Bid Library - Now Open!

thatsnotmypuppy

Bid Library

EXCLUSIVE TO GAMESBIDS USERS!!

After a couple of months of uploading, I am happy to premiere to you lucky Olympic tragics my (thatsnotmypuppy) and Jeremie's (cfmJeremie) new site!

The opening welcome says all I can say -

Welcome to the most comprehensive online library dedicated solely to Olympic, Commonwealth Games and other sporting event bids. We all know that only one city or country can win the right to host an event; however we here at the Bid Library believe there is much to be learnt from those that don’t make the cut.

Within these pages you will find a selection of PDF documents from around the world. All involve the bidding or realisation of a dream. Be it a UEFA Euro tournament or the ultimate prize – the Olympic Games – each of these documents represents years of effort and dreaming.

A massive amount of hard work and energy goes into bidding for a sports event – and on this site we celebrate that effort.

So jump in and enjoy!

As soon as we find more goodies they will be uploaded – so keep checking back!

Thanks,

Troy and Jeremie

So hop on over - feel free to grab what you want. Just note I have 500G of bandwidth a month - so it may get slow as we reach that point (If we ever do!!).

Feel free to let me know if you have something you want to add!

Bid Library

PLEASE DON'T REQUEST OTHER BID BOOKS - I CAN ONLY UPLOAD WHAT I HAVE AND WILL ENDEAVOUR TO SOURCE MORE IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tanaka - the bid books are what cities submit to the IOC prior to being selected. Reports come after the Games. I don't have Seoul or Nagoya at the moment - I will see if I get them (may be able to find Nagoya - but will take a long time to scan and upload). I can upload some info on both bids sooner - but they are only summaries.

Tanaka - the bid books are what cities submit to the IOC prior to being selected. Reports come after the Games. I don't have Seoul or Nagoya at the moment - I will see if I get them (may be able to find Nagoya - but will take a long time to scan and upload). I can upload some info on both bids sooner - but they are only summaries.

hoo, thank you thatsnotmypuppy, I wish you can upload bid boof of seoul and nagoya... :D

• 2 weeks later...

OK - looks like we cant get this one pasted to the top of this forum - so here is an update!

We have added about 17 more chapters from the Paris 2008 bid books, the NYC 2012 revised bid document - showing the second planned stadium after the Manhattan one went by the wayside. Finally and most excitely - by popular demand - the Nagoya 1988 Bid Executive Summary!

Thanks to cfmJeremie and amorincognito for their submissions!

Bid Library

OK - looks like we cant get this one pasted to the top of this forum - so here is an update!

We have added about 17 more chapters from the Paris 2008 bid books, the NYC 2012 revised bid document - showing the second planned stadium after the Manhattan one went by the wayside. Finally and most excitely - by popular demand - the Nagoya 1988 Bid Executive Summary!

Thanks to cfmJeremie and amorincognito for their submissions!

Bid Library

woaaaaaaaaa, thatsnotmypuppy thank you for Nagoya 1988 bid book :D hontoni arigatou gozaimasu.... now i'm waiting for seoul 1988 bid book :D

If I was correct, 1988 was the 200th anniversary of Australia's founding, right? I remembered hearing the "Happy Birthday to Australia chant" at the Calgary 1988 opening ceremony. At the time, I didn't know why the crowd did that, after the team entered McMahon Stadium.

Yep - 1988 was the Bicentenary of the first fleet arriving in Sydney. Australia had been discovered numerous times before - but they were the first to have a sustained presence here.

Both Sydney and Melbourne proposed staging the Games in 1988, Melbourne got the AOC nomination, but then after the 1980 debacle (though Australia did attend the Moscow Games without Governmental support) the bid was scrapped.

A few IOC members I have had contact with have told me that an Australian bid may in fact have won the 1988 Games as neither Nagoya or Seoul impressed them at the time. That would have been an interesting Olympiad!

Yep - 1988 was the Bicentenary of the first fleet arriving in Sydney. Australia had been discovered numerous times before - but they were the first to have a sustained presence here.

Both Sydney and Melbourne proposed staging the Games in 1988, Melbourne got the AOC nomination, but then after the 1980 debacle (though Australia did attend the Moscow Games without Governmental support) the bid was scrapped.

A few IOC members I have had contact with have told me that an Australian bid may in fact have won the 1988 Games as neither Nagoya or Seoul impressed them at the time. That would have been an interesting Olympiad!

Funny, so in either case, 1984-1988 would still have been Pacific-set Olympiads. Interesting. Yeah, Seoul was really a soul-less Olympics.

Well, Athens also bid for 1988 - but there candidacy was a little different. The Greeks proposed (after the Munich/Montreal/Moscow trifecta) that they wanted the Games back for good - so their bid was for a permanent hosting of the Games. Obviously the IOC would never agree unless they have no willing bidders and no previous host will step up - thus, never!

Are you interested in posting mini bid books - especially those that didn't get short-listed? You might already have them but I can contribute just about all of them from 2008 forward.

For 2008 we are missing Osaka and Toronto that I haven't scanned yet so if you already have them on pdf we would definitely be interested.

From 2010 to 2014, I think we've got it covered.

Archived