Cauldron Lighting

mattygs

I'd like to see some kinds of dragon themed lighting. How about if a dragon is brought into the stadium and then its flame is lit (with the torch), and then (forgive me, I don't know the technicalities of this kind of thing) they increase the pressure of the fuel (I don't know if anyone remembers but the Queen lit something similar in the mall during the Golden Jubilee celebrations, it was like a flame that shot 30ft into the air), and they flame then lights the cauldron?

I hope this makes sense! Probably not lol

Something similar to the Sydney Paralympic Opening ceremony cauldron lighting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, here it is - dammit!!

One possibility (as I already said) is a cauldron dish lit in the center of the field, surrounded by the athletes, then soaring by wires to the top of a tower outside the stadium.

Just watched the Athens 2004 Paralympics' lighting -- and it's exactly like you envisioned it -- and had a little Albertville-Atlanta ball-of-fire-on-a-wire thingy; and also a precursor to Stefania Belmondo's lighting of the Torino cauldron. Same thing, except the final Athens 2004 lighter was a one-armed guy who very gingerly lit a little stand (like Belmondo's) which then linked to the wire which then ignited the fireworks which then lit all the way to the cauldron. So, except for the ball-of-fire-on-a-wire, it was exactly like Belmondo's set-up!! No new ideas in the Mediterranean area?

So it's been done twice already, recently. I don't think they would try that m.o. a 3rd consecutive time.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Oh, here it is - dammit!!

Just watched the Athens 2004 Paralympics' lighting -- and it's exactly like you envisioned it -- and had a little Albertville-Atlanta ball-of-fire-on-a-wire thingy; and also a precursor to Stefania Belmondo's lighting of the Torino cauldron. Same thing, except the final Athens 2004 lighter was a one-armed guy who very gingerly lit a little stand (like Belmondo's) which then linked to the wire which then ignited the fireworks which then lit all the way to the cauldron. So, except for the ball-of-fire-on-a-wire, it was exactly like Belmondo's set-up!! No new ideas in the Mediterranean area?

So it's been done twice already, recently. I don't think they would try that m.o. a 3rd consecutive time.

??? :blink: I never talked about a flame climbing up a wire but about the whole cauldron dish being drawn by wires to the top of the cauldron tower. You know -- a little bit Sydney-like but this time with a dish soaring "freely" through the sky instead of being permanently connected to the stands while climbing up. That's something completely different from that "burning wire" concept.

But actually we don't have to discuss that again because we had already ruled that concept out.

I'm new to this forum. Thank you for Letting me post.

*********** POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT**************

This is not a theory or a fact. This is not an imagination from a zealot nor is this a hypotesis of a mental patient. I can not disclose the origin of this information, so bare with me.

The mystery of the cauldron has always been a highlight of the opening ceremonies. B.O.C. made it a fact that this will be the best OC in olympic history. They emphasized the importance of showing the world of their culture through the pagentry of their OC. The lighting of the cauldron, and the cauldron itself, remains a secret....until now.

1.) IF the BOC wanted the cauldron visible, not only for the spectators inside but the general public outside, they MAY have the cauldron in the center of the opening of the roof.

2.) IF the BOC wanted the cauldron to be original and to be the talk of Olympic history for decades to come, they MAY seek inspiration from a certain drawing done by a Chinese architect prior to their Bird's Nest decision. (olympic.ballparks.com click onto beijing 2008)

3.) IF the BOC wanted a "Ribbon" configuration type cauldron, they MAY have "Five" different colored Metal ribbons that is segmented and sectioned together with cable and pulleys. This MAY allow the "Ribbons" to come down, and then retract back up. It MAY be long enough so the hieght of it can be seen for all to see. All this MAY be supported by the lattice work of the stadium. After all, they are hallow and can accomodate a lot of wires or tubing. Yet strong enough to hold such a "Concept." They MAY hide the "Ribbons" cauldron flat along the inside of the opening of the roof. It is 40 mt. tall inside of the rim. They MAY have the nozzles for the cauldron at the far ends of the "Ribbons."

4.) IF the BOC wanted a torchbearer to light these "Five Ribbons", they MAY take five different athletes from the five different continents to light each ribbon. They may also take the past, present, and future olympians to light their respective "Ribbons" to correlate with their origin.

5.) IF the BOC wanted consultation from Steven Spielberg, it wouldn't be in art direction and choreography, it MAY be animatronics and robotics.

