Callaghan Nordic Venue Scandal

Here is an update I got from this weeks Business in Vancouver, for all of the interested viewers following the topic re: the Scandal surrounding the Vanoc & the Callaghan Valley Nordic Venue: :)

Business in Vancouver September 4-10, 2007; issue 932

NEWS HEADLINES

- 2010 Gold Rush

- Aquilini's 22-storey GM Place office tower has fall date with permit panel

- Countdown: 127 weeks until opening of the 2010 Winter Olympics.

- International Olympic Committee 2010 Coordination Commission set for return visit with VANOC brass

The circus is back in town. The good time gang known as the International Olympic Committee 2010 Coordination Commission is paying VANOC its second visit of 2007 from September 11 to 13. This time, the meetings, chaired by Rene Fasel, include the heads of the seven international sports federations that are sanctioning Vancouver 2010 competitions.

VANOC's next closed doors board meeting is September 19 in Whistler at an undisclosed location.

GM tower

Mark October 9 on your calendar.

That's when Francesco Aquilini's proposed 22-storey office tower connected to General Motors Place goes to the city's development permit panel. Aquilini wants to capitalize on downtown's hot office market, with its 3.5% vacancy rate and high rents that are second only to Calgary. Such an opportunity was a driving force behind Aquilini's interest in the arena.

The Peter Busby-designed edifice could affect VANOC's most important revenue-generating Games venue in 2010. VANOC already forked out $18.9 million – including $300,000 interest – for unspecified venue upgrades, such as buckets and buckets of paint to cover up the old Canucks colour scheme. It's also paying almost $4 million for 36 days' rent and projects $70 million revenue from ticket sales, merchandising and parking. Aquilini gets to keep food and beverage sales, which will be exponentially higher than parking.

A construction site at an all-important section of the arena – the corner of Griffiths Way and Expo Boulevard – that's used by broadcasters and those delivering all manner of goods would pose a significant logistical and security problem in 2010. But nobody has said a peep about how this can be avoided or mitigated if the sod is turned before the Games.

Maybe we'll find out on October 9.

Union fight

Aquilini's Vancouver Canucks got new uniforms. Aramark food and beverage workers at the Garage may get a new union.

UNITE HERE local 40 is staving off a raid launched by the B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union. Some 550 workers voted in July, but the ballots haven't been counted because the B.C. Labour Relations Board is considering UNITE HERE's complaint.

Powder Mountain update

Update: 2010 Gold Rush revealed last month that the RCMP is reviewing new 2010-related evidence in the never-ending Powder Mountain affair.

Now Ombudsman Kim Carter has heard the allegations of proponents Nan and Dianne Hartwick. The mother and daughter duo, who still want to build a four-season resort in the Callaghan Valley, were joined by lawyer Stuart Hankinson when they met with Carter on August 23 for an hour and a half. No details of the meeting were revealed.

Media buyer named

The other half of VANOC's advertising equation has been answered. The Hyphen Alliance – led by Vancouver's David Martin – was named creative agency of record in July. Cossette Media was quietly anointed media buyer in August. The value of the contract is a secret only VANOC and Cossette know.

Parent Cossette Communication Group is no stranger to VANOC or the Olympic movement. Blue chip clients include Bell, Coca-Cola, General Motors and McDonald's, all 2010 sponsors.

Downtown lowdown

While the Economist Intelligence Unit gives Vancouver high marks as the world's most livable city, the United Nations Population Fund painted a different picture when it released its State of the World Population 2007 in June.

An article accompanying the report described Vancouver's Downtown Eastside ghetto as "a two-kilometre square stretch of decaying rooming houses, seedy strip bars and shady pawnshops." Many of its 10,000 residents are homeless, drug- or alcohol-addicted and/or mentally ill. We know that. But did you know that the Hepatitis C rate is just below 70%, and HIV prevalence is estimated at 30%? That's comparable with Botswana, says the UNPF.

Only 127 weeks until the world media discovers "The Worst Neighbourhood in Canada" in a province that claims to be "The Best Place on Earth." •

2010goldrush@gmail.com Bob Mackin

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an update I got from this weeks Business in Vancouver, for all of the interested viewers following the topic re: the Scandal surrounding the Vanoc & the Callaghan Valley Nordic Venue: :)

Business in Vancouver September 4-10, 2007; issue 932

NEWS HEADLINES

- 2010 Gold Rush

- Aquilini's 22-storey GM Place office tower has fall date with permit panel

- Countdown: 127 weeks until opening of the 2010 Winter Olympics.

