Which City In 2020?

I think the general consensus is that Chicago is the early front runner, Tokyo isn't far behind and Rio is a bit behind the 8 ball for a number of factors (WC 2014, economics, security, etc). Also seems that Madrid and Prague are discounted because of London. No one is giving much credence to Baku. And Doha is a black horse that could add some surprise to the mix. Still pretty early though.

If Chicago fails, I suspect the USA will gun for 2020 - depending on the numbers, of course. If Chicago loses with a dozen votes on the first ballot, they might reconsider the whole thing. And if they lose by one vote on the final ballot, they are likely to go again with Chicago. In that case, I wonder if Toronto would go for it?

With the exposure and experience from WC 2010, it appears that 2020 is a good year for Cape Town to make a go at it. And I'm sure the Europeans will toss in a few bids - although I wonder what Paris is thinking? Also wonder if Rio or another South American city (BA?) would make a go if they don't land 2016?

I don't see a bid from Australia coming for a while.

Obviously, Chicago would be the front runner. The Americas looked very attractive this time around and factor in BIG OLE' U S OF A!!

I really wouldn't discount Rio significantly. They are an unproven territory. They've hosted the Pan Am Games, it wasn't a disaster. It was pretty good besides the odd venue glitch here and there which they definitely have learned from. The only thing that really bothered me was the way the spectators in Rio treated non-Brazilian athletes at the sporting venues. The city has really built up its sporting infrastructure from these Pan Am Games. Another problem might be the high rate of crime in the city. I always here about that but I'm sure if Rio really wants these games badly they'll go all out full throttle to control this problem. I wonder if the IOC would trust Rio and Brazil in preparing for FIFA World Cup 2014 and the 2016 SOG. That's a pretty big work load but when you think about it, the FIFA World Cup is an event that is hosted throughout the country in various cities, not one individual city unlike the Olympics so I think it could work out that Brazil hosts the World Cup and Rio an Olympic Games, it's not out of the question. Improvements to Rio for the World Cup would work in the city's favour when they potentially host the 2016 Games. It's like killing 2 birds with 1 stone I guess.

The COC has publicly stated that they want to support a Toronto 2020 bid if Chicago losses. Our current Mayor David Miller also said that he didn't believe at the time, that Toronto should pursue the 2016 Olympic bid because of timing, but the city would definitely be open to a possible bid for 2020. By the time bidding for the 2020 takes place I doubt he'll still be the Mayor of Toronto anyways. If I were to put money on this, if Chicago loses 2016, Toronto will definitely get back into the ring this time around.

Something else that I'm wondering about is if the USA are really serious about bidding for the 2018 Winter Olympics if the Chicago bid fails. I keep hearing about Denver, & Reno-Lake Taho.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something else that I'm wondering about is if the USA are really serious about bidding for the 2018 Winter Olympics if the Chicago bid fails. I keep hearing about Denver, & Reno-Lake Taho.

They're just lining up for the next round. Seriously, it probably takes at least 12 years to line up your ducks (or your geese, as the case may be) to be a creditiable candidate for even a Winter Games. I mean it only seems yesterday that the West Coast cities of LA and SF were battling it out with Chicago for the USA 2016 nod; and here we are down to the final int'l 7. So the deadlines for WOGs 2018 and 2022 aren't really all that far away considering how time flies.

They're just lining up for the next round. Seriously, it probably takes at least 12 years to line up your ducks (or your geese, as the case may be) to be a creditiable candidate for even a Winter Games. I mean it only seems yesterday that the West Coast cities of LA and SF were battling it out with Chicago for the USA 2016 nod; and here we are down to the final int'l 7. So the deadlines for WOGs 2018 and 2022 aren't really all that far away considering how time flies.

As an American, do you believe that a Winter bid will be placed for 2018 if Chicago fails in its quest for 2016?? Or will they wait it out for 2020?

As an American, do you believe that a Winter bid will be placed for 2018 if Chicago fails in its quest for 2016?? Or will they wait it out for 2020?

I really couldn't guess the USOC's moves after Chicago. I mean, it'll all depend on the USOC. I think the results of 2009 will determine how the USOC will proceed with either a bid for 2018 or 2022. My guess is if PyongChang wants to try a 3rd time for 2018, then it might be wise for a Reno-Tahoe (I really don't give any credit to a Denver bid) to get ready in 2015 -- meaning to bid for the 2022 Games...which is just about the right time for a WOG to come back to the States. I mean, it swings back to the US every 20 years or so (1960, 1980, 2002). So, 2018 would be premature.

If Chicago or Rio win, I really think a European city will get the 2020 nod - especially if PyongChang gets 2018. My guess would be Paris above all others, but getting down to the cities is premature. 2020 is one of those special years, so it could really be a fight.

