Which City In 2020?

So you seriously believe a city like Chicago is more of a world city than Rome, Berlin and Sydney...regardless of the "study"...by the way do we have a REAL link to this study outcome?

What "real" link. I gave it to you. If anything, go to the University's website.

You know, it's not like we're talking about Cleveland, Ohio; Birmingham, Alabama or even PERTH, for pete's sake. Chicago is a large metropolis in the heart of America with a very HUGE commerce & financial sector. Bigger than Rome's, Berlin's & even Sydney's.

Just because Chicago is not the dominate city in the U.S. does not mean it's not an important one. Unlike Australia (which only has 2 big cities & 3 medium size ones), the U.S. has several large cities, so more than one is gonna play an important role is one way or another. Your very lack of knowledge, when you said that Chicago's not even the premier city in it's region, just goes to show how very little you actually know about the city, the region & for that matter, the country.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This quote of Winston Churchill is used in the context that you can "prove" with statistics what ever you want

The consideration or non-consideration of criterias is very important for the result of this statistic - the choice of these criterias by the statisticians is eventually challengeable...

Well, some things are blantantly obvious. Like China is the most populous nation on the planet & it's usually cold in the winter in New England. Or should we just discount statistics like those, as well.

Remember that Winston Churchill was never a great mathematician but a politician. Or was he a great mathematician? If that counts, sentiment is likely more useful as statistic. I believe South Africa rightful qualified to bid and win -- being an African country.

What "real" link. I gave it to you. If anything, go to the University's website.

You know, it's not like we're talking about Cleveland, Ohio; Birmingham, Alabama or even PERTH, for pete's sake. Chicago is a large metropolis in the heart of America with a very HUGE commerce & financial sector. Bigger than Rome's, Berlin's & even Sydney's.

Just because Chicago is not the dominate city in the U.S. does not mean it's not an important one. Unlike Australia (which only has 2 big cities & 3 medium size ones), the U.S. has several large cities, so more than one is gonna play an important role is one way or another. Your very lack of knowledge, when you said that Chicago's not even the premier city in it's region, just goes to show how very little you actually know about the city, the region & for that matter, the country.

Haha, i know your type. Where are you from again? Oh thats right. Not surprised.

Since when does a financial and commerce sector define which city is more of a world city and a better Olympic host? All a big commerce sector does is screw the world economy becuase of continued poor economic managment by the US.

"Unlike Australia, the US has several large cities". Do you think im 2 years old or something? Seriously, grow up. You and I both know Chicago is not more of an important city than the likes of Berlin and Rome. If Rome and Chicago disappeared tomorrow im sure the world would miss Rome a lot more. Yes Chicago may have a bigger financial centre but that does not make it a premier city. It only due to the type of statistics used in this survey that cities like Chicago and Hong Kong rate so highly. Just the same as the "livable" cities rankings. Just becuase Vancouver, Melbourne and Zurich are clean and wonderful to live in doesnt make them premier cities. Just like (although, when outside the downtown city district in Chicago is quite disgusting) having a large corporate centre doesnt make you and important city either.

Like i said, remove all bias, we would all care significantly more to see a city like Rome or Berlin to go up in flames, rather than a city like Chicago...oh wait, that already happened. Which would you rather keep Berlin or Frankfurt? And which rates higher on your little ranking system?

"Do you think im 2 years old or something? Seriously, grow up."

Well, that's something a two-year old would say. Not to mention what I said in order for you to make such a juvenile remark.

Okay, you're the one who's putting Tokyo on a grand pedestal simply because it's a "financial" giant. Other than it's financial sector, all Tokyo is, is just another big metropolis that is no worthier than any other city to host an Olympics. And obviously you haven't been to Chicago if all you think that outside of downtown is decrepit. There are plenty of beautiful neighborhoods throughout the city that make it charming. Stop confusing Chicago with Perth.

And you're the one who's being "bias". Always putting Sydney on such a grand scale (like it's London or Paris or something) when it's also not such a big deal as Rome & Berlin. I'm sure we'd all rather see Sydney go up in flames too, before Rome, & the world wouldn't miss it either.

Let's get over complaint about big cities. You guys should be proud you are from great cities like Chicago and Perth( less likely to be compared to Chicago) cos am proud of my African city of Lagos (you guys should know what that means).

