'll be able to add on extra land at a latter date if they ever decide to "reclaim" lost Russian territory?

They have to add the Russian shaped island on to the island otherwise it's not a true representation is it? And then on to the island of the island another island and then onto that another smaller island and then onto that an even smaller island....you get the picture.

They have to add the Russian shaped island on to the island otherwise it's not a true representation is it? And then on to the island of the island another island and then onto that another smaller island and then onto that an even smaller island....you get the picture.

It looks like the Kurils are in, and Japan as well as great chunks of Europe are behind the iron curtain. I see another boycot coming.....

With the kind of money Russia has nowadays, I am beginning to wonder what is going to be the first priorities of the country. This is starting to look like the way China is preparing for the 2008 Olympic Games. In other words, billions of dollars (in US currency) going into this and other Olympic projects. Could we be seeing another "$40-Billion US" overall mega-project scenario here, like the one in China?

Wha' 'choo talkin' 'bout Moose? Japan isn't on that.

You're right. I was just trying to make a joke about the molo they plan to have around mother Russia, which heraldicly reminds me about the iron curtain of the past, and which would be beyond Japan and large parts of Europe if everything is drawn to scale. Maybe the jury is still up whether Japan and Europe should be nuked or included at some later stage (sorry, bad joke again I guess).

In other words, billions of dollars (in US currency) going into this and other Olympic projects.

Btw, this is NOT an Olympic-related project (it is not in the bid-book). The timing may be shifted to after 2014 if this construction interferes with the actual Olympic infrastructure, which is by far the priority.

Btw, this is NOT an Olympic-related project (it is not in the bid-book). The timing may be shifted to after 2014 if this construction interferes with the actual Olympic infrastructure, which is by far the priority.

Who knows and I agree with Jon's statement there. Most of us are mainly looking at the way Beijing is preparing for those Games. Most of that big overall cost is likely not even Olympic-related, but they are doing it anyway.

Most of that big overall cost is likely not even Olympic-related, but they are doing it anyway.

of course. they said it from the beginning. the budget for the olympic venues and supporting stuff is under $1.5 bln, everything else from $12bln gov't promised to invest is infrastructure projects. and they are saying that this number (12) will most likely go up.

however, if i remeber correctly, the Federation Island is not paid for by the gov't, it is a private project.

however, if i remeber correctly, the Federation Island is not paid for by the gov't, it is a private project.

OK, a couple of clarifications.

1) The $12B amount does include the capital costs of Olympic venues.

2) A 40% share of the $12B comes from private sources.

Most of us are mainly looking at the way Beijing is preparing for those Games.

I agree that the Sochi-Beijing analogy is relevant both in terms of a 'showcase' approach and a great legacy potential.

1) The $12B amount does include the capital costs of Olympic venues.

2) A 40% share of the $12B comes from private sources.

right, but Federation Island is not part of any Olympic-related plans, so it's construction will not be funded from the $12B -- the money pledged for the inferastructure and the venues, is that correct?

• 4 weeks later...

ugh, they're copying Dubai...and couldn't they just enjoy the natural scenery instead?

i'd hate to wonder what Moscow would've spent if they won the 2012 Summer Games.....and yet, these are only the Winter Games and they're spending how much?

Russia can only complete these mega venues by being as efficient as Beijing....otherwise, i'm quite sure this could be the next Athens.

Don't forget, mr.x, that Moscow is wanting to win the bid for the 2010 Youth Olympic Games, too.

well, i doubt the IOC would award the first YOG to the nation that will be hosting the real thing in four years, assuming it stays in Sochi.

i'd hate to wonder what Moscow would've spent if they won the 2012 Summer Games.....

not nearly as much as for Sochi games. Moscow has it's issues with infrastructure too, but Sochi needs a whole new one, not just for the Games, but to become great year-round resort it always claimed to be. the venues price tag sounds so little comparing to all the other planned projects...

You may not, baron, but I heard in the grapevine that Sochi is one of the most favorite destinations among Europeans. Like one member that has mentioned it here some time ago, Sochi and area is one part of Russia that "is unknown to the rest of the world." That is, until the city won the 2014 bid.

Archived