- International Olympic Committee 2010 Coordination Commission set for return visit with VANOC brass

The circus is back in town. The good time gang known as the International Olympic Committee 2010 Coordination Commission is paying VANOC its second visit of 2007 from September 11 to 13. This time, the meetings, chaired by Rene Fasel, include the heads of the seven international sports federations that are sanctioning Vancouver 2010 competitions.

VANOC's next closed doors board meeting is September 19 in Whistler at an undisclosed location.

GM tower

Mark October 9 on your calendar.

That's when Francesco Aquilini's proposed 22-storey office tower connected to General Motors Place goes to the city's development permit panel. Aquilini wants to capitalize on downtown's hot office market, with its 3.5% vacancy rate and high rents that are second only to Calgary. Such an opportunity was a driving force behind Aquilini's interest in the arena.

. Aquilini gets to keep food and beverage sales, which will be exponentially higher than parking.

A construction site at an all-important section of the arena – the corner of Griffiths Way and Expo Boulevard – that's used by broadcasters and those delivering all manner of goods would pose a significant logistical and security problem in 2010. But nobody has said a peep about how this can be avoided or mitigated if the sod is turned before the Games.

The Peter Busby-designed edifice could affect VANOC's most important revenue-generating Games venue in 2010. VANOC already forked out $18.9 million – including $300,000 interest – for unspecified venue upgrades, such as buckets and buckets of paint to cover up the old Canucks colour scheme. It's also paying almost $4 million for 36 days' rent and projects $70 million revenue from ticket sales, merchandising and parking

Maybe we'll find out on October 9.

Union fight

Aquilini's Vancouver Canucks got new uniforms. Aramark food and beverage workers at the Garage may get a new union.

UNITE HERE local 40 is staving off a raid launched by the B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union. Some 550 workers voted in July, but the ballots haven't been counted because the B.C. Labour Relations Board is considering UNITE HERE's complaint.

Powder Mountain update

Update: 2010 Gold Rush revealed last month that the RCMP is reviewing new 2010-related evidence in the never-ending Powder Mountain affair.

Now Ombudsman Kim Carter has heard the allegations of proponents Nan and Dianne Hartwick. The mother and daughter duo, who still want to build a four-season resort in the Callaghan Valley, were joined by lawyer Stuart Hankinson when they met with Carter on August 23 for an hour and a half. No details of the meeting were revealed.

Media buyer named

The other half of VANOC's advertising equation has been answered. The Hyphen Alliance – led by Vancouver's David Martin – was named creative agency of record in July. Cossette Media was quietly anointed media buyer in August. The value of the contract is a secret only VANOC and Cossette know.

Parent Cossette Communication Group is no stranger to VANOC or the Olympic movement. Blue chip clients include Bell, Coca-Cola, General Motors and McDonald's, all 2010 sponsors.

Downtown lowdown

While the Economist Intelligence Unit gives Vancouver high marks as the world's most livable city, the United Nations Population Fund painted a different picture when it released its State of the World Population 2007 in June.

An article accompanying the report described Vancouver's Downtown Eastside ghetto as "a two-kilometre square stretch of decaying rooming houses, seedy strip bars and shady pawnshops." Many of its 10,000 residents are homeless, drug- or alcohol-addicted and/or mentally ill. We know that. But did you know that the Hepatitis C rate is just below 70%, and HIV prevalence is estimated at 30%? That's comparable with Botswana, says the UNPF.

Only 127 weeks until the world media discovers "The Worst Neighbourhood in Canada" in a province that claims to be "The Best Place on Earth." •

2010goldrush@gmail.com Bob Mackin

This is sure interesting??? Hope all goes well.

]Powder[/b] Mountain update

Go for this too......soon all too prevail.

Thanks Bob for the News you do publish, and earseyeswideopen for putting it here.

I can see where the taxes are and will be outrages before 2010.....!!!!!

Hope I can afford a ticket for the games...yikes!!!!!

Yes, agenthuggles, it will be interesting to say the least, to see if any reporters actually do their jobs (seems too many journalists are being blocked by vested interests in the mainstream media for actually reporting the news these days, even in the State - it must be demoralizing) & ask the hard questions are asked of the IOC during their visit that begins today in Vancouver & all venues, including the Callaghan Valley Nordic site. Let us hope that Bob Mackin, who I agree has done a superb job in his columns to date, furthers the facts surrounding this scandal as we speak. He sure must have good Editors supporting him that believe in ethical, investigative reporting.

