• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Abuja - Too crapy with James in it !

Right...... :huh:

2. Baku - No way ! I prefer Moscow

Won't make the shortlist anyway

3. Capetown - Strong Contender , its theirs to lose

It won't be if Rio wins 2016. They will be a strong contender though and are my choice for 2020.

4. Delhi - India has enough problem with the CWG let alone Olympics

With that I agree.

5. Istanbul - Everyone's favourite city ! I would its chances are 50:50

50:50 to make the shortlist maybe. It's still an outsider though.

6. Madrid - Great Bid , its about time Spain hosted again. The only letdown is its location

Yeh, because Spain hasn't hosted for ages has it? :unsure:

7. Prague - I think 2016 is only for experience. They'll be serious if they bid again in 2020. Once again , Location is a factor

Can see a much stronger European field in 2020 than in this race. Besides, I still think 2020 is too early for Europe and 2024 is our best bet for another Euro games.

8. Qatar - No No No Never ! With them being so anti Israel , there is no chance of winning.

Technically it could work. I have question marks over how full the venues would be.

9. Rio de Janeiro - Another Strong Contender if they don't win 2016 !

Indeed, but not if Chicago wins 2016.

10. Roma - Why not ? Its only factor is the location

As I've said, I think 2020 might be a bit too early for Europe. But why not indeed?

11. Tokyo - Its has the money. I am sure IOC will consider this bid after all it has done for Europe ..

The advantage Tokyo has for 2020 is that, whoever wins 2016, it won't affect a 2020 bid from them too much. And Tokyo is a big hitter so will be a strong contender.

I don't like coniving mockers!!! This forum is full of them. Abuja is not too crappy, it's NYCD 2012 that's crappy!

I see you are also bitchy with other Americans. Anyway, you still have the hopes that Chicago will host the Games in 2016? Keep dreaming.

yeah, right. Keep on dissing too, luxembourgeosie bitch. I don't need any more SOGs, I've gone to 3 (& maybe Beijing next year) and participated in 2. What have u done lately? <_<

Let's go back to my original message:

This will be the initial field of 2020 bidders. What will it narrow down to?

1. Abuja

2. Baku

3. Capetown

4. Delhi

5. Istanbul

6. Madrid

7. Prague

8. Qatar

9. Rio de Janeiro

10. Roma

11. Tokyo

An evaluation report would short list the following cities

Madrid, Rome, Tokyo, Cape Town, Istanbul, Rio de Janeiro

Rio would get the nod ahead of Istanbul if only 5 cities are chosen in 2020.

It's nothing new, but the Eternal City is keeping its eternal hopes alive:

Rome considers 2020 Games bid

ROME, Oct 30 (Reuters) - Rome is considering bidding for the 2020 summer Olympic Games having aborted a plan to try to host the 2016 edition, city mayor Walter Veltroni said on Tuesday. Italy's second city Milan has previously expressed an interest in staging the 2020 Games.

"With the province of Rome, the region of Lazio and the government we decided that 2016 was not a good year for Rome to host the Olympic Games," Veltroni told reporters at the unveiling of the mascot for the 2009 Rome world swimming championships.

"We think, however, that with the Expo of Milan in 2015 and a possible Olympics in Rome in 2020, it could create a good double-act not only for international visibility but also to increase the country's GDP (gross domestic product)." The Italian capital has held the Games once before, in 1960, and its soccer teams, AS Roma and Lazio, play in the Stadio Olimpico which also hosts athletics.

The Winter Olympics have twice been held in Italy -- in Turin last year and in Cortina d'Ampezzo in 1956.

Tokyo, Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro, Prague, Doha in Qatar and Azerbaijan's Baku have applied to host the 2016 Olympic Games with a decision expected in October 2009.

Beijing hosts next year's Olympics with London holding the 2012 edition.

Definitely after Rio 2016, Cape Town will host the next olympiad. In 2024 should be Istanbul and maybe for the next one could be in Chicago or any city in pigland. Then Baron will be happy to show his ugly face to the world.

Ah, so u looked in the mirror this AM, f*ckface? Pity those pock-marks of yours won't go away soon, slime-puss.

Definitely after Rio 2016, Cape Town will host the next olympiad. In 2024 should be Istanbul and maybe for the next one could be in Chicago or any city in pigland. Then Baron will be happy to show his ugly face to the world.

Mate, that post just showed ignorance more than anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

My two pennies about 2020:

In my point of view CHICAGO and RIO DE JANEIRO (in alphabetical order) will decide the race about 2016 between themselves!

If CHICAGO is selected for 2016:

- CAPE TOWN - if the 2010 FIFA WORLD carries out well, will the IOC give the first African Olympic Games to South Africa in 2020

- TOKYO - just a question of time - the japanese capital will try two times in a row and will improve its initial position with every bid (depends if Korea receive the honour to host the 2018 Winter Olympics)

- DOHA - the qatarian capital will try two times in a row and will improve its initial position with every bid

- PARIS - just a question of time (depends if France receive the honour to host the 2018 Winter Olympics) - the french capital will improve its initial position with every bid

- BERLIN - just a question of time (depends if Germany receive the honour to host the 2018 Winter Olympics) - the german capital will improve its initial position with every bid

- ISTANBUL - the turkish metropolis will improve its initial position with every bid - it is just a question of time

If RIO DE JANEIRO is selected for 2016:

- CAPE TOWN - if the 2010 FIFA WORLD carries out well, will the IOC think about to give the first African Olympic Games after the first South American Games to South Africa in 2020

- TOKYO - just a question of time - the japanese capital will try two times in a row and will improve its initial position with every bid (depends if Korea receive the honour to host the 2018 Winter Olympics)

- DOHA - the qatarian capital will try two times in a row and will improve its initial position with every bid

- PARIS - just a question of time (depends if France receive the honour to host the 2018 Winter Olympics) - the french capital will improve its initial position with every bid

- BERLIN - just a question of time (depends if Germany receive the honour to host the 2018 Winter Olympics) - the german capital will improve its initial position with every bid

- ISTANBUL - the turkish metropolis will improve its initial position with every bid - it is just a question of time

- TORONTO - the canadian metropolis will improve its initial position with every bid - it is just a question of time

- NEW YORK - the US-metropolis will improve its initial position with every bid - it is just a question of time

Just a quick note to mention that, at this point, there is no indication whatsoever that Paris might go after 2020.

I personally believe it won't for two reasons :

• The race for 2020 will take place between 2011 and 2013. Paris Mayor, Delanoe, will most likely be a canidate for the French presidential election in 2012 so I doubt he will have much time to devote to an Olympic bid
  • The French NOC has (finally !!) understood that France had an image problem in the Olympic Movement and is working to improve this image. It's a long term plan and it involves, among other things, supporting bringing the Games to new frontiers (therefore I don't expect France running against South-Africa for 2020)

But that's also my 2 cents ;)

Do you think that another twice-host (Paris) will get its third olympiad in less than a decade since 2012?

Unlikely as Paris probably wont' bid until 2024.

This being said, last time Paris and France as a matter of fact, hosted the summer games is 1924 so I don't know whether Paris being a 2-time host would carry that much weight.

[*]The French NOC has (finally !!) understood that France had an image problem in the Olympic Movement and is working to improve this image. It's a long term plan and it involves, among other things, supporting bringing the Games to new frontiers

... that is interesting - when the French NOC is working to improve its image in the Olympic Movement then it has to know why it had an image problem - do you "know" the reasons?

Archived