6.) IF the BOC wanted experts in natural gas and the applications and uses, they MAY consult Duke Power from Charlotte, NC. They played a big roll in the mechanics of the Sydney cauldron. And for strict measure, they MAY have consulted the leading Russian Natural Gas company. After all, Russia is the leader in NG. They control 80% of the world supply of natural gas.

7.) IF the BOC really wanted to be original, they MAY change the configuration of the "Ribbons" every day, say 16 different configurations.

And finally....

8.) IF the BOC didn't want their concept out, they MAY have given more time off for a certain worker so he wouldn't have to go through a divorce with his jaded wife......... Those divorced wives love telling secrets!!!!!

Thank you for your time and your thoughts.... this is my first and last post. Remember me when the cauldron is revealed!

thanks Leo Gemini!!!!!

I'm new to this forum. Thank you for Letting me post.

*********** POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT**************

This is not a theory or a fact. This is not an imagination from a zealot nor is this a hypotesis of a mental patient. I can not disclose the origin of this information, so bare with me.

The mystery of the cauldron has always been a highlight of the opening ceremonies. B.O.C. made it a fact that this will be the best OC in olympic history. They emphasized the importance of showing the world of their culture through the pagentry of their OC. The lighting of the cauldron, and the cauldron itself, remains a secret....until now.

1.) IF the BOC wanted the cauldron visible, not only for the spectators inside but the general public outside, they MAY have the cauldron in the center of the opening of the roof.

2.) IF the BOC wanted the cauldron to be original and to be the talk of Olympic history for decades to come, they MAY seek inspiration from a certain drawing done by a Chinese architect prior to their Bird's Nest decision. (olympic.ballparks.com click onto beijing 2008)

3.) IF the BOC wanted a "Ribbon" configuration type cauldron, they MAY have "Five" different colored Metal ribbons that is segmented and sectioned together with cable and pulleys. This MAY allow the "Ribbons" to come down, and then retract back up. It MAY be long enough so the hieght of it can be seen for all to see. All this MAY be supported by the lattice work of the stadium. After all, they are hallow and can accomodate a lot of wires or tubing. Yet strong enough to hold such a "Concept." They MAY hide the "Ribbons" cauldron flat along the inside of the opening of the roof. It is 40 mt. tall inside of the rim. They MAY have the nozzles for the cauldron at the far ends of the "Ribbons."

4.) IF the BOC wanted a torchbearer to light these "Five Ribbons", they MAY take five different athletes from the five different continents to light each ribbon. They may also take the past, present, and future olympians to light their respective "Ribbons" to correlate with their origin.

5.) IF the BOC wanted consultation from Steven Spielberg, it wouldn't be in art direction and choreography, it MAY be animatronics and robotics.

6.) IF the BOC wanted experts in natural gas and the applications and uses, they MAY consult Duke Power from Charlotte, NC. They played a big roll in the mechanics of the Sydney cauldron. And for strict measure, they MAY have consulted the leading Russian Natural Gas company. After all, Russia is the leader in NG. They control 80% of the world supply of natural gas.

7.) IF the BOC really wanted to be original, they MAY change the configuration of the "Ribbons" every day, say 16 different configurations.

And finally....

8.) IF the BOC didn't want their concept out, they MAY have given more time off for a certain worker so he wouldn't have to go through a divorce with his jaded wife......... Those divorced wives love telling secrets!!!!!

Thank you for your time and your thoughts.... this is my first and last post. Remember me when the cauldron is revealed!

thanks Leo Gemini!!!!!

Isn't someone going to comment on this?!

Isn't someone going to comment on this?!

Well, it's certainly an intriguing leak, and if true could well be up there with the Beijing logo discovery as a GamesBid coup. I haven't checked the links he posted, though, to see if they pan out.

I suppose, though, we'll only find out if it's true when the actual ceremony happens, or BOCOG or the IOC asks you to delete the post!

Well, I was pretty irritated when I read that comment of Leo Gemini last night. Usually one would like to say, "Oh come on, that's just the blabbing of someone who wants to be important". But then, this "blabbing" actually makes sense and includes information which "the usual internet troll" doesn't know. For example, the Duke Power thing: Actually the company is named Duke Energy, but it resides in Charlotte, NC indeed and supplied the Sydney Olympics with natural gas:

Duke Energy International Completes $297 Million Australian Pipeline

And the drawing Leo Gemini talked about can be found at http://olympics.ballparks.com/ (Leo Gemini forgot the s in "olympics"). The direct link is http://olympics.ballparks.com/2008China/index.htm.

