Glasgow Beat Abuja On Evaluation Report

GBModerator

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Read GB top story

A very interesting report that uses language that is much stronger than you normally see in evaluation reports. Clearly impressed with Glasgow - and have a number of issues with the Abuja proposal.

Of course the voters can ignore the report, but from what i have read... they do so at their peril.

Come on Glasgow!

Who cares what JJ thinks.

Anyway, I've only had time to glance over the conclusions, I'll have a closer look at this later. But it seems technically Glasgow is a long way ahead of Abuja.

Some have predicted that there is a feeling within the CWGF that Africa should have a games either now or very soon. The question is, is that feeling strong enough to win through despite the Nigerian bid's problems? Because technically this is a no-brainer, Glasgow wins hands-down. But we knew that all along and still reckoned it was too close to call because we all know political and setimental factors would play a part.

What I would say, however, is from the implications of the conclusions of this report, for Abuja to get the games these sentiments will have to be overwhelming.

Hmm... In 2012, Paris evaluation report is better than London, in 2014 Pyeongchang report is better than Sochi....

Agreed. Its now up to the Glasgow Bid Committee to play it correctly in the weeks ahead. This report does not guarantee anything.

Here is the Glasgow response:

http://www.glasgow2014.com/Media-Centre/Ne...SION+REPORT.htm

Having just read the Evaluation Report in full I can only say that Nigeria should be worried. It appears from the wording that Glasgow comes out on top in ALL 16 sub-sections. It is an overwhelming support for Glasgow, where there appears to be issues with the Nigerian bid. It just shows what hard work the Glasgow committee have been doing behind the scenes will others have been accusing them of underhand tactics. Every single claim in the Glasgow bid is backed up with profesional backing for that area of expertise.

Hmm... In 2012, Paris evaluation report is better than London, in 2014 Pyeongchang report is better than Sochi....

I can't speak for the 2014 race as I didn't follow it closely, but 1) this is the CWGF, not the IOC and 2) Paris' technical advantage over London was marginal. This can't be compared to that in any way.

That said, you're point is correct. The technical reports aren't the be-all and end-all. But the closeness of 2012 meant that the IOC members could pretty much vote for any city with confidence. I'm not sure the CWGF members can say the same in this race.

I would be curious to know how the evaluation report regarding the 2010 games between Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and New Delhi, India came out - as we know what the result was there!

Well spoken and great case in point . New Delhi a city with 1940's Bakealite Dial Telephones for their fire department won over a City of Hamilton which modern communications equipment for everything and very good venues and transportation . Votes 46 to 22 in favor of the developing world over a city that would have hosted the 70 aniversery of the games in the place they started in .

Abuja is way ahead of New Dehli even today . Again CEO Mike Hooper said his report would probably be disregarded for politics.

If you want a very similar case you only have to look at the case of Beijings win over Toronto on 2001 which has a set of circumstances very similar to the Abuja VS Glasgow. Toronto had mayor Mel Lastman with his mouth destroyed a bid with the huge advantage of increasing TV revenues because of its global location . Glasgow has John Mac Beth comments in MAY.

IF you dont think punishment and black enpowerment will not be a factor here are two clips from the cbc for you. MAcBETHs comments were worse tying the Caribbeans into it LOL.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDCC-1-41-1373-8421...s/olympic_bids/

Notice the polite Kenyan High commissioner who didnt know what the reaction would be for their vote . Notice the African Canadain spokes person sent to do the interview for damage control who was on the executive of the IOC and on the Toronto bid committee.

Then you have the result 22 days later

http://archives.cbc.ca/400d.asp?id=1-41-1373-8391

Then you have the result. Notice the Canadian Dick Pound the Vice president of the IOC at the time getting peppered with embarassing questions about Mayor Lastmen. Notice the un sportmanlike comments from Sore Loser Marty MacBEan when Toronto lost LOL. Almost like the We were the Best bid talk LOL.

Beijing won on politics and stupidness on the Mayor of Toronto's part.

and now for the comparision

Federation condemns comments, demand resignation of incoming FIFA vice president MacBeth.

(Monday, May 29, 2007) -- CONCACAF has strongly condemned recent comments of John MacBeth, a high-ranking international official who accused it and the African confederation of corruption and greed. CONCACAF president Jack Warner termed MacBeth's comments "racist."

CONCACAF, the United States' soccer federation, demanded that MacBeth, the outgoing Scottish Football Association president, resign before he was installed as a vice president of world governing body FIFA. Meanwhile, FIFA announced the position will remain vacant while the organization's ethics committee investigates MacBeth's remarks.

In comments made to reporters from several English Sunday newspapers, MacBeth also insulted FIFA president Sepp Blatter, saying he was "a tricky customer, but I suppose anyone in that position has to be because you're dealing with people who have a totally different code of ethics."

MacBeth's remarks started with him saying African representatives' ethics were different from the "fair play" attitude found in the United Kingdom.

