Predictions For The Short-list

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well .. I see 3 options

1. The goverment is considering to built a 10 000- 15 000 football stadium in Toa Payoh (Its pronouced as To-a Pa-yo).

2. A 25 000 seater temporary stadium can be built at the Padang, which is about 5-10 minute walk from the floating stadium.

3. There is a small strip of road in front of the floating stadium which can be used - this is the same strip of road which is used for the Singapore F1 Grand Prix 2008.

Actually , I am not that sure myself . If I am not wrong , Soccer . As for the Athletics , I think it could be held on the floating stadium . The platform is pinned down on the seabed so the water will not affect it.

Do you know whether the platform is large enough to host a track (from the pictures I have seen, it seems too small but it's difficult to tell)?

• 1 month later...

I think the four (five is a good number) Candidate Cities will be:

1. Athens, Greece (My favourite, good luck!)

2. Moscow, Russia (They have Sochi 2014, I can't understand why they want these Games)

3. Torino/Turin, Italy (after those successful winter games I just can imagine Torino as a winter city, but I know it isn't)

4. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (its geogrphical zone has never hosted the Olympics, this can be a good start)

5. Algiers (I know it sounds strange but the 2007 All-African Games were 'good' and this can be the first African Olympic Event)

Belgrade will have a technical bid better than Algiers but with Belgrade in the short-list they would be 4 European Cities with only 1 non-European. Guatemala is a bit poor :unsure:

Good luck to all them but my favourite is Athens: they also have to start the Youth Summer Games, and Athens is so beautiful...

1. Athens, Greece (My favourite, good luck!)

2. Moscow, Russia (They have Sochi 2014, I can't understand why they want these Games)

3. Torino/Turin, Italy (after those successful winter games I just can imagine Torino as a winter city, but I know it isn't)

4. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (its geogrphical zone has never hosted the Olympics, this can be a good start)

5. Algiers (I know it sounds strange but the 2007 All-African Games were 'good' and this can be the first African Olympic Event)

Belgrade will have a technical bid better than Algiers but with Belgrade in the short-list they would be 4 European Cities with only 1 non-European. Guatemala is a bit poor :unsure:

Good luck to all them but my favourite is Athens: they also have to start the Youth Summer Games, and Athens is so beautiful...

Hate to disapoint you, but Algires chicken out and failed to answer or submit the questionaire.

After the head of the Malaysian Olympic Committee publicly announced it was very reluctantly supporting KL bid, I doubt KL will be shortlisted...

On the other hand, I cannot see how Singapore could miss the shortlist.

Yes, that little Debrecen, there gonna be the dark horse in this race.......

I agree that, from what we have heard so far, Debrecen seems to have a quite different but exciting plan (very compact and green: everything within walking or biking distance). Hope we'll get to see their bid book.

It would be very fitting to have the first YOG in a country not part of the traditional hosts (I am thinking Athens, Torino and Moscow).

I agree that, from what we have heard so far, Debrecen seems to have a quite different but exciting plan (very compact and green: everything within walking or biking distance). Hope we'll get to see their bid book.

It would be very fitting to have the first YOG in a country not part of the traditional hosts (I am thinking Athens, Torino and Moscow).

I have the feeling that the IOC wanted idealistically to have "non-Olympic" nations to bid for these Games, when they created it at the Guatemala City IOC Session. Besides, I still have an opinion as such right now. If the IOC chooses the first YOG for 2010 to places like Debrecen or Singapore, then there could be some hope that it won't go to the way its senior counterpart has already gone.

Interesting to see that sailing's been confirmed for the YOG. I know it's dinghy and sailboarding stuff, so I imagine an open sea port is not going to that vital, nevertheless, it's a test to see how landlocked countries like Hungary can haandle such requirements.

You know - I've tried to muster some enthusiasm for this event but it just is not going to come. This just seems another way for the IOC to earn some sponsorship revenue while ten (10!) cities get suckered into the idea of running a profitable sporting event!

Will the Youth Games mean that we wont see 13 year old Chinese gymnasts and 14 year old Mexican divers in Beijing? No. So what is the point?

Stupid idea.

So frankly I dont give a sh*t who gets them because lets be honest they are rather silly and they probably wont get any TV coverage anyway.

For argument sake we have only seen the Debrecen plans thus far - so they have the best plan in my eyes!

why does this latest 'brainchild' of the IOC soooo NOT excite me at all? :(

It just seems like another DESPERATE attempt to line their Swiss bank accounts more. What? The gnomes of Zurich and Lausanne don't have enough euros and dollars and yuan to count? :rolleyes: Please.

