Anyone Got The Ticket Already?

DesmondChan

91,000 means that about 50,000 are home Chinese. 41,000 spread amongst the rest of the world.

That's 91,000 in a normal configuration. I have this sneaking feeling that they are trying for the lucky 88,888 seats actually for the OC. Because 2-2,500 seats usually disappear to accommodate the press section (the one where 2 TV reporters share a monitor), camera placements, a few seats which will be blocked by Ceremonial riggings; and perhaps a few hundred to accommodate where I think they might fit in the cauldron. So, make that 50,000 for the locals, and 38,888 (maybe 24,000 for the IOC family - sponsors, so realistically, a mere 14,888 for the unconnected) rest of the world. (That's not a bad proportion though.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is really crazy. they got allocated their tickets months ago.

According to my sources everyone is waiting for BOCOG to release more tickets and the only place they can get them from is their domestic market, but the big bosses in BOCOG refuse to allow a domestic allocation go to International ticket holders due to the "Full Stadiums in China" policy that the ticketing agents and NOCs have as one of the major directives from BOCOG and the IOC for these Games. They did not want another Athens embarrassment.

If BOCOG give poor allocations for the second round of tickets which is what CoSport are waiting for, then the media needs to pick up on this - how it has stayed out of the international media is a real joke.

The propaganda coming out of China for these Games is just remarkable - one good thing about London is it will be similar to Sydney of "Trial By Media" which keeps the OCOGs HONEST!

This is one thing that BOCOG are not doing is being honest with the world. But like they said at the One Year to Go "We are READY" (except for ticketing, torch bearers, accommodation programs, a few of the venues, clearing the air and employing staff in BCOOG that are not Chinese with previous expereince)

According to my sources everyone is waiting for BOCOG to release more tickets and the only place they can get them from is their domestic market, but the big bosses in BOCOG refuse to allow a domestic allocation go to International ticket holders due to the "Full Stadiums in China" policy that the ticketing agents and NOCs have as one of the major directives from BOCOG and the IOC for these Games. They did not want another Athens embarrassment.

That's kinda stupid though. So, they're sacrificing an 'international look' of the audiences for full houses with a total 'Chinese look'? :blink: Now, how would one be able to tell a native Beijinger from the Mongolian from the Taiwanese from the Korean and the Japanese? And as if any intelligent viewer wouldn't be able to figure out why, say, a match between a Ghanian fencer vs. a St. Kitts opposite, would suddenly draw a FULL House of Chinese spectators? None other than the Chinese spy agency had sent all its neophytes to study these 2 athletes as prospective stool pigeons and future recruits.

UPDATE: Just called Cosport. A fairly articulate woman there explained to me the reason for the hold-up. Apparently, it's people who have ordered great mutliples of tickets for whatever event. Say, someone ordered 6 tickets for a swimming finals. Now, if they were able to fulfill only 3 of that now; and it should happen later that another 3 opened up and became available, then that customer would have to redo all his/her travel/hotel arrangements. So rather than half-fill an order now, they would prefer to wait for their final allocations and fulfill everything now in one fell swoop if they can.

Altho of course, what party would order so many tickets to one or a few events? So people, next time you order tix for an Olympix, please do NOT order more than 2 per event! It just complicates matters for everyone else.

But she did say definite word (for the first wave) will be announced by the first few days of November.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

This is the message we receive today from Cosport (for Canada)

Dear CoSport Customer:

This letter is to formally advise that during the initial ticket request phase, which ended on June 30, 2007, certain events for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games were oversubscribed. This means that we have more people requesting tickets for certain events than have been allocated by the Beijing Organizing Committee for the Games of the XXIX Olympiad (BOCOG) for sale in Canada. In order to allocate tickets for these oversubscribed events, we will conduct the lottery on Monday, October 29th. This lottery will be monitored and audited by Grant Thornton, LLP, one of the largest accounting firms in the world.

On Tuesday, October 30th, we will send you an email with your ticket allocation. This email will also list the steps you will need to take in order to process your allocated tickets. Please look for this email as you will have a limited period of 72 hours to accept or decline your proposed allocation.

In consideration of the extremely high demand and limited supply for tickets to some events, during this period of 72 hours CoSport has decided to offer our customers the option to accept or decline any tickets we are able to allocate to you. This ability to accept or decline any tickets will apply even if your total allocation exceeds 40% of your request. This process represents a change from the original Terms and Conditions which stated that the system would automatically process your allocation if we were able to allocate 40% or more of your request. We believe that this change of the Terms and Conditions is to your benefit, and will allow more of a choice in deciding if your want to purchase the tickets allocated to you.

During this 72 hour period, orders will not be processed or charged unless we hear from you in the manner outlined in the email you will receive. Therefore, it is of the utmost importance that you read the email in a timely manner and process your order. Please include cosport@cosport.com in your email contact list (or safe sender list) to ensure timely delivery of the communications from CoSport. For customers that do not respond within 72 hours, we will automatically process and charge the orders that are 40% or more fulfilled, and cancel the ones that do not meet this threshold (as per our Terms and Conditions).

Lastly, we will add additional offerings of “rooms only” to coincide with the announcement of the ticket confirmations. These will be available on our website on a first-come, first serve basis and available to all customers that requested or purchased tickets.

Thank you,

Adam Wixted

Director of Sales, CoSport

Well ticket sales go live in China on Tuesday!

Also you can now see the seating plans on the Beijing Website

1.jpg

And some more research I did is that Australians can buy tickets to the Paralympic Games Here starting November as well - wonder if the Opening Ceremony is going to sell out just as fast!