The public deserves the whole truth not just the sanitized version from the MSM who of course are too often part of the vested interests hooked into Vanoc etc. - read: like the buying of BIG advertising contracts - hint hint :rolleyes: I long for the good old days when the Vancouver Sun etc. used to do investigative reporting.

Wow - with an active RCMP investigation reopened with new evidence surrounding "players" directly linked to Vanoc & the Nordic Venue & the same characters to the derailment of a private sector international ski resort - couldn't get much more dramatic than that! Not to mention the new angle with the Ombudsman also on the case. Especially since I read in my research that the IOC was shielded from hearing the truth surrounding this growing scandal in 2003 - heads will roll on this one :( Wonder who the scapegoat will be?

They have a huge accommodation problem in neighboring Whistler/Blackcomb. The IOC are not happy about this. Think what a huge alpine resort from the private sector, could do for the Olympics with Todd Brooker attached, as the article stated - the World Cup Champion, former Crazy Canuck, now NBC exclusive analyst (I watch this guy doing his play by play every winter for CBC & NBC last year in Torino - do your avid skiier sons? The way I figure it is that he would never attach his name to a product unless it was top notch. It is an no brainer with all of us following this story. This whole scenario continues to stink - with the suspect linkages to anyone who 'gets it'. It will be fascinating to watch it unfold - oui :D

Whistler's skiing conditions are iffy as reported elsewhere on this site. The Callaghan Valley's snow conditions are far superior. Friends of ours say the alpine conditions are just out of this world. What is wrong with this whole picture???????

BTW - For any new viewers that happen across this site as I did through a Google Alert or just checking in to GB out of curiosity, if you are interested in Part 1, please refer to the topic below which was closed by someone:

"Vanoc Scandal: Callaghan Valley Nordic Venue: Cover-up"

That is where you will find the factual information that I stumbled upon in Business in Vancouver & the Whistler Pique (interesting that a Whistler paper would actually report all of this - I hear many residents are not happy about what is coming down surrounding Vanoc re: this unfolding scandal & other issues.

If anyone comes across any further reports on this issue, my associates & I would be appreciative if you would post them on this topic.

you know, you'd be a great Toronto Sun writer.....or maybe you could be Bill O'Reilly's advisor. :rolleyes:

The only thing here that deserves comments:

Whistler's skiing conditions are iffy as reported elsewhere on this site. The Callaghan Valley's snow conditions are far superior. Friends of ours say the alpine conditions are just out of this world. What is wrong with this whole picture???????

FYI, if you had done your homework you'd know the only skiing event at Whistler/Blackcomb are the downhill events, at Whistler Creekside on the other face of Whistler Mountain. And downhill Olympic runs are very rare, because of steep terrain grade requirements and particularly the long course length, and it's quite expensive to build such a run from scratch. It makes all the sense that an existing run is renovated and improved to host an Olympic event.....VANOC has spent $28-million on the Whistler Creekside venue, mostly to improve snow-making facilities.

The Callaghan Valley is unsuitable for downhill, it's only suitable for cross-country. I believe there are only two skiing runs in B.C. that are suitable, the first one is in Whistler and the second in another resort in the interior.

Thanks for the complement, Mr. X! I do enjoy writing - it goes with my research training.

The Callaghan Valley is unsuitable for downhill, it's only suitable for cross-country. I believe there are only two skiing runs in B.C. that are suitable, the first one is in Whistler and the second in another resort in the interior.

Give your head a shake :rolleyes: Mr. X! Then open those ears & eyes.

OK . . . . Johnny Furlong - fess up - you've been in hiding behind your computer spending hours on this site - why haven't you been at work for weeks on end? - tut tut, leaving all those problems with the disasters regarding accommodation, deep trouble over highway concerns. Shame on you!! I know, your former job as the Manager of the Arbutus Club is looking mighty good about now.Where have you been getting YOUR lessons from? References please for your statement above - lets hear the facts, sir.

Just as an aside: did you hear that VP Terry Wright couldn't come up with any solutions re: what happens with car accidents blocking the highway during the Olympics as it has several times in the last few days? That happened right at the base of the road into the Callaghan according to the news. He is kind of at a loss for words - I think he needs you to bail him out & fast!!

