KUALA LUMPUR , MALAYSA

Kenadian

Malaysia would becoming a DEVELOPED COUNTRY IN THE YEAR 2020. Her Capital, Kuala Lumpur (KL) is ready to host any kind of WORLD CLASS EVENTS since KL 1998 but the question is: WOULD KL BID AND WIN THE SUMMER OLYMPICS 2020?! OR MAYBE 2016 OR 2024?!

And do you think it might going to be PUTRAJAYA 2020 / 2016 / 2024 INSTEAD OF KUALA LUMPUR 2020 / 2016 / 2024?! We cant just hope on ONE SINGLE CITY! Take the UK as example (The size of the UK is almost same as Malaysia), They do not count on LONDON only. They have other cities like MANCHESTER and GLASGOW and CARDIFF and BELFAST. Other countries that are almost same size as Malaysia - Italy : ROMA, MILAN, NAPLES and PALERMO. Korea : SEOUL and BUSAN and JAPAN : TOKYO, OSAKA, SAPPORO, NAGOYA, FUKUOKA (JAPAN has almost same size as MALAYSIA but has so many cities and thats just half of them).

So, can we just count on KL only? or to add another city, PUTRAJAYA?!

Now, maybe I should brush up on my South Asian geography, but I've never heard of that second city.  And let's remember how successful the British bids of 1992, 1996 and 2000 were.  I would think given the fact that KL is moderately known in the world, has a number of well known landmarks, is quite modern, made a success of the 1998 CG's and took a stab at the Olympics of 2008 that they stand the best shot of bringing Malaysia its first Olympics.  But as for a time frame for bidding - the 2020's.

administrative city?  that would be worse than Brasília bidding instead of Rio, or Ottawa instead of Toronto.  any country in the region (and now we're seeing the world in general) would do best to bid with its largest/most-known city.

It's foolish for Malaysia to bid with Putrajaya. It's not even the capital (yet). But I would agree that Putrajaya to host the canoe/kayak events... the setting for these events would be great. It would be the greatest venue in Olympic history for these events. ;)

The can also host a number of exhibition and indoor events at the spanking new and ultramodern Putrajaya Convention Centre that hosted the NAM and OIC Assemblies in 2003.

Putrajaya is within 15-20km from the National Sports Complex that hosted the KL98 CGs.

They can also have the road cycling race around Putrajaya all the way to KL hehe... not that it's never been done.. it's been done every year.. part of the Le Tour de Langkawi race.. (

http://www.tdl.com.my

Malaysia would becoming a DEVELOPED COUNTRY IN THE YEAR 2020. Her Capital, Kuala Lumpur (KL) is ready to host any kind of WORLD CLASS EVENTS since KL 1998 but the question is: WOULD KL BID AND WIN THE SUMMER OLYMPICS 2020?! OR MAYBE 2016 OR 2024?!

And do you think it might going to be PUTRAJAYA 2020 / 2016 / 2024 INSTEAD OF KUALA LUMPUR 2020 / 2016 / 2024?! We cant just hope on ONE SINGLE CITY! Take the UK as example (The size of the UK is almost same as Malaysia), They do not count on LONDON only. They have other cities like MANCHESTER and GLASGOW and CARDIFF and BELFAST. Other countries that are almost same size as Malaysia - Italy : ROMA, MILAN, NAPLES and PALERMO. Korea : SEOUL and BUSAN and JAPAN : TOKYO, OSAKA, SAPPORO, NAGOYA, FUKUOKA (JAPAN has almost same size as MALAYSIA but has so many cities and thats just half of them).

So, can we just count on KL only? or to add another city, PUTRAJAYA?!

THE MAIN QUESTION WAS: Malaysia would becoming a DEVELOPED COUNTRY IN THE YEAR 2020. Her Capital, Kuala Lumpur (KL) is ready to host any kind of WORLD CLASS EVENTS since KL 1998 but the question is: WOULD KL BID AND WIN THE SUMMER OLYMPICS 2020?! OR MAYBE 2016 OR 2024?! :laughlong:  :P

Well.... although i really want KL to host the summer games.... but i am afraid that there still many competitive cities like Osaka, Pusan, Bangkok and others to become the next Asian host city.... So it seems to be very hard for KL to host any Olympics at the moment :rock:

:) Malaysia's "Vision 20/20" plan was unveiled during the 1998 Commonwealth Games opening ceremony(a spectacular event in itself). The plan was to be an accepted first world nation by 2020.  Such events like the Summer Olympics were to celebrate the coming of age for this Country.

Although the '20 games are Kuala Lumpa's target, I believe they would fail against a strong bid from South Africa or Brazil if a frontier Games was to be chosen.  KL will still keep trying though and by watching what is going to be a spectacular 2008 games, this will encourge Malaysia to go hard out as it is in this region where posturising and flashing one's wealth is how things are done.

Malaysia would need to build up a good rapport with it's neighbours in Asia, South East Asia and the Pacific just to get regional support.  The Government is well known to get very aggressive with anyone that criticises it's foreign policies and human rights records. Unlike China, a superpower, Malaysia is still a wannabe and needs to tread carefully.

The Vision 2020 was created in 1990.. a 30-year masterplan to transform Malaysia into a first world nation. Different states in Malaysia has set different targets. Selangor, the most industrialized state in the country has set itself to become a "first world state" by the end of this year. And so far, from several indicated targets set, the state has already accomplished about 85% of what it needs to achieve its goal.

FYI, Selangor, the state where I'm living in currently is home to the Sepang F1 Circuit, KL International Airport, Multimedia Super Corridor and also hosted the 1998 CG's Rugby and Cricket events. among other things.

Archived