$40-million Opening & Closing Ceremonies

mr.x

Nonetheless, the fireworks will go outside (I mean how long can you stand outside on a Winter's night just to watch fireworks? max 10 min.) But a lot more throughout the City on Closing.

Atkins has said he won't use fireworks for the ceremonies, that he'll use something else instead because it's an indoor venue.

I don't understand that logic - indoor venue, so what? It's not an Olympic ceremony without fireworks! And with our waterfront and bridges, we could easily replicate Sydney's fireworks finale.

Hopefully everything we've heard is just preliminary.....there has to be fireworks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atkins has said he won't use fireworks for the ceremonies, that he'll use something else instead because it's an indoor venue.

Don't take the early words of anybody with some 30 months to execute to heart. If anything, the indoor venue will cut down their fireworks budget -- but shouldn't eliminate it entirely.

Don't take the early words of anybody with some 30 months to execute to heart. If anything, the indoor venue will cut down their fireworks budget -- but shouldn't eliminate it entirely.

what about the length of the ceremonies? what they have proposed so far is very short. 2 hrs 30 mins for the opening ceremony and 2 hrs 15 mins for the closing ceremony....compared to Torino and Athens where we saw 3hrs to 3hrs 30 mins and in Sydney and Salt Lake where they had 4-hour long ceremonies.

well, each of the opening and closing ceremonies have a $20-million budget for a total $40-million ceremony budget. i'd like to see them use $1 million for fireworks in the opening and $3 million for the closing.

1. what about the length of the ceremonies? what they have proposed so far is very short. 2 hrs 30 mins for the opening ceremony and 2 hrs 15 mins for the closing ceremony....compared to Torino and Athens where we saw 3hrs to 3hrs 30 mins and in Sydney and Salt Lake where they had 4-hour long ceremonies.

2. well, each of the opening and closing ceremonies have a $20-million budget for a total $40-million ceremony budget. i'd like to see them use $1 million for fireworks in the opening and $3 million for the closing.

1. I don't think they're glued to that. It's just a starting point -- or parameters they want to work with and have to tell the networks the running time. Y r u worried?

2. I don't think it's as cut and dried as X amount for OPening; Y for Closing. What if they use the same costumes? Or say costumes on one side are used for Opening; and the reverse for Closing? It's just a cumulative budget that also includes the Medals Ceremonies -- which thanks to Salt Lake and the thin scheudle of the WOG, now becomes a big event. WHoopee!

Re the fireworks, what are u worried about? That the Ring of Fire is not going to materialize? :rolleyes: For all you know, with the decreased use of fireworks, they just might get an Official Supplier to get them for free. (Remember that in LA in 1984, they were able to hustle the Japanese shipping industry lobby to donate US$500,000 worth of fireworks for the Closing show. )

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Perhaps those ceremonies were deemed as being too long? Besides, the Parade of Athletes must be difficult to time, especially since athletes have stopped marching in military style. I think LA was the last time that happened for Summer and Calgary for Winter - got all messy in Seoul - I sort of miss it.

2. I don't think it's as cut and dried as X amount for OPening; Y for Closing. What if they use the same costumes? Or say costumes on one side are used for Opening; and the reverse for Closing? It's just a cumulative budget that also includes the Medals Ceremonies -- which thanks to Salt Lake and the thin scheudle of the WOG, now becomes a big event. WHoopee!

Good points.

Well, $40 million is set aside for the opening/closing and another $22 million is set aside for the nightly victory ceremonies.

lol, i'll take back my past comments about the ring of fire.

Good points.

Well, $40 million is set aside for the opening/closing and another $22 million is set aside for the nightly victory ceremonies.

lol, i'll take back my past comments about the ring of fire.

Wow! $22 mil for the nightly victory Ceremonies? And would that be in Vancouver and/or Whistler? That's a lot of acts they are going to pay for. Oh, no wonder they have those Canadian music industry honchos on the A-list Creative Team. That's where their expertise will come in.