Speaking of doing one's homework with the right sources? Where on earth did you come across this fiction you spouted above? Could it be from all those land bureaucrats "players" named by Mackin that were deeply involved with the Bid & Vanoc, that are linked to the scandal?

Oh my side is aching from chuckling . . . Maybe you have missed your calling & should audition for the Comedy network :rolleyes:

So pray tell, Mr. X, do you really think that people trust what you believe or what World Champion Downhiller, Olympic competitor, Todd Brooker knows about the conditions for Alpine skiing in the Callaghan Valley? Why would someone of his stature associate himself with this resort company? Maybe you'd better ask Mr. Brooker first :D

Man alive, give me a break. Are you a Downhiller analyst? Better yet, have you ever been on skis?

So, tell us all, as what you know specifically about the Callaghan Valley topography and the alpine conditions which leads you to state with great grandstanding, the above silliness? I am sure that many people following this thread are waiting with bated breath.

Until then, have a good day . . . & don't forget the homework.

That was a little lewd, Ruling Czar, but . . . . by George, YOU GET IT!

You really DID make me laugh after a long day -Thanks :D

Thanks for the complement, Mr. X! I do enjoy writing - it goes with my research training.

Give your head a shake :rolleyes: Mr. X! Then open those ears & eyes.

OK . . . . Johnny Furlong - fess up - you've been in hiding behind your computer spending hours on this site - why haven't you been at work for weeks on end? - tut tut, leaving all those problems with the disasters regarding accommodation, deep trouble over highway concerns. Shame on you!! I know, your former job as the Manager of the Arbutus Club is looking mighty good about now.Where have you been getting YOUR lessons from? References please for your statement above - lets hear the facts, sir.

Just as an aside: did you hear that VP Terry Wright couldn't come up with any solutions re: what happens with car accidents blocking the highway during the Olympics as it has several times in the last few days? That happened right at the base of the road into the Callaghan according to the news. He is kind of at a loss for words - I think he needs you to bail him out & fast!!

Speaking of doing one's homework with the right sources? Where on earth did you come across this fiction you spouted above? Could it be from all those land bureaucrats "players" named by Mackin that were deeply involved with the Bid & Vanoc, that are linked to the scandal?

Oh my side is aching from chuckling . . . Maybe you have missed your calling & should audition for the Comedy network :rolleyes:

So pray tell, Mr. X, do you really think that people trust what you believe or what World Champion Downhiller, Olympic competitor, Todd Brooker knows about the conditions for Alpine skiing in the Callaghan Valley? Why would someone of his stature associate himself with this resort company? Maybe you'd better ask Mr. Brooker first :D

Man alive, give me a break. Are you a Downhiller analyst? Better yet, have you ever been on skis?

So, tell us all, as what you know specifically about the Callaghan Valley topography and the alpine conditions which leads you to state with great grandstanding, the above silliness? I am sure that many people following this thread are waiting with bated breath.

Until then, have a good day . . . & don't forget the homework.

First of all, you complain about how the Nordic Centre, being the most expensive 2010 venue, is costing too much.....but yet, you neglect the fact that building an entirely new downhill run would cost even more. The men's Downhill Olympic event requires a 800 metre to 1100 metre long run. Some hills in the Callaghan Valley are suitable for downhill, however there are challenges. If VANOC spent $28 million on Whistler Creekside on an existing venue, how much more would a completely new venue need? Don't forget the environmental damage, since you are proposing to build an entirely new facility: it also means you need another lodge, additional parking, more roads, more infrastructure, etc.

It's like the Pacific Coliseum: instead of building an entirely new venue for at least $100 million, VANOC spent $23 million on upgrades to this 15,000-seat facility that already exists.

You will differ, but actually most people - on the side of logic - would say you're absolutely off with your usual arrogant ways. ;) You're wasting your time here, Hartwick......and I've definitely wasted 5-minutes of my time responding to the likes of you.

Oh well, 885 days to go......

Mr. X, please - let's keep the focus on the original thread started re: the Vanoc scandal re: the Callaghan Valley & the coverup.

It is so intriguing to see that circumstances/"players" surrounding an international ski resort for the Callaghan Valley that was suddenly derailed NOW are directly linked to specific people involved with the Bid Committee/Vanoc & the most expensive Nordic Venue funded by the taxpayers located in the Callaghan Valley.

Who, with any interest in what is happening with the 2010 Olympics run by Vanoc & the Govt. of BC wouldn't sit up and take notice? If you are not interested why continue to post & view this thread?

