Euro 2008 Austria-switzerland

Away matches are not the same as home matches! It will be difficult for NI in Spain and Sweden! It look like that NI is a team for big matches and they loose against the smaller teams! It´s little fake! They are not so good as they look to be! Denmark is a better team than NI!

Then I don't understand why Denmark played Northern Ireland 0-0 at home.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Away matches are not the same as home matches! It will be difficult for NI in Spain and Sweden! It look like that NI is a team for big matches and they loose against the smaller teams! It´s little fake! They are not so good as they look to be! Denmark is a better team than NI!

Of course it will be difficult. It always is for any team going to those nations. But to dismiss Northern Ireland as a team that raises its game against so-called bigger nations is disrespectful. They would not be in the position that they are in if they were.

Today were played some friendly matches before the round of the Euro qualification.

Argentina finally won... 1:0 against Australia at Melbourne (I was impressed with a lot of birds inside the stadium. To the Aussies, is that common in MCG?)

In the second match with Marcelo Bielsa in the Chilean bench, La Roja defeated Austria 2:0. Austria played really bad and I can't see them having a good performance next year. After 8 games without wins, I think Josef Hickersberger's days are over.

The other host country was also defeated. Japan won the match against Switzerland 4:3 after the Swiss were winning 2:0 in the first half.

Well, today's gonna be a highly exciting and, for some teams, already decisive matchday:

12/09 Grp E Andorra 18:00 Croatia

12/09 Grp F Iceland 18:05 Northern Ireland

12/09 Grp D Slovakia 18:30 Wales

12/09 Grp A Finland 19:00 Poland

12/09 Grp C Norway 19:00 Greece

12/09 Grp G Slovenia 19:45 Belarus

12/09 Grp D Cyprus 20:00 San Marino

12/09 Grp F Denmark 20:00 Liechtenstein

12/09 Grp C Bosnia-Herzegovina 20:00 Moldova

12/09 Grp E England 20:00 Russia

12/09 Grp B Lithuania 20:00 Faroe Islands

12/09 Grp C Turkey 20:30 Hungary

12/09 Grp E F.Y.R. Macedonia 20:30 Estonia

12/09 Grp D Czech Republic 20:30 Republic of Ireland

12/09 Grp G Bulgaria 20:30 Luxembourg

12/09 Grp G Albania 20:45 Netherlands

12/09 Grp A Kazakhstan 21:00 Belgium

12/09 Grp A Portugal 21:00 Serbia

12/09 Grp B France 21:00 Scotland

12/09 Grp B Ukraine 21:45 Italy

12/09 Grp F Spain 22:00 Latvia

We have three group leader duels: Finland vs. Poland, Norway vs. Greece and France vs. Scotland.

England has to defeat Russia, Turkey has to defeat Hungary, Portugal has to defeat Serbia, Italy has to defeat Ukraine and Spain has to defeat Latvia for staying in the race for the qualifying spots.

The Czech Republic could help Germany to a very early qualification if it defeated Ireland -- because then, Germany would only need to defeat or tie Ireland on October 13 to secure the qualification.

Germany itself is facing group G leader Romania today for a friendly in Cologne's World Cup Stadium.

All that drama, all that excitement! Don't you just love football?

Scotland has won. Now France is in trouble since Italy has defeated Ukraine 2-1, thus pushing France down from the first to the third rank of group B.

Besides Italy, the other troubled teams Turkey (3-0 win against Hungary) and of course England have delivered. Spain and Portugal have good prospects, both leading 1-0 against Latvia respectively Serbia after the first half.

The Czech Republic has defeated Ireland 1-0, thus giving Germany the chance of qualifying early at the match against Ireland on October 13.

And after a troublesome start, Germany has turned the match against Romania around and won 3-1. After a total of 14 matches, Jogi Löw can look back 12 victories, one draw and only one defeat under his lead -- so far the clearly best balance for a German national team coach ever.

Realistically, you'd have to say so. But we know to our cost that it is very dangerous to write Northern Ireland off and I certainly wouldn't entirely do so just yet. Anything less than a win against Sweden and that would be curtains. Shame that the wheels appear to be coming off, but they've enjoyed a superb campaign, far better than anything they've had over the past 10 or 15 years and I just hope they can maintain the upward curve towards the World Cup campaign.

Missed the match as I was at work. But had it on the radio and it sounded like Russia simply didn't turn up. All the reports this week have been about how England missed out on a great thing when they didn't get Gus Hiddink and the FA would come to regret not offering him the post. A draw in Moscow and wins in our remaining home games will be enough regardless of what anyone else does. Doable certainly, but this is England...

As for Scotland, bloody brilliant (I always like to see the Scots win even if the feeling isn't mutual). A double over the French is something fantastic. I wish I'd put a fiver on Scotland getting out of that group as what seemed an impossible task now seems more than possible.

1367538501_4102facaec_o.jpg

And Portugal was not able to defend its 1-0 lead for the rest of the match -- Branislav Ivanovic scored the 1-1 for Serbia in the 88th minute.

Now Portugal ranks third in group A, lagging two points behind second-ranked Finland. However, Portugal has relatively easy matches left -- against Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and Armenia with the match against Finland as the only serious task. In this group, I expect Poland and Portugal to qualify.

And Portugal was not able to defend its 1-0 lead for the rest of the match -- Branislav Ivanovic scored the 1-1 for Serbia in the 88th minute.

