• White
    • Black
    • East Asian
    • South Asian
    • Pacific Islander
    • Latino/a
    • Mixed-race
    • Other

When it come to this issue people have arguebly defended themselve well here only the black. As for me am a black African and very comfortable with it. There's nothing really like black race neither white or yellow only that ethnography tries to deal with this scientifically and has not yeilded any positive result, cos some people like it just that way. Am ok with it that way too only the discriminating use that I don't like.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mum is white, Dad is of Greek/Lebanese decsent so I just tick the european box on the census.

me too, except my dad has quite a bit of iraqi in him rather than lebanese. you can't tell by looking at me because i got mostly german/irish eyes and skin so i just say european. if i were, say, 50% iraqi instead of only like 1/3 i might be more inclined to fight to have myself recognized as such. they were all jews on that side of the family anyway, so little chance i'd hope of being lumped in with "them."

I agree with you...

About the last thing, I don't know what happens in other languages, but a lot of words has a double meaning as pejorative or as friendly words. If someone call me "güero" or "rusio" (the Chilean equivalent), I wouldn't take it as an offense (in fact, I just notice that this could be a pejorative word for white people)... the same happens with "negro" (for example, I call my sister "negrita"). "Cholo", which means people with indigenous background, is used as a affective word in Peru and Bolivia but it's a slang for Peruvian and Bolivian here in Chile...

It's interesting that apparently it's not just Mexicans but other Latin Americans too that identify people by their skin color. I'm wondering if culturally this can be traced back to Spain.

"Cholo" has an entirely different meaning here, at least it does in Los Angeles.

me too, except my dad has quite a bit of iraqi in him rather than lebanese. you can't tell by looking at me because i got mostly german/irish eyes and skin so i just say european. if i were, say, 50% iraqi instead of only like 1/3 i might be more inclined to fight to have myself recognized as such. they were all jews on that side of the family anyway, so little chance i'd hope of being lumped in with "them."

Ah! My bf and I thought that you looked Jewish... this explains it!

I'm the human race. I think too often people put too much importance to the colour of your skin, something like 0.00001 of your genome encodes for the colour of your skin, but 99.something or other encodes of genes that we all share in common. Hell, about 98 of it is the same as some higher level apes like organutans. Only a few genes encode for the expression of skin colour, but thousands encode for the array of emotions and feelings we have as humans, which do you think defines us more? Just because people in Africa needed to blend in with dirt and people in Europe snow so we wouldn't get eaten, doesn't diffine who we are, are actions do.

Faster, that is exactly what I was going to write, in other words.

Human race is only one, and even the anthropologists admit nowadays that such distinctions in the past were mistaken and superficial. In fact, any so-called "pure" race or skin color degree is a phenomenon in accelerating extinction. The future of humanity, with all speed in communication, traveling, etc, is mixed, and so these shallow barriers of bio-types are fading apart naturally.

Recent genetic research all over the world has shown that even those so called whites or blacks or yellows have mixed ancestry which they could never think of or guess from a few physical traits such as hair or eye color. For example, have you seen the Brazilian gymnast Daiane dos Santos? (there are many videos in youtube) She has about 60 % caucasian genetic ancestry. Daiane herself was astonished to find it out. Watch her videos and tell me later if you could tell it from just looking... And so many other cases reveal opposite surprises, etc.

As Faster has written above, such traits do not define who we are, as much as the artificial borders we create between countries are marked in the map, but if you look from a satellite photo of the Earth, you see no such lines at all.

Human race and culture is one. The whole universe is our homeland and all living beings are members of our family.

Faster, that is exactly what I was going to write, in other words.

Human race is only one, and even the anthropologists admit nowadays that such distinctions in the past were mistaken and superficial. In fact, any so-called "pure" race or skin color degree is a phenomenon in accelerating extinction. The future of humanity, with all speed in communication, traveling, etc, is mixed, and so these shallow barriers of bio-types are fading apart naturally.

Recent genetic research all over the world has shown that even those so called whites or blacks or yellows have mixed ancestry which they could never think of or guess from a few physical traits such as hair or eye color. For example, have you seen the Brazilian gymnast Daiane dos Santos? (there are many videos in youtube) She has about 60 % caucasian genetic ancestry. Daiane herself was astonished to find it out. Watch her videos and tell me later if you could tell it from just looking... And so many other cases reveal opposite surprises, etc.

As Faster has written above, such traits do not define who we are, as much as the artificial borders we create between countries are marked in the map, but if you look from a satellite photo of the Earth, you see no such lines at all.

Human race and culture is one. The whole universe is our homeland and all living beings are members of our family.

BTW, if I take my "blood" family history only 100 years back, I have a historical mix of West African slaves with Portuguese colonists and Alpine Italian farmers and indians from South America. However, as I live right now in Asia, moving through India, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, etc, I found out that there are many psychological traits in Asia with which I feel much familiar, distinct from the familiarity I felt while moving with "ancestral" fellas from America, Europe and Africa.

Therefore my display name in this forum says what race I found myself to be "like".

