Sign in to follow this  
Kenadian

Bc Place Stadium

Old. Grey. Dirty. Dull lighting. An acoustic nightmare. Covered in bird droppings. With ricketedy old seats. And a filthy roof made more obvious by the shiny white patch from the recent tear. This uninspiring place needs major sprucing up by 2010 in order to properly welcome the world to the Vancouver Olympic Winter Games.

I DEMAND IT!!!!

Thanks for listening.

;)

COMPLETELY AGREE! New roof! new seats! new lighting! new acoustics!

Pavco handed over a top secret report to the Liberal cabinent on BC Place 2010 Games renovation a few months ago, and according to the papers these recommendations were "very substantial". Hopefully, we'll be seeing that report being realized soon.

yes, this strikes back to exactly what I was saying about Vancouver's Olympic architechture. It isn't happening!

Only BC Place is a dissapointment, the rest are fine.

I just dont see BC Place getting millions spent on reno's, maybe 1 or 2, but not multi - when the Lions are starting whispers that there tired of the place and want a new stadium, maybe even join in if the Whitecap's stadium ever gets built.....

I just dont see BC Place getting millions spent on reno's, maybe 1 or 2, but not multi - when the Lions are starting whispers that there tired of the place and want a new stadium, maybe even join in if the Whitecap's stadium ever gets built.....

The Lions aren't going anywhere and they've stated they actually like the dome. The team has repeatedly made public that they want ownership of the dome so that they can make improvements or maybe even build a new stadium on site.

Whitecaps Stadium is too small. It's first phase only has 15,000 seats, and even when the second tier is added there will still only be 30,000 seats. The Lions have said they need a stadium that seats 35,000 to 45,000 and is expandable to 50,000 for the Grey Cup.

The Lions aren't going anywhere and they've stated they actually like the dome. The team has repeatedly made public that they want ownership of the dome so that they can make improvements or maybe even build a new stadium on site.

Whitecaps Stadium is too small. It's first phase only has 15,000 seats, and even when the second tier is added there will still only be 30,000 seats. The Lions have said they need a stadium that seats 35,000 to 45,000 and is expandable to 50,000 for the Grey Cup.

The Argos said the same thing about BMO Field, they wouldnt want to leave the skydome with there sweet heart lease etc etc, and guess what, there about ready to expand capacity and move in. As they say, build it and they will come.....

The Argos said the same thing about BMO Field, they wouldnt want to leave the skydome with there sweet heart lease etc etc, and guess what, there about ready to expand capacity and move in. As they say, build it and they will come.....

The thing is Whitecaps Stadium is completely privately funded by Greg Kerfoot, the club's owner. And when the stadium is completed, it'll only have 15,000 seats. He's quite determined to build a stadium that centres around the needs of his soccer team, which does not include a 30,000 seat stadium.....at least not for a long while. The Whitecaps don't need anything bigger than 15,000 at the moment....but if its fortunes turn when this new facility is built, like the Toronto soccer team with its brand new stadium....who knows.

15,000 seats is way too small for the Lions, and it'll be years afterward until the Whitecaps build a second tier of seats to boost capacity to 30,000.

yes, this strikes back to exactly what I was saying about Vancouver's Olympic architechture. It isn't happening!

And what Olympic architecture from Torino or Salt Lake took your breath away? Fact is, most Winter sports are outdoor events. I doubt a single facility was even built for the first five or six save for a bleacher by a frozen pond or some trees cut down for a ski path. They don't really build big new stadiums like Montreal, Munich, or Beijing or lay out fancy plazas like Barcelona, Sydney, or Athens.

Calgary, Lillehammer and Nagano had interesting speed skating and hockey facilities, but a ski jump is a ski jump and an arena is an arena.

Well back to the point, whether or not BC Place sticks around, they can still be creative with the place for 2010. A paint job, wrap it in wood, plastic, or fabric, make it look like a forest, a fake igloo, or even a Tim Horton's doughnut...I don't care. It's 25 years old and just dated.

Calgary, Lillehammer and Nagano had interesting speed skating and hockey facilities, but a ski jump is a ski jump and an arena is an arena.