Now Portugal ranks third in group A, lagging two points behind second-ranked Finland. However, Portugal has relatively easy matches left -- against Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and Armenia with the match against Finland as the only serious task. In this group, I expect Poland and Portugal to qualify.

I'm not so sure anymore. <_< I hope this is a early-season syndrome and that they seriously awake from the lethargy they've been under these past two games. Not winning two home games in the last 2 minutes is absurd! :angry: We've already lost 6 points in 3 matches and we're having a smaller - if none already - error margin. Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan are already out - when we play Armenia they'll surely be out too - so they can put us an even harder fight for the points that we're forced to collect and they're not.

I hear people saying this was an easy group and it's a shame we're not leading it by comfortable margin, but I totally thought the opposite after the draw - this is the WORST group we've had since I remember and since we've got used to qualify for Euro and WC finals.

After this matches, Group D is pretty much clear, with Germany and Czech Republic going to the next round (Ireland has to win over Germany and the Czech lose against Cyprus, Germany and Slovakia to have chances). Also, I think that Sweden and Spain will qualify from Group F... Sweden has two easy matches against Liechtenstein and Latvia and they will end in the first place of the group... so the second will be fought by Spain and NI; both have matches against Denmark and Sweden and then the final match between them in Gran Canaria. And the three points that Spain has over NI at this moment will be very important. In the group G, the Netherlands will qualify after winning the matches against Slovenia, Belarus and Luxembourg, so the thing will be between Bulgaria and Romania. They have a match between them at Sofia but the Romanians have a little advantage in points so the next match between Romania and the Netherlands will be crucial.

Good for Scotland... I want to see them in the Euro 2008.

Barely act of God pretty much

Poland

Scotland

Croatia

Romania

Netherlands

Germany

Czech Republic

and Sweden

Group C is still wide up and I am really hoping for a Greek conquest of Turkey next month in Istanbul and hopefully Norway doesn't screw it against Bosnia and Malta and manages to either beat or draw Turkey at no more than 1-1. Than Norway will qualify. I also really do hope Finland qualifies. I would also love the miracle of Danish qualification, but Denmark would have to beat Spain, Northern Ireland, Iceland and Latvia to qualify.

After this matches, Group D is pretty much clear, with Germany and Czech Republic going to the next round (Ireland has to win over Germany and the Czech lose against Cyprus, Germany and Slovakia to have chances). Also, I think that Sweden and Spain will qualify from Group F... Sweden has two easy matches against Liechtenstein and Latvia and they will end in the first place of the group... so the second will be fought by Spain and NI; both have matches against Denmark and Sweden and then the final match between them in Gran Canaria. And the three points that Spain has over NI at this moment will be very important. In the group G, the Netherlands will qualify after winning the matches against Slovenia, Belarus and Luxembourg, so the thing will be between Bulgaria and Romania. They have a match between them at Sofia but the Romanians have a little advantage in points so the next match between Romania and the Netherlands will be crucial.

Good for Scotland... I want to see them in the Euro 2008.

In group F: Don´t count out Denmark! The have a match in the hand against Spain and NI. The are only two points behind NI. So I think the battle about the second place in the group will be between Spain, NI and Denmark.

sverige.gif

zlatan_1175156586.jpg

Great week for France...

Congrats to Scotland!

"It's hard to do better than that, scoring off your only shot," France coach Raymond Domenech said.

:o

All is not well in Portugal though:

"Portugal remain off the pace following a controversial 1-1 draw against Serbia. Simao Sabrosa opened the scoring with a brilliant free-kick before Marko Pantelic levelled two minutes from time.

But the real talking point came when Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari was involved in a confrontation with Serbia's Ivica Dragutinovic.

The Brazilian may face a fine, a touchline ban or worse after he appeared to throw a punch as the Sevilla man, but he denied any wrongdoing.

"I defended [Ricardo] Quaresma," he insisted. "[Dragutinovic] appeared in front of me but I did not touch him.""

Mmmmm....this suggests otherwise Mr Scholari...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U20pRbsAsFE

scolari.jpg

:blink:

In the world's mouths... for bad reasons, once again. This is getting so repetitive <_< Obviously, the news today haven't talked about anything else but this, the newspaper covers all show that instant. It's sickening. Nonetheless, I was utterly ashamed and embarrassed when that happened and I hope he gets the punishment he deserves from UEFA and FPF, for justice and fair-play's sake. A professional like he ought to be can't do that in front of his players, a packed stadium, and millions of TV-spectators.

However, I'm not going to crucify him for not being an emotionless robot; that only showed that, as a Brazilian, he was more Portuguese than some players who just "were not there" on the pitch, didn't play with their hearts and honored the shirt. Another detached coach would've probably never reacted that way. He's giving a press conference in 15 minutes - I hope he doesn't resign or something; despite everything, we have no one better than him, and his abandonment would create bigger problems than if he stayed.

Anyway, the origin of all this was the Serbian goal scored offside by a meter or more. Losing two points like that, in the last two minutes of a home match, can be extremely nerve-wracking, especially when this same situation had happened four days before. But honestly, a draw would be fair considering how bad we played and what a good technical team Serbia is. Just not with an offside goal. And like this wasn't enough, Merk didn't allow us to play the full extra-time. Then a Serbian player was injured and we didn't returned them the ball, and that's when it all started.

I hope you people understand that we do not review ourselves in these actions and us, Portuguese, are the first to blame (if not crucify) our own for their faults. We hate when our team behaves like that and when we're seen as "bad losers" and unsportsmanlike :(

Archived