Hey guys, What do you think has been the best ceremonies? There 3 categories

1. The Best Olympic Summer Opening Ceremony

2. The best Olympic Summer Closing Ceremony

3. The Best Winter Olympic Opening Ceremony

Mines are. 1- Atlanta 1996

2- Sydney 2000

3- Salt Lake City 2002

What you guys think?

This topic never dies, huh? :lol: It's just because we're discussing it at least once a year.

However, I'll join in. And, by the way: Why isn't there a category "Best Winter Olympic Closing Ceremony"? I'll just add it as number 4.

1. Best Summer OC: Sydney 2000

2. Best Summer CC: Sydney 2000 (mostly because of the fireworks)

3. Best Winter OC: Lillehammer 1994 (although I still haven't seen more than excerpts :()

4. Best Winter CC: Hmmm... Torino's wasn't that bad because it was more cheerful, almost like a second opening ceremony. But I guess that Lillehammer's was again the best.

And just to complete the fun: The worst Olympic ceremonies

1. Worst Summer OC: I'm torn between Seoul 1988 (athletes had to leave stadium for the rest of the ceremony; terrible fireworks; dove barbecue) and Atlanta 1996 (pick-ups; cheerleaders; burning fry container)

2. Worst Summer CC: Athens 2004 (too many Greek songs and dull stage-only performances at the end)

3. Worst Winter OC: Nagano 1998 (lack of enthusiasm in the audience; daylight killed all the rest of the atmosphere -- thanks a lot, NBC, for getting your way!)

4. Worst Winter CC: all CCs which weren't staged at the OC venue

Some guy made a post like this previous year. The title of your post should be ''What is your favourite olympic ceremony'' since much of the users will have a different opinion about which was the best, and we will not go to anything with that.

My Top 5 favourite ceremonies (from both summer and winter) are:

SUMMMER

1- Barcelona

2- Athens

3- Sydney

4- Los Angeles

5- Atlanta

WINTER

1- Salt Lake City

2- Lillehammer (although i never had the chance to watch it complete, even after searching as well on the net)

3- Albertville (same as Lillehammer)

4- Calgary

5- Nagano

That was for the Opening ones, now for the closing:

SUMMER:

1- Barcelona (like the OC, spectacular, the giant plantes, the Fire Show (everything except for the Atlanta 96 crappy handover))

2- Sydney (a great cheerful ambient)

3- Atlanta (scenes like the giant olive branch stunt card trick, HOTEI and Michael Kamen performing during an extreme sports exhibition with BMX's...)

4- Los Angeles (Hollywood style show with that giant UFO and Lionel Richie ending the olympics with All Night Long)

5- Athens (Nothing spectacular, and too much greek singers, but it was ok. Liked the fireworks)

However, I'll join in. And, by the way: Why isn't there a category "Best Winter Olympic Closing Ceremony"? I'll just add it as number 4.

Cause the Winter Olympic CLosing Ceremonies are usually crap

Im out of topic but a question, why Seoul's opening was so early? for USA?

Possibly, but more likely because back in the day, all Olympic opening ceremonies took place during the day on the first Saturday of competition. Now they almost all take place on Friday evening. Albertville was the first I know of that opened at night, and 5 months later, Barcelona's began as the sun set.

Possibly, but more likely because back in the day, all Olympic opening ceremonies took place during the day on the first Saturday of competition. Now they almost all take place on Friday evening. Albertville was the first I know of that opened at night, and 5 months later, Barcelona's began as the sun set.

Thanks, I didn't know this fact :rolleyes:

The Albertville ceremonies opened also at sunset, not in the night. If you check the photos on the net of the parade of nations, you will see it.

Summer opening AND closing ceremonies : SYDNEY 2000

Winter opening AND closing ceremonies : SALT LAKE CITY 2002

But, special mention for Atlanta 96 and Athens 2004 opening ... very impressive.

Sydney 2000 is WONDERFUL ! The best one of all times !

I dont like the italian ceremonie because too modern, the music wasn't very good and too repetitive ...

Winter opening AND closing ceremonies : SALT LAKE CITY 2002

But, special mention for Atlanta 96 and Athens 2004 opening ... very impressive.

!

I dont like the italian ceremonie because too modern, the music wasn't very good and too repetitive ...

Agree with you on SALT LAKE CITY. Last night I 'dubbed' my VHS tape into a DVD and the Salt Lake Opening is in a class by itself -- in concept, execution, brevity and intent. (Of course, I would argue about LeAnn Rimes and the Dixie Chicks; but then again, you got Robbie Robertson for the Native Ameircan suite and Yo-Yo Ma and Sting.)

Also, the Salt Lake Paralympics had a smashing Opening Ceremony. That one was done by the Jack Morton Org.

Torino's indeed was surprisingly bad, considering it had Ric Birch at the helm. I think it tried too much.

Archived