And so the drawing is from the concept for the Guangdong Olympic Stadium used for the Chinese National Games in 2001:

aerial.jpg

By the way: In fact, Guangdong obviously used a rather casual cauldron for the National Games instead (look at the lower picture):

Guangdong Olympic Stadium @ World Stadiums

The only thing I don't understand is: Which opening ceremony planner would be so indiscreet and tell his wife so many details about the planning of the cauldron -- and she would even remember all that? That's the only thing where I still have certain doubts regarding Leo Gemini's comment. But whether it's the truth or a lie: The concept actually makes sense. At least it's something to speculate about.

The only thing I don't understand is: Which opening ceremony planner would be so indiscreet and tell his wife so many details about the planning of the cauldron -- and she would even remember all that? That's the only thing where I still have certain doubts regarding Leo Gemini's comment. But whether it's the truth or a lie: The concept actually makes sense. At least it's something to speculate about.

That doesn't faze me _ pillow talk is pillow talk, corporate secrecy doesn't extend to the family bedroom in most cases IMO (I wouldn't hesitate blabbing just about anything to my partner).

As to the rest. It sounds plausible, but who knows? It could be the basis for a bit of sleuthing by someone here, though.

Thanks for digging up those links and the pic, Olympian 2004 _ you're right, the lack of an "s" through my search out.

Edited by Sir Roltel

Sorry, I hadn't noticed that Baron already posted the link to that Ballparks website.

However, I've also found an article which proves that Duke Energy also supplied the gas for Sydney's Olympic cauldron:

Rick Priory addresses the Business Today Forum in New York City

In Asia Pacific, we’re meeting the demands of a newly competitive wholesale energy market. Just three months ago, we completed the 495-mile Eastern Gas Pipeline in Australia, bringing competition to that country’s natural gas market for the first time. (And we’re especially proud of the fact that we supplied the gas for the Olympic Games in Sydney, and the international beacon of competition - the Olympic flame!)

Prove that.

The fact that it will not happen in the nebulous ways LG is hinting at, will be proof enough. :P And you disprove that it cannot happen.

There is a VAST difference between fanciful renditions on paper and the ACTUALITY of it. Once the other layers of the Ceremonies are out there on the infield, you/they/BOCOG will find that one will be extremely limited by what practical opportunities remain to create a truly original lighting scheme. Once in awhile, you get lucky like in Barcelona; but to top something like Sydney's, the whole stadium would have to have been designed AROUND the lighting scenario -- exactly how Birch conceived and executed it for Sydney. He was in on it from the start -- from the moment Sydney was awarded the Games.

London could have a shot at something truly DARING and original if they conceive of their lighting scheme at this time and incorporate its 'executability' (for lack of a better word) within the stadium designs now.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The fact that it will not happen in the nebulous ways LG is hinting at, will be proof enough. :P And you disprove that it cannot happen.

There is a VAST difference between fanciful renditions on paper and the ACTUALITY of it. Once the other layers of the Ceremonies are out there on the infield, you/they/BOCOG will find that one will be extremely limited by what practical opportunities remain to create a truly original lighting scheme. Once in awhile, you get lucky like in Barcelona; but to top something like Sydney's, the whole stadium would have to have been designed AROUND the lighting scenario -- exactly how Birch conceived and executed it for Sydney. He was in on it from the start -- from the moment Sydney was awarded the Games.

London could have a shot at something truly DARING and original if they conceive of their lighting scheme at this time and incorporate its 'executability' (for lack of a better word) within the stadium designs now.

The stadium could very well have been designed with the lighting in the mind.

But how? Plus the fact that the IOC has to approve it first.

How do you know that IOC hasn't already approved it before the National Stadium was built?

And you talked about the limits imposed by the layers on the infield: In Leo Gemini's concept, the infield isn't used (at least not on a larger scale). He or she said that the ribbons are hid at the rim of the roof opening during the ceremony, then extending down to the ground (probably the running track where the five igniters are positioned), then retracting upwards and (as I interpret it) somehow entangling to a "cauldron" in the air above the centre of the field. You don't need much space in or around the infield for that -- the main action takes place in the air.

