Predictions For The Short-list

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

technical? :huh:

Yes, they have the technical capability to host a excellent games. Beyond technical capability lies an arena of politics and political reasons why a city should or shouldn't get the games, as well as PR etc.

I believe Torino et al are perfectly capable of putting on a great games, but I am not certain of whether they will be short listed. They should be, but Moscow, Singapore and Debrecen stand out at the minute.

I don't think that politics will prevail over technical for such a lower budget/attendance event as much as the major olympics. On the contrary.

But I agree that Singapore, Moscow and Debrecen stand out at the moment. Rather Torino and Athens seem doing a silent work.

I don't think that politics will prevail over technical for such a lower budget/attendance event as much as the major olympics. On the contrary.

But I agree that Singapore, Moscow and Debrecen stand out at the moment. Rather Torino and Athens seem doing a silent work.

By techinical, I am referring to the quality of the bid in terms of facilities, accomodation, transport, general organisation, finances etc. Outside issues include political issues, philosophical aims, ways in which the bid is marketed, lobbying, and sometimes geographical politics etc.

Take 2012, you had three very strong candidates in London, Paris and Madrid (New York had questions over the Olympic Stadium and Moscow had questions over their finances). All three had a technically brilliant plan, but things such as lobbying, politics and an aim to "inspire a generation to take up sport" led to London's win.

Take 2014 - Sochi was brilliant in many areas, there were also questions over some areas (the environment, for example), some of which still exist today. PyeongChang, however, was less controversial and technically of a higher standard. Sochi won, however, as its team were better connected and were better at lobbying, with political reasons (such as "the Putin effect"), and a desire to build winter sports facilities in Russia to "allow young people to follow their [sporting] dreams" also having an effect on the outcome.

A strong technical bid is one that would host a "perfect Games". A strong bid is one that meets the aims and objectives of the electing organisation.

Edited by Colonel Iredale

^^ if the CIO will follow the spirit they presented the YOGs with, the main aspect they'll follow it'll be technical. or better, just technical. no new venues, excellent accomodation, easiest way of moving people, best cultural program made for young people...

the intention (at least that) YoGs'll be an educational moment, more than an economic one, hopefully only educational.

i do agree athens and turin are doing a silent but constant and strong work. debrecen proposal to me it's very poor and with no charme.

If technical bids are similar surely other factors become involved. Plus, if an IOC member is friends with someone on a certain bid committee, they might vote that way. Singapore sent a delegation to Lausanne to lobby about 8 or so IOC members at the IOC headquarters a few weeks ago, as another example. The bids won't be decided purely on a technical basis as long as lobbying and marketing is allowed.

If technical bids are similar surely other factors become involved. Plus, if an IOC member is friends with someone on a certain bid committee, they might vote that way. Singapore sent a delegation to Lausanne to lobby about 8 or so IOC members at the IOC headquarters a few weeks ago, as another example. The bids won't be decided purely on a technical basis as long as lobbying and marketing is allowed.

But then it's always the case, it's not specific to the YOG.

Debrecen has hosted just as much or more as many of these cities in the last 7 years. Debrecen is exactly what the IOC wanted, a city that is primarily a university town, that requires little infrastructure, which has no chance of hosting the Olympics. Also the IOC should reward Hungary for their century of work in sport.

Debrecen has hosted just as much or more as many of these cities in the last 7 years. Debrecen is exactly what the IOC wanted, a city that is primarily a university town, that requires little infrastructure, which has no chance of hosting the Olympics. Also the IOC should reward Hungary for their century of work in sport.

I 100% agree.

Debrecen is what the IOC claims it is looking for the YOG: simple, youthful, ready, compact.

My only concern is that with very little opportunity of promoting the bids, I think Athens, Moscow, Torino and even possibly Singapore (that the IOC members know thanks to the 2005 Session) have an edge over Debrecen.

I 100% agree.

Debrecen is what the IOC claims it is looking for the YOG: simple, youthful, ready, compact.

My only concern is that with very little opportunity of promoting the bids, I think Athens, Moscow, Torino and even possibly Singapore (that the IOC members know thanks to the 2005 Session) have an edge over Debrecen.

The chatter that I have been getting (from gamesbids and others) is Moscow, Athens, Debrecen and Singapore. Debrecen has a lot of contacts within the IFs because of their vast experience in hosting world championships and other events. I really hope Debrecen gets it, if not Debrecen, Singapore. I think Debrecen would be a great experience for the youth, moreso than Moscow at least.

Bangkok (my favourite to win the bid)

Don't know much about Bangkok 2010.

Having just hosted the Universiad is certainly a strong point for Bangkok.

I just feel Bangkok is too big for the YOG.

Unless they can come up with a fairly compact plan (unlike the Bangkok 2008 plan which was spread out all over the city), I wouldn't be a huge fan of Bangkok (my fear is that the YOG would be "diluted" in this city).