Also, re the $40 mil for the Ceremonies, I think it'll break down to these (again, these are just VERY rough estimations)

- $3.5 mil reserve, in case of overruns (and if not used, will probably be bonuses for the production & creative brains)

- $10-12 mil: fees for the producers, directors, composers, musicians, designers and the paid, special skill staffers and performers

- the remainder for actual production items: sets, costumes, props (the cauldron), lighting, special effects, etc., etc.

Wow! $22 mil for the nightly victory Ceremonies? And would that be in Vancouver and/or Whistler? That's a lot of acts they are going to pay for. Oh, no wonder they have those Canadian music industry honchos on the A-list Creative Team. That's where their expertise will come in.

Also, re the $40 mil for the Ceremonies, I think it'll break down to these (again, these are just VERY rough estimations)

- $3.5 mil reserve, in case of overruns (and if not used, will probably be bonuses for the production & creative brains)

- $10-12 mil: fees for the producers, directors, composers, musicians, designers and the paid, special skill staffers and performers

- the remainder for actual production items: sets, costumes, props (the cauldron), lighting, special effects, etc., etc.

Whoops, correction:

Olympic Opening/Closing Ceremonies: $40 million

Olympic Nightly-Victory Ceremonies: $18.5 million

Paralympic Ceremonies: $6 million

Cultural Olympiad: $20 million

Torch Relays: $31 million (including $2.3 million for Paralympics)

And of course, $18.5 million is still quite a lot for 15 nights and 2 venues.

BC Place will sit 55,000 during the Opening/Closing Ceremony, but 45,000 for the nightly medal ceremonies (i'm guessing it's because of the seats that are behind the stage).

And a second temporary medals plaza, for 8,000, will be at Whistler Village, where the drive range is. The Whistler Celebration Plaza will be the nightly medals ceremony site for all of the Whistler competitions, as well as the site of the Paralympic closing ceremony. This site held the unveiling of the 2010 Paralympic emblem:

concert_27.jpg

concert_39.jpg

concert_45.jpg

I think they said the nightly-medal ceremonies at Whistler Village and BC Place will be 2 hours long every night, and will be connected to each other by live feed.

Some acts they'd probably get:

- Celine Dion

- Avril Lavigne

- Shania Twain

- Chantal Kreviazuk

- Sarah McLachlan

- The Tragically Hip

- Bryan Adams

- Anne Murray

Some acts they'd probably get:

- Celine Dion

- Avril Lavigne

- Shania Twain

- Chantal Kreviazuk

- Sarah McLachlan

- The Tragically Hip

- Bryan Adams

- Anne Murray

I can see them also getting:

Barenaked Ladies

Nelly Furtado

Diana Krall

Take your pick from this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_musicians

Updated list:

- Celine Dion

- Avril Lavigne

- Shania Twain

- Chantal Kreviazuk

- Sarah McLachlan

- The Tragically Hip

- Bryan Adams

- Anne Murray

- Paul Anka (does he still sing?)

- Nelly Furtado

- Eva Avila

- Tal Bachman (didn't even know he was a Vancouverite)

- Michael Buble

- Nickleback

- Sum 41

- Simple Plan/Pierre Bouvier

- David Usher

- Neil Young (i hate his music, but maybe, if he's still around?)

- Diana Krall

What do u consider 'international'? Hannah Montana? Gloria Estefan? :o

I'm sure any up-and-coming artists who can revv up their vocal chords, and want to make a bigger mark in 2010, can be persuaded to endure a cold night or 2, maybe rendering 2 or 3 numbers. It seems to be a perfect launch platform for new careers -- what with giving away sample CDs and/or promo coupons to a captive, excitable audience?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

By "international" I mean someone who isn't a Canadian.

And don't confuse Vancouver's cold weather with the cold weather typical of a Winter Games host. It rarely dips below freezing here. I guess in Whistler, but in snug little BC Place, you'd hardly need a jacket.