"I know two or three (at FIFA) whom I'd want to count my fingers after shaking hands with them," MacBeth said. "If I come across corruption, I have to expose it. I must try to stay true to my beliefs and hope I don't get seduced. By and large, the four British countries know what fair play is and when we are stepping out of line. But, as soon as you hit Africa, it's a slightly different kettle of fish. They're poor nations and want to grab what they can. I presume the Caribbean is much the same. They just come at it in a different way."

Gee there is a couple of other thing in common between Toronto 2008 and Glasgow 2014. Two Female spokesperson echoing the same sentiments and buzz words on the executive boards of the federation or the IOC in Charmaine Crooks case. Louise Martin is on the board of the commonwealth games federation LOL.

Like Yogi Berra said "it looks like deja vi all over again " The big thing for Glasgow is they actually have fewer white countries to vote fro them then Toronto did and most white people actually look at comments from a Mel Lastman or John Macbeth for what they are in Jack Warners words "Racist". John Mac beth is a general reflex of scotland after all they cant even get over the glencoe thing

ROTFLMAO boys be sure you have your lipstick and marty mac bean wigs you will need them LOL

The question is has an odds on favourite ever won these things or what some people think is the better bid ?

If you read throught the evaluation you don't see the words about security concerns , Malaria and so on that some here have labelled as points against Abuja. you see approvals for every single venue on the ground today which of course need upgrades.

The problems that I have seen in the proposed venues seems to revolve around commerical right of privately owned venues .

Rugby Sevens I might see that not being up to that federations wants for seating. Of course hey it just means you sell out the place instead of having 20000 empty seats as they had in Melbourne.

Jim Jones

Lets be honest about this - despite what JJ has been saying about their wonderful facilities and infrastructure - the Evaluation Commission have a completely different view. The language they have used just about stops short of saying that they cannot do it, but it is not far away from that.

Again, despite what people may or may not be saying, we have not seen any evidence of an African block vote, let alone some kind of holy alliance between Africa and the Caribbean.

The race is still wide open - but we should take into account the effect of this report. It must have hurt Abuja's chances considerably.

This is not about gays, racism or anything else. This is a technical report which praises Glasgow and criticises Abuja.

Well thats what Ive been saying along. I think the evaluation report is even harsher than what I was with Abuja.

But that was never the issue, Glasgow was always going to be the stronger bid. Abuja needs to pick itself up and keep moving. It all comes down to votes. Some real issues will need to be addressed if Abuja gets the nod and I would certainly like to visit Abuja and see it succeed. Abuja should be commended for trying and presenting a good bid even if there are numerous other cities in Africa more capable. Its final presentation could decide things and it will need to push the sentiment factor of the first CWG in Africa. I certainly would.

Setting the pace in race for 2014

Comment | Read Comments (4)

Gerry Braiden and Doug Gillon

It is, by any measure, a giant step forward for Scotland in the race to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games. The ringing endorsement of Glasgow over Abuja is testimony to the vision, the professionalism and the sheer effort of the Scots bid team.

But for most of those involved in the three-year effort to attract the biggest sporting occasion ever to be held in Glasgow, yesterday's report by the evaluation commission of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) will be greeted with relief as much as delight.

The reality is that, if the Glasgow bid is successful, then it will have won over not only an oil-rich African superpower capable of offering legitimate financial incentives to other Commonwealth members to vote for it, but also the sentiment of Africa hosting the Games for the first time.

advertisement

It concludes: "A number of matters remain of concern. The Evaluation Commission is of the view that there are a number of areas, as detailed throughout the report, which require further attention and development within the proposals put forward by Abuja and any decision to award the Games to Abuja should be conditional on these matters being addressed."

But Mr Purcell's pledge to "stamp on any cockiness" should be well heeded.

This is a tortoise and hare contest. Hamilton, Ontario, received a similarly glowing testimonial, but the 2010 Games will be held in Delhi, which offered a multi-million pound support package on the eve of that vote. Canadians were bitter. India had bought the Games.

There is no danger of a similar pre-emptive last-minute strike before the vote on November 9 in Sri Lanka. The CGF has since initiated a package of reforms. Hands had to be declared long ago, in the manner of a sealed tender, but the package offered by oil-rich Nigeria is worth $25,000 more to each of the 71 Commonwealth countries than Glasgow's. It has been encouraging for Glasgow to hear a remark echoed by several Commonwealth nations: "We cannot be bought."

Louise Martin, chair of the Commonwealth Games Council for Scotland, said: "We will use every minute of every day we have left before the vote in Sri Lanka to continue to promote our Games. We will not take our foot off the gas."

Although the document is not binding on those who will vote, Glasgow's strategy of preparing for a memorable Games for competitors seems about to pay off.

In retrospect, the Mel Lastman gaffe had little or no impact on the 2008 results. There were far more powerful politics already in place that steered the decision. Post analysis showed that perhaps 2 or 3 votes at most MAY have been swayed, and they likely went to cities other than Beijing. In fact, Mel Lastman's leadership and personality was seen as a driving force in Toronto's bid that may have enabled it to place second instead of further behind so I am certain he did not "destroy the bid". I don't think your comparison is valid.

In a more recent example of a Mayorial gaffe - London's Ken Livingstone made headlines with racist remarks during the 2012 campaign and we all know how little that impacted the final results.