Sorry, but I was lost in what you were saying in context with this topic. Mr. X, the whole gist of this story is that there was a destination resort that a private company had been awarded the rights by the BC Govt's process but was suddenly derailed - a resort that clearly would have/can be a huge asset to the Olympics at private sector cost - NOT TAX $$$$$$$$! Think of the hotel rooms. Think of the Nordic Venue being built at private sector cost instead of taxpayers.

Who is benefiting from this Nordic Venue being funded by all of us taxpayers here in Canada, that was linked to the past in this scandal? As a taxpayer, I deserve to know how decisions were/are being made by Vanoc.

Clearly the number of quickly rising views, on both connected topics re: this scandal, has sparked a lot of interest as it did for me with "new evidence" being acted on by the RCMP & Provincial Ombudsman? The red flags are waving in the wind :unsure: my friend! But, no one is forcing you, including me, to "waste" your time. Just keep on truckin on by, instead.

The outline of the scandal including key names were detailed in two stories I posted here in the first topic below dealing with this scandal for any/all viewers that were interested.

For the record, Mr. X, apart from teasing you (that's anything but "arrogance" from me, so no need to get all huffy) :D I. . . . do feel it is important to focus on the facts if this discussion is to be meaningful & make the topic 'meaty', so to speak.

Opinions are all welcome but spewing misinformation doesn't add to the meal!!!! LOL Aren't you interested in learning more of what has been covered up so you can better understand what is going on with this scandal? I am & I believe most people are too. Let's hope they surface.

Further, I notice that you have not answered my questions as to where in the world you found your information on the Callaghan Valley stated as though they were facts - when they are simply NOT - glaringly obvious to any of us who know the Callaghan Valley & its micro climate giving it superior snow conditions to the neighboring ski area.

Some hills in the Callaghan Valley are suitable for downhill
Thanks for correcting yourself on reflection.
BTW those are HUGE MOUNTAINS, NOT "hills" as you referred to them :lol: . . . .in fact, there is a ring wall of 5 mountains connected by a massive glacier of 10 sq. miles that provides skiing year round & vast open powder bowls/long downhill runs. Just ask Todd Brooker. Just ask my many friends who have skied there. Again, are you an alpine skier?

Admittedly, I tease you. On a more serious note, I also will correct statements that you make that are factually wrong apart from your opinions, which like anyone else's are welcome. I actually sensed that some of your comment came from sincerity, just not informed re: the Callaghan Valley.

You can bring your toys back anytime.

If you are not interested why continue to post & view this thread?

Because you entertain us all with your usual lunacy? ;)

The fact is this is not a scandal: it is nothing but wave after wave of assumptions. Do you know what hammers down as a scandal? Official proof - as seen with the sponsorship scandal through the findings by the federal government's Auditor General and her report.....or better yet, use Salt Lake 2002 as an example. I want concrete proof straight from the officials. If that ever happens, then we'll talk.

Right now, it's all assumptions. There's absolutely nothing concrete to it, you'd probably be the most unsuccessful lawyer in the city if this is all you have.....you might as well link up all the stars with imaginary lines in the night sky and make whatever shapes/beings/animals your kids want.

At this point, this case is nothing more than something interesting the RCMP should look into for any wrong doing. It's as simple as that. The RCMP does this kind of investigating all the time and usually it turns out to be nothing.

Logical and reasonable people will look at it that way. You're always innocent until proven guilty. But until then, stop spamming the forums with the same old "news".

BTW those are HUGE MOUNTAINS, NOT "hills" as you referred to them laugh.gif . . . .in fact, there is a ring wall of 5 mountains connected by a massive glacier of 10 sq. miles that provides skiing year round & vast open powder bowls/long downhill runs.

If you ever went skiing, you'd know the term "ski hills". :rolleyes:

Opinions are all welcome but spewing misinformation doesn't add to the meal!

You mean like how you spew that VANOC is handling "billions" of your tax dollars when it really only has $580 million?

My support for VANOC and these Games are conditional. And right now, we've got venues slated for the earliest completion in Olympic history very much unlike our predecessors in Athens and Torino. The venue budget is also stable, and on budget.....the $110 million inflation we saw couldn't have been helped, and it's clearly not VANOC's fault when all other condo/private projects and public projects are seeing huge increases to labour and materials cost. In fact, that $110 million is LITTLE compared to Athens and Torino. Why don't you think the IOC isn't worrying over our venue program unlike Torino and Athens? It's self explanatory.