Here's the IOC article about this topic.

Link: IOC-> Vancouver 2010: Ceremonies Team Chosen

Quote from the article: "The Vancouver Organising Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games (VANOC) has chosen Australian company David Atkins Enterprises (DAE) as the executive producer of the Opening, Closing and Medals Ceremonies."

Well, also in the article, some of the team did the Calgary 1988, Sydney 2000 and the Torino 2006 ceremonies, too. If this has already been mentioned, then I am sorry about that. My computer decided to crash a couple of days ago and I have only been able to return here just now, as of this post.

It's an interesting team. Half of them I applaud their selection, David Atkins, Ignatius Jones, Catherine Ugwu, Erick Villeneuve, Jacques Lemay etc.

But then on top of that they appear to have included 3 *managers* from the music industry. I honestly don't know why they are in this core creative team. Of course people like that will need to be engaged in formulating the production, but surely their involvement would be limited.

In my mind, they should have added a few more people with a better practical knowledge of the elements in stadium theatre.

Perhaps including a musical director would have been good, someone who has specialty in costume design, lighting etc etc.

Generally though, I would be stoked if i was Canadian.

Mattygs - I think the music managers were hired for the team because the ceremonies are all packaged as one - opening, closing, nightly medal/victory ceremonies. Those nightly ceremonies are where the music managers come in...their connections in bringing in star talent will be of benefit there.

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but within days of being announced as being part of the creative team for the 2010 Ceremonies, music manager Bruce Allen - who also has a radio show program called "Reality Check" - was discussing immigration in Canada. His message to new Canadians was to fit in and follow the laws of the land - although with more forceful words than I have used here. The comments irked local Sihk and Muslim communities, who felt targeted by the comment. They have been protesting the commentary and have asked for Allen's removal from the radio and the VANOC team.

Today, Allen issued a mild apology - one of those "I'm sorry you were offended". But some people seem pretty peeved off by it.

Note to the GBModerator: a group on Facebook has posted a link asking people to write the IOC and demand that VANOC remove Allen from the team. Problem is, the link they provide is the GamesBids feedback forum. With over 4000 angry Sihks and Muslims joining the group and others lurking, you might get some strongly worded messages in the next few days

Kendegra, I thought I heard something like that on my local "conservative" radio talk show. Isn't that just great. :rolleyes: Looks like Canada's image is been kicked around lately and not only with this issue.

Kendegra, I thought I heard something like that on my local "conservative" radio talk show. Isn't that just great. :rolleyes: Looks like Canada's image is been kicked around lately and not only with this issue.

:blink: That should not come as a surprise to any of us... Vancouver will be the topic,and the Olympics, throughout the world. :o:rolleyes: Maybe someone will wakeup soon.!!!!!!!

How is Canada's image being "kicked around"? I can think of many other countries around the world who are getting a lot more negative press than Canada.

Well, Guardian has an unfortunate habit of overblowing, overgeneralizing, and sensationalizing things.

You should have seen how some "international news shows" have tried to put Canada in a negative light and there is no exaggeration, if they are insisting on putting it on air for "their viewers to see and hear." If you don't believe me, then that is fine. However, being part of the group of "Western nations", Canada will get its share of flak, whether we deserved it or not. More or less, it is more exaggeration to me than not, but it is unfortunate that some people will believe anything like that, even with its neighbors and allies.

You should have seen how some "international news shows" have tried to put Canada in a negative light and there is no exaggeration, if they are insisting on putting it on air for "their viewers to see and hear." If you don't believe me, then that is fine. However, being part of the group of "Western nations", Canada will get its share of flak, whether we deserved it or not. More or less, it is more exaggeration to me than not, but it is unfortunate that some people will believe anything like that, even with its neighbors and allies.

And yet you buy into the media's sensationalism and overgeneralization. :rolleyes: Do you really believe EVERYTHING the press says?