Well spoken and great case in point . New Delhi a city with 1940's Bakealite Dial Telephones for their fire department won over a City of Hamilton which modern communications equipment for everything and very good venues and transportation . Votes 46 to 22 in favor of the developing world over a city that would have hosted the 70 aniversery of the games in the place they started in .

Abuja is way ahead of New Dehli even today . Again CEO Mike Hooper said his report would probably be disregarded for politics.

If you want a very similar case you only have to look at the case of Beijings win over Toronto on 2001 which has a set of circumstances very similar to the Abuja VS Glasgow. Toronto had mayor Mel Lastman with his mouth destroyed a bid with the huge advantage of increasing TV revenues because of its global location . Glasgow has John Mac Beth comments in MAY.

IF you dont think punishment and black enpowerment will not be a factor here are two clips from the cbc for you. MAcBETHs comments were worse tying the Caribbeans into it LOL.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDCC-1-41-1373-8421...s/olympic_bids/

Notice the polite Kenyan High commissioner who didnt know what the reaction would be for their vote . Notice the African Canadain spokes person sent to do the interview for damage control who was on the executive of the IOC and on the Toronto bid committee.

Then you have the result 22 days later

http://archives.cbc.ca/400d.asp?id=1-41-1373-8391

Then you have the result. Notice the Canadian Dick Pound the Vice president of the IOC at the time getting peppered with embarassing questions about Mayor Lastmen. Notice the un sportmanlike comments from Sore Loser Marty MacBEan when Toronto lost LOL. Almost like the We were the Best bid talk LOL.

Beijing won on politics and stupidness on the Mayor of Toronto's part.

and now for the comparision

Federation condemns comments, demand resignation of incoming FIFA vice president MacBeth.

(Monday, May 29, 2007) -- CONCACAF has strongly condemned recent comments of John MacBeth, a high-ranking international official who accused it and the African confederation of corruption and greed. CONCACAF president Jack Warner termed MacBeth's comments "racist."

CONCACAF, the United States' soccer federation, demanded that MacBeth, the outgoing Scottish Football Association president, resign before he was installed as a vice president of world governing body FIFA. Meanwhile, FIFA announced the position will remain vacant while the organization's ethics committee investigates MacBeth's remarks.

In comments made to reporters from several English Sunday newspapers, MacBeth also insulted FIFA president Sepp Blatter, saying he was "a tricky customer, but I suppose anyone in that position has to be because you're dealing with people who have a totally different code of ethics."

MacBeth's remarks started with him saying African representatives' ethics were different from the "fair play" attitude found in the United Kingdom.

"I know two or three (at FIFA) whom I'd want to count my fingers after shaking hands with them," MacBeth said. "If I come across corruption, I have to expose it. I must try to stay true to my beliefs and hope I don't get seduced. By and large, the four British countries know what fair play is and when we are stepping out of line. But, as soon as you hit Africa, it's a slightly different kettle of fish. They're poor nations and want to grab what they can. I presume the Caribbean is much the same. They just come at it in a different way."

Gee there is a couple of other thing in common between Toronto 2008 and Glasgow 2014. Two Female spokesperson echoing the same sentiments and buzz words on the executive boards of the federation or the IOC in Charmaine Crooks case. Louise Martin is on the board of the commonwealth games federation LOL.

Like Yogi Berra said "it looks like deja vi all over again " The big thing for Glasgow is they actually have fewer white countries to vote fro them then Toronto did and most white people actually look at comments from a Mel Lastman or John Macbeth for what they are in Jack Warners words "Racist". John Mac beth is a general reflex of scotland after all they cant even get over the glencoe thing

ROTFLMAO boys be sure you have your lipstick and marty mac bean wigs you will need them LOL

The question is has an odds on favourite ever won these things or what some people think is the better bid ?

If you read throught the evaluation you don't see the words about security concerns , Malaria and so on that some here have labelled as points against Abuja. you see approvals for every single venue on the ground today which of course need upgrades.

The problems that I have seen in the proposed venues seems to revolve around commerical right of privately owned venues .

Rugby Sevens I might see that not being up to that federations wants for seating. Of course hey it just means you sell out the place instead of having 20000 empty seats as they had in Melbourne.

Jim Jones

Its final presentation could decide things and it will need to push the sentiment factor of the first CWG in Africa. I certainly would.

If I were in the Abuja camp, I'd be doing the exact same thing because, after this report, that is the only big weapon they've got.

I beleive commonwealth is beyond just games. A common unity with fairness to member countries is the prefered word to use as many people in this forum as taken the time to express their view on the evalution and subsequences. Call it sentiment or not on the side of Abuja, there is every right to be given a fair hearing rather than history accorded with technicalities for the Scot. However, my view on the whole dicsusion about the games may not surpass all. The reputation of the word commonwealth has to bear it root on unity rather than vying for the best commonwealth games ever hosted. This doesn't prove that Abuja will host the best CMG but given a chance will mean a life-change the world is waiting to see in Africa. They world will have a different thought of Africa from among those that will be visiting. Scotland like every the big players needs to let go atleast for a member nation rather considering itself giant.

Archived