Cauldron Lighting

mattygs

Of course this would all be speculation, but anyone have any ideas on how they could light the cauldron in Beijing, or even what the cauldron could possible look like.

While not so much in Athens, but with Sydney, there were many people mooting the water element.

So what for Beijing?

Im thinking that it mite be a cool idea to integrate the Phoenix, which is at the core of the torch relay graphic design pattern. Maybe lighting something representing a Pheonix that would fly up to a cauldron located *somewhere* in the stadium.

Any other ideas, or even news on the design of the cauldron?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I'd like to know where the cauldron will be situated. Since you all ruled out a cauldron above the field, it actually can only be a cauldron tower outside the stadium (the Torino model) or at the edge of the field (the Seoul model). I don't think that there's any chance of a "flap" opening in the bird nest's structure -- the structure is too heavy to do that.

Maybe something like Barcelona 92... a modern version??

Since the Big O of Montreal in 1976, next year's Birds Nest will be the most enclosed Olympic Stadium. (I think even more so than Seoul's stadium.) If a "flap" in the upper reaches (my guess would be opposite the IOC/VIP viewing stand) is not employed, then it would have to be something a la Montreal/Seoul -- but less than exciting.

I'm guessing Birch and BOCOG will go for a 'flap' or something that will open like a 2-door cabinet. After all, they've already cut back on a lot of the trussed roof (and it'll burn only for 17 days) -- so how heavy could that be? I can picture it already. As the "flap(s)" open up, a thousand voices rise to a crescendo; and then Yao Ming lights the flame. What's 2 additional motors to open up the cut roof, with a budget of some $40 billion? And after the Games, they'll just solder the opening shut.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I'm guessing Birch and BOCOG will go for a 'flap.' After all, they cut back on a lot of the trussed roof already (and it'll burn only for 17 days) -- so how heavy could that be?

It's certainly heavy enough.

I can picture it already. As the "flap(s)" open up, a thousand voices rise to a crescendo; and then Yao Ming lights the flame. What's 2 additional motors to open up the cut roof, with a budget of some $40 billion? And after the Games, they'll just solder the opening shut.

Such a cauldron has a big disadvantage: Unless it didn't rise very high above the roof, the flame would be pretty invisible for the audience -- because the roof around the flap would be in the way. And it wouldn't look good from the outside if the flame stuck out of the roof, somehow separated from the events in the stadium.

What would be really cool is if they used a cauldron tower outside the stadium, but this time igniting the actual flame bowl or flame dish directly in the stadium, and then letting it soar to the tower by wires. OK, it would be a mixture of Atlanta, Sydney and Torino -- but it would guarantee very spectacular pictures.

I expect something bombastic anyway -- the Chinese don't do bland, as Lord Coe would say. Just think of the giant robot igniting the flame at the 2005 National Games in Nanjing:

1012_I58.jpg

I think London is reserving a flying robot (actually a Mary Poppins) to light its flame in 2012. So Beijing can't do that. Maybe Yao Ming dressed as a terra-cotta warrior. :lol: (But those Ceremonies for the Chinese Games in Nanjing are too raucous and messy. Too much going on at the same time.)

My guess is still a cauldron rising thru an opening in the roof -- more a la Nagano than anything else. But hey, they could come up with something else.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

In my point of view, The cauldron will be mounted on the inside oval edge of stadium roof, it will be circular in shape like disc pattern of Sydney and it will be mounted by two hydrolic rods. In this style they can move cauldron around the stadium and they can use hydrolics to extend or contact its structure. Here is my drawing for easier explanation:

cauldronaj1.th.jpg

I know it will not be done, but how about a dragon dance type of lighting the Olympic flame? You see, in the dragon dance itself, the dragon is carried by many people from head to tail. But, within that dance, it (the dragon) follows some "ball" that is carried by one person at the front. It signifies the pearl. The second-last torchbearer lights that ball and the true and final torchbearer will take it. On top of that, it will attract that dragon and follow him/her to the very place, where the Olympic cauldron will be lit. The final act, of course, is the actual lighting. For those who do not know about what the dragon dance is like, then click on the link below.

Link: A Small Sample Quicktime Clip of a Basic Dragon Dance

In my point of view, The cauldron will be mounted on the inside oval edge of stadium roof, it will be circular in shape like disc pattern of Sydney and it will be mounted by two hydrolic rods. In this style they can move cauldron around the stadium and they can use hydrolics to extend or contact its structure. Here is my drawing for easier explanation:

cauldronaj1.th.jpg

Uh-huh. And risk fuel spilling onto the field and/or the spectators? :rolleyes: Nope. The IOC and BOCOG won't risk it. How can you be sure there won't be a fuel leak in this scheme?

Uh-huh. And risk fuel spilling onto the field and/or the spectators? :rolleyes: Nope. The IOC and BOCOG won't risk it. How can you be sure there won't be a fuel leak in this scheme?

Or the whole structure falling onto the field... while the football final is being played? :ph34r:

I don't think it will be mounted along the roof edge; from what I recall, no cauldron was positioned hanging over the spectators or the stadium field.

Perhaps they'll go Turin and built it on a tower that will rise, from behind a stand, through the roof's steel network and will reach a height that will allow the maximum number of spectators inside the stadium to see it. :unsure: It would always be difficult for everyone to see it because of the way the whole stadium is covered. Either they put it inside the stadium and we'll return to the old days - I don't see much space for it with the track and field - or risk having a considerably sized burning structure hovering over the field.