If you ask me, the Richmond oval will make it to that list. The roof structure - completely out of wood - is amazing:

Oval_Main_Activity_Area_-_2010_Games16689.jpg

roo1024px.jpg

It'll certainly look better inside than Torino's oval. I didn't understand at all why they built the roof so low. On the outside though, it looks great.

Wow, didn't realize how far along the construction was, but haven't been down in that area in a while.

On the pictures I've just looked at, there doesn't appear to be much wrong with the stadium. I presume that appearances are thus deceptive.

I didn't understand at all why they built the roof so low. On the outside though, it looks great.

Well, the higher you build it -- so will the costs go up. Adding say a foot to anything, increases the cost exponentially. Plus, it probably was designed to be in scale with the neighborhood -- or one would hope. You wouldn't want to have this extra-tall quonset hut-like strucutre dominating your skyline.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I don't have much confidence anyway on doing a Opening Ceremony on indoors. I know that David Atkins are one of the best show producers of the world, but i'm afraid that the characteristics of the arena would dumb up the show.

I don't have much confidence anyway on doing a Opening Ceremony on indoors. I know that David Atkins are one of the best show producers of the world, but i'm afraid that the characteristics of the arena would dumb up the show.

I think Atkins will be able to handle an indoor venue like BC Place. Don't forget that it's not just him on the creative team, he also has Canadians like him on the same boat - in the team.

BC Place during the opening ceremony of Expo '86

big_expo86openingceremonies.jpg

Opening Ceremony of Sydney 2000

db_Nature_Opening_Ceremoney1.jpg

rwc2.jpg

Opening Ceremony of Manchester 20002

Rscf1122.jpg

commonwealth.jpg

Opening Ceremony of Doha 2006

xin_5812032810505752194818.jpg

72512183RB002_15th_Asian_Ga.jpg

We'll be having great ceremonies in 2010. :)

Maybe they could put a sheet of ice in BC Place and have an NHL Heritage Classic during the opening ceremonies. ;) I can't remember if it was the Sydney closing or opening ceremonies, but I remember they had a parade of icons. Maybe they could do one here and include the Stanley Cup as a Canadian icon? (even though the Canucks did not win it yet :P )

Having the roof will mean different challenges and opportunities, but I'm not that concerned with how the roof will impact the ceremonies. The biggest concern I see is that the stadium is rather dirty looking and there does not seem to be any talk of sprucing it up.

Having the roof will mean different challenges and opportunities, but I'm not that concerned with how the roof will impact the ceremonies. The biggest concern I see is that the stadium is rather dirty looking and there does not seem to be any talk of sprucing it up.

A lot of the Ceremonies will be in shadow and effect, so no need to clean it up too much. The savings they make will go for producers' bonuses. ;)

A thought came to mind, when they bring the last leg of the torch relay for a run around the inside of the stadium. When they bring the torch through one of the BC Place air locks, imagine if the draft extinguishes the flame. Ok when no one is looking someone can quickly relight the sucker with a zippo ;):blink::rolleyes:

Given the horrible handover ceremony that introduced vancouver 2010 to the world in Torino, it is safe to arrive at what are known as OBvious conclusions. These are

Those inside BC place will not see the spectacular fireworks display outside ( unless on a giant screen)

The low ceiling of the dome will most likely create an opressive atmosphere for the games.

they can have an entire aerial ceremony by the Cirque du Soliel people.

The possibilities are not at all endless.....

I was just at BC Place this past weekend for the Lions game, and was in almost every area of the stadium.

I have to say, with the exception of cleaning the roof, the Stadium itself does not, in my opinion, require a massive renovation.

If you have a look at the service plans on PavCo's website, there is talk of sprucing up concession areas, kitchens, scoreboards, seating etc. which are all necessary. But in all honesty, I think a little paint will go a long way. Sure, it won't be a sparkling facility like say, Wembley, but I'd say it could be moved on par with Seattle's Qwest Field, for example.

I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was versus its reputation. The suites are actually very modern and quite nice.

I don't believe it requires millions upon millions of dollars in renovations, although there are certainly areas that need to be addressed.

Sign in to follow this