European Possible Bids:

- Paris

- Rome

- Prague

- Copenhagen

- Madrid

- Berlin

If Chicago or Rio win, I really think a European city will get the 2020 nod - especially if PyongChang gets 2018. My guess would be Paris above all others, but getting down to the cities is premature. 2020 is one of those special years, so it could really be a fight.

European Possible Bids:

- Paris

- Rome

- Prague

- Copenhagen

- Madrid

- Berlin

I very much doubt Paris will Bid let alone win a Bid in 2020, i think the next time they will bid will be 2024 and even then i don't see them winning. And i doubt Madrid would bid again in case of a loss of face. I think the City that could stand a chance for Europe in 2020 is Berlin after a very succsessful World Cup!

Although, i think 2016 will be Chicago! (YAY) and i think the IOC maybe reluctent to give the games to Europe in 2020. People often talk about how much the IOC favours the US, will Eurpoe get that same rep if awarded the Games in 2020?

The IOC i think is trying to get the games to be hosted by 'First Time Cities' and to have a very eclective range of Host Cities.

The one thing i can say for sure is that London will not be awarded any Olympic games for some years! lol

i doubt Madrid would bid again in case of a loss of face.

I would think Madrid is a certainty for the 2020 line-up _ really the whole point of their current bid (and they must know they have little chance) is a warm up for 2020. Rather than being scared of losing face, they're fast becoming the new istanbul of bidding cities.

I would think Madrid is a certainty for the 2020 line-up _ really the whole point of their current bid (and they must know they have little chance) is a warm up for 2020. Rather than being scared of losing face, they're fast becoming the new istanbul of bidding cities.

I agree with that. Madrid is such a beautiful city with stunning views and culture to die for that i would hate it to be the city that keeps bidding til they say yes.

Maybe 2024 for Madrid? I'm certainly a fan

I would love to see the games go back to Australia sometime!

I think in recent History that Sydney was and will remain the Summer Olympics games that every future has to mark it self against.

Beijing will be to Organised, millatry presission. It will be a great games but will be very square in style.

London will i think be somewhere up there with Sydney because of 2 things.

1) Some of the Sydney Games heads are helping London to create a spectatular games

and

2) London and the UK have the same Excitment when it comes to Sport and Celebration

If 2016 goes to Chicago (which at this time is a real possibility), I can see South-Africa being a very serious candidate for 2020 (the election will come 3 years after the 2010 World Cup).

If 2016 goes to Rio, the door would be much more open for 2020 as I am not sure the IOC would go to Rio and South-Africa back to back.

Any Berlin potential bid will depend on the outcome of Munich 2018 bid.

As for Paris, there is very very little chance that they will bid for 2020. Paris would be a strong contender for 2024 but by no mean a shoe in.

The interesting scenario could be if 2016 goes to Tokyo. We've all bemoaned the 2016 line-up after 2012's glamour line-up, but if Asia did snare 2016, we could well see the glamour cities of the Americas once again go up against Europe's heavy-hitters. It could well be another race to remember!

Madrid is supposed to bid for 2020 and 2024, they have a contract with Atletico de Madrid football club for until 2024. In this contract the football team, owner of "La Peineta" the Olympic Stadium accepts to build the athletics track for these years, 2020 and 2024.

The interesting scenario could be if 2016 goes to Tokyo. We've all bemoaned the 2016 line-up after 2012's glamour line-up, but if Asia did snare 2016, we could well see the glamour cities of the Americas once again go up against Europe's heavy-hitters. It could well be another race to remember!

For Europe,the question would then be which cities would or wouldn't go for 2020.I doubt Paris would be interested but I feel sure Berlin and Rome will step up to the plate and will Madrid throw its hat into the ring once more to make it a hatrick of three bids in a row? For the Americas,I feel sure Rio would give it another go (the 2014 World Cup preparations will have come to a head by the time of the vote in 2013 and the city will be receiving maximum world attention) and I can see Toronto stepping in again (although the lingering memories of Vancouver 2010 might still prove a bit of a drawback just three years on).As far as the US is concerned,the big question would be if Chicago was prepared to go again and whether or not it would be challenged by a re-energized New York? That could make for a very interesting USOC race in itself!

So,I tend to agree.In the interests of making the next Olympic bid an exciting one and so giving the members on here something to really get their teeth into again,a Tokyo victory for 2016 would seem to be highly desirable! ;)

If Chicago doesn't get the the nod for the games...Do you think the US will give Los Angeles a chance to be their representative? Los Angeles gave a strong battle before it lost to Chicago. With most of the venues already built, it is hard to give another city besides LA a chance top represent the U.S for the 2020 games.

If Chicago doesn't get the the nod for the games...Do you think the US will give Los Angeles a chance to be their representative? Los Angeles gave a strong battle before it lost to Chicago. With most of the venues already built, it is hard to give another city besides LA a chance top represent the U.S for the 2020 games.

I'd agree, LA would probably be one of the top US contenders if the US bids for 2020.

