Progression Of Ceremonial Ideas & Trends

baron-pierreIV

(and I am a widely traveled, well-read, college-educated 'Renaissance' man),

who has a curious habit of displaying contempt (at best) or hate (at worst) at whatever/whoever he doesn't understand or agree with...

Another thing: Ceremonies are SPECTACLES...you SHOULDN'T have to think. These are not movies where you pay $9 or $10. These are LIVE spectacles where you pay hundreds of $$$s to witness something NEVER before assembled -- NOT 1 actor holding some cheap little prop which from a distant seat, as wingspread said: you couldn't possibly see anyway. I just hope that's the last of those pseudo, REALLY pretentious 'Ceremonies.'

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

However some may think that a spectacle can be both entertaining and also makes one think. BTW, if you have seen somewhere before a spectacle like Athens which were trully innovative in the way they occupy the space in the stadium (meaning all the blocks moving in the air, being used to project images, the 3D projection of the DNA on a cloud of water), please tell me where.

The beauty of the Olympics ceremonies is that they are a great opportunity to display a country's culture to the world. Phylosophy, sculptures are part of what Greece gave to the world. We had something different in Atlanta, in Sydney (where I had to be explained who Ned Kelly was BTW) and I exepct something fully different again in Beijing.

who has a curious habit of displaying contempt (at best) or hate (at worst) at whatever/whoever he doesn't understand or agree with...

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

However some may think that a spectacle can be both entertaining and also makes one think. BTW, if you have seen somewhere before a spectacle like Athens which were trully innovative in the way they occupy the space in the stadium (meaning all the blocks moving in the air, being used to project images, the 3D projection of the DNA on a cloud of water), please tell me where.

The beauty of the Olympics ceremonies is that they are a great opportunity to display a country's culture to the world. Phylosophy, sculptures are part of what Greece gave to the world. We had something different in Atlanta, in Sydney (where I had to be explained who Ned Kelly was BTW) and I exepct something fully different again in Beijing.

I know I am very opinionated, and I am most comfortable with that. It's up to you how strong you express your opinions -- and I may still not buy them. ;)

There were certain beautiful, unique, ingenious moments of Athens 2004. But they seemed to be very sporadic. To me, all the elements of the Ceremony seemed disjointed; like they were trying too hard to make it a unique event. The individual parts, some of which were indeed ingenious, just didn't add up to a cohesive whole. And on TV, the whatever the name of that thing was...Klepydystra or Chlamydia... was very static. Altho (like you) I would've wished to have seen the Dress Rehearsal, I'm glad I didn't end up paying a lot of $$$ for what I thought was a less than outstanding OC.

Looking forward, I think Beijing's show will truly be a jaw-dropper.

S698.jpg

S700.jpg

S704.jpg

It was the opening act of the Ceremony.

The text, pronounced in French and performed in deaf language, was something like : "Ladies and Gentlemen, we invite you to take part in the 16th Olympic Winter Games. Albertville, Savoy and France are happy to welcome the spectators and viewers from around the world. Today are gathered here athletes from around the world. In the name of the Organizing Committee, we wish them a warm welcome and wish them success. Long live the Olympics."

As for Flying Elements, you omitted one of the greatest. This!

t6y1rt.jpg

Ahhh, yes. How can i forgot that? Probably the most beautiful performance at the closing (some people thinks that this sequence had to be put at the OC instead of the CC). I got it recorded, maybe i'm going to publish it someday

About Klepsydra...the problem of that segment is that, if you were one of the spectators there and you had to be sit on one of the worst places, you couldn't enjoy (or even watch) much of this segment, which looked more better in TV. Anyway there are some video records of guys who went to the OC and show us an idea about how one would feel there.

By the way Jeremie and Baron, thanks for your help :P

I know i'm being annoying with Albertville, but i find something very interesting about the OC, they had probably the most ingenious announcements of all. Instead of the traditional and formal ones, they used some kind of poetry to them (in both french and english), they did it even when a team was entering during the parade of nations. Some guy named Fran├žois Rollin created the announcements. You can watch all of the texts in this website: http://www.ou-pas.net/rollin_inedit_albertville.htm

As for Flying Elements, you omitted one of the greatest. This!

t6y1rt.jpg

I did AND did not forget about that. Goes to show you how much of an impression it made. However, my criterion for 'flying elements' in Ceremonies was: (1) that it be suspended by wires or some stagecraft -- not some gust of wind; and (2) that it somehow had an integral connection with the rest of the show -- not just for the point of saying: Look, we actually got somebody flying!!

(Besides, that kinda was 'cheating.' I mean any old monkey could put in a strong air machine but it would take a couple of orangutans to set up the complicated rigging of a Sydney or an Athens. :lol: Besides, Rocketman in LA already did this sort of thing better and with more agility.) ;)

I should answer: then, why should I care about why you posted that? (Y r people starting to sound like the snide cfmjeremie? I could be equally snide. :angry: )

Well, 1. this is my thread -- and you presented it here -- and thanks for that.

2. Now just as you are free to post it, I am free to qualify why I did NOT include it in my list. It's not just a laundry list of what happened.

Similarly, there are others that have not been included. There are certain qualifying factors I am going after.

• 2 weeks later...
Another thing: Ceremonies are SPECTACLES...you SHOULDN'T have to think. These are not movies where you pay $9 or $10. These are LIVE spectacles where you pay hundreds of $$$s to witness something NEVER before assembled -- NOT 1 actor holding some cheap little prop which from a distant seat.

Have you already seen the 2004 Paralympic Games OC videos uploaded by Christos? I think the 'Journey to the Sun' is the only thing from the entire Athens 2004 artistic arsenal that comes close to your preferences. The tried and tested nature theme and music isn't really much, but I think that segment was really nice visually with all those light and laser effects.

Then again I could be wrong (please don't scream at me! :D).

Have you already seen the 2004 Paralympic Games OC videos uploaded by Christos? I think the 'Journey to the Sun' is the only thing from the entire Athens 2004 artistic arsenal that comes close to your preferences. The tried and tested nature theme and music isn't really much, but I think that segment was really nice visually with all those light and laser effects.

Then again I could be wrong (please don't scream at me! :D).

First off, let me say that due to their 'second-class citizen' stature in the eyes of the IOC, and therefore, their 'poor-man budget' given by the local organizing committee, I do not find it fair to compare Paralympic events to the 'normal' Olympic events. That goes for Ceremonies, too. Having said that, OK, I watched cristos' uploaded videos. (But I really have a hard time because the audio is in Greek -- and it doesn't add to my understanding or enjoyment of the proceedings I am looking at.)

Here are a few random thoughts:

- what is that (the Journey to the Sun segments)? Where is the SUN?

- too many things are hidden and obscured in the shadows! And what are these the Bluemen and Bluewomen?

- Are they interpreting Manet's...oh, what's his famous Impressionist painting about "Breakfast in the Grass" or something like that?

- are these the Oompah-Loompahs let loose? Or

- is this a more artsy-fartsy morning yoga-stretching video?

It just couldn't grab my attention. What were they trying to impart?

One thing I'll say in the broken-up viewing I had of the 2004 Paralympic Opening Ceremony vs. the regular Olympic OC (of Athens): there was more joy and spontaneity in the Paralympic goings-on than in the regular OOC. But in the few Paralympic ceremonies that I've seen, it still begs the question: these are the Games of and for the handicapped -- why are full bodied people performing? What? They cannot trust the physically-challenged to interpret and convey their own messages and drama? :blink:

Seems very patronizing again.

Archived