Or the whole structure falling onto the field... while the football final is being played? :ph34r:

I don't think it will be mounted along the roof edge; from what I recall, no cauldron was positioned hanging over the spectators or the stadium field.

Not even that.

1. The rim of the roof wil be used primarily for theatrical lighting, aerial rigging and for other effects.

2. There will be no element of surprise. When everyone walks in, the thing is already hanging there in midair for everyone to see. So, where's the surprise?

3. How will they get Yao Ming (who I think will be the final lighter) to light it from up there?

4. What kind of a view would it offer? A ring of fire seen from the bottom? Not very spectacular.

Surely there has to be a better way.

Yeah, that's why this time it's even more unpredictable. To the amusement/despair of us, Olympic followers.

But the only feasible way --- and at the same time still offering elements of surprise and drama -- is what I have been saying all along: for the cauldron to rise, hidden from view until the last possible moment, in the upper reaches of the stadium bleachers.

And then it will get lit; and then rise a little higher thru an opening in the roof. That's how I would do it.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

But the only feasible way --- and at the same time still offering elements of surprise and drama -- is what I have been saying all along: for the cauldron to rise, hidden from view until the last possible moment, in the upper reaches of the stadium bleachers.

And then it will get lit; and then rise a little higher thru an opening in the roof. That's how I would do it.

Yeah, that's what I said in a few posts above:

Perhaps they'll go Turin and built it on a tower that will rise, from behind a stand, through the roof's steel network and will reach a height that will allow the maximum number of spectators inside the stadium to see it. :unsure:

Perhaps they'll go Turin and built it on a tower that will rise, from behind a stand, through the roof's steel network and will reach a height that will allow the maximum number of spectators inside the stadium to see it.

Except in my scenario for Beijing, the cauldron tower would not be OUTSIDE of the stadium. Rather, its base would be (like Sydney's) in the upper reaches of the bleachers; so when it is lit, it is within full view of the inside of the Birds Nest. And then as the flame reaches its full size, the cauldron stem would rise (a la Nagano) thru an opening in the roof, so that the flame could then be seen miles around.

Except in my scenario for Beijing, the cauldron tower would not be OUTSIDE of the stadium. Rather, its base would be (like Sydney's) in the upper reaches of the bleachers; so when it is lit, it is within full view of the inside of the Birds Nest. And then as the flame reaches its full size, the cauldron stem would rise (a la Nagano) thru an opening in the roof, so that the flame could then be seen miles around.

What rising Nagano cauldron are you talking about? The Nagano cauldron didn't move at all, it was static. Don't you rather mean Sydney's cauldron? There the stem did rise indeed.

What rising Nagano cauldron are you talking about? The Nagano cauldron didn't move at all, it was static. Don't you rather mean Sydney's cauldron? There the stem did rise indeed.

You're right. I was confusing Midori Ito's rising with the stem of her cauldron also rising. What do they say? The Sun Also Rises!! :lol:

But indeed, Sydney's stem did also rise. Once you've seen one rising cauldron, you've seen them all. ;)

My idea was the same, I might not have explained with all details. I didn't say the cauldron stem would be located outside the stadium, just behind a stand and would rise through the roof steel network.

Anyway, I wonder if there's enough space between the roof and the upper edge of a stand for the cauldron to appear and be ignited...

371082.jpg

In my imagination, the fire will lighted one by one on the watch towers of the Great Wall. It's a symbol of spreading the fire and spirit and the signal of the beginnig of the competition. At least ten of the watch towes should be lighted. Ten representatives will light the fire respectively, such as Deng Yaping, Yao Ming, and some from other continents and other trade, Stephen Hawking maybe.

At last, a cauldron tower built between the Bird Nest and the Water Cube, right located on the mid line of Beijing City, a symbol of dignity, will be lighted. I don't how it will be lighted but it should be a hi-tech and modern way. Liu Xiang will be the final one.

Spectators in the stadiam will watch the process through the big screens. Those in front of the TVs will have a better view, like watching a movie. It a combination of remote antiquity and modern world, which carries forward the Olympic Spririt. I think it will be great.

Anyway, I wonder if there's enough space between the roof and the upper edge of a stand for the cauldron to appear and be ignited...

371082.jpg

It looks like there is -- especially in the longways stretch of the stadium. The bleachers rise higher in the long sides so that the roof there also rises higher to give better sightlines to the highest seats. Look at this image of the Seoul Olympic Stadium to get an idea. I believe the slope of the Birds Nest's roof sort of follows (the slope of) Seoul's stadium.

So yes, there is definitely is enough room there -- PLUS they can always take away a few rows of seats to accommodate the contraption.

http://www.fotosearch.com/ICN239/f0020397/

Edited by baron-pierreIV

So yes, there is definitely is enough room there -- PLUS they can always take away a few rows of seats to accommodate the contraption.

Indeed, they can do that.

I also had another idea - they could reserve an area on one of the top stands for the device to be just placed there, in perfect sight for every spectator - but then I remembered the much-needed element of surprise. Unless they could hide it very well (unlikely).

I start to believe that your (also mine) idea is the one with the best chances.