We have the Games, they aren't going away and we might as well make the best of them while they are here and show what Vancouverites and British Columbians AND Canadians can accomplish.

There was actually a time I was vehemently against the 2010 bid, when there was talk about spending anywhere from $2-5 billion to build a new highway through Grouse Mountain to Whistler or a high-speed rail connection to the resort town. It would've been a terribly waste of money when we could spend a fraction as much on improving the Sea-to-Sky, which was the final decision. Not to mention that according to old government reports, the Sea-to-Sky was set for a major overhaul anyway for 2012.

Good morning, Mr. X :)

It would be such a breath of fresh air if you would actually respond & absort what I have written above & answer the questions I posed to you as to where you got all of your misinformation you wrote above.

Anyway, you are more than welcome to keep your head in the clouds. :rolleyes:

Frankly, if you were honest, you would admit your interest sparked like mine & tons of other people, really curious about all of this stuff. No problem, Mr.X. I find you very entertaining, too! Have a good day.

Good morning, Mr. X :)

It would be such a breath of fresh air if you would actually respond & absort what I have written above & answer the questions I posed to you as to where you got all of your misinformation you wrote above.

Anyway, you are more than welcome to keep your head in the clouds. :rolleyes:

Frankly, if you were honest, you would admit your interest sparked like mine & tons of other people, really curious about all of this stuff. No problem, Mr.X. I find you very entertaining, too! Have a good day.

You know, you should be the one explaining where you get all your information....or rather how you twist every bit of your misinformation. :rolleyes: My knowledge comes from years of research about these Games, including the site of the Nordic venue. I've carefully followed it way before the bid started. Perhaps I don't respond to everything because it's the same old filth I've already responded to? ;)

You can't stand that I have logic and reason to my side of the argument can you? :P ......If all you can manage to say to my previous post [based on logic and reason] is "keep your head in the clouds". Did you ever go to school? Because it doesn't sound like you ever did. Have you ever heard of listening to both sides of the argument? I doubt you have.

Either you're one of the most unintelligent people I've ever talked to or you have an agenda and you're connected with the Hartwicks.

Anyhow, you're not worth any of my time....or anybody else's.

Wow. It's good that I made you laugh but I really didn't mean to be rude. There is no zest whatsoever in what Vancouver is doing. I am so diappointed in that city. Maybe they should bring the winter games down here to the caribbean! Whadayasay?

Not to be rude either, but I doubt you know what's going on in another city thousands of kilometres away. There are still two and a half years until the Games so of course there isn't any excitement or "zest" yet. There never was with Athens and Torino either, other than news of major construction problems and media hyped news on whether Athens would be ready for 2004.

If you want something that doesn't have any excitement, look at Torino 2006. IOC President Jacques Rogge had to fly to Italy to let organizers and the governments know how crucial getting the public involved was. Italians, even weeks before the Games, had very little interest in the Torino Olympics....some didn't even know Piedmont was hosting the Games. There was so little excitement and public awareness of the Italian Games that it was hard for organizers to come up with their needed domestic sponsorship revenue.

But so far with Vancouver, all is good. The pace of activity should pick up with this November's unveiling of the 2010 mascots, the 2010 Cultural Olympiad starts in January, and the marketing plan will be in full action next year.

Laying out all the facts here:

- Vancouver's sport venues are set for one of the earliest completions in Olympic history. Nearly all the venues will be completed this November, with the remaining to be completed in Fall 2008.

- Vancouver's venues are relatively on budget....nothing remotely close to the inflated billions seen in Athens and Torino.

- Sponsorship and tv rights revenues are through the roof. Nearly 100% for domestic sponsorships (nearly $800 million from about $400 million) and more than a 50% increase in IOC sponsorships/tv rights revenues.

And some quotes from the Vancouver Sun and GamesBids articles about this week's IOC Commission visit to Vancouver:

Rene Fasel, chairman of the coordination commission said, “we were all impressed about the venues and the sites. They will be finished next year and this is just unbelievable, it never happens in the Games. This timing, to have the different sites ready, is for the federation very impressive”.
Like all other coordination commission meetings in the past, the IOC had little criticism of the work Vanoc, its franchise holder, is doing. In fact, Felli and Fasel were hard-pressed to offer up any concerns, noting that everything from the construction of venues to the status of operational finances appear to be in fine form.

