Which City In 2020?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

woa, baron, even 2016 is not decided yet about the winner, so 2020 will very depend on 2016 result

if Chicago win here are the racer for 2020

Europe

Madrid, Spain

Prague, Czech

Hamburg/Berlin, Germany

Rome, Italy

Bucharest or Budapest (sorry i forget, which city is in Hungary ? ), Hungary

St.Petersburg/Moscow, Russia

Asia

Tokyo, Japan

Busan, Korea

Taipeh/Kaohsioung, Taiwan (maybe...)

New Delhi, India

Doha, Qatar

Dubai, UEA

Africa

Capetown/Durban, South Africa

Lagos, Nigeria :P (is this possible ?? )

Australia

Melbourne/Brisbane, Australia (maybe...)

South America

Rio, Brazil (maybe...)

but 2016 is not for Chicago (I hope is for Rio), here are the racer

the different is just there is ot South America racer

North America :

Somewhere in USA

Toronto, Canada

Monterrey/Guadalajara, Mexico

Sorry, I forgot about this cities

Paris, France

Baku, Azerbaijan

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Istanbul, Turkey

But if Chicago win 2016, I think 2020 will be new frontiers war... so 2020 strong candidate are

Rio/Sao Paolo, Brazil

I hope more cities come from that region like

Cairo, Egypt

Lagos, Nigeria

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Santiago, Chile

:lol:

Sorry, I forgot about this cities

Paris, France

Baku, Azerbaijan

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Istanbul, Turkey

But if Chicago win 2016, I think 2020 will be new frontiers war... so 2020 strong candidate are

Rio/Sao Paolo, Brazil

I hope more cities come from that region like

Cairo, Egypt

Lagos, Nigeria

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Santiago, Chile

:lol:

U're going thru a whole long list again -- most of which I already listed. At this point, even 6 years from 2013, surely cities like Cairo and Lagos aren't going to figure in the mix. Paris will wait for 2024.

MY CHOICE: Chicago 2016 followed by Cape Town 2020

HOWEVER: If Rio wins I think we're looking at Tokyo or a European city for 2020. If a bid other than Chicago or Rio wins 2016 then 2020 is the USA's. Maybe NYC can make a comeback.

Hmm.... If Rio wins 2016, USA still have their chance in 2020... but 2016 50.01% will be Chicago and 2020 will be the battle of the new frontiers like Rio, Capetown... :D

Hmm.... If Rio wins 2016, USA still have their chance in 2020... but 2016 50.01% will be Chicago and 2020 will be the battle of the new frontiers like Rio, Capetown... :D

I kinda disagree with the first part, because traditionally the Games are not held in the same time zone for two consecutive Olympiads... BUT since 2016 seems to be USA's to lose, if they do lose, I believe the pressure for a North American Olympics will be even stronger. But I agree with the second part, 2020 will be very open.

I kinda disagree with the first part, because traditionally the Games are not held in the same time zone for two consecutive Olympiads... BUT since 2016 seems to be USA's to lose, if they do lose, I believe the pressure for a North American Olympics will be even stronger. But I agree with the second part, 2020 will be very open.

Rio & Chicago are not in the same time zone. ;)

I'm sure the IOC would love to have two consecutive games in the North American and South American Timezones = $$$$$$$

The last time it was held in this lucrative timezone was back in Atlanta 1996 and if you count the Winter games which is on a lower scale 2002 and upcoming 2010 games.

Who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if they award Rio 2016, then the USA/Canada/Mexico 2020.

It's too early to tell which of the the three will win at the moment even though one would think Chicago or Rio would have a slight edge over Tokyo due to geopolitics.

Actually, they're 3 hours apart. But there's also the fact that they are in 2 different continents, unlike Europe.

Oh, you're right, it's 3 hours. And you're right again that it's two continents (despite both being "America"). But since 1952, no two Olympiads have been held consecutively within time zones separated no less than 6 hours. Heck, it's a stat like any other.

The cultural aspect that you're talking about are known by the terms "Latin & Anglo" America. But geographically speaking, it's North & South America, 2 different continents on 2 different hemispheres. Some people confuse (or like to confuse) the terms by saying anything south of the U.S. is "South" America. Which is wrong because the term for that is "Latin" America. Mexico & Central America is part of "North" America.

About continental, there is 2 version about america continental, one version said that, there is just one continental called America, but the other said there are north america and south america(based on their cultural)

But of course, in Olympic rings-ology, the Americas are grouped as one - the Red Zone!! :lol:

Thanks ...

We must wait the 2016 result to have a better idea ...

But you forget one important thing : Jacques Rogge will leave the presidency of the IOC in 2009, or in 2013 ... And if we get a new president who works like Samaranch ( he helps certain cities ), the result can be totally different and 2 games in the same zone can be possible !

But you forget one important thing : Jacques Rogge will leave the presidency of the IOC in 2009, or in 2013 ... And if we get a new president who works like Samaranch ( he helps certain cities ), the result can be totally different and 2 games in the same zone can be possible !

Rogge can stay on for another term, also like Samaranch -- if he's done a good job and there isn't a super-super-ambitious IOC'er who wants to grab power immediately. The IOC makes rules it can break.

Rogge can stay on for another term, also like Samaranch -- if he's done a good job and there isn't a super-super-ambitious IOC'er who wants to grab power immediately. The IOC makes rules it can break.

I highly doubt it.

I think he will stand for re-election in 2009 and will probably be re-elected but I don't see him changing the Olympic Charter to stay on board after 2013:

1. - he will be 71 in 2013 and he has already aged a lot since he was elected (it's quite impressive to compare pix of him now and back in 2000),
  2. there will be some candidates (Bach definitely, Heiberg probably...)
  3. Rogge is not Samaranch

I just wanted to add this.

Just wondering, is the general consensus at these boards is that it will be between Chicago and Rio?

I think the general consensus is that Chicago is the early front runner, Tokyo isn't far behind and Rio is a bit behind the 8 ball for a number of factors (WC 2014, economics, security, etc). Also seems that Madrid and Prague are discounted because of London. No one is giving much credence to Baku. And Doha is a black horse that could add some surprise to the mix. Still pretty early though.

If Chicago fails, I suspect the USA will gun for 2020 - depending on the numbers, of course. If Chicago loses with a dozen votes on the first ballot, they might reconsider the whole thing. And if they lose by one vote on the final ballot, they are likely to go again with Chicago. In that case, I wonder if Toronto would go for it?

With the exposure and experience from WC 2010, it appears that 2020 is a good year for Cape Town to make a go at it. And I'm sure the Europeans will toss in a few bids - although I wonder what Paris is thinking? Also wonder if Rio or another South American city (BA?) would make a go if they don't land 2016?

I don't see a bid from Australia coming for a while.

Archived