There could be one fly in the ointment, though. If Chicago were to lose to Tokyo, then we'd have a sequence already of repeat hosts _ 2012 London, 2016 Tokyo.

LA would thus be vying to be the third repeat host in a row _ I don't think a lot of people who like to see the games shared around would like that!

Brisbane, Australia has expressed serious interest in a 2020 or 2024 bid. Also, Taiwan said it would like to throw a bid out there in 2020 as well. If an America gets the 2016 summer games, and an Asian city gets the 2018 winter games, I will surely bet the race will be between European cities. Cape Town could go for it - they bid for 2004, so it wouldn't be their first time.

If Chicago wins 2016 and an Asian city gets 2018....

Europe

- Berlin

- Copenhagen

- Madrid

- Prague

- Rome

Africa

- Cape Town

Australia/Oceania

- Brisbane

Asia

- Taipei

- Tokyo

South America

- Rio de Janeiro

When do you think a rotating system will be put in place if ever?

Brisbane, Australia has expressed serious interest in a 2020 or 2024 bid.

While I like the notion of Brisbane being Australia's next host, don't hold your breath on a 2020 or 2024 bid. It was more a bit of political musing by the Queensland Premier, and anyway, I don't like Oz's chances of snaring another games before the late 2040s.

Cape Town seems to be an early favourite in many quarters for 2020. It seems they've expressed a desire to go for it, and by the 2020 bidding campaign should have a successful World Cup behind them to bolster their claims. Add to that the sentimental desire to see the games go the new frontiers, and they could be a serious contender.

I'd agree, LA would probably be one of the top US contenders if the US bids for 2020.

There could be one fly in the ointment, though. If Chicago were to lose to Tokyo, then we'd have a sequence already of repeat hosts _ 2012 London, 2016 Tokyo.

LA would thus be vying to be the third repeat host in a row _ I don't think a lot of people who like to see the games shared around would like that!

Even though I would love LA to get the 2020 games...you are absolutely correct on the cities repeating as hosts...However, I have a feeling L most likely would be the favorite in 2032...The 100th anniversary of the first Olympics in Los Angeles...Unfortunately that seems a million years away :( So, if for some reason Chicago doesn't get the games...I hope the USOC will give us another chance. We have what other cities in America don't have. Ready made venues. Also traffic should not be an issue...the venues will be more compacted compared to in '84 and we have a subway system (which will double by 2020), which you can reach 90% of the venues. We did not have a subway in 84, and traffic was not issue.

Even though I would love LA to get the 2020 games...you are absolutely correct on the cities repeating as hosts...However, I have a feeling L most likely would be the favorite in 2032...The 100th anniversary of the first Olympics in Los Angeles...Unfortunately that seems a million years away :( So, if for some reason Chicago doesn't get the games...I hope the USOC will give us another chance. We have what other cities in America don't have. Ready made venues. Also traffic should not be an issue...the venues will be more compacted compared to in '84 and we have a subway system (which will double by 2020), which you can reach 90% of the venues. We did not have a subway in 84, and traffic was not issue.

Yeah, but it has been proven that 'ready-made' venues don't win a bid. It's already happened with the grandest of European cities, Paris. What more of another spread-out American city that really isn't one of the prettiest? I wish LA boosters would realize that 1984 was a fluke in that there were NO other bidders; and that LA, on its merits alone, would NOT win a second round. NOT UNLESS there were no other cities bidding again.

It is a paradox of the IOC that with the left side of their mouth they will say: we want a frugal games with no white elephants." Yet at the same time, out of the right side, what comes out is: Yes, we want to see those brand-new facilities built especially for us!! The USOC, since it knows these people up close, have wisely chosen not to present a has-been (candidate) again.

I think Africa city can bid for 2020. I don't know of any yet. It's really time to look into this IOC that operates these Games within the big countries only.

After Montreal in '76 especially, countries weren't exactly lining up to host the games...Los Angeles revived the Olympic movement by making a profit for the city which was unheard of in prior games..After '84 popularity for the games grew again thanks to the superb job LA did in organizing the games.

When it comes to ready made venues, I think the IOC rather venues built than having promised venues to be shot down by politicians a short time after, a la the proposed Olympic Stadium/ SF 49ers new stadium..Which killed the SF 2016 bid.

When it comes to ready made venues, I think the IOC rather venues built than having promised venues to be shot down by politicians a short time after, a la the proposed Olympic Stadium/ SF 49ers new stadium..Which killed the SF 2016 bid.

Actually, the proposed new SF 49ers (Olympic) stadium at Bay View-Hunters Point was doomed, NOT by SF's politicans -- but by the team's owner, John York. If anything, the SF political establishment was and is still hoping for a stadium and that the 49ers will stay in SF. As for the local politicians and the IOC, it is up to the locals to get their act together. All the IOC cares about is that the Organizing Committee and host city deliver on their part of the contract.

Archived