For the IOC, this is a welcome relief from other Olympics, where often construction schedules were delayed or the events suffered from a national malaise.

During the 2006 Turin Olympics, for example, IOC President Jacques Rogge had to personally visit Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi to raise concerns over the lack of federal government participation in the Games. And the last Summer Games, in Athens in 2004, was marked by major delays in construction.

But Vancouver has avoided those kinds of problems, winning praise from Fasel for the fact its venues will be ready far in advance of the events. He said Vanoc, in completing most of its venues this year, has accomplished something that has eluded most other organizing committees.

So tell me Mr. X, we have have already established that you are a cheerleader for all things 'Vanoc' albeit totally void of reality re: the Callaghan Valley & what this topic is all about.

Mr. X, you are a little confused: I am not arguing with anyone. Just sticking to the facts of those articles & what I know about the Callaghan Valley. I have to admit I do have a close perspective re: Vanoc's inner workings - careful I might be sitting next to you - tee hee!!!

Instead of shooting from your lip - give me a specific example of where you believe I have "twisted. . . . misinformation". Specifics please.

You informed us all that

My knowledge comes from years of research about these Games, including the site of the Nordic venue.
. . . . Oh, really! which brings me back to my questions you have not answered:

• Since you were out to lunch on the statements about the Callaghan Valley for the many people who do know the facts, where did you do your research? Certainly not from first hand knowledge from you statements! Fess up.
  • Do you ski?
  • Please differentiate between a "hill" & a "mountain"
  • Have you consulted World Champion Todd Brooker lately re: the conditions on the Callaghan Valley or . . . . . . .like I suspect . . do you believe you know better than he does?

I'm curious: if you are not a paid spin master for Vanoc or Johnny Furlong trying desperately to keep his head above the waves of the rising tsunami . . . .or maybe maybe a relative feeling the need to reach out & help . . . . .

• Why have you started just about every thread on the 2010 site?
  • Why do you feel the need to have the last spin on the majority of the topics?
  • Do you ever work other than post on this site?
  • Do you take time out to eat?
  • Is your laptop glued to lap/leg so that you can ramble on wherever you are as you drift along in your fog of unquestionable loyalty to Vanoc losing touch of all reality?
  • Don't you ever get dizzy from all that spinning & regurgitation of smoke & mirrors?

You'd be an interesting subject for my Doctoral Thesis, Mr/Ms X : "An obsessive compulsive Vanoc Cheerleader & the Underlying Cause(s)". . . .Hmmmm could have something to do with the company you keep LOL!!!!

Please don't clutter up this thread with your blather (snore zzzzzzz - b-o-r-r-i-n-g) that is off topic. That belongs on your cheer leading threads that YOUstarted not this one. GB Moderator like us all to stay on topic. :)

I am still chuckling Ruling Czar . . . the IOC & Furlong kind of looked like what you described above, as they gave their press conference glossing over all of the problems as the universe provided perfect synchronicity at the same time:

a huge landslide on the Sea to Sky Highway where they were blasting!!!! Great metaphor: Kind of says it all, doesn't it? An Omen indeed!

Here's the deal:

I like your idea:

Maybe they should bring the winter games down here to the Caribbean
Please, take them . . . & I'll visit you!

That might just be the answer to starting fresh with some "zest" :lol: Shake things up a bit LOL!!!

Wow. It's good that I made you laugh but I really didn't mean to be rude. There is no zest whatsoever in what Vancouver is doing. I am so diappointed in that city. Maybe they should bring the winter games down here to the caribbean! Whadayasay?

:rolleyes:

I am with you ""Ruling Czar""" Bring the Olympics too Caribbean..

I also agree with earseyeswideopen..

This is costing us tax payers lots of moola. This is not the start it has been going on since the bid was obtained...10 years, 20 years ago ???

Then the road has problems , of coarse to the Olympic site.. Who is paying for that , landslides and repair and on and on and on. :o

Sure excitement for the Olympics??? Not when so much graft and cheating is going on, just to get there. :angry:

I for one would like to see it STOPPED, I would like to see RIGHTFUL OWNERS OF POWDER MTN, GIVEN BACK TO THEM, THEY WERE GIVEN THE RIGHT.... I AM LOVEING READING THE NEW PART 11 by Bob Mackin....Go BOB...I want more...

