Which City In 2020?

Where did you hear that from?

The lands have not been used yet. Those lands were to be part of Toronto's 2015 Expo bid, but the city pulled out of that.

The city seems reluctant to get any major development happening on the island portlands, there has to be a reason why. They are saving it for something major. 80-90% of Toronto's 2008 bid can be used for 2020.

Ok. Ive just noticed it around the board.

Well would it be a good idea using the same plan as 2008 a decade later?There was a reason Toronto was snubbed in 2008. I think Rio's 2016 bid is damaged greatly due to the fact it's so similar to 2012. Although the site is fantastic, i think the next Toronto bid will be significantly reworked to put even more emphasis on new venues on the waterfront.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a reason Toronto was snubbed in 2008.

Yeah, & that HUGE reason was Beijing. The 2008 Games were Beijing's to lose right from the start. There was nothing to stand in the way of that, not even the technically superior (compared to Beijing's) bids from Toronto & Paris. Toronto, if they wanted to (& if there's another chance for them in the forseeable future) could use the same plan, cause there was nothing wrong with it, other than it was competing with the significantly geopolitical attractive of Beijing.

Yeah, & that HUGE reason was Beijing. The 2008 Games were Beijing's to lose right from the start. There was nothing to stand in the way of that, not even the technically superior (compared to Beijing's) bids from Toronto & Paris. Toronto, if they wanted to (& if there's another chance for them in the forseeable future) could use the same plan, cause there was nothing wrong with it, other than it was competing with the significantly geopolitical attractive of Beijing.

I agree with you. The technical aspect of Toronto's bid was near flawless. That was one of the major pluses to the Toronto bid. The city also has new venues already built in and around the city that can and probably would be used as part of a future Olympic bid and also transportation improvements (subway line extensions, highway improvements, airport expansions, etc) which it didn't have during the time they were bidding for 2008. However, the only thing holding back a Toronto bid is timing. When will it be the perfect time for Toronto to put in another bid? We all know if Chicago losses 2016, there will be an opportunity. They wouldn't be the head over heels favourite though, due to the recent Vancouver games (I don't think it would be that big of an issue for 2020 but we all know others will try and make it be one) and the fact that many might believe the USA will definitely be due for another Olympics come 2020. Adding Toronto, (Chicago/NYC), another bid from Tokyo if they lose, Madrid if they lose, Rio if they lose, Paris, Berlin, Rome. It honestly looks like 2020 is lining up to be a better lineup, more competitive and fun than 2016.

Well would it be a good idea using the same plan as 2008 a decade later?There was a reason Toronto was snubbed in 2008. I think Rio's 2016 bid is damaged greatly due to the fact it's so similar to 2012. Although the site is fantastic, i think the next Toronto bid will be significantly reworked to put even more emphasis on new venues on the waterfront.

That was the whole point of Toronto's 2008 bid, new venues on the waterfront and the Portlands island area which would be apart of the Waterfront revitalization project. The Portlands were to be the Olympic Park with the Olympic Stadium, Olympic Village, Aquatic Centre, Rowing Regatta, Field Hockey, Archery and venues. I'm not sure if I'm missing anything else as I don't have the bid book on this computer. The rowing events would be taking place right infront of the Olympic Stadium.

I think 2020 will go back to Europe and will be a big battle like 2012 among them...I would love to see Paris, Madrid, Rome/Milan, Berlin/Hamburg all definately bid and battle it out...if Rio gets 2016 that would be even more interesting because then you would probably have a top USA city and maybe even Toronto in there, and probably a top Asian city or two (Tokyo and Busan) and maybe Australia returning....making it even bigger than 2012

as for Asia, I think PC is going to get 2018, and that will once again knock them out and I don't think Australia would win yet, although I do see them bidding posisble

but again if Chicago gets 2016 (which is very likely) it will probably be Europe's again, but will still be a big race

still want to see olympics in isatnbul rio or capetown in 2020

but it seems developed 8 countries contorl it ....

pity

by the way how can u put pic. in your avatar ( always says too big for me ) and like teh one on top ,capetown s.africa 2010 pic. on the posts...