6.) IF the BOC wanted experts in natural gas and the applications and uses, they MAY consult Duke Power from Charlotte,NC. They played a big roll in the mechanics of the Sydney cauldron. And for strict measure, they MAY have consulted the leading Russian Natural Gas company. After all, Russia is the leader in NG. They control 80% of the world supply of natural gas.

Hi Olympian,

I read this messeage several time but I didn't get the idea. As far as I understand, this guy/gal is trying to show him/herself a very secret agent of background and his/her idea is some how mixture of Losangeles, Atlanta and Torino's lightining ceremony.

According to his idea there will be 5 different rods (a/c to him ribbons) from torchbearer to main caludron but his idea and explaination about main cauldron is very unclear, I read the whole situation again anad again but still I am unable to understand his concept. Please tell me what is the cauldron in his concept so that I can draw an exact picture.

On other hand I saw some new photos of Birds nest on gettyimages. they arre covering inner roof of the stadium (steel net) with some polyfabric type material and I am very sure that they will use it as screen for projections and ligitning to creat mood.

China has a very vast history like Greeks and Romans and they have lot of things to make cauldron. But as you know and every one knows here that usually summer Olympic organizers avoid division of flame and usually use only one flame, one cauldron and one bearer so I think Gemini's idea is little childish to me.

If I am wrong and I miss understood his idea, please guide me so that I can draw the whole situation for clear explanation.

Sure, of course our Zodiac poster might be a cock-tease. Or they just might be on to something. It seems to me a legitimate and viable theory, and the additional info he posted so far seems to have panned out.

I'm open minded, but I'd certainly like to see some evidence from another source before I'll start to be confident in it.

Hi Olympian,

I read this messeage several time but I didn't get the idea. As far as I understand, this guy/gal is trying to show him/herself a very secret agent of background and his/her idea is some how mixture of Losangeles, Atlanta and Torino's lightining ceremony.

According to his idea there will be 5 different rods (a/c to him ribbons) from torchbearer to main caludron but his idea and explaination about main cauldron is very unclear, I read the whole situation again anad again but still I am unable to understand his concept. Please tell me what is the cauldron in his concept so that I can draw an exact picture.

On other hand I saw some new photos of Birds nest on gettyimages. they arre covering inner roof of the stadium (steel net) with some polyfabric type material and I am very sure that they will use it as screen for projections and ligitning to creat mood.

China has a very vast history like Greeks and Romans and they have lot of things to make cauldron. But as you know and every one knows here that usually summer Olympic organizers avoid division of flame and usually use only one flame, one cauldron and one bearer so I think Gemini's idea is little childish to me.

If I am wrong and I miss understood his idea, please guide me so that I can draw the whole situation for clear explanation.

I understand the concept as follows:

Five long metal ribbons will be joined with the rim of the stadium's roof. The ribbons will either be situated on only one side of the roof or at both sides (i.e. above the main grandstand and the opposite grandstand). During the ceremony, those ribbons will be "hidden" flat along the rim of the roof, i.e. they will be pressed against the rim of the roof. When the torch arrives, the ribbons will unfold and stretch down to the ground where five final torchbearers stand to light each ribbon. The gas nozzles from which the fire will burn are located at the end of each ribbon. After being lit, the ribbons will go back up and interlock somehow, perhaps recreating a ball, a ring or something like that -- that way, the five separate flames will unite to one big flame. In that configuration, the flame will hover above the centre of the infield (due to the length of the ribbons).

Take a look at the drawing of Guangdong Olympic Stadium posted above, too -- there you see how such a "burning ribbons uniting to a cauldron" concept could look like. But there it appears as if only two ribbons are used there.

The way I see it, perhaps it is impractical. But then again, so was having a cauldron rise out of a flowing water feature sloshing down the middle of the spectator stands and then hovering up to the edge of the stadium (and that almost didn't work on the night), or a giant joint bending down to be lit. Or the Vancouver "Ring of Fire" proposal that seems to light up so many people's fantasies.

When it comes to Olympic ceremony one-upmanship, I'm sure the Chinese are determined to come up with something that'll blow all previous cauldrons and lightings out of the water.

Check out the cauldron on this link:

mms://wms1.streamhoster.com/mzhu/wm9_400_national%20stadium.wmv

Edited by Sir Roltel