:rolleyes:

Mr.X,

It's been a long time since I noticed you and with good reason. I bet you these games are not going to be as defining as they should be or better yet, as so many canadians would like them to be. The IOC will, of course, pretend everything is ok until.... bad planning, Bad architecture, bad foresight, bad viewership ratings + really beautiful city = catastrophic flop!

So DEAL Parker! ( to quote josh from the Mr. Meaty show)

Mr.X,

It's been a long time since I noticed you and with good reason. I bet you these games are not going to be as defining as they should be or better yet, as so many canadians would like them to be. The IOC will, of course, pretend everything is ok until.... bad planning, Bad architecture, bad foresight, bad viewership ratings + really beautiful city = catastrophic flop!

So DEAL Parker! ( to quote josh from the Mr. Meaty show)

I'm going to have to say that with the cultural programs, it does seem a bit dissapointing but I do think it will really pick up as we get closer to 2010. There's a lot of stale talent within the cultural department in VANOC. Anyhow, they're releasing the names of the Opening/Closing production team very soon and the 2010 mascots will be unveiled in November. We'll just have to wait for further judgement.....it would be great if they got people from Cirque du Soleil to produce/direct our ceremonies.

With planning, it's hardly bad....in fact great. VANOC has done exceptionally well with planning. Why would you think they've done a poor job?

With regards to architecture, how so? The new convention centre and speed skating oval are breathtaking structures. And then we've got GM Place - and everyone loves "the garage". Cypress Mountain, which will host freestyle skiing and snowboarding, has breathtaking panoramas of the city....then there's the beautiful drive up the Sea-to-Sky (hopefully we won't see any accidents Games time) and then there's the Nordic Centre at the beautiful Callaghan Valley.....and of course, Whistler/Blackcomb with its downhill venue at Creekside. These are all beautiful and great venues. We also have one of the best designed airports in the world.

The only two venues that may be of dissapoint (or rather, are dissapoints) are BC Place/Olympic Stadium and the secondary ice hockey facility at UBC. I doubt many, on tv and in print, would see the exterior of the ice hockey facility. It's certainly no architectural masterpiece, but it certainly isn't an ugly-ducking either. Salt Lake's secondary ice hockey facility wasn't all that architectually pleasing either.

I've always wished they had done a huge renovation of BC Place in time for the Games. Though VANOC nor the governments are willing to do that, I doubt they'd let the world see our Olympic Stadium as is. They will be doing a lot of cosmetic makeovers on that building, and there's already rumours of giant building wraps surrounding the building facade. And there's also that secret Pavco report that was sent to the Liberal cabinet, on rumoured major renovation recommendations in time for 2010. That building needs new seats, new lighting and sound/acoustics, and a new videoboard.

I don't see how there would be poor tv ratings. There was a spike in 2010 IOC tv rights. You can for sure bet that Canadians will be watching (CTV Globemedia and Rogers spent an outrageous US$90 million to acquire Canadian 2010 tv rights), and the Americans as well. NBC knows that, with Vancouver being compatible with the all-important eastern time zone.....just four hours away, they spent US$820 million on Vancouver 2010. In comparisson, that's double what CBC payed for 2006 and about $200 million more than what NBC payed for 2006. European and Asian television rights have also seen substantial increases.....there's quite a large international interest in the Vancouver 2010 Games. The IOC recently reported that there was a large spike in the number of requests by world media for hotel rooms. In many ways, Vancouver is the Sydney 2000 of the Winter Olympics.

But the best way to get tv ratings is scandal.....just look at Salt Lake and its figure skating scandal. ;)

I can assure you that at the present stage, the IOC is much more pleased with Vancouver preparation than they were with Torino at about the same time (not surprising considering that VANOC is the first Winter Games OCOG getting full benefit from the OGKT programme).

I think that's a rather harsh assessment of a Games that have not happened yet. Maybe in some respects Vancouver is a bit boring because they are an incredibly safe city in which to host the Games. Most of the venues and infrastructure are there. And Vancouver is wedged inbetween massive Games in Beijing and London where there is big money being spent on big venues and these Games follow a couple of Olympics in Southern Europe where deadlines were close to not being made. Vanoc's biggest sin? They have managed the organization of the Games well and may be a bit boring because there are no major scandals (this Hartwick thing scores as much as a fart on the Olympic scandal Richeter scale) and no major delays and no massive overuns like in other cities. It is still only 2.5 years out - lots can happen - but at this stage, it is best to be a bit boring so you don't get Olympic fatigue just before the curtain lifts.