If economic power is not stop to be used as a yard stick in measuring the Olympics, the good parts of it will not be experienced by other cities of the world which are not economically vibrant.

I wish there is time for the IOC to look into the Olympic by creating two division of groups for host. Instead of the rotation idea , there should for each section the non- advanced nations to be for a particular year all round bid and the advanced Nation for another year all round, so that it can be a universal thing sports event. Then will not have complains coming in from the poor nations.

is anyone finding these replies as funny as i am.

I havent put Sydney on a grand scale. You were the one who place Sydney, Rome and Berlin under the same bracket in the first place.

As for the Perth suburbs being run down like Chicago. Perth some of the most expensive property in the world and rates amoung the top 5 of liveable cities. I hate to revert back to studies and statistical measures, but i feel its the only way to prove my point on this topic, if there is anything to prove, considering you havent been to Perth and i, HAVE been to Chicago and Detroit.

Why is Tokyo on a grandscale? Well, again another city ive been to (twice)...When did i say Tokyo was a finance giant? I surely cant see. I said it is the more superior and premier city, both for its prestige and the fact its Olympic plan has greater technical capabilities than Tokyo's. Im sure the upcoming IOC report will confirm that for me.

Let's get over complaint about big cities. You guys should be proud you are from great cities like Chicago and Perth( less likely to be compared to Chicago) cos am proud of my African city of Lagos (you guys should know what that means).

If economic power is not stop to be used as a yard stick in measuring the Olympics, the good parts of it will not be experienced by other cities of the world which are not economically vibrant.

I wish there is time for the IOC to look into the Olympic by creating two division of groups for host. Instead of the rotation idea , there should for each section the non- advanced nations to be for a particular year all round bid and the advanced Nation for another year all round, so that it can be a universal thing sports event. Then will not have complains coming in from the poor nations.

I think there are enough "undeveloped" cities out there that can make enough of a case for them to host without having to down grade the competition to other less developed cities in similar countries. An example of this is Capetown.

Splitting the two "groups" up will just narrow the quality of games we would see in a city like Capetown when it happens becuase they wont have such a mountain bid to climb initially. Competition is good and the Games will go to less developed nations when the time comes. Be patient james.

Well, some things are blantantly obvious. Like China is the most populous nation on the planet & it's usually cold in the winter in New England. Or should we just discount statistics like those, as well.

Temperature or the amount of rain is measurable, but how is it measureable if a city is a "global city"?

You can't measure it, because everybody has different point of views, what representative for a "global city" is.

I know what you mean, you're "respones" are hilarious. "to prove my point", that one is funny because what "point" are you so desperately trying to prove. You don't have one.

And perhaps I did mention Sydney first, but you obviously were giving it the high "marks" in every aspect afterwards.

And you're obviously confusing Detroit with Chicago then. Detroit is the decaying city on the Great Lakes. And there's obviously a reason why I (along with a whole lot of others, too) haven't been to Perth. There's no point in going there. There's so many other, far more interesting places to go to before going to the end of the world.

... we are speaking about a statistic which wants to

Temperature or the amount of rain is measurable, but how is it measureable if a city is a "global city"?

You can't measure it, because everybody has different point of views, what is representative for a "global city".

Yeah, but the 'majority', with an objective view, has always agreed that London, Paris & New York are the top 3 "global cities".

As for the Perth suburbs being run down like Chicago. Perth some of the most expensive property in the world and rates amoung the top 5 of liveable cities. I hate to revert back to studies and statistical measures, but i feel its the only way to prove my point on this topic, if there is anything to prove, considering you havent been to Perth and i, HAVE been to Chicago and Detroit.

Why is Tokyo on a grandscale? Well, again another city ive been to (twice)...When did i say Tokyo was a finance giant? I surely cant see. I said it is the more superior and premier city, both for its prestige and the fact its Olympic plan has greater technical capabilities than Tokyo's. Im sure the upcoming IOC report will confirm that for me.

You didn't mention "suburbs" in your previous post. You said outside the downtown 'district' (meaning the neighborhoods, which there's plenty of upscale ones). Chicago also has plenty of expensive real estate suburbs. You obviously didn't travel to them when you were there, otherwise you'd know about the extremely wealthy suburbs of the North Shore & the Western Suburbs. Btw, I don't reside in Chicago like you think I do. I just know the city very, very well by having traveled there plenty of times.