My dad and I have quite mediterranean featurs like skin colour, dark hair, eyes (although his are brown, mine blue) but growing up most people just thought I was half maori or samoan. But yeah, don’t really give a Shiit about my ethnicity to be honest. Just say white, being whites isn't really that "cool" or interesting so people don't ask you any annoying questions.

Just say white, being whites isn't really that "cool" or interesting so people don't ask you any annoying questions. Why did you say that? What do you think of being black?

Just say white, being whites isn't really that "cool" or interesting so people don't ask you any annoying questions. Why did you say that? What do you think of being black?

Mate it was just a tongue-n-cheek comment by saying when you are apart of the majority race (i.e white/european where I live) you don’t stand out as much and life’s a bit simpler in that way.

What do I think of being black? Ummm I dunno, I've never been black. Can't be that different right lol, why don't you tell me.

Being a black person is to take life with great humility and equanimity. It makes others to see you as subhuman more or less inferior. It makes other to see you as weak and almost lack intelligence. You can easily be singled out in a group and be preyed on. And, sometimes don't want to be heard. Expectation of you is slim not only in science, technology or innovations also in society at large. You are a victim of brutality due to detest for the kind of skin color that you have, as a result some of us try to hide it in cosmetics like the way Michael Jackson did. Though color is almost meaningless if not that it segregates people - this has far outweighed reason of skin color, not to mentioned the color of eyes, hair, etc and has become a weapon of threat even to the black man progress.

This often baffles me the very WHY some people have value for animals and discriminate his fellow human bieng. This very reason is why black people can know that they have more left to be done.

Despite all these and other inhuman treatment attached to it, am highly convinced that am still better off in black color rather than other colors (white,yellow or red,etc). I can see many things are already going through the brain of many people here.

If this is offensive to some people Iwouldn't know yet not untill somebody say so.

Being a black person is to take life with great humility and equanimity. It makes others to see you as subhuman more or less inferior. It makes other to see you as weak and almost lack intelligence. You can easily be singled out in a group and be preyed on. And, sometimes don't want to be heard. Expectation of you is slim not only in science, technology or innovations also in society at large. You are a victim of brutality due to detest for the kind of skin color that you have, as a result some of us try to hide it in cosmetics like the way Michael Jackson did. Though color is almost meaningless if not that it segregates people - this has far outweighed reason of skin color, not to mentioned the color of eyes, hair, etc and has become a weapon of threat even to the black man progress.

Nah Mate that’s what it means to be a minority, not necessary black. If we want to generalize here we could replace the word "black" with Asian, Jewish, Homosexual, Latino, Indigenous People etc.

Alexjc Posted Yesterday, 07:30 PM

James is obviously blaming the world (and justifiable so) for HIS short commings, thus that is why he lashes out at everyone else, ie the Gay community on GB.

Listen bro, am more than comfortable with my life. Nothing like short comings with me - am speaking for the unheard black voices.

Alexjc Posted Yesterday, 07:30 PM

James is obviously blaming the world (and justifiable so) for HIS short commings, thus that is why he lashes out at everyone else, ie the Gay community on GB.

Listen bro, am more than comfortable with my life. Nothing like short comings with me - am speaking for the unheard black voices.

Oh, whatever. :rolleyes:

Your quite ignorant, although that is not necessarily your fault.

Nyfank,Oh, whatever.

Your quite ignorant, although that is not necessarily your fault. You are ignorantly speaking of yourself. I only use your word back on you,ok?

:angry: Owww Crap nykfan845, you've just set him (j) of again!!! :angry:

James, you bring it on yourself - these comments that you feed off. Nobody provokes you, but you seem to have a grudge against the rest of the world, prehaps it's because we're draining you country of oil? Or maybe you believe we owe Africa something, I don't know what.

Most, if not all of us here on GamesBids enjoy a common comradrie, the love of the Olympic Games, and especially the bidding process to win them, which in its'self can be more exciting than the two week event proper....

Just bare that in mind. :rolleyes:

Most, if not all of us here on GamesBids enjoy a common comradrie, the love of the Olympic Games, and especially the bidding process to win them, which in its'self can be more exciting than the two week event proper....

you're kidding right? the games are like a two week long orgasm. the bidding process is like a half-hearted anti-climax that's just interesting enough to keep you waiting for the real thing.

If you have the guilt within you are draining my oil but you are not getting it for free. I have need said the world owes Africa anything rather than enough of humilition and disregard. PEACE!

I have my own ideas of how races developed.

And culture is NOT one, don't get me started on that. Human behavior is human behavior... but how one interprets that behavior is dependent on one's culture.

Regarding Daiane dos Santos... it's obvious to me that she's mixed. She doesn't look entirely of African heritage. In fact she looks like she can be a black American, many of whom are also of mixed heritage.

{2CE038A1-E3D9-459A-8A53-CF6E5EB2AA53}_daiane01.jpg

Culture is culture - there are different culture in the sense that through ages human have made changes and progress which affected the norm, etc. It's quite possible to see one culture in other culture - example is in the plurality of the American culture of which is due to its homogeneity. Chosing a culture I beleive depends mostly on individual. I might choose the white's culture if I like that doesn't make me white - that's what culture realy does.

Archived