I hope they get sponsor burn-out and all the big globals start pulling out.

xx

Edited by baron-pierreIV

why does this latest 'brainchild' of the IOC soooo NOT excite me at all? :(

It just seems like another DESPERATE attempt to line their Swiss bank accounts more. What? The gnomes of Zurich and Lausanne don't have enough euros and dollars and yuan to count? :rolleyes: Please.

I hope they get sponsor burn-out and all the big globals start pulling out.

xx

Actually, Baron, if you had made the tiny effort of doing some research before doing your usual moaning/bashing/complaining, you would have learned that the IOC is very unlikely to make any money out of the YOG. It will actually pay for a lot of expenses that are usually in charge of OCOG (athletes travel to the host city + OV stay will be covered by the IOC).

For me it's more an effort of Rogge creating a tangible legagcy.

Actually, Baron, if you had made the tiny effort of doing some research before doing your usual moaning/bashing/complaining, you would have learned that the IOC is very unlikely to make any money out of the YOG. It will actually pay for a lot of expenses that are usually in charge of OCOG (athletes travel to the host city + OV stay will be covered by the IOC).

For me it's more an effort of Rogge creating a tangible legagcy.

What? U mean I have to read something that says it won't be a 'moneymaker' for the IOC :blink: and will NOT involve white elephants and super-extravagant plans? Rogge legacy? Grand Ceremonies w/ him in it should be enough legacy for him.

THen it's false; entirely fabricated, so -- not my kind of reading. Thank you very much I will choose my own reading. <_<

What? U mean I have to read something that says it won't be a 'moneymaker' for the IOC :blink: and will NOT involve white elephants and super-extravagant plans? Rogge legacy? Grand Ceremonies w/ him in it should be enough legacy for him.

THen it's false; entirely fabricated, so -- not my kind of reading. Thank you very much I will choose my own reading. <_<

Wait a minute, you mean you can read! :P

The only thing you would have to read then is the YOG Candidate Cities manual that states:

• the IOC will cover the travel and accommodation costs for all delegations + Olympic Family (not the case at the Olympics)
  • no new venues should be built by a city for hosting the YOG (so there should be no white elephant)
  • there won't be broadcasting rights, the olympic right holders being provided YOG highlights

That's for the principles.

Now, we shall soon see whether the IOC membership will follow these principles or not. If the IOC choses to go to Debrecen or Singapore then the YOG can be something different than just another olympic mega-event and will be a real opportunity to spread the Olympic Movement to smaller countries/cities. If the IOC goes with Athens, Torino or Moscow then I fear the YOG will rapidly become another mega event that only a few cities in the world can host.

Wait a minute, you mean you can read! :P

The only thing you would have to read then is the YOG Candidate Cities manual that states:

• the IOC will cover the travel and accommodation costs for all delegations + Olympic Family (not the case at the Olympics)
  • no new venues should be built by a city for hosting the YOG (so there should be no white elephant)
  • there won't be broadcasting rights, the olympic right holders being provided YOG highlights

That's for the principles.

Now, we shall soon see whether the IOC membership will follow these principles or not. If the IOC choses to go to Debrecen or Singapore then the YOG can be something different than just another olympic mega-event and will be a real opportunity to spread the Olympic Movement to smaller countries/cities. If the IOC goes with Athens, Torino or Moscow then I fear the YOG will rapidly become another mega event that only a few cities in the world can host.

Agreed. However, I do not mind Greece in this matter because it is the nation that gave the world the Olympic Games in the first place. As for the others, they give me pause in what the ulterior motives are for them to wanting the Youth Olympic Games, if they have already hosted either one or both versions of its senior counterparts. Like, how many nations in the world REALLY can handle the overall logistics of hosting the REGULAR Olympic Games now? It seems to me that it is "not many." Even those nations that claim that they can host one, maybe hosting a Youth Olympic Games could dispel that myth to the IOC that a regular one for that particular nation is possible. Sort of like the way the IOC chooses which sports and events can or cannot be in the Olympic program because of the limit the IOC imposed upon itself to do so.

I thought the shortlist was too be announced yesterday, and it turns out it is next week. IOC confusing me, how dare they. I say Debrecen, Moscow and Singapore will definately get through. On a technical status, I see no reason why Athens, Torino, Poznan and Bangkok should get through too. I'm confident on saying if they will get through or not. Poznan has hosted a few rowing events, I believe. Bangkok is boring me at the minute, they need some more PR, or some PR full stop. Guatemala will get dropped, no argument there. KL should get in but its unlikely with such a low support from the Olympic Council.