And even having the best technical bid doesn't mean anything. I would think you'd know this by now. So the IOC report "confirming" anything for you is a moot point. Otherwise, Beijing & Sochi never would've won if it always worked that way. It all boils down to what is the most geopolitically attractive to the IOC on the day of the vote.

Nobody has an objective view - already the word "view" implies that it is out of a perspective of someone.

What word would you like to use then? Are London, Paris & New York not visited by millions of tourists each year & are held with great esteem, moreso than say, places like Perth, Belgrade & Albuquerque? How should the definition be defined then.

And you're obviously confusing Detroit with Chicago then. Detroit is the decaying city on the Great Lakes. And there's obviously a reason why I (along with a whole lot of others, too) haven't been to Perth. There's no point in going there. There's so many other, far more interesting places to go to before going to the end of the world.

I cant believe you wasted your time writing this. I havent once tried to prove Perth is better than Chicago in this little spat of ours. Yet you see it reasonable to keep bringing it up as a means to further prove your point, when really it has no relevence what so ever. I'd agree with you any day Chicago is the "better" (if there is such a way of defining beter) city than Perth and yes there isnt very much reason (at least from a narrow American perspective who doesnt think the rest of the world is important) to visit it...but i still dont see what you're making of this.

(at least from a 'narrow' American perspective who doesnt think the rest of the world is important)

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black. Just because I said that I had no interest in Perth, doesn't mean that I wouldn't be interested in going to other parts of the world that aren't in the U.S.

What word would you like to use then? Are London, Paris & New York not visited by millions of tourists each year & are held with great esteem, moreso than say, places like Perth, Belgrade & Albuquerque? How should the definition be defined then.

Well - of course you can make a statistic about the number of tourist of a city, but is that really a criteria of a "global city"?

let's say I want to see the Grand Canyon in the USA

I fly from Hamburg to Frankfurt

and have to stay overnight due full flights

= 1 tourist more in Frankfurt, because of the accomodation

= 1 passenger more in Frankfurt, due it is one of the two Lufthansa hubs

then I fly from Frankfurt to Los Angeles

ohh - wow when I have the opportunity I stay in Los Angeles

= 1 tourist more in Los Angeles

= 1 passenger more in Los Angeles

therefore Frankfurt and Los Angeles improve their ranking in the statistic altough I wanted to visit the Grand Canyon

What is when e.g. Lufthansa is able to offer a flight via London? Then London would have get a tourist more in the statistic....

Is this statistic really fair?

But even without the statistics, what about the image & perception of cities like London, Paris & New York have. The cities that artists paint about, write about, & make the most movies about, & companies that market most travel packages & novelty items about. I think it's also more than just the numbers.

Sydney, Berlin, Beijing, subjective.

Of course it is subjective, but so is your theory on what you believe as being `global`. Sure a textbook can say a b & c are global because of x y & z, but that is devaluing other cities which are overlooked. I think it`s how we understand the word `global`.

To me, geopolitics, economy and culture rank high, and on that alone Beijing (in my view) should be included. And surely the textbooks will have to be rewritten in some years to include this `inevitable "populous` theory, which you tend to side with.

• 2 years later...

The cultural aspect that you're talking about are known by the terms "Latin & Anglo" America. But geographically speaking, it's North & South America, 2 different continents on 2 different hemispheres. Some people confuse (or like to confuse) the terms by saying anything south of the U.S. is "South" America. Which is wrong because the term for that is "Latin" America. Mexico & Central America is part of "North" America.

IMO, FYI, acconding to the cultural aspect Mexico and Central America are parts of the South American Continent, although, geographically, belonging to the North America. What we call CA doesn't really exist as a Continent, mainly when compared to the huge mass of land South an North America posses.

Actually, there are scientific studies on what are world cities and how they are ranked... Thing is, depending on how you weigh the different criteria, the outcome may vary greatly (eg I've seen Frankfurt ranked higher than Berlin in rankings that concentrate on economics). Top of the crop pretty much all across the board are New York, London, Paris and Tokyo - about pretty much every other city, you can argue.

Archived