Capetown 2020 will hinge on Tokyo's success in 2016 really. The Japanese wont want to let Korea freely bid for 2020 and possibly take Asia's right to host for the next 20years...If they loose 2016 i'd image they'd be mega pissed, and how. Though 2020 we may not see Tokyo. Maybe another chance for Kyoto/Kobe/Osaka???

Capetown 2020 will hinge on Tokyo's success in 2016 really.

Huh? What does Tokyo maybe winning the 2016 Games have to do with a potential Cape Town success for 2020? And if the Japanese lost 2016, I'm sure they'd try again with Tokyo. Osaka didn't do well at all in the 2008 race, but surely that was because of Beijing. And Kobe & Kyoto are just satelite cities of Osaka. The IOC seems to be in love lately with big important cities for the Summer Games. I'm sure the IOC would rather have Tokyo for their next Asian Olympics after Beijing.

Huh? What does Tokyo maybe winning the 2016 Games have to do with a potential Cape Town success for 2020? And if the Japanese lost 2016, I'm sure they'd try again with Tokyo. Osaka didn't do well at all in the 2008 race, but surely that was because of Beijing. And Kobe & Kyoto are just satelite cities of Osaka. The IOC seems to be in love lately with big important cities for the Summer Games. I'm sure the IOC would rather have Tokyo for their next Asian Olympics after Beijing.

you just reinforced what i had said...thankyou

Exactly, Baron. I'm sure many people would agree that Tokyo would seem the most logical choice for the next Asian Olympics, but at the same time, a lot of people also agree that not so soon after Beijing. Only 8 years after Beijing is too soon for Asia. 2020 seems more realistic for them.

When I was saying, Aronious, that the IOC would be more interested in Tokyo for their next Asian Olympics after Bejing, I meant among other ASIAN contenders (i.e. Kyoto, Kobe, Busan) & not among the other 2016 contenders. Tokyo is *not* the only important player in the 2016 field.

You've got to me kidding me. <_<

Chicago (& to a lesser degree, Rio) IS just as important, if not moreso, than Sydney, Madrid, Rome, Berlin etc., & definitely moreso than Doha. Sorry, but go read up on these cities if you think such a misguided view.

You've got to me kidding me. <_<

Chicago (& to a lesser degree, Rio) IS just as important, if not moreso, than Sydney, Madrid, Rome, Berlin etc., & definitely moreso than Doha. Sorry, but go read up on these cities if you think such a misguided view.

wow you let turned your sarcasim radar off big time then. Chicago bigger than Sydney, Berlin and Rome!? no your kidding right...ha, the tables have turned.

Rome has 1000's of years of history. Berlin, along with London and NYC and maybe Paris were probably the most important cities of the 1900's especially following WWII and the fall of the world. Sydney is the lime light of Australia, where as Chicago lives in the shadow of SF, LA, NYC, DC and Toronto. It doesnt even come close to being the premier city of its region.

You need to look at some statistics that you obviously don't know nothing of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

Chicago is an Alpha minus world city, ahead of Sydney, Rome & Berlin. And yes, Chicago is definitely the premier city of it's region. Shows how little you know of the Midwest/Great Lakes region.

And yes, while it would be mostly agreed that Chicago may lie in the shadows of New York & L.A., it certainly does *not* of Toronto. Toronto is a world Beta city at best. Just look at the list. Sorry, but I don't know what planet you're coming from, certainly not this one.

Who's "falsifying" anything. It was done by a British University.

This quote of Winston Churchill is used in the context that you can "prove" with statistics what ever you want

The consideration or non-consideration of criterias is very important for the result of this statistic - the choice of these criterias by the statisticians is eventually challengeable...

This quote of Winston Churchill is used in the context that you can "prove" with statistics what ever you want

The consideration or non-consideration of criterias is very important for the result of this statistic - the choice of these criterias by the statisticians is eventually challengeable...

I dont think that really matters to his side of the arguement.

Archived