The Chinese people are also competing with the massive international demand for tickets. This is a first for the Olympic Games. COULD it be possible that many events will be sold out before it even starts next year?

A friend in China yesterday lined up overnight and was able to have his order processed before it crashed. He told me last night that he could not order any Swimming, Diving, Gymnastics or Ceremony tickets because they were all completly sold out to the domestic market, even though the BOCOG website says limit of 1 ticket for Ceremony and 3 for the others.

I think the pressure is coming from domestically, corporate, and tourist which every Olympic city can only dream of. the problem for BOCOG is it is so huge and so massive that they can not cope with this.

Ticketing is a black mark against the Beijing Games because they have made a TOTAL Mess of it since day 1. They knew that a local market was "OVER ENTHUSIASTIC" and they should have had plans in place to deal with this. Combine that with the very low allocations to International Markets, no winder Ceremony tickets are fetching US$5000 (face value $650) each and Swimming already over US$800 (f.v. $70).

The only winners here - Scalpers - if they can catually get their hands on tickets!

Just got response from CoSport. Didn't get any tickets.

On October 29th, 2007, under the observation of a major international

accounting firm, CoSport completed the ticket allocation process for

oversubscribed Beijing 2008 Olympic events via random drawing (lottery),

in order to ensure that all requests were given equal consideration.

Based upon the results of that process, we regret to inform you that

your request was not among those randomly chosen to be awarded tickets.

Our live-sale ticket phase will commence on Monday, November 26th. Any

remaining tickets from our inventory, including any that are declined

by people to whom they were awarded during this phase, will be sold on

a first-come, first-served basis. While we do not expect much

availability for oversubscribed events, we will list our complete remaining

public sale inventory at that time.

The limited allocation by the Beijing Organizing Committee of tickets

for public sale coupled with the overwhelming demand for them has made

this a difficult process for all concerned. We appreciate your interest

and your patience, and regret that we were unable to fulfill your

request.

That is awful Passerby - what tickets did you request?

I am hoping that since my main passions are the rowing, handball, diving and football I'll get lucky! If not - time to massage those contacts!

Well, I pretty much requested tickets for I assume oversubscribed events (Opening,swimming, diving, basketball, and couple for table tennis and archery). So I'm not that surprised that I didn't get any tickets. Still is awful though. I submitted my request the moment I got the chance to. Looks like I'll have to wait to see what CoSport has left.

I'm expecting to get knocked back for Gymnastics, Opening and swimming - according to the August 07 ticket manifesto there were still some tickets available for diving - however Cosport seem to only be getting an allocation of A reserve ticketing - whereas most availability is in the B and C reserve areas - which frankly I'd settle for.

I have also asked for tennis and football which have a ton of availability - thus if they get knocked back I will be very very surprised.

well, did u see the main GB story? The system in Beijing FRIED! Correct. It became fried Beijing duck!! The system collapsed.

But I haven't heard yet from Cosport USA. Expect it might be overnight.

No wonder, considering that the computer system was trying to process 8 million requests ALL AT ONCE!

?? to Pups or Roltel: did Sydney release a whole batch of OC tickets open sale, like a few days before Sydney's Opening? Athens, Torino, same thing? I know that is a maneuver to deflate scalpers' efforts. Pups, dya think BOCOG will do it?

Yeah, I think they did, but it was so long ago and I'd already got my tickets through the ballot, so I can't remember the details.

I recall on the Athens official ticketing site you could purchase Opening Ceremony tickets up until a few days prior to the Games.

As for Sydney - SOCOG released about 3,500 extra tickets about a week before the OC as they had established clear sightlines and worked out that a certain number of sponsor and NOC tickets had been handed back. Also a few hundred premium tickets ($1385AU each!) went on sale the day prior to the OC as SOCOG finally conceeded their 'premium package' range had been a failure.

You could try your luck when you get to Beijing, Baron - if not settle for a live site with thousands of the locals and soak up the atmosphere.

I recall on the Athens official ticketing site you could purchase Opening Ceremony tickets up until a few days prior to the Games.

As for Sydney - SOCOG released about 3,500 extra tickets about a week before the OC as they had established clear sightlines and worked out that a certain number of sponsor and NOC tickets had been handed back. Also a few hundred premium tickets ($1385AU each!) went on sale the day prior to the OC as SOCOG finally conceeded their 'premium package' range had been a failure.

You could try your luck when you get to Beijing, Baron - if not settle for a live site with thousands of the locals and soak up the atmosphere.

I thought so. )Thanks pup & rol.) I think there's always a certain # released at the end because that's when they get all the rigging in place and see what's viable or not. Also have another plan B. But I'll see what I can get in terms of airfare & if I can use my upgrade miles.

And on the last note -- not my idea of going half around the world and doing a 'Berlin '36.' Besides, the locals chatting away would drive me nuts. I'd much rather enjoy it in the comfort of my own living room. Save some big buckaroos and and get myself a new car instead.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Baron - I am afraid that even sitting in the Bird's Nest at 8:08pm on the 08/08/08 you will still be surrounded locals chatting away. The Chinese do not understand the concept of personal space or quiet time. That is just the culture of the entire populace. BOCOG is trying to teach the Beijingers some manners - but I doubt it will catch on!

I went and saw a movie at the Oriental Plaza - which is the really top end shopping centre on Wangfujing - and everyone still just chats away. It's ingrained. Prepare for a huge culture shock. It's *****ng annoying but also pretty special.

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy